“Great value”

Hotel Helang Langkawi
Ranked #42 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
“Great value”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We had recently stayed at Berjaya and rebak so this was a one night stay close to the airport. It was sooo quiet compared to rebak which had planes flying over all day. The place was empty and I felt sorry for the staff as they were so nice but outnumbered guests. They have a free shuttle to the beach and the dinner choice was excellent. We were amazed at the value and the pictures make it look far worse so the management should change them as it is a lovely hotel. If we had known we would have stayed here instead of rebak and paid 200 pounds a night less!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I stayed here for two nights (not consecutively) during my stay in Langkawi, and both rooms were great. Very spacious, comfortable beds and pillows, good functioning air conditioning, and a bathroom with had both a shower room and a bath with shower. The whole hotel was spacious and comfortable, and it's location right next to the hotel was quite practical. Some may prefer to be near the beach, but I preferred the assurance of a quiet night's rest, which is exactly what I got.
The staff was friendly, I appreciated the option to extend the check-out time as well. My complaints are only two:
1. I needed to print out my boarding pass for my flight but their internet/computer desk isn't equipped with a printer; and
2. The food was pretty bad, in my opinion. At dinner the choices were limited, and I found flies flying on and around the fruit (the best part of dinner, in my opinion). The breakfast was marginally better, but among the breakfast options were the leftovers for dinner, which I wasn't impressed with at all. The waffle and omlette stand was enticing, until I found that the waffles tasted like omlettes. I stuck to toast.

Still, for its location and facilities I would certainly return here, especially as they're in the middle of a refurbishment. I just wouldn't eat here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank globetrotter1979
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Good location beside the Airport where u can get all ur stuff from there ,Walkable distance ,Clean ,Check in takes long time as there is only one Lady (Very Slow) while the hotel were serving full house day ,Room service is ok ,Pool is nice while there was some repair man looking all the time to the girls
No sea avaiable
U either rent a car or Pay 20 RMM for the taxi driver for each time u want to go to the beach
U can reserve on booking.com
Some rooms have no lockers

Room Tip: Choose the room on the pool side where u can see planes landing
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Centrally located but need a hire car to get to attractions. Fine choice for high season when other prices too high and accommodation hard to come by.

Rooms large and generally OK - although one party member had a cockroach problem which staff failed to deal with. Seemed to be isolated to that one room.

Service shabby at times - tables used for drinking at night not cleaned for breakfast the next morning so sticky and full ashtrays, slow service in general.

Breakfast was fine, omelettes great and nice local specialties.

Fitness centre was antiquated.

Pool fine.

Despite being next to airport there were no noise issues.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Pros: So close to the airport. It's walkable. No noise from the airport though. Great if you are just passing through. We ended up going directly to Koh Lipe, Thailand.

The breakfast wasn't bad at all. It was a mix of eastern and western style. It seemed there was a lot of variety in the foods we could eat each morning.

Renting a car was a breeze with the hotel concierge.

The rooms were very clean.

The swimming pool was really great.

The service was good and we really didn't have any problems. The staff was very kind and very professional. The "16" yr old staff member named Adly was amazingly wonderful to us.

Cons: The hotel seemed to be under some sort of construction. There wasn't any noise related to it other than the random cat calls from the constructions workers aimed at the ladies in bikinis at the pool. At the time, they were painting the outside of the hotel from a light brown to white.

The lobby interior was nice but the elevator and upstairs floors were pretty worn down. The carpet throughout the upstairs was atrocious. It looked like a dark brown muddy liquid had been spilled everywhere... and remained there for years, all throughout the hallways. The rooms were so-so. The amount you pay is not really worth what you get. The rooms had a nice tile floor. The beds were somewhat hard and springy but I didn't mind too much as I was exhausted from each day. The bathrooms looked nice until you got up close and could see the poor craftsmanship. The tub in our room had a huge hole in it at one time and they repaired it with some fiberglass puddy which didn't match the original color of the tub. It still had a pretty big hole. The tub was also pretty dirty too. Needless to say, we did not use it. The aesthetics of the room are very outdated and do not flow at all. Tiny, tiny TV with poor reception and a huge TV stand while the adjoining room had a nice flat screen tv. The view was wonderful, however the glass hadn't been cleaned in ages. There was a dirty, nasty film( a mix of years of dirt and humidity ) on it that seemed to be around the ends of the window.

We had to ask for extra towels and called to housekeeping and they said it would be there right away. It never showed.

You also have to pay for your internet. If you have multiple devices, you have to pay for each which is ridiculous because the 3 in my party all stayed in the same room.

I would skip it unless the price is drastically lowered or it is dramatically updated.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jazmarg

Travelers are raving about these Langkawi hotels

Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Nobody greet us when we arrived. Check in was very slow, they got us the wrong room, we booked for double queen bed, they gave me one king bed, I had them changed.

I asked for baby cot, all not available, so I had to ask for extra bed, which cost me extra money -_-
The room is huge, tile floor, small tv with very little channels. Breakfast is so-so, not much variety, the same everyday. Strong wet paint smell when inside the elevator.

Location is somewhat in the middle, 15mins to Cenang beach, 20mins to Kuah town, 15mins to Oriental village. There is no food around the hotel, except the restaurant, we had to go all the way to Cenang beach for dinner.

Check out is very slow. Don't think that you stay 2 mins away from airport can always guarantee you not being late for your flight. Our flight is at 11.25am, I called to get my luggage down at 10 am and waited for 20mins nobody came, I went to the lobby to take care of my bills and told the receiptionist nobody come for my luggage, She called one the bellboy, she had to call him twice, he walked hesitantly and slowly with his luggage cart, after I pay the bills I waited for another 15 mins for him with our luggage. So it was almost 11 when we arrived at the airport, and it was 11 after we returned our car. The guy at the airlines told me "Next time come earlier, your gate closed in 45mins not 25". Not a word came out of my mouth. Just feel like a total idiot it took us one hour to get out of that hotel.

Next time maybe I will come back if all of the other choices are not available. But it will be my last choice.

The only thing great about it is that the place is so quite. You cannot hear a thing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The hotel is directly next to the airport and you can walk there very easily. Despite being next to the airport I never once heard planes landing while inside the hotel, only when laying by the pool, which was never loud enough to disturb me. The hotel itself is giant, so each room is also giant! I have been traveling Asia for years now and it is the largest room I have ever had, no matter what price! Breakfast was free, and while I thought there were a few too many noodle dishes for my taste, they made up for it with waffle bars and an omelet bar where they make them to order. There was also cereal, breads, hard boiled eggs, sausages and potato wedges. It was clean and the staff was very nice. Room service prices were the same as dinner hall dining so you won't feel bad ordering in and eating in your undies after a long day! We rented a scooter through the hotel. They are usually 50RM anywhere else but they gave it to us for 35RM! Traveling the island on a bike was safe and extremely convenient! The hotel also has a private beach they shuttle you to, but you can also walk/drive down the street to the Four Seasons and sit on the beach there. We ate dinner in the large dining hall and I found the food to be average to slightly above average depending on what you ordered. I would definitely recommend it to friends and stay there again myself in the future.

• Stayed December 2011