“Hated the Aseania”

Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Iluka
“Hated the Aseania”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Arrived at the Aseania, hotel looked OK from the outside. Foyer ceiling was mouldy with peeling paint. I thought how easily fixed this would be and how it detracted from this areas appeal. As aware from other reviews there are no lifts. We were placed in a block way back in the hotel down many corridors and had to help bellcaptain carry 4 heavy suitcases up two flights of narrow stairs. We had book two deluxe rooms and paid more for this. The first thing we noticed is the door which was painted brown had a lot of its paint chipping/flaking off not very attractive and again could be easily remedied. Most of the doors were like this. We entered the rooms only to be shocked how plain and basic and dilapidated the rooms were. Two large beds in each room, no beadspread just and ugly very thin blankets covered them. It looked rather like a very old run down hospital ward in a 3rd world country. There was a small TV (only 3 channels, 2 in Malaysian) on a small boxy cabinet and the beds were very old. What bothered me was you could see the mattress through the very thin sheet as it had no mattress protector. One of my daughters bed only had half a sheet exposing the bottom end of the mattress (not very hygienic) and quite disgracful. This hotel was rated at 3 star I would give it only half a star. Considering this was deluxe! What had I paid for. The walls were dirty and plain, not a picture on the wall. The electrical wiring looked dangerous and was exposed. One of our beds had swarms of ants (not a few) running over the pillow. We didn't sleep in this bed. The bathroom - the toilet had a black ring and hairs in the bowl. (I thought maybe from other reviews it was water staining). The sink appears like some ones photos on this site. Thick silicone and black mould, shower had mould in the tiles. There was hot water though when we ventured to have a shower. The windows in the shower had no flyscreens and were unable to be fully closed allowing mosquitos in. (we bought flyspray to remedy this). The view from our balcony was a small road not a pool view or tropical garden. The breakfast as previously stated is basic and you sometimes have to set your own table up with cuttlery and clear other peoples plates away as your seating yourself. Coffee was undrinkable. One type of fruit, some cereal, toast, odd tasting beans, can get eggs but a long wait, some odd dishes which didn't look very appealing. The pool which is the main feature - the lazy river and wave pool were out of bounds to my teenage daughters because the water was green and the sides of the pool were black. It was a lot cleaner in the main pool but if you climb up to the slides there is a lot of algae which does wash into the main pool. Not many sunbeds and they are quite spread out.
The fortunate thing was after reading tripadvisor's recent reviews of the Aseania I cancelled 4 of the 6 nights booked. I had 4 glorious nights at the Holiday Villa slightly more but worth it, Holiday Villa is also 3 star but it is so much better than the Aseania and also well located. The web pictures of the rooms at the Aseania and not what you get when you book in. Only stay there if you don't mind roughing it and hygiene isn't your priority. May I also say the housekeeping was really bad they didn't change our two thin towels which were dirty from the floor of the bathroom but threw them over the shower rail. Now I know what the other travellers who stayed there mean. Take our word for it, it is the worst hotel. The first night was our 20th Wedding Anniversary, we stayed out of the hotel as much as possible.

• Liked — Main pool
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank andy1doug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We are here now, as we speak at the Aseania. Pretty much everything they reviews say is true. We ended up here because we are on a one year world tour, arrived in Langkawi Malaysia, and the place we first stayed at (beautiful Sunset Beach Resort) was too full to extend our stay, and otherwise wouldn't have considered moving to this place.

Once here, my kids liked having a pool (which does seem pretty decently maintained unlike anything else). We are, as mentioned on a 12 month tour, so costs kept us here. It is cheap.
Bought bug killer and haven't seen any bugs, outside of many ants in my bathroom. In fact our room isn't too too bad, we looked at 4 rooms before picking the best of the worst,
but as soon as we step out of the door ....YUK!. the halls are disgusting.

You could be fooled when you arrive (IF you dare) and see the pool and lobby and think..."Hmmmm, not bad", but just wait and see your room. Do not under any circumstances take a ground floor room. They are dingey and dark . We thought they were taking us to a morgue (speaking of the first rooms we saw).

Heard of burglary as a problem too, but hasn't been an issue for us yet.

Despite Lonely Planet saying "good restaurant", it is awful as well. My kids were served a couple rancid hamburgers,... not only were they not cooked, the meat was definitely bad. Breakfast is "free" and I still won't eat anything outside toast here. How you can screw up scrambled eggs is beyond me. (And I am not picky, and have stayed in many 2** hotels and hostels on our journey, without complaint.)

If you LITERALLY just want to lay by a pool with no frills (ie. maybe a lounger, if one is available, and dirty towels for hire,) then this could be your place.

• Liked — pool only, walk to the beach, restaurants close by
  • Disliked — Most everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Teamspiers
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Great view from outside. First empression of hotel from the hotel board, exterior, lobby & front desk made a very good impression about the hotel. After we checked in, we were given room on 3 rd floor. Bell boy carried our luggage till staircases. We were shocked to know that hotel had no lift & bell boy asked us to carry luggage all the way up there. When we forced him to carry it up, he managed to hold one more bell boy & brought the luggage.

The room (double delux) was nicely painted. A/C was working properly. Room had a small terrace with nice hotel view with swimming pool. It has a biggest swimming pool in entire malaysia. It has a wave pool also. Water slides at pool are a nice. The hotel is very near to beach, but far away from city & airport. Nice to see new & clean bedsheets, pillow covers & blankets. Lobby is very decorative & makes good impression about hotel.

What I don't like about hotel is no pressure in taps. Warm water (not hot) was available to bath. The TV is room is very small, with bad signal & very less english channels. Many malai channels were shown. Worst part is TV had no remote. Breakfast is also average.

Overall, I do suggest this hotel to my friends.

• Liked — Cleanliness in room, Swimming pool, nice lobby.
  • Disliked — No lifts, Lazy bell boys, Far away from downtown.
London
Reviewed November 22, 2008

This hotel is APPALLING. It is dirty, old and nothing like their website. We checked in and had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. There are no lifts. The corridors are like 1960s student halls, They are filthy with dead cockroaches on the floor and echo really badly as the staff shout at each other. Then we got to the room. The door had a couple of holes in it filled with tissue paper and the paint was all scraped off the door.It also had a big dirty handprint on it. That was even before we got to the room. The toilet was full of brown stains and scale. Thats becasue it doesn't work - there is virtually no cold water as there is no pressure. The beds had very old browning sheets with a bobbly orange blanket but no cover, more cockroaches, poor a/c, no plug in the sink, no pictures on the wall, four more holes in the ceiling filled with tissue paper and a view over the rubbish in the car park. This was a Deluxe rooms so what were the cheaper rooms like?? Didn't use the pool, it didn't look clean and lots of broken tiles around the edge. The gym was like the photo someone elsehad attached. DO NOT STAY HERE unless you think this is worth 200 ringgit. We definitely did not think it was worth even 50 ringgit and checked out immediately after 1 night of a 4 night booking.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
5 Thank JHGW
gold coast
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Hotel: ok to be honest... walked in to ascenia looked nice, reception was great they were as helpful as they could be. Although we found that when i (19 y/o female) asked for something they were a lot quicker in helping me rather than my partner. Went up to the room walked in and almost threw up it was disgusting, the smell i mean, we inspected the linen before going to bed after reading reviews on it previously we were satisfied with cleanliness. We stayed here 4 nights and overcame the disgusting smell with an air neutralizer we had carefully packed on the way over. GYM: in the 4 days we were there i did not see one person in the gym, walked in understood why very run down machines were old and starting to rust POOL: this is what you pay for! it was magnificent waterfalls, slides, extremely large! Happy hour in the pool 5 - 7pm got to know the staff, found out many interesting things from here

Location: unreal! close to watersports (jet skis, parasailing etc.) a few bars where we met many westerners called Sunba and Reggae bar

All in all i would recommend this to friends, being young and loving the nightlife it was perfect! and yes i would stay again! as long as i have the air neutralizer!

You get what you pay for!

• Liked — pool, location, helpful staff
  • Disliked — the room itself
1 Thank gctraveller89
London
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The front of the hotel seemed quite nice - not at all broken down. The staff greeted us and as they loaded the suitcases I was beginning to like the look of the hotel, until I saw what the rooms looked like...
I was shocked to find that there wasn't even a lift! We got the room downstairs (basement) and the corridors looked worn down and dirty. But what was most shocking was the state of the rooms. Dirty, grimy orange walls, lights that were lopsided and had big cracks that had come off it and a small shabby air-cond on the wall. The smell of the room made me sick - it really smelt like a basement. The TV was small and it didn't have a remote, plus the signal wasn't great either. The beds were disgusting - there was an old orange duvet that looked like it hadn't been washed for weeks (maybe it hasn't!) and thin, dirty white bedsheets. On one pillowcase there was a black stain on it! I also saw a small piece of what looked like dried up snot on the bedsheets!! DISGUSTING. When I opened the curatins all I saw outside were some cars - the view outside my room was a car park!
We had the connecting rooms, yes, but one was half the size of the other!! The bathroom was disgustingly dirty and horrifying to look at - rotted doors frames, black mirrors and ants were crawling everywhere. The shower curtain and the insides of the cubicle looked so grimy I thought I felt cleaner if I was not showering!! The water did not come out properly from the taps and I thought to myself - THE WORST HOTEL EVER.
The next morning I went to have the breakfast, not surprisingly, it was poor. All I could see was some porridge, cereal, eggs and noodles. That's not a buffet! There was no fresh juice and no knives! We were moved to the other eating room where it was hot and stuffy and not a nice place to have breakfast!

A few hours later my room was cleaned, only to discover that they did not change my pillowcases - i knew this because the black stain was still on one of the pillowcases, meaning that they never changed it!
Overall, this really is THE WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER BEEN TO. Dirty, grimy, disgusting rooms and horrible food. But, the staff were generally nice and the swimming pool looked attractive, but I never swam in it!
The slogan for the hotel is 'Your Paradise On Earth'....Well to me it was my Hell On Earth!

Stayed August 2008
5 Thank tropicalx3
Durham
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Arrived at this hotel and thought it was ok from outside. It was pink but ok. We had booked the deluxe bedrooms and were waiting in hopeful anticipation that the rooms would be nice, but god oh how disappointed we were. The bedrooms were horrific and disgustingly dirty, it was like walking into a seedy motel room, dirty orange worn out old blankets on the beds. There were dead cockroches on the floor, in the rooms on the floor or under the bed, in the wardrobe and outside on the balconies. We also had a couple of living ones too. The wardrobe door fell off in our room and my husband had to re-hang it back onto its hinges. The Bathroom was so disgusting we couldnt even wash in there, marks on the mirrors from splashes of "god knows what" from however long a period before (that I wouldnt like to guess on) that had turned brown, there was black mould everywhere in the shower. I cried my eyes out, I was tired and was so disappointed, expecially since I had booked the whole holiday for 6 people and they were just as shocked. I was inconsolable. My dream vacation was turning into a nightmare. We were hungry and decided to have something to eat whilst we decided what to do. The pool area was relatively nice, although there was scaffolding work and men were painting the outside of the hotel. The food around the pool was ok. I had to leave our family around the pool, whilst we went out looking for a decent hotel to move into. Unfortunately had to stay 1 night, with lights on to try an keep cockroaches at bay. We all couldnt wait to check out.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family