“APPALLING”

Aseania Resort & Spa Langkawi Island
Ranked #47 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed November 22, 2008

This hotel is APPALLING. It is dirty, old and nothing like their website. We checked in and had to carry our bags up three flights of stairs. There are no lifts. The corridors are like 1960s student halls, They are filthy with dead cockroaches on the floor and echo really badly as the staff shout at each other. Then we got to the room. The door had a couple of holes in it filled with tissue paper and the paint was all scraped off the door.It also had a big dirty handprint on it. That was even before we got to the room. The toilet was full of brown stains and scale. Thats becasue it doesn't work - there is virtually no cold water as there is no pressure. The beds had very old browning sheets with a bobbly orange blanket but no cover, more cockroaches, poor a/c, no plug in the sink, no pictures on the wall, four more holes in the ceiling filled with tissue paper and a view over the rubbish in the car park. This was a Deluxe rooms so what were the cheaper rooms like?? Didn't use the pool, it didn't look clean and lots of broken tiles around the edge. The gym was like the photo someone elsehad attached. DO NOT STAY HERE unless you think this is worth 200 ringgit. We definitely did not think it was worth even 50 ringgit and checked out immediately after 1 night of a 4 night booking.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JHGW
There are newer reviews for Aseania Resort & Spa Langkawi Island

Reviewed October 12, 2008

Hotel: ok to be honest... walked in to ascenia looked nice, reception was great they were as helpful as they could be. Although we found that when i (19 y/o female) asked for something they were a lot quicker in helping me rather than my partner. Went up to the room walked in and almost threw up it was disgusting, the smell i mean, we inspected the linen before going to bed after reading reviews on it previously we were satisfied with cleanliness. We stayed here 4 nights and overcame the disgusting smell with an air neutralizer we had carefully packed on the way over. GYM: in the 4 days we were there i did not see one person in the gym, walked in understood why very run down machines were old and starting to rust POOL: this is what you pay for! it was magnificent waterfalls, slides, extremely large! Happy hour in the pool 5 - 7pm got to know the staff, found out many interesting things from here

Location: unreal! close to watersports (jet skis, parasailing etc.) a few bars where we met many westerners called Sunba and Reggae bar

All in all i would recommend this to friends, being young and loving the nightlife it was perfect! and yes i would stay again! as long as i have the air neutralizer!

You get what you pay for!

1  Thank gctraveller89
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The front of the hotel seemed quite nice - not at all broken down. The staff greeted us and as they loaded the suitcases I was beginning to like the look of the hotel, until I saw what the rooms looked like...
I was shocked to find that there wasn't even a lift! We got the room downstairs (basement) and the corridors looked worn down and dirty. But what was most shocking was the state of the rooms. Dirty, grimy orange walls, lights that were lopsided and had big cracks that had come off it and a small shabby air-cond on the wall. The smell of the room made me sick - it really smelt like a basement. The TV was small and it didn't have a remote, plus the signal wasn't great either. The beds were disgusting - there was an old orange duvet that looked like it hadn't been washed for weeks (maybe it hasn't!) and thin, dirty white bedsheets. On one pillowcase there was a black stain on it! I also saw a small piece of what looked like dried up snot on the bedsheets!! DISGUSTING. When I opened the curatins all I saw outside were some cars - the view outside my room was a car park!
We had the connecting rooms, yes, but one was half the size of the other!! The bathroom was disgustingly dirty and horrifying to look at - rotted doors frames, black mirrors and ants were crawling everywhere. The shower curtain and the insides of the cubicle looked so grimy I thought I felt cleaner if I was not showering!! The water did not come out properly from the taps and I thought to myself - THE WORST HOTEL EVER.
The next morning I went to have the breakfast, not surprisingly, it was poor. All I could see was some porridge, cereal, eggs and noodles. That's not a buffet! There was no fresh juice and no knives! We were moved to the other eating room where it was hot and stuffy and not a nice place to have breakfast!

A few hours later my room was cleaned, only to discover that they did not change my pillowcases - i knew this because the black stain was still on one of the pillowcases, meaning that they never changed it!
Overall, this really is THE WORST HOTEL I'VE EVER BEEN TO. Dirty, grimy, disgusting rooms and horrible food. But, the staff were generally nice and the swimming pool looked attractive, but I never swam in it!
The slogan for the hotel is 'Your Paradise On Earth'....Well to me it was my Hell On Earth!

Stayed: August 2008
5  Thank tropicalx3
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Arrived at this hotel and thought it was ok from outside. It was pink but ok. We had booked the deluxe bedrooms and were waiting in hopeful anticipation that the rooms would be nice, but god oh how disappointed we were. The bedrooms were horrific and disgustingly dirty, it was like walking into a seedy motel room, dirty orange worn out old blankets on the beds. There were dead cockroches on the floor, in the rooms on the floor or under the bed, in the wardrobe and outside on the balconies. We also had a couple of living ones too. The wardrobe door fell off in our room and my husband had to re-hang it back onto its hinges. The Bathroom was so disgusting we couldnt even wash in there, marks on the mirrors from splashes of "god knows what" from however long a period before (that I wouldnt like to guess on) that had turned brown, there was black mould everywhere in the shower. I cried my eyes out, I was tired and was so disappointed, expecially since I had booked the whole holiday for 6 people and they were just as shocked. I was inconsolable. My dream vacation was turning into a nightmare. We were hungry and decided to have something to eat whilst we decided what to do. The pool area was relatively nice, although there was scaffolding work and men were painting the outside of the hotel. The food around the pool was ok. I had to leave our family around the pool, whilst we went out looking for a decent hotel to move into. Unfortunately had to stay 1 night, with lights on to try an keep cockroaches at bay. We all couldnt wait to check out.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank daryad1718
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I read all the reviews about this hotel before I booked thinking it couldn't be that bad. But it was.

This hotel looks like the last time the rooms were renovated was 1971. Seriously. The rooms look nothing like the hotels web site pictures.

We booked a room with 2 queen sized beds. The blankets on these beds were just awful. If I were to take them to a charity shop in Australia, they would be refused. Threadbare with stains and holes. The sheets were grey and awfully thin. Towels haven't been replaced in ages.

Housekeeping isn't great. We lifted a mattress to find bits of dired up rice underneath. My husband spotted bedbugs.

Its a real shame, because a coat of paint and a trip to Ikea would go a long way to improving this hotel.

Staff did the best they could. But you could tell that they were well aware of the state the property is in. The hotels owners should note that the staff are the only good thing about this hotel.

The outdoor and pool areas look very impressive! But the safety factor is zero! Trying to negotiate slippery rocks to get to the top of the slides isn't easy. It's an accident wating to happen! Scary looking black aglae in the wave pool!

We were booked to stay 5 nights. We left after 3. The only reason we didn't leave earlier was because everything else was booked out for the Malaysian school holidays.

Truly, give it a miss! There are loads of other hotels along this strip in better condition for around the same price!

While we were there they had just started painting the outside of the bulding. Honestly, this is the LAST thing they should be doing!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank snootybean
Reviewed July 21, 2008

RECEPTION:
After we check in, the receptionist simply told us that our room was at the right corridor! We had to bring our own luggage to the room – NO CONCIERGE! – was a little messy considering that we had to explore the corridors bringing our luggage, also we were pretty tired after the flight and taxi and still there were NO ROOM NUMBER INDICATIONS at the corridors!

ROOMS: We booked 2 deluxe rooms, asked for connecting rooms, if possible. Yes, they gave us connecting rooms but one was HALF THE SIZE of the other one, but both were the same price!!! Plus, the small room was dark and creepy, and we saw a snake at the balcony! Wow, you can imagine how nice and profound sleep we had…!
Also, there is NO SAFETY BOX in the room, which is quite inconvenient!

TV: There is no TV CONTROL and I only found ONE english channel?! I thought the hotel had cable.... probably my bad! : O

TOILET: Disgusting! The drain for shower was clogged everyday, so it made me feel like my feet were still dirty even after the shower + we had to put the shampoo, soap, etc… everything at the floor, as there was no place else to put!
The sink and the rest… well … NO WORDS! See it for yourself at the picture!

BREAKFAST: Simply POOR! I’m used to noodles too… but definitely not that taste! Arghhh! The breakfast the hotel provided was probably good enough for Malaysian people… I guess! Everyday I had toast with butter, as I didn’t like the looks of the jam; had omelette with onion and mushroom (no other choices). I couldn’t have the cereals because the milk was not hot neither cold… well, maybe that’s my problem! The coffee was not drinkable! And the worst was, the last day we stayed there, the hotel was holding a malaysian event and a lot of people checked in, so they cancelled the omelette on that day! Guess that was the policy to save eggs whenever there are a lot of people…

Oh… I almost forgot… no knives at breakfast! Maybe they expect people to cut the beef slices with spoon and fork or probably just rip it with hands? : O

Luckily for us, I read the trip advisor, and learned about a place called “CACTUS”, situated right in front of Holiday Villa Hotel; Cactus was our saviour! We had breakfast there everyday (good food and price, kindly staff, nice music, etc…)

HOUSE KEEPING: According to the information from the website, rooms should have HAIR DRYER. Well, I couldn’t find it in the room! Naturally, I called the house keeping and ask for it. However, it took them an hour or more to bring it after I called 3 TIMES! Perhaps, they were so thoughtful that sent someone out to buy us a new one! ; p

After checked the menu, we were not very interested in ordering room service, so the kids wanted to have some cup noodles, which we bought at a mini market near by. We didn’t bring spoons or forks, so we called the housekeeping for forks… the answer was: “You must go to the restaurant to get it, we don’t bring it to you”! What kind of service is that?! I guess we’re still lucky that we could borrowed…

POOL: Supposed to be nice! Unfortunately, still we had some bad memories too…
Large pool? Yes! Clean? You tell me...! Insects in pool? Yes! Safe pool? No!
1. The WATER was not very dirty, what gave a dirty feeling were the SLIDES and the insects in the water! The way you must pass before you reach the slides were covered by leaves and insects and the slides didnt seem clean...
2. Malaysia sun is too strong to ignore! No umbrellas at all! Either chooses a chair under the trees/pool bar and stay under the shades all the time or stay under the sun and be roasted!
3. My friend’s toe was CUT within one hour since we went to the pool on our first day! Not inside the pool but outside! Something sharp was on the floor when she got out of the pool, and it couldn’t be visible, as the floor was covered by small stones! She bled a lot and spoiled our plans for the next few days because she was pretty hurt and even with a band-aid, it would hurt when she wet her toe!
Regarding the accident, we walked to the reception to ask for help; when they saw the BLOOD ALL OVER her foot, they gave us an antiseptic and band aid and told us where was the nearest toilet! We had to take care of it by ourselves! What about some people who panic when they see blood???
Still, about the pool, I had to say that at least the food and drinks from the pool bar was ok and the bar man was friendly! The music and atmosphere were comfortable too! At least something positive! ; )

LANGUAGE: The hotel held a party but the flyer was written only in malaysian! Wouldnt be important to write in english... at least?

GYM: old equipment, rust, not useful and the worst is "It stinks"! Exercise there?! What a joke!

The hotel has a nice design, maybe was good when new but needs maintenance and a lot of improvement in all areas.

• Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank Mariaonline
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Went there for a uni trip with 20 other people and our check-in was handled smoothly. Despite other bad reviews on the hotel, I honestly have to say that you get what you paid for and nothing more.

Rooms are basic - queen beds, working showers, tv, clean to the naked-eye. Loved the swimming pool there as there are 3 big ones with adult slides. Beach is about 5 mins walk while breakfast is a basic spread of omelette, cereal, sliced bread and local delicacies. I highly reccomend going for the eateries next to the hotel. Prices are cheap and the food are AMAZING.

In a nutshell, if you are on a budget ,dont mind the basic amenities and don't plan to only lounge at the hotel for most of your holidays, do choose Aseania.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends