“Worth a stay if only for the pools and location”

Aseania Resort & Spa Langkawi Island
Ranked #45 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

We were there for almost a week, and in short, loved, loved, loved the pools but compromised in some other areas.
The plus points: of course location matters, and aseania won't disappoint in that regard. It's a five minute walk to chenang beach and the myriad restaurants and bars along the road. Breakfast buffet is superb with plenty of options. We loved the paratha/roti made on Sundays and pancakes rest of the week. Their restaurant is pricey otherwise, just walk to the restaurants or cafés and there's plenty of choice. They hold a buffet dinner most nights by the pools with song and cultural dance performances, though.
Aah, the pools!!! Kids as well as adults are going to love spending time at the man-made waterfall, wave pool, lazy river and more at aseania. It's clean, and they readily give fresh towels when you're done. Funnnn!
Minus points: It's expensive! Sometimes there are insects and geckos indoors, including the rooms! Yikes! Just have repellents ready, just in case, and try to keep the balcony door shut as much as possible, that's where the mosquitos usually wait.

That's all, it's overall worth it when you consider the location.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Shehla A
There are newer reviews for Aseania Resort & Spa Langkawi Island

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

This was the second times my family and I stayed at aseania resort. The breakfast is wonderful, with variety of choice. The pool is clean and my children enjoyed their vacation do much. The location near to seafood restaurant easier to go

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Aseania in total for a week, due to circumstances as there were no other hotels/resorts available in the same price range on Cenang during our stay in Langkawi. We stayed in deluxe twin for 4 days and upgraded to super deluxe twin for the last 3 days as Agoda.com offered it for the same price. Upgrade had to be done through Agoda, as reception did not want to offer us the same price as Agoda, so we checked out of the first room and checked right in same day to the new one. Room Auxerre and beds are the same, balcony faceing the pool area in super deluxe. Housekeeping personnel should really be sent to cleaning courses and management should really take this investment. Bathrooms are worn out - but usable, at least in the two rooms we stayed. Breakfast is horrible - a lot of different selections, though mainly targeted to locals and Asians in their food. Omelette and toasts + fresh fruits are pretty much the only European food you could find. Oh and pancakes if you're lucky. In general, ok hotel, considering the price and location. And if they wouldn't have the large pool, they most probably won't have any guests. Pool is great, despite the fact that there are often small leaves in the water. You can't avoid that when pool is located close to so many trees.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ViktoriaK82
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The hotel is quite lovely and grand in many ways but as with all such hotels it doesn't live up to its star-rating.
It is run down in several respects, especially the bathrooms which are suffering and the rooms are just worn in many areas and would definitely benefit from a good lick of white paint.
However, since you're unlikely to spend your holiday in the bathroom, there are many positives.
*Pool is fabulous, nestled in tropical scenery and man-made waterfalls. The pool area covers a lot of ground so it's pretty peaceful - no fighting for deckchairs etc.
*There is a separate children's pool with slides. We saw two children entertain themselves for two hours here. So great for kids.
*It's five minutes to a relatively quiet beach (with a lovely beachbar for watching the sunset). And it's perfectly located off the main Cenang Beach strip, where there are lots of shops, bars and restaurants.
*It's a 12 minute drive from the airport
*It's a 25 minute drive from the ferry terminal
*Good breakfast, although go early or late as it does get quite crowded.
*Tip, don't bother with the hotel restaurant for lunch or dinner. Get out onto the main road and go to one of the super cheap local places - better service, better food, cheaper.

I did quite a bit of research for hotels in Langkawi - which is much more expensive than Penang, for example - and I think overall this was pretty good value for money. I found it hard to identify many mid-range hotels which I felt were reasonably priced, and I think the location of this hotel more than makes up for any shortcomings regarding the furnishings.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank michanddyl
Reviewed December 28, 2013

First, the positives- The lobby, grounds and pool are great. The location at the end of the Main Street is great for going out to restaurants and shopping. The hotel is not beachfront, but it is a short walk away- maybe 5-10 minutes. We walked with our children and did water sports from the beach without any problems. The buffet breakfast is varied with food to cater to an international clientele. Staff did a nice job with entertainment during Christmas holiday time.
Negatives- the rooms, particularly the bathrooms, need some heavy maintenance. Lysol with bleach would help with some of the black grout or regrouting the tile might be in order. Or maybe just retile altogether?! The sinks could use some caulking. Looks like the caulk was removed, but not replaced. The faucet was wiggly and needed to be tightened. The towels need to be upgraded as well.

I think the bed, linens and TV, maybe even the paint in the room was all new. So Aseania needs to continue with the simple maintenance and pay attention to the details, because customers like me will be watching. Also, I think a housekeeping manager needs to make sure all the rooms are being cleaned with the highest standards. Including the outside- for those with ground floor rooms.

With that, I can say that the pools were great for kids, along with 3 water slides and little fountains around that lit up different colors at night, made it a nice place to stay with kids. Staff was responsive and provided me with whatever I asked for promptly, including a transformer to charge my phone. Beds were comfortable and new.

Room Tip: Ground floor room near the pool for easy access to pool. Makes life easier if you have children want...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I don't know why this hotel has negative reviews, okay maybe it wasn't anything spectacular but I travelled with my family - a total of 11 persons , and we enjoyed every moment spent here. All us cousins would go splashing in the pool infact I spent more time there than at the actual beach! No silly pool dress codes restrictions etc and everything is within walking distance of the resort. Highly recommend it for families esp large groups of people.
The staff is helpful also one of the locks on the room doors wasn't working and they sent someone to fix it. The breakfast was average , finishes early. All in all, good value for the money , and the pool of course !!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hotel is affiliated to Legend Worldwide Holiday. We were nervous to read negative reviews but we decided to proceed just to try out luck. We spent 4 days 3 nights, and booked 2 superior connecting rooms. The rooms were good and to our relief, the negative reviews are not true. Yes there were broken tiles and hopefully the hotel management can spend for maintenance. The swimming pool is marvelous and our kids love them. The lifeguards were doing their job well and keeping their eyes on the kids who tried to reach out for the adult swimming area nearby. The breakfast was good and reasonable. Housekeeping was excellent. The hotel is very near to Pantai Cenang shopping bazaars. The hotel has no beach but it is located at walking distance (but quite far for young kids to walk)

The only thing that I wish the hotel could improve is the communication at the reception counter. I found that the trainees were very incompetent (but they were not rude). My request for upgrading the room were not attended. I was given wrong information about breakfast entitlement. I could see that a few officers in charged have to do rescue job whenever complaints were made or wrong information have been communicated to the clients. My sincere advice to the hotel is that they improve on the counter service. By the way, I wish to extend my gratitude to Miss/Mdm Rin/Ria for attending to my request though it was done at the very last minute. Earlier, my reservation was made at ease by Miss/Mdm Ain even though I was given wrong information about the rate in my earlier phone-conversation with another officer.

All in all, I and my family have had a great time in Aseania.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family