“Too many people, crumbling jetty,rubbish, obscenely dirty toilet”

Pulau Payar Marine Park
Pulau Payar Marine Park Snorkeling Tour from Penang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Too many people, crumbling jetty,rubbish, obscenely dirty toilet”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Estimated about 1000 people when we went and the Chinese guide boasted there were 4000 during CNY and how fortunate we were, no wonder the coral are dead.That is not something to boast about

The jetty is crumbling and decaying and dangerous, isnt the government doing anything? Will the board walks and jetty be repaired when someone dies?

Regarding the coral, its decaying and dying with many silly tourists stepping on them. The only solitude is the abundance of fish and I doubt this will last.

Lastly the toilet is gross and dirty with some of the squat bowls overflowing with brown sewage...it was a total spoiler as I intended to change clothes inside...it disgusted me.

Im not recommending Payar to anyone just to make less people visit that poor over utilized island. Plus its expensive and the greedy operators give disgusting lunch like dried up fried rice that gets stuck in the throat and the containers ended up as rubbish on the beach.

Visited February 2014

52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I went on the platform two dive trip. It was very disorganized before boarding for the boat ride, as well as preparing for the dives. The dives were great. After the first dive, we returned to the platform for the lunch buffet and my fellow divers and I were amazed at the complete lack of manners of many of the other passengers.

Visited February 2014
Pristina, Kosovo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great place, wonderful staff, too many people”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was sceptical when we arrived and I saw the area roped off for snorkelling but then I got in the water...
I have snorkelled and dived all around the world but I have never seen such a concentration of fish and different species. Swimming with nonchalant reef sharks was great but I also saw the biggest grouper I have ever seen in the water, happily going about his business, a rather less insouciant "true" sea snake, who skidaddled as soon as he became aware of me, not giving me a chance to photograph him and just so many more - angel fish, clown fish, parrot fish, etc. The staff are truly wonderful, dedicated to their jobs. I got talking to Goh, who was trained in UK as electrical engineer and speaks perfect English but threw up a lucrative career because of his love of the sea and sea-life. Others showed the same enthusiasm.
Yes, too many people and too many of them fundamentally uneducated in both the natural world and the need to respect it. But I put that down to the fact that it was the Chinese New Year holiday and the company was mainly made up of mainland (PRC) Chinese visitors ...

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Patrick B
Basel, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beyond criminal what is being done here...”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I'm all for access to tourism, but a trip here for snorkeling costs less than 15 minutes on a jetski at one of the beach resorts on langkawi. You go in a huge, excessively air conditioned boat, stuffed to the rafters with tourists.
This beautiful island is then being destroyed by up to 2000 visitors a day. There is neither education, warning, or penalty for littering, which seems a common past-time, as does baiting the beautiful reef sharks that are here. A truely beautiful island that should for the sake of posterity limit visitor numbers to a couple of hundred a day.

That said, beautiful island. I hope it finds a way to stay that way.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Chris P
Hong Kong, China
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Trip.Worth it!”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Bit far away ....But worth doing it.Clear water.Lots of fish and baby Shark!Don't miss it.It was the highlight of our trip.

Visited January 2014