“Where are the fishes?”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Where are the fishes?”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My friend and I didn't really see many fishes while snorkelling. Probably also due to the overcrowding visitors. At one go, there are more than a hundred people, seats alongside the area are almost full. Not a very big area to snorkel around the park. But for first timer snorkeler, this might be a not bad experience to try snorkeling!

Visited September 2012

• Korean first
Petaling Jaya
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A trip full of regrets”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

As a first-timer at snorkeling, I was really excited. I was the only one out of my four sisters to have never experienced the waters. And even as a newbie I knew that the trip to Pulau Payar was atrocious. Terrible planning. How could they call this an eco trip when they hoard so many, TOO many people to the island, destroying the place? There was so many people that it got out of control. The itinerary provided on their site (Coral Island) hasn't been updated for some time and I was deceived. They no longer have shark feeding sessions and the staff could have been more friendly about it when we inquired about it. The waters were murky and we were put off by hundreds upon thousands of these transparent strips of dots (eggs maybe?) in the water. We were frequently stung by something (maybe jelly fish?) and came out of the water itching everywhere. It didn't help that the toilets/showers were filthy and there was no fresh water to rinse our bodies with, only salt water. Corals are plain brown and yellow and most have been terribly smashed in. Only highlights were the rainbow fish, a few baby sharks and clown fish and that's it. Packed food provided was a total let down. They call it "fried rice", I'd say it was just plain rice mixed with bland eggs, fried sausages and bad crisps. At the price they charge (RM120 a day), it was a complete rip off and a waste of an entire day during our trip. The one hour bus ride to the jetty and one hour ferry ride to the islands, resulting in a four hour journey for the whole day back and forth, was really just a waste of time. You're better of doing other things in Langkawi, trust me.

2 Thank eeleeyah
Shenzhen, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“enjoy diving”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went dinving for 1 day, there are a couple of diving shop in Kuah, we chose East Marine, got 2 dives and a 1-hour lunch time on the beach. There were 13 dive sites. We saw a lot of fish but visibility was not so good that day.

Portland, Oregon
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The snorkeling conditions saved this trip!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked with Langkawi Coral for 100 each, cheaper than the rate quoted at our hotel (140). They told us to be ready at 8:00am but at midnight we got a call from the front desk of our hotel telling us to be ready at 7:55am...next day the driver was late and it was after 8 by the time he got everyone on the bus. Bad start.

We got to the Kuah Jetty at 9:30, then stood and waited for another 15 minutes. We got onto the catamaran for a 90 minute ride. At 11:30am we still hadn't been snorkeling but could see a ton of tourists getting into the water. Frustrating.

After paying a few RM to "lock" up our belongings in a cooler we got our gear and went out but there were SO many people it was almost impossible to get enough space to swim. Because the tide was low people were struggling with snorkeling (even with lifejackets) over the coral and despite multiple warnings/signs there were tons of people standing on the coral. Some people were afraid of the baby sharks and fish swimming around and were screaming and thrashing around; it kind of ruined our first bit of snorkeling.

We swam out to the edge of the snorkel area and saw more fish there, and more under the floating dock/area. We came back in and had lunch, served in a plastic container - a piece of soggy fried chicken, a lump of dry fried rice (with soggy peas/carrots) and some salad. The can of iced tea was the highlight of the lunch.

After lunch we walked over to the left side of the beach and there was no one there! We had it to ourselves for awhile and couldn't understand why tourists weren't swarming (maybe it was the 5 minute walk). We went snorkeling and saw a ton of coral, fish and my husband even saw a 2 meter black tip shark! We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 hours on the other side of the island and would only return to Pulau Payar Marine Park if the price was right.

1 Thank keyestones1984
Kulim, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Coral Island, Langkawi”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have good time snorkeling at Pulau Payar. Although it is not as beautiful as I thought and is not as attractive compare to Pulau Redang or Pulau Perhentian. I think it is a good experience for young children. Few things must be careful when visiting, 1st the shark will bite, so keep a good distance. I didn't know until I came back and it was happen to my friend. Bit by baby shark without major injury. 2nd, don't feed the fish when there are people around the sea. It will trigger the shark to attack them. There is room to improve for the food serving.
I am very happy with the leader of the team, they really take care of our safety. My son is not a good swimmer, one of the team member took good care of him, he even caught some sea creatures and showed it to him. When his goggles loosen, he will stop and help him.
According to the team leader, they are developing the island and in the next few years, we may visit inside the island instead of near the beach only. We will visit Coral Island again.

Visited November 2012