“Tube or square” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 141 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Tube or square”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is my sixth time in Langkawi. I searched for hotels in Agoda and found this new and unique concept. Tubotel is located about five minutes drive from Cenang beach. I stayed there for two nights. The first night I stayed in a tube. It's a unique experience and the room only has a fan. But trust me, it's not hot at all. The sea view is nice and it's very windy. I also love the breakfast they served. Alex, his wife and the staff did a great job maintaining the hotel. The second night I stayed in a square room which has aircond and bigger space to store luggage and few things I bought in Langkawi. Overall I was very happy and satisfied during my stay at the hotel. Will surely come back in the future.

Room Tip: Choose room number 1 - 8 for sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
thank u for your detailed review.

hope u had a good flight back to kl.

just some info for ur net trip to tubotel.
in the near future we will provide bicylcles for free to every guest that orders at our website, this will help sort for transportation problems in the future.
ciao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great value for money! I love the view so much. As an avid photographer, I love this place as I can take sunset & sunrise photo just by staying at this unique design hotel. Staying at this hotel became my nearest sleep to the beach ever. I opened the door and sleep. Very windy & I love it!

Room Tip: Choose the TUBE number 1-6 facing the beach
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sultanmuzaffar
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
hello

many thanks for your kind words, even during ur stay we had some of the worst storms.
the sunglasses u forgot in ur room have been send to u.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

As anyone visiting langkawi will know, there are a plethora of hotels offering all sorts of wonderful experiences for tourists and travellers alike. Tubotel is close to chenang beach but far enough away to avoid the pushy beach sales people and overcrowded stretch of sound. We booked for 4 nights and were coming from different parts fo the world (Melbourne and Edinburgh) so arrived at vastly different times. The only difficulty encountered was that this place is so new the taxi drivers were unsure of the exact spot (ask for lankawi boat key!) From the moment of arrival just before the sun set I was greeted by the Friendly owners Alex and his wife. I needed to rent a car at very short notice to pick up the better half from the airport and was able given all the help I could have asked for to make this happen. The 'better half' is used to the finer things in life and was slightly cautious before booking, a precaution that was not needed, the bright simple and cosy tube rooms are always clean, the service was fantastic throughout our stay and the location is excellent (so much so that instead of moving to somewere much more expensive later in our stay we rebooked here!)
Make sure you go for an early morning swim in the bay and a cocktail in the sea water jacuzzis in the afternoon.
As someone who has travelled extensively in most continents it really is a breath of fresh air to return to an often overcrowded and unrelaxed spot such as langkawi and have the pleasure of finding this jem.
Finally for previous comments related to bugs in someones room: Surely leaving lights and doors/windows open in the evening during monsoon season whilst next to the water is a ridiculous thing to do. I feel sorry for the management that a complaint was even made, yet I suppose that blaming your mistake on the management all over this review site ha smade you feel better.
I look forward to returning to tubotel in the future

Room Tip: The best rooms are no,1 to no,8. If travelling in a group, ask for rooms together to enhance privavc...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank onebiglookaround
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
hello

hope u had a great road trip in europe and everyone is save.

many thanks for ur kind words.

regards to the boss.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Tubotel is one of the concept hotels that I stayed in. The room is rather small and stuffy, but the patio right outside of the cafeteria has a breathtaking view. Toilets are clean, food and drinks are reasonably priced.

The stay at tubotel could have been a wonderful experience if our holiday-mood had not been ruined. I was disappointed by the way the management handled our problem as much as I was by how the management replied to our reviews. "Customers are always right", I believe this is a crucial quote that all hotel managers or owners should keep in mind - customers may be wrong, but respond to their requests or complaints in a way that you would to someone who is right, and that is what customer service is about.

I would have to give this hotel a bad rating. The extent of satisfaction of a traveler's journey is very much related to the people s/he meet, unfortunately we met Bad Customer Service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank PinaColadaBoo
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
thank u too, to write about the same incident as ur friend (bad customer service). 4th time
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

If you are looking for a unique place to stay then this is the ideal hotel. We stayed in a tube and had an amazing view overlooking the sea. The sunset is the best in Langkawi - especially when having a beer in the mini pools. Its not a far walk over the bridge to Chenang beach where most of the bars are but the restaurant on site is worth stopping in for one night anyway.

The service was excellent and Alex was extremely helpful in getting us laundry, motorbike, taxi etc and anything else we needed.

I would definately recommend this to travellers with an open mind looking for something new!

Room Tip: Tubes are obviously warmer than the air con cubes but the view and character is worth it!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
many thanks for your kind words about tubotel. we wish u a save journey and all the best.
'
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Cosy hotel with a different concept. That's what I felt when me and my friends decided to make a trip to Langkawi and chose this hotel for the very same reason. Honestly, I do think it's a lovely place for a bunch of friends to just relax and hang out as their facilities includes 3 mini round pools and a nice patio by the sea.

Check-in was a breeze and we settled-in in no time. Things went out of hand when we noticed tremendous amounts of bugs crawling on one of my friends Tube room when we returned from dinner. We're well aware that bugs are attracted to light source and its normal to have some creepy crawlies at a place like this, especially when it's a non-air conditioned room. But they were no ordinary bugs, and they seem to have emerged from a nearby nest or some sort. We've tried numerous times brushing these little bugs off the bed but they just kept coming back. Imagine a clean white sheet that turned into a clean white sheet with black mini polka dots. Simply put, i'd rather sleep at the patio than in the room. And so one of our friend decided to call the front desk to help resolve the crisis. Sorry to say the owner responded in a very impolite manner. After explaining to the management about our situation, we persuaded the owner to drop by and have a look for himself. I'm not sure what went through his mind, but after checking the rooms he just rudely sped off to get us bugs repellant. Prior to checking the rooms he made impolite comments and assumptions like "are you guys from the city and live in high-rise buildings?", "do you not know that bugs are attracted to lights at night". The owner came back shortly and passed us the mosquito coil and repellant spray. The owner then sprayed the room and tried to sort it out along with his wife. And then they left. Yes, half the bugs perished in the process, but there were still lots of it that came back shortly after.

With that in mind, we simply cant have a good night sleep in that room. So I went on to request for another room for the night. The owner came up with a lot of reasons on why we can't get another room and even how he made a mistake for putting us, customers from Groupon, on the list during peak season. He also made it clear that they are not getting profit out of Groupon, which in my opinion has nothing to do with how you treat your guests. Long story short, at the end of the night 4 of my friends managed to have a good night sleep in their vacant cube rooms with air-condition, which the owner repeatedly emphasized on how it leaks if it rains, which in our case, it did not rain and neither does the room looked like it had any leakage before. Lucky us i guess. But I am glad that they allowed us an upgrade without any extra charges.

The deal we got on Groupon was initially catered for two nights stay but we opted for another hotel instead for the second night because our travel experience were greatly ruined by how the management of Tubotel attended to their customers.

Perhaps we were not the ideal customer that Tubotel management favors during the festive season, I must say there's no way of treating your guests in such manner.

Anyhow, thank you for the experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jv3nus
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
thank u too to take the time to review the bug incident. we have taken ur advice and included all the points mentioned by your group in our welcome letter.
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I spent the weekend here ... made some new friends in a quite unique place. For me a new experience to stay in a tube with a great sea-view. The owners know to treat travelers well ... they also offer a great variety of food ... I'll definitely come back one day to have another ride on the JetSki. Looking forward to stay in more of those unique places ...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tubotel, Owner at Tubotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
thank u for ur kind words. hope to see u at tubotel again.