“Fantastic relaxing holiday”

Tanjung Rhu Resort
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
“Fantastic relaxing holiday”
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I strongly recommend this Hotel if you are planning to go to Langkawi. There are other high class hotels nearby, and we visited them during our stay in Langkawi. I can assure you that this is the best price/quality choice you can make.
The Hotel is not brand new, but it is very well maintained. The staff are very friendly and professional with an authentic attitude of making sure you really feel happy.
We stayed in room 806 with a sea view. A very spacious room and well decorated. Other rooms have a more direct view to the beach, but ours was also fine.
We took the "all inclusive" option, which I strongly recommend. The food is excellent and you have full access to food and drinks 24 hours per day (except for alcohol) including the mini-bar.
The beach is beautiful and clean. The water is not transparent or breathtaking like in the Maldives, but good for swimming before enjoying the excellent pools of the hotel.
This is surely not the place to go if you are looking for trendy discos or very active night life. They have a very good band playing calm music in the library every evening, and a more energetic band playing at two restaurants until 23h00. We usually went to the library to drink a tea or coffee after dinner while listening to great music.
The SPA is very good, and at reasonable prices when compared to other Hotels of this standard to which I have been before.
This is really a quite place to relax and feel happy about life.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JSanywhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel recently and had a great time! The grounds and private beach (wirth a sensational view) were fantastic. The rooms were nice, although a bit dated. Happy hours were very good (twice a day!), as was most of the food. Take the all-inclusive package (ie inclusive of all food and non-alcoholic beverages), as it is well worth it. Our only major gripe was the slow service at the restaurants, which was (to an extent) compensated by the very friendly staff throughout the hotel. Also, the pillows were not as comfortable as they could be. However, this certainly will not stop us from returning to this wonderful hotel!

2 Thank dbasha
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2009

From the moment we were picked up from the airport to the time we were dropped off, there was not a thing which we were left wanting. The staff are what make this place it is. Nothing was a problem.
The grounds were fantastic and the beach i am told is one of the best in Langkawi. There are 3 restaurants and a pool side bar serving snacks. The Rhu is the best for sit down gourmet meal, the saffron sserves meditarranean food and the sands serves breakfast till 11 and then local cuisine fusion.
There is the reading room which has a extensive collection of books and some DVDs. Drinks and afternoon tea are also served there. Free WiFi is available only here.
The lobby has the concierge, front desk and also 2 desktops with printers which are free to use.
Rooms are good with kind of open plan. Comfortable beds, safe, robes and nice toiletries as expected. Daily newsapaper and fruits and chocolates served to the room.
Beach is lovely and enough sun loungers present with free beach towels.
The grounds are well maintained and lots of water features and ponds with plenty of fish and also the resident monitor lizard which is over a metre long!!!
Overall, would thoroughly recommend this any one. We stayed on an all inclusive basis which included all food and non-alcoholic including the mini-bar and room service.

4 Thank dselvan
Singapore
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I booked our stay here after reading all the reviews on this site so my expectations were extremely high. I have to say I was a little disappointed and didn't feel that this lived up to the 5 star resort reputation or the price we paid.

Good things -

- Location is amazing, right on a beautiful, quiet beach with plenty of beach chairs.

- The pools at the hotel are fantastic - they are very large, so never feel overused, and are all in locations with very tranquil settings. Best I have seen.

- There seem to be plenty of group activities organized by the resort which are (I think) free for guests

Less good things -

- Service is very hit and miss. Some of the staff go beyond the call of duty to assist, others seem totally disinterested. At both Saffron and the Sands restaurant, we experienced very average service - having to remind servers of requests for water/coffee 2-3 times, poor hygiene standards at the breakfast buffet, plates being removed while we were still chewing, abrupt and dimissive service, etc. Both restaurants are also EXTREMELY hot, even inside at Saffron which is air conditioned - at a 5 start resort I would not expect that. Also by the pools, getting service for drinks/food was luck only - we were by the pool for 2 hours and were never approached, while some got served immediately.

- Room standards - the resort is a little older and is looking somewhat worn. We had a ground floor room and had to keep the curtains closed all the time as the full length windows opened directly onto the walkway leading into the block where we stayed. As a result it was pretty dark in the room all the time. The maids room was right outside our door, and so each day there was rubbish stacked up outside our door for most of the day waiting for collection. Bathrooms are not modern - I went to run a bath and the water ran out brown for the first 30 seconds! Made me wonder when it was last cleaned.

- No internet!! The rooms had no internet connection, which I was amazed by. You can access internet in reception (2 computers only), and apparently wireless is available in the Reading Room. There is also only a very small selection (<10) of tv/cable channels. You can borrow DVDs, but not a great selection.

- We had a bad experience with room service one night. It arrived as ordered (albeit missing some ingredients listed on the menu!). After we ate we settled down into bed. At about 9.30pm I was awakened by the doorbell ringing. We decided to ignore as we were both in bed. However the doorbell rang again and again, until finally I got up when I realized the person there was trying the door handle. It was room service trying to collect our 2 plates! I was astounded that they would disturb us so late, and keep on ringing the doorbell even when we didn't answer.

Overall I left feeling that I had stayed been in much better places. The price is 5 star but the resort is not.

3 Thank FiChisholm
Romania
Reviewed November 26, 2009

OK.
First thing: the scenery. Breathtaking!
Two: The people working there! Amazing, always smiling, always ready to help!
Three: The food! Almost the best cooked food that i ever ate in my life. (and i've been to some preety good places so far).

BUT, the downthings are much stronger than the the good things!

One: The hotel looks old, the rooms needs refurb ASAP! and i mean ASAP! The most important thing for me and my wife in a hotel room are the towels. We want to have towels that smells clean and feels clean when u put them on your body. Well, not the thing in TR. The towels looked dirty, with rust spots on them (i am talking here about the room towels and poold towels too), even felt dirty.

Two: Bad management! i mean, who wants that during their trip of calm and relaxation to hear very loud chainsaws chainsawing the trees around the resort or very loud sounds of tractor engines coming from a tractor that was roaming the beach in front of the hotel in the middle of the day?! Not me, for sure!
Who wants to stay around the pool and suddenly not to be able to have fresh air inside his lungs, but ait mixed with substances against mosquitoes and other bugs?! They fumigated right in the middle of the day, and in a couple of minutes the hoteland its surroundings was covered in a white-ish mist of distrubing fumes!!!
If u want that during your brakfast or lunch at The Sands restaurant (great food, great staff, great location) to smell chlorine?! yeah, since around the restaurant are located lots and lots of beautifull ponds, they thought that it's a great ideea to spread chlorine in the water (Cholera was detedted in some parts of Malaysia) while people was eating.

3 Thank Qualmeasto
London
Reviewed November 19, 2009

The Tanjung Rhu resort, Langkawi completely exceeded our expectations and we really couldn’t have wished for more from our honeymoon. Our Wedding Day was perfect in every way and although we had researched Tanjung Rhu on the internet we had not really had time to review the website and plan for our honeymoon – so the 2.5km white sandy beach looking out to the Andaman Sea with Thailand in the distance was simply stunning.

The Bayu Suria (mid-range room) we had booked was extremely comfortable and luxurious with great views from our balconies of the Sunset and Lagoon Pools.

The staff were extremely helpful and couldn’t have done more for us –
Paularida cooked us an unbelievable Barbecue on the beach, Dani made us a great Flambe in the signature Rhu restaurant and Rita was always on-call for when we needed our daily refreshment of Rhu Mocktails by Sands Pool.

One of our favourite places though was the Artisan Hut – it was so relaxing watching the wood carving, trying Henna Tattoos, and making Jewellery.

Everything about Tanjung Rhu is centred around relaxation and although daily activities were organized you did not feel in any way pushed to undertake any of this excursions. We were however fortunate to cycle to the waterfall (albeit in extreme humidity), go on a Nature Walk around the hotels own nature island as well as go on the Mangrove Adventure. Seeing Monitor Lizards, Eagles and Monkeys in their natural habit was fantastic and we would totally recommend anyone thinking about going on these excursions to go. Fendi, who was our guide on two of the excursions, has a very amiable character and is extremely knowledgeable about the local surroundings.
We also enjoyed leaving our luxurious surroundings to visit the food market in Kuah Town and experience the true Malay culture.

Katherine and I would have no hesitation to returning to Tanjung Rhu and would love to return for our 1st Anniversary!! We hope the renovation work that is due to commence simply improves on the current facilities (which is difficult to do) and does not alter the atmosphere of this idyllic destination.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdiKay
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I went there in Nov 2009 with my amazing husband for a quick long weekend getaway (3 days). We do vacations around 3 times/year; so have some comparisons in mind.

BOOKING
I book with agoda and got rate around 400 USD/night (all inclusive) for the cheapest room (Damai – Garden View). I think discount was around 150 USD/night or so. Connecting with the hotel is not an issue, they reply emails within the same day.

ROOM
The room is very spacious, the bed was exceptionally great. There are choices of pillow (hard, soft, etc) already spreaded around so you don’t have to select from “menu”. You can tell that the room is already a bit old; for example: the edge of the mirror has some rust already; but it was still comfortable. There’s a small patio outside where you can sit around.

They lit some aromatherapy burner when you first check in so it was a nice touch. Despite all, for some reason the room doesn’t feel “romantic”. They do have this big bathtub that has big window to the bedroom (so you can actually see the other person take a bath from the bed). So definitely there’s a potential; but it just wasn’t maximized. Perhaps a dash of flowers would pumped up the romance factor better. It’s more romantic at the beach.

LOCATION
Indeed it’s quite far from the city, even tours charge you extra if you stay at Rhu because it’s far. But indeed this resort has their own private beach (although some locals usually broke in to the beach at the afternoon to harvest some seaweed) but it was not up to a level where it’s annoying. There’s always enough sun lounger. No need to elbow anyone.

The sunset was amazing (IF it’s not too cloudy or raining). You can walk to the other island when the tide is low; just make sure you get back before sunset and the high tide kicked back in. I didn’t see any info board on the safe time to go across though. You can see Thailand right across the Andaman Sea. The sands look white in pictures, but it’s actually not a sandy beach; it’s shell beach. So it’s a bit rough on the feet but still ok. The sea is murky, definitely not as clear as South Thailand.

FOOD
I heard rave reviews about the food so I got very high expectation. I was very surprised that my expectation was not met. Overall I’d give it 6.5 out of 10. The desert was very good though (especially their Strawberry Mascarpone Kataifi). But the entrée and main course was a bit of hit and miss. Their authentic Malaysian food was very good actually (I tried it during breakfast) but it was not the “main attraction” in any restaurant or in room dining. For some reason the lunch service is always slower than dinner. So do plan to spend at least 1.5 – 2 hours to eat.

They basically have several restaurants; the Saffron (casual lunch + dining), the Rhu (fine dining) and the Sands (breakfast). Do bring your smart casual clothing + shoes to eat at the Rhu (we didn’t so it’s our loss hiks hiks). For the Sands; I’m not happy to see big birds hanging around at the restaurant. They already put a huge net around the restaurant but the birds still came in.

Do make sure you take all inclusive package. For us the food + non alcoholic drink cost was around 50% of the room charge. So it was definitely worth it.

ACTIVITIES
There’s not much to do besides hanging around. They do have a lot of activities planned (garden walk, batik chanting, etc) but in my opinion there’s lack of real fun activities. I read some previous reviewers that can stay there for 10 days, but for me I think 3 days was sufficient. That very depends on your traveling style I guess. Better go around to Langkawi Cable Car + Sky Bridge or snorkeling to Pulau Payar. If you take all inclusive package, the non motorized water toys are included (i.e. kayak, catamaran, water bicycle).

SERVICE
Check in was in room. There’s no incorrect bill charges. Overall the employees are quite courteous. There’s a quartet playing music from sunset until 10 pm or so. We order a song and it was very romantic! It was unforgettable experience to dance at beach on sunset listening to their serenade! (yeah, who cares if other people were watching) If you do in room dining, they will set your table and proactively checks whether you have finished your meal to take a way the plates; so very appreciated.

There are some incidents though. When one of the waitresses found out that I’m originally Indonesian, she said “Oh, how come you’re here? This is a very expensive place you know” – I felt slightly uncomfortable but since I’m in a good mood I let it slip away. There was another incident where the staff is asking what’s the nature of my relationship at the end of my check in (I went there with my husband) I thought that was a bit too personal to ask and unnecessary question from their end. But I let that slip away as well. Those are 2-3 small incidents and I didn’t let it destroyed my vaca.

KIDS
Yes, they put limitation on number of kids. Sorry to say but I think that’s a good practice, and it’s proven that the resort is very quite. My husband and I even whispered at the beach because we don’t want to disturb anyone as it’s so quite. But I don’t see any guards ushering the kids away though. Some kids even brought to the fine dining.

OVERALL SUMMARY
Worth it? Quite OK if you book all inclusive. Would I go back? I don’t think so, kinda boring. Did I regret going there? No, it’s still a nice experience. Would I recommend to others? Yes if this is your first time to Langkawi.

For pictures check out my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariyanti_p/
Drop me personal message if you have questions! Happy travel!

4 Thank Ti_Chan