“Paradise in Langkawi!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Melbourne, Australia
“Paradise in Langkawi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed Tanjung Rhu for 5N/6D last mid this month (January 12-17, 2013), and we absolutely had a great time! The place was a paradise, not just because of it's natural beauty (beach and the view) but because of the great service and friendly/helpful staff, excellent food and the activities all throughout the resort (although we only did kayaking, archery and sunset cruise, we were too lazy to do other activities - this place will make you lazy coz the staff does everything for you). The staff were very accomodating, friendly and knowledgeble. They made us feel welcome and did their best to make sure we had a great time. The Filipino orchestra at night was amaziing! I couldn't imagine a better entertainment at night while having dinner at the Rhu or just chilling at the Reading Room. The music they played were a combination of lovely old and new songs, we really enjoyed listening to their music. I forgot the name of the 'all around music' guy but he is very good too. He usually is at the Sands for breakfast playing piano and in the afternoon he is at the Sands bar and pool for some acoustic (during the happy hour) and at night he plays at Saffron. The staff at Sands restaurant and the bar were really good! Amazing service and friendliness, same goes to The Rhu staff, Saffron, and the bar at the Family pool. Our only recommendation is to upgrade the room, and we are aware that this is already in progress. The resort were overall clean, the garden very much maintained. Just be mindful of the giant lizard that 'normally' walks around, it freaked me out when we were at the Sands and I saw it walking towards me! My partner forgot to tell me about this so not the resorts fault and apparently it doesn't bite or run after you. Otherwise, perfect place to relax, enjoy quality time with partner or family and get fat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear elialv,
Thank you for staying with us and for the very heartwarming review. Thank you for the kind compliments on the food and the facilities and especially for recognising the wonderful, warm hearted staff. I am also very happy that you have mentioned our musicians - The Dynamic Strings at the Rhu and Ishan - the guitarist, pianist, singer and all round music man who makes wonderful tunes all around the Resort. They will all be pleased to know they have pleased you so much and made this a special place in Paradise for you and your partner. I hope to be able to welcome you back Home someday soon!

Enzo Rulli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

If your looking for a break from stress and you want to get quiet time, this is the place to go.
Personally, this is the best place for a honeymoon.
To our blessing, the room was upgraded nicely to Bayu Senja.
The only thing you have to worry about is which pool do u want to relax and swim.No other stress.

Warm and friendly service, beautiful atmosphere from surrounding nature to interior room design.

Its the best way to enjoy a holiday, to not go anywhere, just stay in the hotel and enjoy it.
I even ditched my scheduled Pulau Payar trip just to relax in the hotel.

I loved the concept of "check-in" in the room itself.
Everybody smiles and wishes you, from the landscape gardener to the front office staff.
Kudos to the management team that instills this practice.

Front desk& Concierge team are accommodating & responsive to every request.Very good job.
This keeps the guess always happy.

To highlight, during our stay, the front desk team - Niva , Fuad the friendly chap that fetched us from the airport - greets us by our name everytime we see him, and the sands pool guys were very warm and welcoming.

Breakfast was excellent, and the place was peaceful.

The spa folks was very friendly, but unfortunately,although they massaged with full effort and passion, the massage was too painful for us, probably because they were focusing on the same area too long.
Which we should have stopped them ,but we didn't say anything.Our bad.

All in all, We are already planning my next stay there.

Room Tip: Bayu Senja - 402 is a good room with beautiful scenery of the sea. If you want to open the window a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Edwin _Irene,
I am very pleased that you enjoyed the private, peaceful tranquility that is Tanjung Rhu! It was very nice of you to highlight the staff friendliness and warm service and I am sure that Niwa, Fuad, the team from the Sands Pool and all the rest of the staff who all looked after you so well, will be so pleased to read your comments. You are very correct about how your stress, along with years of wrinkles, disappear while you are here - the main stress in being here is, as you said - which pool (or which section of 2.5km of beach) do you want to relax by? Where to have a delicious lunch or dinner today? Is there enough room in the tummy to also enjoy an exquisite High Tea in the afternoon? What Wellness Treatment should I indulge in today?... and "How do I cope with being totally relaxed and at peace with the world whilst being here in Paradise?” I look forward to welcoming you back Home to Paradise soon!

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We'd visited Tanjung Rhu three times in the early 2000s when we were living in Malaysia but hadn't been back for 9 years so we decided it was high time to treat ourselves and our (now teenage) daughters to a slice of the paradise we had never forgotten for Christmas, and we certainly weren't disappointed.
The property is undergoing major refurbishment (by which I mean that batches of rooms are being systematically gutted and re-modelled), but there was no work going on during the peak Xmas/NY period and we experienced absolutely no disruption whatsoever to the metronomic running of the hotel. (We understand that the hotel will be closed during Q1 2013 while the bulk of future work is going on, so have no fear!). We were lucky enough not only to be checked into a pair of the first wave of newly refurbished rooms upon our return, but also to have been upgraded from Damai to the Cehaya rooms. The standard of furnishing and attention to detail in these refurbished rooms just has to be seen to be believed, taking the already unique and magnificent standards by which we had remembered Tanjung Rhu and ratcheting them up another notch. Quite incredible.
The beach and the bay were just as beautiful, clean and picturesque as we had remembered them and the new (well, it wasn't there 9 years ago!) Sands pool was a haven of peace and tranquillity.
The staff at Tanjung Rhu have always been the most expertly trained and guest-centric we have ever encountered and this hasn't changed either. Everyone, from the wonderful concierges to the terrific front desk operation, restaurant teams, housekeepers, recreation staff and maintenance crew, always greets you with a warm and friendly smile and will do anything and everything they possibly can to help you make the most of your holiday. They are all fabulous. It was also a pleasure to meet and chat with Enzo, the GM, who is regularly spotted wandering around the property, ready and willing to chat to guests and to help out in any way he can. Thanks Enzo, you're a fantastic recruit to the hospitality industry!
The only difficulties you will have are: i) being able to accept it's time to leave this magnificent hotel at the end of your stay and ii) deciding just how many nights you can afford to stay for on your next visit!
Thanks to everyone at Tanjung Rhu for making our return so special. We promise not to leave it so long next time!

Room Tip: The first wave of newly refurbished rooms are 1301-1316 (opened in December 2012). See if you can g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank El_Sueno
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear El_Sueno,
Thank you for a most wonderful review and I am really pleased to know that 9 years on you have still been able to experience the same magical Tanjung Rhu experience. I am happy to hear that you liked the new rooms and this is pretty much the feedback that we have had from many return guests so we will be looking forward to having all the rooms upgraded in a similar fashion over the coming year. Thank you also for all the kind compliments to the fantastic staff and also for the personal comments as they are very much appreciated and make all of us feel like we getting close to achieving our Vision of making Tanjung Rhu the Number 1 Luxury beach resort destination in Asia. It was great to meet and talk to you while you were here and I trust that your daughter's ear problem was OK for the flight back home. We have all the Roti Canai, Dahl and Chicken Curry ready and waiting at breakfast for you so don't take so long this time to come back and see your Tanjung Rhu Family back here in Paradise!

Taby, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is extremely well managed with attention to all details. Private areas where kids are not allowed for the honeymooners and great pool, kids club and activities if travelling with kids.
Great food, clean pool and beaches, nice rooms, easy listineng live music every night, nice staff, the list goes on and on.
Hard to find something to complain about actually. One thing is thar the hotel is very secluded and you really need to rent a car if to explore Langkawi.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Nelsssson,
Thank you for your very kind review and it gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable time with us. It is very pleasing to know that there was no cause for complaint and I do hope that you will be able to come back and see us here in Paradise again some time soon. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back Home when you do.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is perfect, the staff are very friendly and make you feel like family. Staying here for christmas was a brilliant idea, lovely room, amazing food and a range of restaurants to choose from in the hotel, just fantastic!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Freya_805
relaxLGK, General Manager at Tanjung Rhu Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Freya_805,
Welcome to the Tanjung Rhu Family and it was so nice to know that you felt the family touch whilst you were here with us at Christmas time. Christmas is (another) wonderful time to be at Tanjung Rhu and I am so pleased that it was "brilliant" for you. I hope next time you will also be able to stay for the New Year celebrations here in Paradie as they are wonderful too. I look forward to welcoming you back Home some time soon!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent our honeymoon at Tanjung Rhu resort and stayed 6 days in the Bayu Senja room with the sea view. We chose this resort as after reading reviews it sounded like the quietest and most relaxing of the alternatives and we were not dissapointed. We arrived mid december and the resort was at low capacity which made it even better.
The private beach is fantastic, water wonderful and the pool facilities are all first class. We chose the all inclusive and I was initially worried we would be faced with buffet style charter food but the reality was completely different. Great dining options but we chose to spend the majority of our meals at the Saffron restaurant which is on the beachfront and has a large and good quality menu. (book to get a table on the beachfront.. well worth the small effort!) being free to order everything/anytime be it from the beach, pool or room wasn't great for the waist line but meant everything for the relaxation and enjoyment.

After spending a day travelling around Langkawi in the middle of our trip we realised it was a waste as nothing compared to the feeling of being at the resort. The beach itself is far and above the other options available on the island itself in our opinion. We travelled as a couple but it seems very child friendly, and with the adults only pool area it also means peace and quiet all day as well for those that want it.

I am not sure the rooms can be classified as 5 star but they are lovely and next time we would probably save money and choose a smaller room as we spent next to no time except sleeping there in any case! I think a week of isolation here would be the maximum I would stay as there is not a lot to do except relax :-) which was what we were after. Water sports equipment was great and the fact there is no motor driven water sport means the beach is quiet and enjoyable all day. The staff were phenomenal and we felt like we were special the entire trip.

How well would I rate this place? well considering the concierge unfortunately dropped all our bags in the pond upon arrival... yes all our bags/clothing soaked in pond water... the resort and the staff were good enough that by the end we agreed we would definitely go back..a fairly impressive turnaround!

I read a lot about rainy season but we had a few showers only spaced out over the days and they were a refreshing change in any case. I wouldnt stay there at peak occupancy as I think it could lose some of its charm if its too crowded but it lived up to its five star rating when you take the whole place into consideration and don't judge on single items.

Definitely get the bbq dinner on the beach, truly an amazing evening and was the pinnacle of the trip for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen M,
Thank you for the review and I am sos pleased that you had a memorable honeymoon with us. The All Inclusive Package is certainly great value and I am pleased that you were able to enjoy this to the fullest. Please know that even during the peak season Tanjung Rhu does not lose it's charm and in some ways has a new charm with a wonderful spirit - especially during Christmas when we have a lovely family environment (Tanjung Rhu Family that is) that has to be experienced to be fully appreciated and understood.

I apologize for the unfortunate incident with your luggage upon arrival but I am happy to know that we were able to fully recover from this and turn it around so that it did not overly impact on your overall enjoyment of the special experience that is Tanjung Rhu.

I hope that we will be able to see you again when you return to Paradise!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our third trip to The Tanjung Rhu and it just doesn't get any better than this hotel. As returning guests we are made to feel like family. Christmas and New Year would not be the same anywhere else. The staff here are all amazing and very special. There is never anything that is too much trouble and it's always done with a warm smile. The Hotel is in the process of renovating it's rooms and they are still in keeping with the style that has we have come to love so much. The food is, as always, great. There is something for everyone, from typical Malay cuisine to pizza served in Saffron. The Rhu is fusion style food and is incredibly good. We love it here and once again the New Years Eve party was amazing. The management, including the manager Enzo (we have the video by the way) did themselves proud with their version of Tanjung Rhu Style!!! Loved it. Every year it gets harder to leave our wonderful family here and there is always tears on the way to the airport from our daughter who has become life long friends with the wonderful people that make The Tanjung Rhu one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Roll on Xmas 2013.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Tinge044,
Wonderful to see your review and it was great to see you all again at the special time of the year. Christmas and New Year is certainly a great time of the year at Tanjung Rhu and families like yours make it all the more special for all of us. It really feels like all the family is coming home for Christmas with all our beautiful return guests as well as the new "family" members who are joining us for the first special time. I am so please you all had another great time here and were able to take back more special memories. New Years Eve was certainly a fantastic evening and we all enjoyed it together like never before. We have tears too when you leave but they are there are also tears of joy as we known we will see you again this year. I am looking forward to seeing you again as we celebrate the Festive Season "Opah Tanjung Rhu Style" again in 2013.