“Berjaya ... Nice slice of paradise, but breakfast is lacking”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Berjaya ... Nice slice of paradise, but breakfast is lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2009

I currently live in KL. My wife and I have been trying to get out to see all of what Malaysia has to offer, which is plenty. We recently decided to go to Langkawi to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. We asked for a secluded room, and after some minor haggling, we got what we wanted (they were very accommodating).

There's a lot to like about this place. The scenery is just gorgeous, the beach is beautiful, the sound of ocean waves lulls you to sleep, mischevious monkeys amuse you, lots of butterflies, chirping cicadas, warm ocean to play in, a nice pool, handy access to some real neat cultural areas and activities. The staff personnel are genuinely friendly as well.

Unfortunately, Berjaya falls short of reaching it's potential and I don't think I'll return. The single biggest problem was breakfast. When making my reservation I opted for the increased rate that included breakfast. I didn't know if I had alternatives to eating breakfast so this seemed the best bet. Unfortunately the buffet is absolutely terrible. The first day we went to eat late (10:00), there was hardly any food left, and what was left was cold, mushy or not fresh. I let it slide thinking that we should have gone earlier (buffet closes at 10:30). The next day we went at 9:00, but encountered the same ... waffles that were hard, cold, empty bowls of fruit, rice, etc. I literally could not find enough decent food to fill our plate. Also, the service just wasn't acceptable. I couldn't get anyone's attention to get coffee. I would have gotten it myself, but that wasn't possible (it was in the back). So, we slowly got disappointed about the whole affair. On our final day we opted to walk (5 minutes) to the Oriental village. Unfortunately we got there at 9:45 and nothing was open, so with no other options we walked back to Berjaya and endured the same bad service one more time. It really was a huge disappointment. There are some nicer restaurants at the hotel, the Thai restaurant in particular that are highly recommended, but breakfast was just a bummer for us.

So, could you go to this hotel and enjoy yourself and come away satisfied? You probably could ... just don't expect anything halfway reasonable for breakfast. I would seriously (I mean seriously) consider buying milk and cereal and putting it in your mini-bar. Other than that, we did enjoy ourselves. Please note, I'm not a picky, uppity eater. It just wasn't on par with the rest of the hotel.

One note ... do be careful of the monkeys. We were on the 2nd floor of the Premium Chalet just off the water in the edge of the forest. I was out on our deck getting ready to enjoy a nice Corona with lime (that the friendly staff provided). I stepped into our room for no more than 20 seconds when my wife screamed at me "Look out, he's stealing your limes!!!" ... I turned around and this monkey had my tupperware container under his arm and was making a beeline to the railing. He slid through the slats of the balcony but couldn't get the container through. I caught up to him, but he recovered and went over the railing, limes in hand. He got just out of my reach, calmly opened the container and picked through what he wanted. I thought of offering him a beer and one of my cigars, but thought he might steal something else.

Berjaya is OK. It truly is beautiful. Service is generally good, the shuttle service is efficient, the rooms have a nice view (although the ones far in the back look dated). The beers are very, very reasonable (around $1.25 equivalent). There's also a little juice stall down by the pool that makes some wonderful fresh mango juice. Say hello to Siti. She's a very cool Arab/Indian/Malay (Asian) lady that's very fun to chat with.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnnyBG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,163)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

We were booked at Berjaya Spa report @ Langkawi for our stay post our travel to S'pore, Kuala Lumpur and Genting highlands. We wanted to end our trip on a high and luxurious note so opted for Berjaya. After landing in Langkawi, we were taken to a beautifully located, though bit in the corner of Langkawi, hotel which was amidst rainforest and surrounded by nature. The hotel lobby was high and breezy though it still was humid enough to make me sweat for 10 odd minutes we were standing there during our check in procedures. Its so huge that they have their buses to ply guests from rooms to different parts of the hotel. We were amazed to see our Chalet located under the trees. We were warned against keeping windows or doors open as a monkey could drop by but nothing of that sort happened. Cautionary purpose, we also did not open them. Upon check in, we were presented with a gym bag, honeymoon cake, bottle of wine and a fruit plate which was a relief for us after so much of traveling. The rooms were clean and beds very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was amazing to say the least with variety of food. You can spend a lot of time at the pool, bar, hotel's private beach etc and you wont get bored if you want a relaxing holiday. We were treated to a complimentary dinner which was very romantic and great gesture before we took memories back to Mumbai. Berjaya made our trip memorable and our stay very luxurious and comfortable.

Couple of things you would notice and not in favour of this hotel are:
1) Its nestled in a corner of Langkawi due to which commuting becomes a problem since you would have to spend 30-45 minutes in the cab/bus whenever/wherever you have to travel.
2) It costs a lot to book anything from the hotel so you might want to look for options elsewhere through your agent or even through local agents.

• Liked — Serene surroundings, nature around and comfort
  • Disliked — Distance from all major attractions in the city
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gaurav06in
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

After a lengthy journey from Cairo we checked into Berjaya late in the evening and were met by Front Desk Officer Joyce who greeted us with the most enormous warm smile and a personalised check-in, taking us to our room and explaining about the hotel and our chalet.

As honeymooners we had been upgraded from a Deluxe chalet to a Premier Land Chalet, and Joyce took us by hotel shuttle bus to our room. Inside the room was spacious, spotless with fresh modern furniture, an enormous bed and gorgeous bathroom with a tub that enabled us to gaze out at the rainforest and Andaman sea. Along with the tub-with-a-view was a large walk in shower and twin sinks.

It's the extra touches that make Berjaya Beach stand out, we were welcomed with a heart-shaped honeymoon cake and a bottle of wine and sparkling juice, along with a warm note of congratulations. we also really appreciated the other nice touches like an ironing board and iron in the room, and torches and umbrellas for when the tropical rain falls.

The Premier Land Chalet was exceptional, with a large balcony, enough for two sun loungers and a chair and table (and a handful of the local furry wildlife!). We adored our room, it gave us the exotic sounds and sights of being in the rainforest with glorious views of the seas and incredible coastline of Langkawi.

We woke to Great Hornbills peeering in through the window and bands of cheeky monkeys often paid a visit to the balcony. At dusk, fascinating flying lemurs swooped among the trees and we saw all manner of incredible insects and bugs, not to mention the huge array of birdlife, from white bellied sea eagles, to hornbills and spectacularly coloured kingfishers.

Thanks to the hotel's complimentary nature walk we were able to spot the rainforest's vast array of creatures, recognising them by sight and sound. Do this walk as soon as you arrive, it'll really enhance the rest of your stay in the hotel and the guides are extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

A real treasure of this hotel is the staff. They were charming and genuine and couldn't do enough to help and make our stay truly wonderful. In the morning we would pass housekeepers on mopeds with armfuls of sheets and laundry, still managing to give us a wave, an enormous warm smile and a yell of "morning!". You can't help but feel fantastic when you get that kind of reception from everyone you pass.

General Manager Enzo Rulli is a refreshing change from the usual faceless hotel manager. He's implemented a lot of changes at Berjaya and we were pleased to speak to him, not to complain, but to tell him how delighted we were with every aspect of our honeymoon at Berjaya.

He and his wife are exceptionally friendly and approachable and are keen to hear opinions on the hotel - and he genuinely seems to care and is obviously striving to make this resort the heaven on earth that we visited. They were an absolute delight to get to know - make sure you pass on your views too.

Staying in the Premier Chalet we had the option of having breakfast either in the large Dayang Cafe in the main body of the hotel, or in the beach restaurant. On the first morning we ate in the Dayang Cafe and I was delighted to see my first band of macaque monkeys on the roof. Breakfast is buffet style and the choices were great. Being in Malaysia you get a real mix of cuisines including Thai, Chinese, Malay, Indian and Western foods.

Chefs are on hand to cook fresh omelettes, pancakes and waffles and the hot food varieties include rice and noodle dishes, a variety of curries and lentils, potatoes, meat dishes and eggs.

There's the usual continental fare too with cereals, tropical fruits, breads, pastries and yoghurts.

The hotel lobby has a gift shop, lobby bar, internet cafe and staff on hand with all the info you could want to make the most of Langkawi island.

We booked a Mangrove tour and it was probably one of the highlights of our stay. We boarded a motor boat for a full day tour of Langkawi's mangrove rivers. Our guide Wan picked out countless wildlife for us and explained in detail what we were seeing. Our first sighting was the Spectacled Langur, an extremely cute black monkey with white circled eyes and lips. They are quite shy and other guests on Langkawi had not seen them. They seem to have a fondness for the Berjaya hotel grounds though as we saw an abundance of them. Next were the fiestier macaque monkeys who swam out to our boat to greet the captain. The tour also took us to Langkawi's bat caves, a fish farm with stingrays to pet and bizarre archer fish performing on cue. Lunch was included at Barn Thai, an exotic restaurant deep in the heart of the mangroves with lots of monkey activity.

After the river trip the boat took us out to sea for coastal views and 'eagle feeding'. In excess of 50 eagles (actually red kites), the symbol of Langkawi, swooped overhead to feed. Quite an incredible sight. The trip ended with an hour or so on a beautiful beach. well worth the money and highly recommended, you won't regret this one.

There's lots to do in Langkawi; take a visit to Kuah town, Cenang Beach, Black sand beach, the wildlife park, crocodile farm, bird sanctuaries, cable car, snorkelling and diving, specatcular mountain waterfalls - it goes on - and Berjaya is a great base to travel from with taxis on site, or car or moped rental with which to explore the island.

I also celebrated my birthday at Berjaya and had dinner at the Thai restaurant on a large jetty in the sea under the stars. It's the ultimate romantic spot and the food was delicious. Staff greeted me my name and Rob and Cecil the singing duo serenaded me at my table, joined by my husband. This brought me to tears and a few other diners were quite emotional too. Restaurant staff had arranged a special table for us with flowers and silk decorations. We were absolutely treated like royalty - and received yet another cake - this time personalised for me on my birthday. An unforgettable evening.

The hotel also has a Japanese restaurant located in the Oriental Village, a few minutes walk away. The chef is superb and the suishi and tempura were awesome. A set meal is great value and also includes salad, miso soup, pickles, fruit, rice and a choice of main course. It's in a lovely setting next to an ornamental lake, with the Langkawi cable car in the background.

As a duty free island Langkawi has some decent shopping. The Oriental village is one place to start with souvenirs of Langkawi and beach clothes, a duty free shop and a spa with an unusual 'fish therapy' pool where hundreds of fish nibble away at the dead skin on your body. It's meant to be particularly beneficial for those with eczema or other skin conditions.

Back in the hotel the nightlife is elegant and effortlessly relaxed. If you're after a more boisterous vibe head to Cenang Beach where there are a string of bars and restaurants. In Berjaya the entertainment suits the setting. Currently they have a very good band from the Phillipines consisting of 2 very strong female singers and a male keyboard/guitarist/singer. The girls have great voices and can perform almost any request flawlessly.

The beach restaurant has an acoustic duo who I dubbed the 'Langkawi Elvis's'. They have a 50's swing vibe, performing on contra bass and guitar. The Thai restaurant has the fabulous Rob and Cecil performing classic ballads at your table - they're also both great fun and a real pleasure to get to know.

The hotel also has a 'fun pub' with large screens and pool tables, but it was relatively dead while we were there, with people preferring to relax in the hotel lobby bar.

If you're staying in the hotel during the day, you have a choice of lounging at the pool with breathtaking views of the lush rainforest, or heading to the hotel beach and tanning, reading a book in the shade, or indulging in some fun on the water by hiring kayaks or jetskis. Exploring the resort is also worth a few hours of your time. The chalet rooms are spread out over acres of rainforest and make for beautiful jungle walks where you can be captivated for hours by the sights and sounds above your head, in the trees and amongst the undergrowth.

Treat yourself to a pampering session in the hotel spa, buried deep in the rainforest at the back of the resort. They seem to have offers each month, details of which are found in your room.

Berjaya Beach Hotel surpassed all our expectations and was a truly unique experience where we felt treasured as guests. The amazing chalets were perfect and a complete antidote to generic block hotel buildings where you could be plonked anywhere in the world. The chalets give you ultimate privacy and a sense of really being close to the outstanding natural beauty and wildlife that surrounds you - all this and fantastic high quality rooms kept spotlessly clean.

It was a truly unforgettable experience, a perfect honeymoon, a stunning location, jaw-dropping wildlife and amazing people that have made a lasting impression on us. And the negatives? The fact that we had to leave. We spent 12 incredible days there and we couldn't have asked for more. Thank you Berjaya staff and management for giving us the holiday of a lifetime. We now have a Langkawi addiction and wouldn't want to spend it anywhere else but at beautiful Berjaya, we can't wait to come back.

Go. Enjoy. Experience the magic of this tropical paradise.

5 Thank CairogalUk
Coimbatore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

Our stay at this hotel was pleasant and memorable. This resort is very beautifully constructed (so one tends to excuse the buggy rides to the rooms!). We chose to stay at the cottages constructed on stilts over the water. It was beautiful to just look out onto the sea. We even saw a few dolphins.
There was much to do at Langkawi and so we did not spend as much time as we would have like to, at the resort. We would be out most of the day, and return only at night. The Thai restaurant was our favorite dinner retreat. We loved the food there, but then the food at the coffee shop wasnt very good.
We would have liked to take the nature walks arranged by the hotel, in and around the hotel, but we couldnt do it due to lack of time.
We hope to do it on our next holiday at Langkawi.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank svcindia
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2009

It is a very good hotel. Beach and pool are neat and clean .Room service is also very efficient.

They have some good restaurants but food is VERY overpriced. I knew that these kind of hotel normally charged bit higher, but it should not be 10 time higher.
We tried a buffet dinner , choice were very very limited but they charged 80RM/person , where as you will get very quality food in any nice restaurant within 15-20RM.

Well, who will stay in this hotel in future can try the food from oriental village which is within a walking distance and Berjaya also offer free shuttle service (one way) there.Oriental village has few good restaurant and a budget food court.

For car hiring and water sports , I will suggest you to go to chenang beach area. You will get everything with 75% less price than Berjaya.

My overall experience about this hotel is good.I did not face any bug problem in the room, although I have seen some review about this.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank DhakaPagla
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2009

We've just returned from Berjaya Langkawi day before yesterday, and all I can say - it was splendid. That was wonderful 12 days in this hotel, nice and friendly staff, excellent food, entertaiment was just fine, beach and room - exactly wha we were looking for. No doubt, we will return to this hotel next year for sure. Thank you Berjaya. Natasha and Ivan

1 Thank Natasha_1377
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

Fantastic property and a great location near the beach! The villas on the sea are amazing but we stayed inland in one of the cottages that were neatly done. The only issue was with ants coming in to the bath tub God knows from where!

Couple of good restaurants to dine at, especially the Thai restaurant which is built on a jetty that overlooks the sea.

• Liked — The location and the property
  • Disliked — The distance from the reception to the rooms and the wait for the shuttle or for room service
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nomadBangalore