I currently live in KL. My wife and I have been trying to get out to see all of what Malaysia has to offer, which is plenty. We recently decided to go to Langkawi to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary. We asked for a secluded room, and after some minor haggling, we got what we wanted (they were very accommodating).
There's a lot to like about this place. The scenery is just gorgeous, the beach is beautiful, the sound of ocean waves lulls you to sleep, mischevious monkeys amuse you, lots of butterflies, chirping cicadas, warm ocean to play in, a nice pool, handy access to some real neat cultural areas and activities. The staff personnel are genuinely friendly as well.
Unfortunately, Berjaya falls short of reaching it's potential and I don't think I'll return. The single biggest problem was breakfast. When making my reservation I opted for the increased rate that included breakfast. I didn't know if I had alternatives to eating breakfast so this seemed the best bet. Unfortunately the buffet is absolutely terrible. The first day we went to eat late (10:00), there was hardly any food left, and what was left was cold, mushy or not fresh. I let it slide thinking that we should have gone earlier (buffet closes at 10:30). The next day we went at 9:00, but encountered the same ... waffles that were hard, cold, empty bowls of fruit, rice, etc. I literally could not find enough decent food to fill our plate. Also, the service just wasn't acceptable. I couldn't get anyone's attention to get coffee. I would have gotten it myself, but that wasn't possible (it was in the back). So, we slowly got disappointed about the whole affair. On our final day we opted to walk (5 minutes) to the Oriental village. Unfortunately we got there at 9:45 and nothing was open, so with no other options we walked back to Berjaya and endured the same bad service one more time. It really was a huge disappointment. There are some nicer restaurants at the hotel, the Thai restaurant in particular that are highly recommended, but breakfast was just a bummer for us.
So, could you go to this hotel and enjoy yourself and come away satisfied? You probably could ... just don't expect anything halfway reasonable for breakfast. I would seriously (I mean seriously) consider buying milk and cereal and putting it in your mini-bar. Other than that, we did enjoy ourselves. Please note, I'm not a picky, uppity eater. It just wasn't on par with the rest of the hotel.
One note ... do be careful of the monkeys. We were on the 2nd floor of the Premium Chalet just off the water in the edge of the forest. I was out on our deck getting ready to enjoy a nice Corona with lime (that the friendly staff provided). I stepped into our room for no more than 20 seconds when my wife screamed at me "Look out, he's stealing your limes!!!" ... I turned around and this monkey had my tupperware container under his arm and was making a beeline to the railing. He slid through the slats of the balcony but couldn't get the container through. I caught up to him, but he recovered and went over the railing, limes in hand. He got just out of my reach, calmly opened the container and picked through what he wanted. I thought of offering him a beer and one of my cigars, but thought he might steal something else.
Berjaya is OK. It truly is beautiful. Service is generally good, the shuttle service is efficient, the rooms have a nice view (although the ones far in the back look dated). The beers are very, very reasonable (around $1.25 equivalent). There's also a little juice stall down by the pool that makes some wonderful fresh mango juice. Say hello to Siti. She's a very cool Arab/Indian/Malay (Asian) lady that's very fun to chat with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Home to Unesco's World GeoPark, discover the island said to have inspired love and miracles. Cocooned within a rainforest sanctuary, Berjaya Langkawi Resort embraces boundless views of emerald waters and green-cushioned mountains. With an array of convention facilities and inspired spa treatments complemented with heartfelt services, moments are filled with a sense of natural connection and harmonious retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia Hotel Langkawi
- Berjaya Langkawi Beach Hotel
- Resort Langkawi
- Berjaya Langkawi Beach Spa Resort