“Nice villa concept, maintenance could have been better.. Disappointed”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed May 3, 2009

The villas concept of nested among the forest was good, it made each villa exclusive & private on its own. However we realised the maintenace of the resort was not up to mark considering the price we paid RM396 per night for delxue villa. The room was obviously refurbished before. Things like shower tap has been changed, wall painted, but no other major renovation was done. The toilet was a big disappointment, rusty shower curtain rod, broken wall tiles, brownish water continously dripping from below sink. Bedroom comes with a nice balcony overlooking the sea, however the balcony door does not close properly, so are the windows. So there's always gaps where row of ants are always coming into the room.
Since the villa is nested in nature, it should not be a shock to see ants, cockroaches, bugs. But not the amount of ants we saw coming into our room. Every night we have to spray insecticide to stop them from coming in (fortunately the resort provided the insecticide).
Good thing about the resort is it comes with its own beach & sufficient sea sports, several restaurants & a nice swimming pool. Location of resort was not bad, walking distance of about 10 mins to cable car & oriental village.
Overall resort concept was good, but it really need a major renovations to get rid of its rundown look, be it at the lobby, restaurant or the room.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Holidaysss

Reviewed May 3, 2009

Stayed at berjaya resort for 2 weeks had a great time staff were very nice and very helpful. When we arrived we had to change rooms twice so they upgraded us to a premier suite with a sea view it was lovely, however we were quite happy with the rooms we had but in the 1st one there was no water and in the second the patio door fell off but we took it all in our stride. I could not say one bad thing about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. Overall Food, staff and location were great and we loved the wildlife that surrounded us.

Reviewed May 2, 2009

When my travel agent recommended the Berjaya Beach Resort on Langkawi I had no idea what to expect. It was my first trip to Malaysia; I was travelling alone and looking for a resort where I could spend two restful weeks. What I found was a place with an abundance of beauty, fauna and flora that is magnificent and people who gave me an unusually warm welcome. I never have encountered personnel who were so caring. Wishes were granted before you could even voice them.
I was checked into a spacious, well equipped chalet in the middle of the gardens, not too far from the reception. Therefore there was no need for transportation that is offered on a very frequent basis; but occasionally I would grab a ride simply because the friendly drivers would invite me. I did contemplate booking one of the chalets over water, but in the end was happy with the choice of deluxe room. I will agree with comments that bathrooms are getting dated but I will also attribute to inconsiderate guests rather than age. Nevertheless, both room and bathroom were spotless; linens and towels changed every day, fresh drinking water replenished. Some guests complained about animals in the room. These reviewers obviously did not understand that the resort is amidst the jungle and therefore there is wildlife. That makes it so charming. I really miss my daily “gecko alarm”. And not to forget the monkeys, who would occasionally occupy my verandah to show off. And the hornbills flying their rounds towards the evening. There is a nature specialist, who offers morning and evening walks. Unfortunately I missed his tours that are said to be very interesting. One can learn alot about fauna and flora.
Breakfast offers a choice for all tastes and even after two weeks was not boring. Although, as European craving for fresh tropical fruits I did not like the selection that was offered. The GM assured me in his feedback that issue had been remedied. In this conjunction I must say that in dealing with Mr. Rulli I found a highly professional, capable, and willing manager. Due to a little accident I had, there was the need to thank staff who had helped and I was totally baffled when he actually sent a reply. And it was not just one of those standard replies. He must have made time in his busy schedule to respond.
The Berjaya has 5 restaurants with various culinary delights such as Thai, Chinese (the steam boat comes highly praised), seafood, Japanese, Indian and some Italian favorites like pasta and pizza. My special preference was the Thai restaurant with its beautiful setting, views of spectacular sun downs and very good Thai food, which I claim to be expert in.
The pool is very nice although I preferred the beach. But for those who do not like getting sand and salt all over, there was enough room to swim; there were enough chairs to relax, umbrellas to hide from the very hot sun and an adequate supply of towels.
The beach is amazing. White sand with seashells, an occasional jelly fish though. Warm blue water – makes you feel as if you are lost in paradise. Not to mention the green rainforest one looks at while swimming. How comforting for the soul and computer strained eyes. Yet be careful when handling the heavy beach chairs, they can have a “mind” of their own.
If you had no chance to visit the spa you really missed something. Goodness was it great to have papaya cool down my sunburn. The setting is very tranquil, overlooks the mountains of Langkawi and the therapies offered there make sure you feel “whole” again. A day spent at the spa before you leave for your endless flights back home gives you tremendous energy to still feel refreshed upon arrival.
In my opinion the Berjaya is a rare gem. I would return at any time. Thanks and kudos to the complete team.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank MarianneVienna
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We've just come back from one week's honeymoon at Berjaya and I have to say it was amazing. We stayed in the PREMIERE CHALETS ON THE WATER which had all four piers in the ocean. Our room was spacious and immaculate with our own private balcony where we could lay out on beach chairs and watch the sunset.

We booked through a travel agent and told them to note it was our honeymoon. We arrived from an all night flight from Sydney four hours before checkin and were offered a complimentary drink as our room was not quite ready (well we were v. v. early!). We drank, strolled around for a bit and then had a bite to eat. The food was excellent, fast service and the staff very friendly and helpful. After an hour (and still an easy 2-3 hours before we were supposed to checkin), our room was ready and we took a shuttle out to our little chalet which was at the far end of the resort.

I can say in all honesty that the premiere chalets on water look exactly like the photographs on their website. These chalets were built in the past two years where as some of the cheaper jungle chalets were built up to 15 years ago. Ours was decked out with new furniture and a big plasma tv for us to watch. The bathroom was also spacious and the fittings were of really nice quality. The linens on the bed were also really soft and smelt lovely. There was also a big solar hot water system on each chalet's roof.

Because we told them it was our honeymoon they left us something everyday. The first day it was a cake saying "happy honeymoon". Then a bottle of wine, chocolates, flowers, treats etc. Every night after dinner we would come back to our room and find the turn down service had left fresh singapore orchids on the beds.

If I was to pitch the experience to someone, I would tell them of our second day.... In the morning we walked out of the chalet to go to breakfast. Most days a shuttle would be waiting nearby as the driver would stop there under the tree and wait for guests that were staying down the far end of the resort. He would drive us to the beach restaurant where it was peaceful and never seemed crowded. (Premiers on Water include brekkie at the nicer restaurant which sits on the beach - its kinda the difference between eating at mccafe or at the hilton). After a vast smorgasbord we would swim in the ocean, dry out on the beachchairs and then go for a quick dip in the pool. This would undoubtedly lead to swimming up to the bar and ordering a drink before walking back to our room, ocean on one side and jungle on the other. On the way I would pick Frangipanis up off the ground from under the frangipani trees that grew in the resort. In the evening, we walked along the pier and out to the Thai restaurant that sits right out in the ocean. Here we ate a gorgeous meal, drank cocktails and watched the sunset while a quartet of gentlemen serenaded off to the side (and yes... it really was like that).

Every day I would go and pick up new frangipanis and take them back to the room and put them in water in the bathroom. Some of the flowers that were starting to get a bit old would be taken out to deck where I would throw them into the ocean and watch them float away. I also noticed that somedays the housekeeping lady would arrange the flowers when she came to clean the room. :-)

We didn't always stay within the grounds of the resort, we went on the cable car which leads you to amazing views, and we wandered around the oriental village. This village is about 500m from the resort and we found a duty free shop in there that sold heaps of stuff including coke for $1.50RM and Tiger Beer for $1.80RM. In Australian dollars this equates to roughly 65c - 75c Australian (1 RM = 43c AU). We also hired a car which we drove around the entire island in a day exploring the city, the country, the sights, etc. This was cheap to hire and cheap to run around.

We were shocked when we got a "running tally" the day before we checked out. We had already been stung at another resort with the food bill so while we wanted to enjoy ourselves, we didn't want to over indulge too much. We need not have worried, less than half of our budget had been spent. For example, three very nice dinner dishes at the oriental pearl plus drinks plus entree totalled around $120RM. In Australian dollars this is AU$51.60 - for two adults who couldn't finish the meal as it was too big. So we treated ourselves to a deep tissue massage each at the spa chalet which was awesome (and so was the jacuzzi which is a huge slate lined bubbling pool which overlooks the jungle).

At the sunken pool bar a Tiger Beer is $12RM. This is AU$5.16 - I've paid more than this in Australia to drink a beer in a dive bar. Further the beer.... a Tiger from the mini bar in your room is $6RM... or you can go to the village I spoke about and pay $1.80RM.

Highly recommended is the "Uncle Buck" sandwich from the lobby bar. Prosciutto, cheese, garlic aoli and something else make it quite amazing, and its served in a warm and very lightly toasted roll. Its big enough to have as your lunch and is roughly $20RM (AU$8-9.00)

On the day we left our plane was not leaving till very late so we were able to extend our checkout to 2pm and they gave us a shower room so we could enjoy the resort's facilities until it was time to freshen up and then go. We thought this would be like an auxillary room somewhere off the main lobby area but it was actually a key to a chalet. The chalet was a superior room set high in the jungle. It was obviously due to be renovated as the furniture was old, the mattresses were kind of stacked on top of each other and there was a musty smell going on. I can see that anyone who would have had this type of accommodation, would not have had as much fun as we did.

I could go on and on about this place, but I do think the key here is to realise you will get what you paid for. We paid for the premiere on the water... better views/amenities/service/breakfast/etc. There were premiere chalets on land, but they sat literally behind the premieres on water chalets and some had obsured views. I think you'd probably be disappointed you didn't just spent that tiny bit more to have the whole package. Berjaya also has junior chalets which look like they have the same features of the premieres, but they look physically smaller and again you would have to eat breakfast at the cafe up the hill instead of the nicer place on the beach.

To sum up... this place is awesome, the facilities, the staff, the location are all great. BUT if you're going to make the effort to go here (especially if you're doing the eight hour flight from Sydney) I'd strongly recommend just paying that little bit more to stay in the Premiere Chalets ON THE WATER. Also go in the off season if you can. I'm not sure on when this starts and ends but it was off season in April, fewer guests around, and it was beautiful everyday. December is apparently very busy for them.

Try it.... Trust me you'll love it.

5  Thank missell80
Reviewed April 29, 2009

-First class service & very friendly staff.
-If your budget allows go for the premiere chalet upwards. We started in a deluxe chalet & had a problem with a leaking roof. The facilities in the deluxe rooms are fine, just a little old & dingy. We upgraded to the premiere chalet & were very happy to pay the difference in price for its facilities. They have amazing balconies with sea views, a very modern interior & the house keeping is just fantastic.
-the resort is located on a very large property. It is possible to walk from your room to the restaurants, pool & beach but after a while you tend to call on their shuttle bus which is a free & very efficient service. The shuttle service runs direct from your room (they arrive within about 2 minutes from the time you call) & take you anywhere in the resort.
-The restaurants at the resort have great settlings - espeically Pan-Thai Restaurant & the Beach restaurant. The quality of the food was disappointing but the breakfast buffet was good. Service was always excellent.
-They have a great happy hour at the pool bar where the boys whip up fantastic cocktails & have a cool band playing.
-For car/motorbike hire go to Mahamas located down the hall from the main lobby. We received good service, value for money & none of the hassles often encountered with car hire.
-Nice, clean beach & pool. There are ample water sports to choose from,
-There is not much in the main town Kuah except Mc Donoalds & duty free shops. However, you can do the same duty free shopping at the Oriental Village a 5-10 minute walk from the resort (or a free shuttle ride). Alcohol is cheap here. The cable cart also runs from the Oriental Village - definitely worth doing.

2  Thank JAV00
Reviewed April 27, 2009

this is a beautiful beach resort. There are separate cottages inbetween dense greenery and alongisde a quite beach. good hospitality, great mix of natural beauty and comfort stay

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank basharma
Reviewed April 26, 2009

if u wana see a huge property come to berjaya langkawi..theres no way u can make it from one place to another widout their buggy...u have the option of sea view rooms...but even the regular rooms r lovely n u r rite in the middle of the rainforest...the restaurants r great..the japanese is to die for...also u have close by the cable car which is a must do on the trip..u cud hire a car n go around the island..also visit the harbour whch has diff restaurants n that gives u a variety of cuisine to choose from....n u get to look at great boats..

• Stayed: March 2008