“Amazing”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #14 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Beautiful resort, amazing surroundings. If you are going to Langkawi, I recommend staying here. You get so much more than just a "normal" resort. The rainforest around is truly beautiful and very exciting. We saw a lot of wildlife. The service was really good, beach perfect and the restaurants were all really really good. You have to eat at Pahn Thai, magnificent food! Paying for breakfast is well worth it! We stayed at a rainforest chalet, which was perfect. We asked for a room near the reception og got it (smart tip, because the resort is large and you don't have to wait for shuttlebusses all the time) :) Ask for 4104 ;) We were lucky and got a free oceanview aswell :) We loved everything about the resort :)

Room Tip: 4104 near the reception.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelenaSvendsen
Write a ReviewReviews (5,059)

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We came with much expectation for a 4 night relaxation on our trip back to Australia after a trip to yhe UK. We arrived about an hour early and aflter check in we waited for our room in the sports bar with a complimentary glass of juice. We then got shuttled to our room. This buggy service is excellent and could not be faulted. We were after sleep as our 18 hours flights/transit had taken it's toll. We walked into our Premier Chalet with sea view and the Wow factor set in. Huge room, huge bathroom, huge bed. So far so good.
We were in a group of 4 chalets with 2 upper and 2 lower rooms. We were on yhe lower level. There seemed to be plenty of rooms around which were single cabin style which would not have had the issues we did. Just as we drew the curtain, we started to hear noises. The room next door was getting cleaned. Every noise made sounded like it was in our room. The walls are paper thin. Another time we had people above who kept us awake late into the night. Another night the room next to us had guests arrive about midnight and it sounded like a herd of elephants. The next morning we were woken at 6.30am by their mobile phone alarm clock. Even the vibrations from the phone vibrated the wall. They didn't wake and it kept going off every 5 minutes for an hour. Also the basin and bath plugs did not operate properly. But the wow factor of the room was still there.
The resort is in a lovely spot, and the beach is also very good. We travelled to the popular hotel areas and were always happy to return to our out of the way location. We booked the LOVE AND CHERISH package which was 770RM per night. We got dinner for 2 in both the Buffet and Thai restraunts, free breakfast in the Beach Restaurant each morning. Also a spa treatment each and a mangrove tour.
The Thai restraunt is amazing. The girl running the place made our night even more special. A night we will never forget. Possibly the best Thai food I have eaten.
The Buffet was good.
The Chinese restraunt was disappointing, overpriced and just not that good.
Beach Restraunt for breakfast was 10/10. We chose to eat in tne buffet one morning but it wasn't as good.
Wireless internet?. Just terrible.

On the whole pretty good , just not great. If they fixed the noise problems I would have given 4 or 4.5.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mates69
ChrisNBLR, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Thank you very much for giving us a review after your recent stay.
It is with such invaluable feedback from esteemed guests such as yourself that gives us the opportunity in gauging where we stand with our product and service delivery.

We are glad to hear that your overall stay was a rather pleasant one except for the minor inconveniences experienced with regards to the noisy "neighbours" and the meal quality at Oriental Pearl.
I have since addressed the menu quality with the Chinese Chef concerned and we will continue with food tasting sessions to ensure that we maintain the standards in there.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if your future travel plans brings you back to Langkawi. We look forward ot having you stay with us again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

After searching online and reading multiple reviews, my husband and I decided to go to Berjaya Langkawi for a weekend trip on 7th Sept. After spending some time at the cafe we decided to go for a walk at the beach. As I was walking down from the way towards the beach I noticed the floor right after the steps looked yellowish and slippery. I carefully placed my foot but unfortunately I slipped and felt. I scratched my arm and it started to bled. My whole body tensed and started aching as I was trying to break a hard fall. I went to the front desk asking to speak to the manager as I wanted to report this so no one else will experience this. The front desk lady went to the back office and after few minutes she said the manager is about to go for his dinner. After showing my wound she went back again and few minutes later the manager came. He was obviously not happy being called and with unpleasant look he asked what was the problem. After taking notes he just looked me without any reaction. No apologies or 'are you ok miss' question. It's like my problem is not his. I asked for any massage service as my whole right part of the body was tensed. He rudely told me that there is no such services and if I wanted I should go to nearby clinic and get medical cert... I was shocked and appalled by his response. However the front desk lady quickly gave me some ointnent and bandages for the wound. My supposedly relaxed trip was turned painful both physically emotionally. I guess this place is ok as long nothing happen but pray really hard not to get injured in the hotel vacinity as they will make it worst by their nonchalant attitude!!

2  Thank srinda n

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort.

Firstly, thank you very much for giving us a review after your recent stay.
Please allow me to personally apologise on behalf of the Front Desk team who attended to you when you approached the reception after your fall. I do hope that it was nothing very serious and that you have fully recovered.

Nevertheless, it was most definitely not the reception that is acceptable or expected from our staff.
I have since addressed this with the Duty Manager concerned and also reiterated to the rest of the team, the importance of ensuring that our guest satisfaction and comfort is upkept as our utmost priority. They have assured me that this will not be repeated.

Once again, we do apologise for the inconveniences experienced and do hope that you will allow us the opportunity in demonstrating that we are truly capable of more.
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything.

In the meantime, we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here after a few days in Kuala Lumpur. It was the perfect resort after the caotic city of KL. This is a great place to relax and perfect for honeymooners like us.

The room (rainforest chalet) was great, clean and modern. We got luky that we stayed near the loby (2min walk) but if you stay in a chalet far from it, you can call the shuttle (it works 24h a day). You have to be careful about the animals around the room, specially the brown monkeys that can try to steal your stuff (avoid the plastic bags), but if you have some atention it's no need to be scared. That is actually the beauty of this place. You are in the middle of the rainforest. It is very easy to watch some wildlife like monkeys, limas, flying squirls, geccos, tucanos, etc. Just pay atentions to the trees, something is always hapening.

The worst thing about the hotel was the beach. The sand and the facilities are great, but we were expecting some clean transparent water but instead we got a dark and sometimes poluted water. I don't if all the resorts have beaches like this, but to find a magazine like beach you have to go to a distant and deserted beach. You can try the island hopping tour - they leave in a paradise beach where you can do snorkeling or just relax and enjoy the view.

The restaurants are great. We tried almost everyone and the best has got to be the Thai due to the place but also the food. We also loved the japanese located the the village. Don't be afraid of the fancyness of the restaurants, everything is cheap if you are an wetern tourist. We never payed more than 150RM for the both of us (35€).

Resuming: Altough the beach is a little disappointing, the rest make it worthable.

2  Thank JP_Berlin
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights , great hotel , had a cabin in the jungle which was clean and well maintained . There are little vans to take you to and from your accommodation which was very efficient.However the air conditioning was very noisy , we did report it and an engineer came to inspect and clean it but this did not improve , so sleep was disturbed , (it was way too hot not to have it on! )
It was fascinating watching the monkeys around our balcony and we saw lots of wildlife.
The food was fantastic , we were full board and were very impressed by quality and service.
I have rated this hotel excellent. Which it certainly was , but will say that the sea is dirty .
We went to the oriental village , rode the cable car and climbed the 600 steps up to seven wells waterfall which were great.

1  Thank salamUk
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Arriving at Berjaya Langkawi Resort:
Check-in is not very welcoming. A bit like arriving at a camp. Orders, directions and a "mountain" of vouchers/coupons issued. At one point we were even issued a "Confirmation Voucher" voucher! A cash deposit is required as a security? What?? What ever happened to a credit card guarantee? The welcome drink? Strictly 9 to 5, fruit punch only and get it yourself!  What a welcome... This is a hotel ethic that disappeared 10 years ago in many other places.

First impressions are important!

Berjaya Langkawi Resort:
The resort setting is beautiful. The rooms are good. But the resort is vast! Want to go for a quick swim? It might take 15 minutes just to get to the pool or beach! And another 15 minutes to get back.

There is a buggy service that you need to learn to use. It does work but it's slow at times.

Restaurants:
Restaurant service is spotty.  At the small Thai restaurant it's only about 16 tables, mostly couples - so almost more staff than customers. It's a beautiful setting - amazing in fact - but slow service. And expensive too! I waited 1.5 hours for even the second dish to be served before I gave up and went back to my room (there were a couple of other issues too). I called the duty manager? Sorry  - he's at dinner!!  Other parts of the resort work better. Breakfast at the Beach Restaurant was a very nice experience. The Chinese restaurant is pleasant and relaxing while the main buffet restaurant is typically huge and has a different theme each night.

Rooms:
Rooms are nice. Beds, bathroom, TV all fine. A few of our lights didn't work. Our Premier Chalet had a large terrace with beautiful sea views. They are in a building of 4, 2 up- 2 down, with adjoining doors. We noted that other guests found this to be noisy - but ours was mostly fine. Wifi Internet is very poor. The wifi is so slow that some applications are impossible to use. I only managed 0.08 Mb/s. And it timed-out all the time. Guests get a complicated username and password that can need a lot of re-log-ins. Apparently this will be improved soon. It sure needs to be.  There is no newspaper delivered to the rooms.

Happy Hour:
From 5pm to 7pm there is a 20% reduction on drinks. Hardly worth bothering with.

Oriental Village:
This is beside the resort. You can even catch a buggy there. There are some shops and eateries. Langkawi is duty free so wines, spirits and beer can be purchased here very cheaply. It's also where the cable car terminus is located.

Summary:
This is a vast resort that has more positives than negatives. It could be much better if brought more up to date.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Austman_1

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Berjaya Langkawi Resort !.

Thank you veyr much for the review after your recent stay with us.
On behalf of my team and I, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced, especially for the inappropriate responses by our frontline staff, when you were with us. On this occassion, we have definitely fallen short of expectations.

This is by no means the usual standards we are capable of and you have my personal assurance that I will address all your comments with my team to ensure that we make the necessary improvements. Our guest comfort and satisfaction is and will always be our utmost priority.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can assist with anything else. We do look forward to be able to serve you again.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed here for six nights in a family room which was two adjoining rooms. Plenty if room for the entire family 2+2. The location in the forest and abundant wildlife was relaxing for the adults and thrilling for the kids. Recommend hiring a car at the airport if here for any period of time.

• Stayed: September 2013