“Good location. But not so good service by the front desk”

Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
“Good location. But not so good service by the front desk”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Bad service by the Filipinos at the front desk. They can't speak proper English and I had great difficulty in understanding them. Otherwise, a good resort. Stayed in the Rainforest Chalet. Clean rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank WhiteStallion77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great beach resort, with everything you could think of. The pool area is gorgeous and the beach even better. We had a go on the jetskis and everything was very well run. They have a shuttle service that picks you up from your chalet straight away and drives you to the reception.
The buffet breakfast was plentiful and well run. We did eat in a couple of the restaurants which were ok.
The rooms were clean and everything you needed was supplied.
I've only given a very good rating for this resort rather than an excellent because of our noisy neighbours. I'd booked into a partial seaview chalet (and it was very partial) We were put into a block of 4 flats, which apparently we'd been upgraded to.
The walls were very thin, therefore I've only given a very good rating for this resort rather than an excellent because of our noisy neighbours, who were screeching on the phone from 3 oclock in the morning, we could also hear the person on the other end of the phone!
The staff did look to see if they could move us but unfortunately there wasn't anywhere else available. A bang on the wall from me and a complaint from the people above us meant a talking from the security staff on the second night and it seemed to quiet them down anyway.
Overall and well run resort

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked 2 weeks here in the Berjaya Resort. My Budget allowed me to book "only" a forest Chalet. When I arrived, unfortunately the bathroom was not clean and some other places also. I went to the front desk - it was 9 pm - and to my great pleasure, the people there where very helpful. They offered me to change the Chalet and I accepted it. I expected the same category of Chalet I had booked. But to my big surprise, they offered me a Chalet with seaview, very, very, very nice Location, not too far from the Restaurants (in the night it's more comfortable). So, I enjoyed two week luxury instead of "average" - WOW! My opinion: If I had to stay in the forest Chalet... well, I would have been a Little bit disappointed. But because I enjoyed a Chalet I never expected...well, I cannot complain about anything. So my advice: spend a Little bit more Money an choose a Chalet with seaview - it's worth of it!

Room Tip: I had Chalet no. 1207 - it's absolutely great, really!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cornelia L
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just spent one night at the Berjaya amongst other hotels in Langkawi - Overall we really enjoyed our stay and the resort is very unique. We really enjoyed the novelty of staying in the rainforest and seeing all the wildlife around us, and also enjoyed the morning nature walk with our helpful and knowledgable guide. The resort facilities were also really nice, great views and nice pools. We had a lovely meal at the Thai restaurant which is on a jetty over the sea and underneath is all lit up so you can watch barracuda and other fish swimming around below!

Having said all of that the resort is huuuge and all of the accommodation is so far from the main complex of pools and restaurants, this means that noisy minivan type vehicles ferry guests to and from their chalets all day and evening. The vehicles themselves chuck out loads of exhaust smoke as they chug up the hills to the chalets and you can't help but think it would be better to find a more environmentally friendly way to do this seeing as so much rainforest had to be cleared to actually build the resort!

Still a small gripe considering how much we enjoyed staying here and we chose to walk to the pool/restaurant rather than use the bus which also meant we saw more wildlife!

Overall defiantly worth staying here!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

11 days spent in this resort. Experience is as follows:

Check in: slow and cumbersome though we arrived between 1-2pm which was likely busy with check out also. Felt 'processed' rather than welcomed.

Room (rainforest chalet) is average size. Missed not having a bathrobe. Toiletries are rather bland. Comfortable bed. Aircon didn't always work. Nice location in middle of nature. We found shuttle bus service very efficient and never had to wait.
Very lacking in 'in room' info on resort facilities - map would be helpful and attractions in local area. Newly Renovated spa - quite expensive and poorly signposted/promoted. A sign at spa mentioned re-opening 'special offers/discounts' but couldn't see what these offers were anywhere.

Lobby / main bar / main restaurant are all very open plan with high ceilings thus fans not so efficient if you are particularly keen on staying cool - this could be a discomfort.

Facilities: good but overall I felt they needed a good deep clean eg pool bar, lobby toilets.

Beach; lovely, quiet / peaceful. Comfy sun loungers. Towels often threadbare though.
Best sunsets are to be enjoyed in cenang - inexpensive taxi ride away.

Staff/service : highly inconsistent and mostly poor I am sorry to say. Not looking for a Ritz Carlton standard but basic service is lacking. Again I felt staff tended more towards 'processing' your order than recognising that this is your holiday and a proactive attitude towards serving your customer is expected / appreciated. Bar service in lobby is atrocious. At beach cafe we were halfway through eating starter when main course was served up. constantly had to wave to staff for attention/ another drink. In lobby bar I saw a table of 6 politely waving at counter (4 staff on duty - not a busy evening) to attract attention. Eventually they left. I saw several examples of poor service and lost revenue making opportunities over the 11 days.

Some staff were very good. Accommodation staff are very friendly. Car hire ladies also. But overall there is a distinct lack of management presence.

I'd grade this as a satisfying 3 star hotel but with potential to do much better. I've certainly stayed (in Langkawi) and other comparable resorts and enjoyed far greater service and value, leaving a more memorable experience. It was fine but aside from its lovely hillside location in the midst of nature - it was really quite unremarkable.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank pita1969
KL
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort. We booked the chalet under time share membership. This was our second family visit to the resort. The stay previous year was let down by the renovation work in the hotel, and we did suffered the 4 days without air conditional and heated water. We pity the technician spent lots of time sweating to solve the problem, but no luck.

This time, we are here again as we love this place, the resort and the beach. After communicating with the GM, we were very happy to received by a Japanese manageress. She was very helpful, and also allow us to upgrade to a sea-view resort. In the evening, we were surprised to receive a small cake, written "welcome back".

The service has always been very good. The shuttle between rooms to lobby is on call basis, will usually arrive within minutes. The driver will also help in moving some luggage to the chalet. To be fair, we always carry our luggage as we can. However we also seen some very demanding ppl having many big luggage bags, and two empty hands waiting the driver to deliver all the big bags, and until the last small piece of handbag. Perhaps the shuttle vehicle should also change to clean energy, to avoid the exhaust in such an beautiful resort.

This is definitely the best resort I have stayed in so far. Amenities are good, no problem with any kind of service, perhaps if the water sport can start earlier in the morning will be better. All the activities under the same roof can be billed to the room, so we can enjoy outing in the pool and sea without any worry. We definitely will come back again, hope to see more progress and improvement.I would highly recommend this hotel, especially to couples. And book early for discount of up to 30%.

Room Tip: Sea-view chalet is excellent, but rainforest can be nice too. Please do not feed monkeys and wild an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Berjaya is in a brilliant spot on Pulau Langkawi, and is really a township in itself - there's something like 500 rooms here and it takes up a huge corner of the island. There's a private beach, nice pool, four restaurants, bars etc - all the stuff you'd expect from a big resort, but you certainly wouldn't book here if you were expecting a boutique experience. A bus service shuttles people around the resort - a nice alternative if you get tired of walking in the humidity - most of the rooms are a reasonable distance from the restaurants/pools/beach. Rooms wise, we booked an ocean-view studio, but when we arrived in our room, the 'ocean view' was actually a severely obstructed glimpse of the water, through the rainforest (we were probably 150 or so metres from the water). To Berjaya's credit, when we complained about this, we were moved to a room with an actual view of the water - I'm not sure how many rooms would be incorrectly labelled like this, but it's worth asking upon booking. The only downside to our very clean and comfortable new room was the fact it shared an adjoining door with the room next door - and soundproofing clearly is not a concept Berjaya put much consideration into. A young family were staying next door, and general conversations they were having were clearly audible, let alone the children's occasional crying/yelling that kept us awake/woke us up several times. The one huge win for this resort is its brand-new day spa (it actually opened whilst we were there). It's not cheap, but the facilities and service were top-notch. Overall, we did enjoy our stay, and were generally pleased with the service we received. Would I stay here again? Maybe, but I'd probably try one of Langkawi's other resorts first - whilst I was far from unpleased, I wasn't 'wowed' by my stay either.

Room Tip: Make sure that if you want an 'ocean view' you stipulate this when booking - the nature of t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple