“Nice place, good view” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Sydney
“Nice place, good view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

The hotel room is nice and clean. Shuttle bus service is excellent. You can take hotel shuttle bus to orient village for free instead of paying 6MYR taxi fee. The hotel restaurant is quite expensive and taste bad. Not recommend at all.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Fareham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

If you are planning a trip to Langkawi for the nature this is the resort to chose. The wildlife roaming through the resort which stretches back from the shoreline up the hill into the jungle is remarkable. From 2 types of monkeys, monitor lizards, 2 types of hornbill to name just a few.

The staff are all very friendly and helpful, always willing to help. Due to the chalets being spreadout over a wide area they offer a free shuttle which proved to be very efficient although I would recommend walking to make sure you make the most of the beautifully nature and wildlife.

The restaurants and bars all served a good range of food and drink which was a a good standard if a little pricey due to the Uk exchange rate.

Coming early October meant it was not to busy and the pool area not to crowded.

We had a premier chalet with a sea view. The room and bathroom were a good size and always well cleaned and looked after to a very high standard.

My only negative comment would be the air con was a little noisy but that is due to the type used rather than it being defective.

I could go on but you get the drift, I highly recommend this resort for a stay in Langkawi but if I cannot get a room next time as you have all booked it out I will be somewhat disappointed

Room Tip: The Premier rooms with a sea view are worth the extra.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve954
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of a wedding reception. Have to say that I was impressed as I walked in; Large, open lobby with a nice band playing and the check-in was smooth. We were transferred to our nearby partial sea-view chalet which was very suitable for 2 people. I loved the isolated rainforest feeling, and enjoyed the resorts facilities. We kayaked, rented a jet-ski, swam, and used the pool. We were very lucky that our chalet was close to the main resort as the area is huge and would be a bit annoying to have to call a shuttle every time you want to go to the pool or the restaurants. My only comments about the room were the air conditioner which blew directly on the bed and was uncomfortable, and there was no bathtub. The rest was nice and I liked our balcony where we could see the ocean.

My disappointments lie in the service, especially restaurants. Arriving at breakfast all 3 mornings, we were told we couldn't enter as we didn't have our breakfast vouchers (which we were never given). Each time, I gave our room number and finally they allowed us in after much chat amongst themselves. We later went to lunch at the Beach Restaurant. I ordered a hamburger with mustard and was told by the waiter they had run out of mustard. I repeated to ensure he understood what was mustard. He nodded assuring me there was no mustard available in the hotel. Of course, I was supicious and asked a second waitress who promptly brought me a saucer full of mustard. Housekeeping did not arrive to our room until after 3:00pm, though we had hung our sign on the door since we went to breakfast at 8:30am. Finally, we went to dinner in a group at the Thai Restaurant on our final night. The meal was good, however, upon ordering wine, we tried to order 3 different types however none of them were stocked at the restaurant and they had to drive back to the main restaurant to get it. This took well over 20 minutes. We appreciated the gesture, however upon returning, it was still not the correct wine. Finally, at the end of the meal, we wished to split the bill amongst 4 rooms. This was met by hesitation but finally, the bill was taken away. 30 minutes later, we received the new bill which was still not exactly split, but after 30 minutes of waiting, we just wanted to leave. I have to say that in these encounters, the most disappointing was that there was no apology, no smile, no recovery... just a simple shrug of the shoulders and moving on to the next guest.

Overall, the resort is beautiful. It's a great venue, very secluded, unique, and fun... but in terms of detailed service and sincere smiles, it is certainly lacking.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the main resort!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SRG2215
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I just got back from Langkawi where I attended a wedding with my family. The wedding ceremony and reception was held at Berjaya Langkawi Resort and as I was traveling with 2 young children (2.5 years old and 6 months old), I decided to stay at Berjaya for convenience.

Berjaya Langkawi certainly doesn't market itself as a family resort, so I wanted to write this review for people who are traveling with kids. The resort itself is beautiful and lush. The resort is massive and guests will require shuttle van to get around, anywhere. As I was traveling with young children, I requested for a room that was closest to the lobby and pool area. Having this was probably the highlight of the trip as it made our lives so much more convenient as we didn't have to drag the kids and pram up and down the shuttle van all the time.

For the record, we booked 2 inter-connecting Rainforest Chalets.

Firstly, I want to list down the things I liked about the resort:
- Resort was beautiful and spacious. Gorgeous views and great beach
- Thai restaurant is superb. Must try.
- The Beach Restaurant has a nice ambience
- There was a tiny children's playground behind the pool
- Affordable - We managed to get a group rate because we were attending a wedding there. Prices at the restaurants was also very good.

Not Child-Friendly
- Restaurants don't have plastic cutlery or small cutlery for children
- The kids menu is pretty much the same in ALL its dining outlets
- On the reverse side of the kids menu is a coloring sheet, but no color pencils or crayons are provided
- There is a small shallow pool (30cm depth) that is great for babies, but not so great for toddlers
- There is a jacuzzi pool (78cm depth) which is great for toddlers, but bad design. Huge rock in the centre of the pool that the kids just want to climb on all the time. The seats in the jacuzzi pool are made with tiny pebbles which are so uncomfortable to sit on.
- Our rooms didn't have a bath tub and they didn't have a small plastic baby bath tub that I could bath the baby in. I ended up bathing the baby in the sink, which was very awkward.

Poor service
- Housekeeping had not been to our room by 3pm. We had the "Please Make Up Our Room" sign hanging on our door since 8.30am. We rang housekeeping and they only showed up more than an hour later
- Poor room service. We ordered some coffee and a bucket of ice at about 9.30pm. The coffee showed up within 20 mins and the service staff said that he forgot about the ice-bucket and would come back to us. We forgot all about it and went to bed. The service staff came knocking on our door at midnight to bring us the ice-bucket. That was 2hrs later!!!!
- On the rare occasion that we had to take the shuttle van, none of the drivers offered to help us load our pram onto the van. They just looked at us impatiently as we struggled with boarding the van with a toddler and baby. I took a taxi at the Oriental Village back to the resort and I got better service from the taxi-driver!

Other Comments
- Each guest is given a wi-fi user id and password. There is a 'Remember Me' option on the login page, but it doesn't work and we had to re-enter it constantly which was a huge pain
- We wanted to go snorkeling but there wasn't any snorkeling gear for rent. You can easily get them at the gift shop, but I just thought this was something most beach hotels offered.
- The resort is huge and you had to rely on the shuttles to get anywhere. The shuttle service is fine if you wanted to get from lobby to room, or room to lobby. If you wanted to get from room to room or room to restaurant, be prepared to wait.
- Dangerous beach. It was low tide and my husband wanted to go swimming in the sea. As he was walking in, he cut his leg on what must have been huge rock that was protruding out. He suffered a bad gash on his leg and a severely bruised toe. As he got out, we met another guest who said that she hit that same rock the day before. This must be a common occurrence and I think the hotel should really do something about it. Perhaps place some flags close to the rock to warn guests to keep away during low tide.

Room Tip: If staying with kids, request for rooms that are closer to the lobby, pool area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lulub81
Noel V, General Manager at Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Your many valuable comments are highly appreciated. Thank you for highlighting the areas where our service was a letdown and for the many suggestions for improvements. I have taken up the issues you have mentioned to my management team for immediate improvement. I would just like to add that concerning the baby bathtub, we do have it available on request. Since this was not known to you and presumably other guests, the resort management has decided from now on to provide it as a standard setup for all guests travelling with infants. As regards, the protruding rock on the beach during low tide, we are deeply sorry for the injury suffered by your husband. Thank you for your suggestion and we will start to place some markers at the area as a warning to guests walking on the beach.
With my best regards,
Noel Vendawall
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent two nights on our honeymoon here and it was just divine. All staff are so friendly and helpful, it was sad when we had to leave! We just loved the water front chalet and hearing the waves underneath us. We ate at the Thai restaurant and also the Chinese and both were delicious. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had our honeymoon stay at berjaya during first week of april and it was very good. The staff was very gentle and warm. We were welcomed with a very good chocolate cake in our room as it was our honeymoon. The room was very clean. The shuttle service was very enjoyable and prompt.
Do visit the thai restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank karan1981
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently spent a wonderful weekend at the Berjaya in one of the stand alone rainforest chalets. The room was spacious and clean with a nice balcony and comfortable bed. I understand that these chalets have recently been renovated. The AC worked well but wifi required re-entering the username and password every 20 minutes.

As far as the facilities, the beach was clean and not too crowded. In fact, there were less than ten people on the beach in the mornings. The beach chairs and cushions could have been better maintained but this was a very small flaw. When you are on the beach and looking back at the resort and rainforest you cannot easily see the chalets so the area looks very natural. I didn't use the pools but they looked very nice. I highly recommend the Thai restaurant for the view and service, even if not staying a the resort. There were a number of resort activities, many of which required an extra fee but a few were free (ex: nature walk, mangrove walk) . Parking was free as well.

The location was very convenient to the cable car, which i think is one of the top attractions. It's about a 20 minute drive to the airport. There was also a convenience store, gas station, and a few restaurants (Perdona Quay) about 10 minutes away. The location was fine as we had a rental car but I don't know how easy it is to get around without a car.

The only notable disadvantage to this resort was the shuttle service. The resort is large so you mostly get around it by shuttle bus which picks up upon request. The wait time ranged from five to 25 minutes. This was only a problem when we had reservations somewhere that we were late for because of the wait and need to transfer shuttles. The reliance on shuttles also prevents you from easily going back to your room. It might help if there were scheduled shuttle pickup times as well. Walking around the resort is an option but would be much easier if there were sidewalks and better lighting on the paths.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple