“Sheraton partial seaview fantastic stay, great excercise”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #70 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Perth, Australia
“Sheraton partial seaview fantastic stay, great excercise”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

A really great resort, we stayed in the partial seaview room. Two double beds in the room, we simply moved the centre table at night and shifted both beds together to form a big bed, this worked better as to stop the kids rolling out of the bed. Its true the rooms are a little run down but we found them great to stay in and they didn't offend me at all.
The setting is stunning, you really feel like your in a tropical jungle with a beutiful seaview.
There are shuttle cars running around all the time which have to be picked up from the lobby or phone for from your room but if your impatient the walk from most rooms seems to be downhill to the pool and breakfast but unfortunately is uphill to go back to the room, so after your swim, you end up in a sweat once you get back to the room.
The breakfast was nice for the first few day's but didn't really change enough for my liking, considering the price we paid, we stayed eight nights.
The pool area is compact but refreshing, the beach was warmer to swim in but murky and stoney, the rocks were around it were slippery and full of sharp shells attached, so not much good for climbing on.
There really isn't any restaurants outside the hotel to walk too, so we rented a car at the airport, we organised its delivery the next day, we paid 90RM a day, the cost of a van to the hotel was approx 20RM via a voucher system on arrival, much cheaper than organising a transfer beforehand.
There is a petrol station, ATM and convience store about 8 minutes drive from the hotel, thats the main one we used, most cars have very little petrol in them, so will have to fill up straight away.
As for staff in the hotel, I would have to agree the majority of staff aren't sincere in there service, a select few are, majority are really not intertested in you, which is just how I like it personally speaking.
All in all I would definetly go back to Langkawi again, and Sheraton would still be on my list to stay at

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Dear Philipstravels,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review about our resort. Your kind words will further motivate them to strive even better in providing excellent services.

We are glad that you enjoyed your previous stay at our resort and the services provided by our attentive associates. I hope that you brought home fond memories you could share with your family and friends back home.

I will take note on the buffet breakfast menu so that the F&B team can improve on the choices in the spread.

Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kumar Renoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We had our wedding ceremony and reception on the 18th of December 2010 for 150 guest at the Sheraton Langkawi. We also had a traditional Chinese tea ceremony at the Restaurant in the hotel in the afternoon.

Can I just say, the staff went above and beyond all expectations, to make the day absolutely PERFECT for us and our guest. (Even though,there was another wedding on the same day)

We both had such an amazing day despite the rain, that moved our dinner indoors. Even the rain could not dampen the atmosphere at the wedding. Nothing was too big of a trouble for all the staff. They were always on-hand to help with everything we needed, even things that were not in their job scope.

We had our ring exchange ceremony right on the beach and our reception in the ballroom. The areas were decorated with an island touch but remained classy and pretty.

The team of people that helped with our event was professional and very helpful. They helped us source everything we needed for the hotel. We live in Melbourne and even coordination and planning of the wedding from Melbourne was made relatively easy with the help of Norshidah, the Sales Director.

I can go on and on about what an amazing day we had at the Sheraton Langkawi but I will let some of the pictures do the talking.

This place is definitely recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Dear LyL01,

We are really glad that we have made your wedding day a day to remember. We appreciate your kinds words about our helpful and attentive associates. I hope that you brought home fond memories you could share with your family and friends back home.

Again thanks for your positive comments and for sharing the photos. Congratulations and wishing you a marriage filled with bliss and love.

Klang
Reviewed January 21, 2011

its a nice hotel n a good service that the hotel provide to me as a guest....
the satff said they wan give a service to a guest like u r part af thier family..
its good...an everything going soomth.....even my wife also extra happy...

conslusion:....excited to go to that hotel again...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Azraeil,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review about Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. Your kind words will further motivate our associates to strive even better in providing excellent services.

We are glad that you felt very much at home during your honeymoon here. I hope that you brought home fond memories you could share with your friends and family.

We are certainly looking forward to see you again in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Sheraton is well-positoned - it's only 10 minutes' drive from the airport and 15 minutes to Pantai Cenang. The Langkawi Cable Car and Telaga Tujuh waterfall is also a convenient 15-minute drive away.

Our room overlooked the bay and the amazing thing is seeing hornbills throughout my stay. There were monkeys too but they were not a nuisance. Expect to do a lot of walking around the resort because it consists of chalets scattered over the property (and a very hilly property it is too).

The rooms do need to be refurbished - the wooden floor of our room need a new coat of shellac and the patio and closet doors need fixing/replacing. There were no problems with basic amenities e.g. electric kettle, hot water, tea & coffee, towels. However, checking in took a long time - apparently because our stay coincided with that of a large party.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Dear aishahnur,

Thanks for taking time to write a review about Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, and thank you for choosing our resort as your stay during your last trip.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and yes, wildlife such as hornbills, monkeys and flying lemurs are commonly seen around the property. You're certainly lucky to have seen them.

Just so you know, we are putting efforts to making our resort into a better place to live and doing some improvements on the guest rooms.

Hong Kong
Reviewed January 19, 2011

Sheraton is a large chain and naturally I have some expectation for my 4-night stay. But so many things let me down. In no particular order, here is the list-

1. We requested a DVD player weeks ago, reminded them again during check-in, and the guy assured us that "i am sure it will be in ur room already". But of course, the player was not there. When I call to request one, they claimed that they might not be able to arrange one for me! Gosh, I made the request WEEKS ago already! It was not until I semi-scolded them that they finally got us one.

2. Feast buffet restaurant- We had dinner and breakfast there. The food itself was good but the service was bad. Breakfast was literally like a battlefield, one minute u go to get ur food, the next minute someone else were somehow seated at ur table. No one cleans up the utensils, and chances are if the last guests put thier cutlery nicely and the waiters fail to notice that they have been used, YOU WILL EAT WITH THEIR FORKS AND KNIFES. We experieneced that. A waitress called something Ahmed had really bad attitude, almost had a teacher-to-pupil manner to guests.

3. Rooms need maintainence. The wood furnishings gave us a warm feeling but it needs polishing badly. There were cracks here and there. Bathrooms has some stains in the corner- I guess it was unavoidable as the resort is of some age. Also, holes made by cigarettes were found in the blankets.

4. ELECTRICITY WENT OUT for 20 mins without anyone coming to help. We were forced to stay in a room with losing air-con and thus became quite stuffy. When a guy finally came over to fix the problem, it went out again. The situation went on and off for like four times. We were extremely annoyed.

5. Housekeeping- one day they forgot to give us a floor towel and the other day they forgot to clear the rubbish bin.

6. This is not exactly a downside but adds to my bad experience- the limited choice of restaurants. As a remotely-located resort, it is impossible to have just three restaurants (spicy food, buffet and fine-dining grill). Long-staying guests are forced to paid RM24 for a taxi down to Pantai Cenang for a change. This is not to say the Captain's Grill was bad- it was ok, but was quite expensive too.

Enough said. A five-star resort should not offer guests experience as such. I paid over RM600 a night for the room, but I do not think I got what I deserved. Even though staff were generally polite and behave under the standard Starwood formula, it fail to convince me that the resort is worth anything more than a rating of "terrible".

My impression on Langkawi has been tainted by choosing this resort! Regret it so much!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank guneingdoe
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Dear guneingdoe,

Thanks for taking your time to write a review about Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort, and thank you for choosing our resort as your stay during your last trip.

I have reviewed your comments regarding your experience during your stay with us. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our associates, so we may resolve any and all issues.

I do apologize for the unavailability of the DVD player you requested prior to your arrival, and the unsatisfactory dining experience at Feast. It is also unacceptable that the rubbish bins were left uncleared and the bathroom was not cleaned properly.

There are a few things that we are putting efforts into turning our resort a better place to live, and one of the things is the shower head, which will be changed into rainforest shower head.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 15, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed in Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort for 3 Nights during our 1 week holiday in Langkawi, I have to say the staff are all really very friendly, from the bellboy to the reception, the housekeeping to the shuttle driver, the house keeping and the restaurant staff, all of them were greet you and have a great chat with you;))))
As we were celebrating our annivsary together, I called Sheraton Langkawi to arrange for roses, wine and cakes and all were done without any problems! We were welcome by a really friendly staff at the reception and he was polite, providing us with information of the Hotel facilities and restaurant;) As my credit card wasnt ready when we went to Langkawi, I was inform politely by the staff that its best for me to pay by cash for the deposit as I might have some problems getting back my money if its charge to my debit card, now thats what I call service!!!;)) Everything was done swiftly and neatly!;)
Hotel- Sheraton Langkawi is quite big, spread over a big area so they provide shuttle service around the resort if you dont want to walk, luckily for us our SeaFront room wasnt that far from the Lobby so we didnt use the shuttle much;) The bad thing about the shuttle is, well they are powered by diesel engine...so its very noisy and smelly;/ Im not sure whether is this the Hotel fault or because its the dry season, theres really alot of flies even in our room, my guess is those flies get in during housekeeping and through all the small hole from the balcony door.;/
Location- Nothing interesting within walking distance unless you are interested to take some pictures of local lifestyle, 2 chinese seafood restaurant within walking distance but its very dangerous as theres no pavement so its best to call them and fetch you to their place as they provide free transport;) Taxi to cable car,Oriental Village cost around 18-20RM and 14-16RM to Telaga Harbour;)
Service- Service is really good!! Every staff were smile at you and greet you!! I called an Ice Bucket from room service and it came within 5min!! ;)
Room- I had to agree with all the other review that the room were really showing their age, you can see scratches all over the wooden floor...you could hear people walking on the next room as the floor is really creaky-.- However our Seafront View really had the best view of the Sea, only 1 tree blocking so we had a perfect view of the Sunset from our balcony;)) The sound of the wave is really relaxing and the wildlife around the resort is incredible, we saw hornbill and lots of monkeys all from our balcony!!;) Everything is kept very clean and tidy, theres alot of channel on their LCD TV which really entertain us during the night;) Our Bed is really comfortable and I fell asleep straight away when I lie down! Our jaccuzi is really great and comfortable too!!;)
Food- I have to say the Hotel really charge insane price for a simple food, I ordered a chicken burger during lunch and it came as a chicken patty with tomatoe...no maynoise or any sauce and it taste very dry...it cost about 39RM + 10% service charge for every single dish...so basically it cost 42.90RM for just a chicken burger, I know its a 5 Star resort and I dont mind paying if the food is nice...but this is too much;((( We decided to give it another go at their Spice Trader Restaurant, thats the worse meal I had in Langkawi and it cost 180RM+ for 3 simple dishes.....Butter Nann, Chicken Masala, Ikan Bakar and rice...I actually thought the rice that cost 12RM will be some fragrance rice but it turn out to be some ordinary white rice that every street stall use...the atmosphere is really good but its abit too dark...I basically cant see my food colour at all...On the bright side the Breakfast at Feast is really good!! Lots of variety and friendly cook station;))))) They actually grill the sasuage for you on the spot so its hot and nice;DDD
Overall, this resort is really good for relaxing;) A little renovation is needed thou;) Replacing the balcony door and wooden floor maybe? Theres 2 beach in this resort, 1 is just infront of the swimming pool while the other 1 which is longer is right infront of all the SeaFront Room;))) We were really satisfied with our SeaFront room and the service of the staff but if theres no improvement on the food then I wont really recommend this resort;)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dae89
Dear Kelele_10,

Thanks for taking your time to write a review about Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for choosing our resort as one of your stays during your last trip to Langkawi. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and the services provided by our attentive associates. I hope that you brought home fond memories you could share, especially the wonderful time you spent with your partner.

However, I do apologize that you felt unsatisfactory on the food price. I hope that did not spoil your holiday. There are a few things that we are putting efforts into turning our resort a better place to live and doing some improvements on the guest rooms

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 6, 2011

A perfect hotel for a quiet vacation.
This is a hotel where you can relax and enjoy the silence away from everything.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear MrVV,

Again, thanks for your commenrs and we hope to see you again in the future.