“Between a 3 and 4 Star Hotel”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #69 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
“Between a 3 and 4 Star Hotel”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I read a lot of people's review of this hotel and I will add some clarity to it. Langkawi is not a crowded touristy island, it's semi-touristy, meaning that they don't get too many visitors except maybe some of the major holidays. With that stated the upkeep of this facility isn't exactly 24 hours a day due to the fact they don't need or can't afford that type of staff. However, things aren't falling apart, the rooms were just fine esp the bed, yes their were monkeys and some other creatures roaming around but it's a tropical island and they don't bother anyone. The staff was very kind and helpful and the location wasn't too bad. The only disappointment (besides the price) would be the beach. There's this sliver of a beach and that's it, you can't even go into the water because of how dangerous the rocks are. So!!! If you wanted to go to a place where you could go swimming in the ocean or chill on the beach, this isn't it. I'd say overall the hotel is worth $75 a night and they should try to make the prices better to attract more people. No one was using any of the facilities except the pool and the restaurants were deserted. We had the entire restaurant to ourselves (the Spice one, good food). The buffet sure isn't worth 60rn, esp if the local town with all the food, bars, and shopping you need is a 15 min ride away....

Room Tip: Garden isn't bad, you might be able to see a sliver of the sliver beach
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank J H
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Jenna H,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us in this review.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy our warm hospitality and comfortable room despite some minor disappointments.

Your comments and highlights on the areas for our future improvement are very much appreciated. I am certain that we will improve on the points raised for better value as well as guest experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Worst hotel really old needs renovation poor service air con stoped working had to switch rooms. At night its scary for my wife there are no lights out side the rooms you need to catch an old rocky shuttle bus which is a 15 min wait to pick you up thats & alwaya about to break down. It was a very dissapointing stay as i was expecting Alot more for its name and price. We hated it to the point, We left early and switched hotels.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Aka90
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Aka90,

Thank you for your review.

I regret to hear of your experience. Please feel free to reach me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com with details of your stay, as I would like to look into the issue raised personally.

I look forward to hear from you again soon.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

This is my 2nd time staying here. I like to quiet surrounding and the spacious room. However, the room needs some upgrades. Bathroom is very old and need something that is more modern. The furniture inside the room needs some upgrade too. Besides that, the swimming pool is very small. Since there is not much of beach activities. I think they should make the pool bigger and more fun for the kids. Breakfast quality has dropped since my last visit. I have my breakfast at 930am. A lot of the trays were empty and they didn't refill it.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear IcebergMelting,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience iwth us in this review.

Our buffet breakfast spread is designed taking into consideration of our guest's feedback. Please be assured that our Chef has been made aware as to ensure the culinary team continually give emphasis on food preparation standards for value and quality. I would like to apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is old and it is like an individual house on the hill. The material is made of wood. There is sounds when you are walking on their timber flooring, lighting is dim and mine did not have light at entrance but asked someone to fix it.

There will be car to fetch you from the room to lobby or from lobby to room everytime you want to go in and out. First and second round you will feel fun but after two trips you feel annoying especially you have kids. As you have to call and the car will fetch you despite it is pretty fast they come. If you forgot to bring things, then you have to take trouble wait for the car instead of walking to room in a distance.

The café is not clean as there are lots of flies which I am surprised staying in 5 stars hotel. There was a fly died on a plate of sushi but I saw the waiters cleaned it.

The pub is old and they are not opened. Disappointed.

There are monkeys surrounding hotel, so be cautious as they will attack you. However, it is quite fun for the kids and this is the natural thing in jungle.

However, the staff is nice and have parking. You must rent a car to get around, otherwise, do not stay in this hotel as there is nothing in surrounding.

Beach and swimming pool is good.
I feel the hotel is expensive with this set up and environment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear ShaneLean,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am sorry to hear of your experience and apologize for the disappointment you had expressed regarding the maintenance as well as cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay.

We appreciate your comments as it enables us to continue monitor and provides us with valuable information that we could improve on in the future. Please be assured that I have shared your concerns with team member concern and you can have my assurances that we strive to enhance our standards for better value and guest experience.

Once again, I regret for the inconvenience caused and thank you very much for your valuable comments.

Malaysia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Overall I had a positive impression of the hotel and my intention is to largely give a positive review, with some caveats.

The hotel is in a quiet spot with a lot of surrounding nature - plenty of chance to walk amongst the trees, or along the beach in private. The property is quite large.

I enjoyed the pool and the view of the sea from the pool - wish it stayed open a bit later, particularly since there is little else to do at the resort at that time besides leave in a taxi or go to one of their restaurants.

Little beach and you might be immediately turned off by the "beware of sharp rocks" and "beware of jellyfish" signs. I went in to the sea, no problem in my brief experience but I was cautious. Hanging around by the private beach was a fine thing to do for a couple hours but I preferred the pool.

Our room had internet, and I appreciated that. On the web site, it was written that free internet was not provided so that was a pleasant surprise.

It is in fact a nice hotel and good for a group or family to enjoy in relative seclusion however the main drawback to this hotel is that is not close to anything else at all. You definitely need to either rent a car (from the airport, not from the hotel) or be willing to take taxis which admittedly are cheap by western standards. For a group of 3-4 people, a taxi to Pantai Chenang is really insignificant ($8 total).

Aside from the location, another issue was that whoever cleaned our room seems to have invited inside several mosquitos. One of the nights I was fairly sleepless and I did get bitten a few times. In fact I was pretty disturbed by that.

Room Tip: I booked during low season and got a room upgrade. The room was quite large.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank istayinhotels
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear istayinhotels,

Thank you very much for this review of your stay.

It is nice to know that overall you had a pleasant experience and enjoyed the peaceful ambience as well as the amaziing views that the resort provides.

We value all feedbacks from our guests, as it enables us to continually monitor and improve our product and service. I have noted your concern regarding the mosquitos issue, please be assured that our Room Attendants have been made aware as to avoid similar disappointment. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Travelling from one place to another on the island is more convenient by hiring a car otherwise taxis are available at a reasonable price.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We love this side of Langkawi island. We had stayed in this area many times before but sadly the hotel we wanted had now closed down. We chose to stay at the Sheraton as it was on the same stretch of coastline. After a bumpy start we had a simply amazing time. The hotel is tired and neglected but the staff and the setting makes up for all of that. Breakfast was simply divine with a huge selection to chose from for all the family. They even brought in Soya milk for my son who is allergic to dairy.
As a family we really enjoyed the pool and beach and a drink at the pool bar where the staff were good company and helpful.
we only ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening once but this was very quiet and we actually prefer to go to the local restaurants to soak up the atmosphere. We also tried room service but I have to warn you this was always cold.
I treated myself to a Malay massage which was amazing. You have to shut your eyes to the unkempt area it is housed in. Once in side it was perfect. Not a massage for those who like the gentle approach. Other massages were available.
The wildlife with amazing. We had Sugargliders outside our room, monkeys, monitor lizards, geckos and friendly snakes. Everyday there was something new and beautiful to see.
The staff in reception were always helpful especially Val and the General Manager who was always happy to help and do anything to make our stay comfortable.
Yes it is tired and rubbish isn't always picked up promptly but this didn't spoil our 2 week holiday. I must say a big plus for me was a clean bathroom, comfy bed and good aircon.
One last thing the monkeys are very busy at night and you can hear them playing football on the roof. This didn't bother any of us as it was no worse than listening to the planes at night in London and was quite a nice thought to feel you were so close to nature.

Room Tip: Try and go for a beach facing room and away from the road. Don't be afraid to ask to be moved i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Sally O
Dear Sally O,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

We are extremely pleased that you chose to stay with us and our best reward was that you had a wonderful time.

Your kind comments on the service received, are a testament to the hard work and dedication that we demonstrate towards guest satisfaction. I am certain that team member concern is happy to read this.

With regards to the food ordered through our room service, I have noted and shared your comments with the service and culinary team.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback which we sincerely value. It will allow us to improve on the concerns that you have highlighted.

We would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days in April 2014 as soon as you walk in you want to run back out.
The Lobby & the rooms are shocking old furniture, dirty carpets like they have never been cleaned.
I only went there to sleep did not want to use any of their other facilities
The plants in the entrance are uprooted and dead the staff are hopeless. Rooms are old & tired monkeys jumping around on our room deck too scared to sit outside in case you are attacked by monkeys there is no sign to warn you that they are around throughout the property
Starwood Hotels brand is well known throughout the world for their High quality standard of service not too sure what standard is this hotel using. I DON’T KNOW why Sheraton or the Starwood Hotels would allow this hotel to use their name.
It’s a shame situated on a very good location a lot of potential but it needs a makeover from top to bottom. Langkawi is a beautiful little island but I will certainly won’t be staying at The Sheraton Langkawi Beach Hotel ever again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank 726Maria
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear 726Maria,

Thank you very much for sharing this review.

It is regrettable that your recent stay with us was not to your expectations.

I would like to apologize for the disappointment you had expressed. Please feel free to contact me via email : kumar.renoo@sheraton.com, with details of your stay so that I can look into the issues raised personally.

Again, I regret for the inconvenience caused and I look forward to hear from you again soon.