“In big need of maintenance”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #71 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The hotel facilities are poorly maintained and its amazing that it still can run under the name of Sheraton.
The inside of the room was nice though, and the bed was really comfy.
The location is just 10 min from the airport but in the wrong direction considered that the nice Pantai Cenang beacj is about 10-15 min in the other direction from the airport.
There's a small beach at the hotel just down from the pool area that also is poorly maintained with spikes sticking up from the partly rotten wooden deck...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Per J
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear PerVagabond,

Thank you for this review of your stay.

We appreciate your comments and have also taken note on the shortfall areas for our improvements.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We booked this hotel on recomendation, read review on trip advisor and tried to get it changed but to late.
Anyway we went with an open mind thinking it cant be that bad because of the Sheraton name.
how wrong were we.
The hotel staff excellant the the food and service good.
The pool was nice. But the standard of the rest of the hotel need Flattening down and rebuilding completely. Its is not a 5* hotel more like 3*. Everyone we spoke to in the hotel said the same thing.
Very quiet, no entertainment, the beach was not fit to go onto, Broken stair banisters, dirty sofas, we had to ask for hand towels everyday.
the spa was no good .
do not go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea veiw or pool side the best other wise long walk to Lobby.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank mick s
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear mick s,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I've no other word to describe this 'hotel'.

It reminded my girlfriend more of a run-down Soviet 'Lager' where poor children are sent by school. I personally haven't seen a 'hotel' so far in disintegration, soooo dirty!

Basically you can say everything is broken to a stage where it's dangerous. Electric cables hanging out, nails are standing out at the wooden deck of the pool, dirt is everywhere. I decided not even to take the free breakfast because I didn't want to take the risk to get sick in my holiday.

It's one thing when a hotel is old but well maintained - but this hotel is dirty in the public area as well as in the rooms. I have no words, therefore please check the photos I took.

If you have children and you want them to have an electric shock or step into nails, this is the place to go. If you don't want to sleep because of broken (extremely noisy) air-condition, road traffic directly next to your room, aircrafts above your room, it's your hotel. In case you like dirty rooms (black hair in the bathroom, spots on the curtains etc.), Sheraton Langkawi is your choice.

Personally I think hell is in better condition than this 'hotel'.

I'm surprised that this 'hotel' has a manager, that this person isn't in shame being manager of such a place. Maybe he's blind that he doesn't see the dirt everywhere.

I hope Sheraton takes out this piece of dirt from their hotel chain.

Room Tip: better book a room in HELL
12  Thank HONkiev
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear HONkiev,

I regret to hear about your experience at our hotel.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com with your contact details as I would like to look into the issues raised personally.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Referring to previous reviews you should not expect Sheraton quality (also the pricing is way below of Sheraton btw...) but adjust your expectations to local standards. After doing that the resort is very good for a peaceful holiday outside the tourist traps, which for us was a huge plus. We found the jungle-like atmosphere very relaxing with monkeys (they leave you alone if you leave them) and almost empty seafront sunchairs. There are good restaurants nearby the hotel with complimentary transportation so you are not stuck to hotel restaurants. The property is maintained by the local Malesian standards which means a bit careless attitude towards the greenery and pavement conditions as well as carbage handling (empty plastic bottles here and there, some broken lamp posts but nothing major).

The room service was efficient, bell counter, checkin and checkout very smooth as well as other services we used in the premises. We stayed in a seafront villa which was clean, silent and nicely positioned a bit outskirts from the reception but only 5 minutes walk.

Breakfast was basic but good enough, Spice Trader restaurant pricey but average. Our overall experience about the hotel was way above the expectations and we woul definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The villas are a must choice as then you really experience the atmosphere of this resort.
2  Thank MarttiLeh
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear MarttiLeh,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments – it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their holidays.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Plus 1) Amazing customer service - I guess Sheraton is taking feedback about this property seriously and really stepping up in terms of service. 2) Real quiet and peaceful, the resort land is enormous and heavily forested. Howsoever crowded the hotel is, it seems empty. Hence the place is perfect for a relaxing, lazy holiday.

Minus 1) The beach and oceanfront is tiny and view isn't particularly enthralling considering rest of Langkawi's pristine-ness. 2) Food is below average and quite expensive. Breakfast is ordinary too. 3) Monkeys everywhere - if you take pics from afar and mind your own business they are okay. But you can't shoo them away, and don't even try :).

Tip - Rent a car. Its super easy to drive in Langkawi, only few roads and you don't even need a GPS. Getting your own wheels will help you in sightseeing and give you access to cheaper and much better food.

Room Tip: We stayed in superior rooms and found them okay. They are far from the beach but then considering th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SaurabhBaj

Dear SaurabhBaj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I was delighted to read your kind review and grateful for your comments on the food as well as accommodation provided for you.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for your holiday in Langkawi. We look forward to
having you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hotel hardwear is dated and either needs domolishing and starting again - or Starwood should pull out since this is not what a Sheraton should be. The chairs round the pool are ancient and uncomfortable, the beach is pretty non existent, and the surroundings dirty. Do not come here for a resort experience.

However the staff seemed good and the front desk staff were particularly helpful, despite being on "a sinking ship".

TIP: Use the hotel as a base and use the facilities at the other hotels on the island with a hire car.

3  Thank biztrav88

Dear biztrav88,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Whilst you seems happy with our warm hospitality, however I regret to hear that we had failed to meet your overall expectations. We value the chance to learn and respond to these opportunities to improve on our facilities and your feedback will certainly be beneficial in our future development considerations.

I would like to apologize for your experience and the inconvenience caused. Please rest assured that we continually strive to make improvements for our guest’s comfort and satisfaction.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to make improvement and let us welcome you back.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I'm not an expert when it comes to 5 star hotels but I am pretty sure the service received as well as the conditions of the rooms definitely do not deserve this 5 Star rating.

Upon arrival at the hotel, there was no one in sight to greet us at the hotel lobby entrance. we had to unload our own bags from the trunk of the car. I'm sure there is meant to be a bellboy or concierge waiting to welcome you to the hotel. When we arrived at the check in counter (3pm), our room was not ready. check out time is 12pm, I'm sure the allotted 3 hours is more than sufficient to have the rooms cleaned and ready for check in. And no welcoming drinks.

When we went down to the pool area to relax, we were greeted by a very rude person attending to the towels. No greeting, and in a rude tone asked if I was staying in the hotel as if to suggest that I would wander in off the street just to use their swimming pool and take their towels. This was very offensive. Second time we went down, we were told to come back in 30 mins. in a very rude tone as if to suggest that he was the boss and were minions. They were out of towels. I can safely say that if I was not of Asian appearance, I would have not been treated this way.

On the second last day of our trip, I found MOLD on our bath towels in the room. This is not just a small spot on the edge, but was practically covering the whole towel. Mind you we had a baby who was going to use that towel. Lucky thing I checked before we bathed him.

We have stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels that are of similar age to this resort and they have had far better standards in hygiene and most definitely the friendliness of their staff members. Novotel would be a hotel Sheraton staff members should learn from.

To cap all of this off, we had their Christmas buffet dinner. One word describes it all 'Terrible'. The food quality and selection at the buffet is one you can come to expect from s 3 star hotel. It was a horrible experience. Possibly the only thing that made is nicer was the Santa that came in to greet the kids. (You guys did 1 thing right)

There was one staff member that did shine through, Sadly it was one of the managers Valerie Ong. I say sadly because it would have been nicer to have someone that was not management level to shine.

My advice, avoid like the black plague.

Room Tip: A different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FaQua Q
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear FaQua Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us in this review.

Please be informed that I have provided my personal response to you via email earlier.

Again, thank you for your comments and I would like to apologize for the disappointment you had expressed.