“Yes, just that: average...”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #71 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
London
“Yes, just that: average...”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Sheraton standard greatly varies from one country to another it seems... in the case of Langkawi, we have a fading resort with average bungalows which made me think of Butlins in the UK. Thin walls, you can hear all what your neighbours are doing, when they're coming in, when they're coming out, toilet flushing, people coughing etc... Not the most relaxing and quiet place.
The terraces of the bungalows at the back have no view as such, just overlook some sort of mangrove so get ready for an invasion of mosies! I fully understand critters and mosies and monkeys come with places like this but there were already so many mosies when I arrived in the room, it was disheartening! The room was stiffling hot too - you'd think they'd put the AC on when you've told them what time you're checking in so that you find a room which is cool- not the case!
it's just the lack of attention to details in this hotel: having to wait for ages for the shuttle ( I was on my own so did not feel like walking in the dark), having to repeatedly call reception "is the shuttle coming soon?", having to call reception for mosies spray etc...
It is clear the cleaning ladies leave the doors open whilst they do the rooms and this let in so many mosquitoes, you'll have to spend your night killing them. Where's the spray? none provided.
The pool area wasn't very inviting, bit crowded, loud music... I'm sure however this would be perfectly fine for some but I'm not in Malaysia for the swimming pool, more for the beach. The beach wasn't too crowded, easy to get a sunlounger- quite good actually.
Bar staff were very friendly & did some mean Pinacoladas! Easy to chat to, attentive. People at reception were generally nice and helpful, I felt for them as there were quite a few people complaining...
I don't remember eating anything that made me go "wow" but it was acceptable.
However I was stunned they have the nerve to charge nearly £5.00 ( RM24) for a bottle of mineral water in the room. Sheer greed. Or maybe it is holy water??
In a nutshell, I feel I've made a mistake booking this resort, won't be fooled by the "Sheraton" brand again and definitely not a place I'd visit again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DivingFrenchie
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear DivingFrenchie,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in this review.

I appreciate the feedbacks that you have provided regarding your recent stay with us. It is with regret to hear that your overall expectations were not met, in that you found our room comfort and service offered were below the expected standard.

Please accept my apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you had encountered due to the hot temperature and mosquitoes in your room upon your check in. Our Executive Housekeeper has noted and shared your concern with all Room Attendants to ensure our rooms (especially for expected arrivals rooms) are checked appropriately before release to guest to avoid any future disappointment.

Mosquitoes repellents are provided in our guest rooms. Guest may request for mosquitoes spray as well as additional repellents if needed through our Guest Services. Meanwhile, our Room Attendants have also been briefed to keep the door close when they do up the rooms to avoid mosquitoes from entering.

Shuttle bus service is provided for our guests’ convenience to move around the resort. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the long waiting time. You have my assurances that this has been looked into with our drivers to ensure guest’s requests are attended to appropriately.

Many guests appreciate the ambience and enjoy spending their time relaxing at our pool deck and beach area. Therefore, we placed sufficient deck chairs for our guests to use.

Thank you for your comment on the price of our bottled mineral water. Rest assured our Food & Beverage Manager has looked into your concern.

On the positive note, I am happy to hear that you were impressed with the service received from our Pool Bar and Front Desk team. They are the savior when comes to guest satisfaction.

Again, I regret for the shortfall areas and thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to improve and let us welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

The otherwise superb stay at this hotel can easily be spoiled by by not following two simple instructions:- Do not leave any food in the balcony and keep your doors closed especially when you have food in it!

I witnessed a neighboring chalet which was invaded by monkeys and help came only after a tantalizing ten minutes as the hotel chalets are on a sprawling ground.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank WLCHONG
Dear WLCHONG,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I appreciate your kind reminder to others to keep their room door close to avoid the monkeys
from entering as well as for their safety purpose.

Thank you for enjoying your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort last week and I must admit after reading recent reviews we were a little bit worried about what we would find on arrival, however probably because our expectations weren't high we were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is in quite a run down condition, but nothing a bit of a lick of paint in some areas and refurbishing in others wouldn't fix.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. They also allowed us a late check out on our last day until 3.00pm at no extra charge which was great for us.

I would note however that as we had booked some considerable time in advance so we had an early bird rate, maybe if we had paid full room rate we may have been a little more disappointed in how run down the hotel was.

There's another Sheraton Hotel nearer to Cenang and we wondered whether Sheraton and putting money into this newer hotel before upgrading the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort.

The hotel was very quiet and restful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kayetraveller
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Kayetraveller

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

It is very kind of you to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us and the hospitality extended by our associates despite the shortfalls areas.

I could understand our guest's frustration when their expectations are not met and not being able to enjoy the experience that other Sheraton had provided for. Please rest assured, we value all feedbacks and regularly review with the team members to ensure actions are taken to improve areas of concern for guest satisfaction.

Maintenance is a challenge for this property and I acknowledge that there is a lot of work to accomplish in order to lift this property up to the expected standard. You have my assurances that work is underway and carried out in stages.

Yes, we have a sister property named Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort. It is actually located nearer to the airport.

Once again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards
Buenos Aires
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel itself is I believe very nice and spacious, and the greenery gives it a great feel. The food was above average, though breakfast I felt was just OK and a bit overpriced. It was really relaxing to sleep with sounds of crickets and others, and I also got frequent visits from monkeys in my balcony, which was great provided I was able to hide the food :). Where this hotel I think is lacking is in its location, which is far away from beach and town, and may invite you to sort of get trapped in there.
So if you do not mind traveling a bit to get away, this is a great place to hide out for a little while.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Novivedeensalada,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with this review.

The resort nestles in the privacy of 38 acres of greenery. Wholly at one with nature, the Resort’s serene and informal surroundings present an idyllic atmosphere. Great efforts have also been taken to preserve mother nature at her best. This is evident by the number and variety of trees that surround the resort, with some trees protruding through walkways.

You will be similarly amazed at the numerous species of wildlife found at the Resort. Flying foxes, squirrels, monkeys and hornbills perching and resting on tree tops and in the tropical splendor that abound around the gardens of the Resort. Just a friendly reminder “Do not feed the monkeys”.

For easy movement around Langkawi island, I would suggest to rent a car. Our resort’s location though seems far from the hot spot like Cenang beach, it only takes 15 minutes drive to reach and taxis are available at the hotel most of the time.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind review and choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 17, 2012

It s not just inviting, the atmosphere is amazingly calm yethappening.The staff is very eager to help and cordial.The rooms are totally upto the Sheraton standards.The private beach is the most amazing part i would say, specially the way it has been maintained.Our buffet breakfast had a decent lay out.The restaurant otherwise also had good food but i wont say outstanding.Main point of contention is its distance from the main Langkawi market.Though Taxi service is easily available but the stretch is a little lonely so a tourist might think twice before returning back very late to the hotel. Overall a very nice experience.looking forward to going back!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear abhilasha_india,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and support. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Generally, our stay at Sheraton Langkawi was a great disappointment for us. It doesn't reflect the Sheraton brand name. The initial room that we checked into was in a deplorable condition and the bathroom was filthy. Thank goodness, the front office personnel was helpful and courteous. She arranged for a change of room. However, the other room was still unsatisfactory but told ourselves that we'll just make do with it. The pool looked dirty and made it unappealing for us to even have a swim in it. Imagine, going to Langkawi and not have the 'desire' to have a swim. We must complement the service rendered by the front office personnel who assisted us and the concierge for their excellent service. Overall, the hotel needs major refurbishment. Otherwise, would definitely not consider this hotel again if we make another trip to Langkawi.

Dear DC100304,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us in this review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that other Sheraton Hotels have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the condition of our room as well as swimming pool and the inconvenience caused. Please rest assured, I have reviewed your concern with my team members and taken necessary actions to improve the facilities we offer for guest satisfaction.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your compliments on the service received from our Front Desk and Concierge team that has somehow made up all the shortcomings.

We understand that the shortfalls has tarnished your impression about us but we sincerely hope that you would give us an opportunity to improve and let us welcome you back.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Newcastle
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband & I recently stayed at the Sheraton Langkawi for 1 week & thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Admittedly the Resort does need some attention but I understand this is gradually being undertaken. Workmen were present during our stay.
Our room, a sea front jacuzzi room, was excellent. We found the staff particularly friendly especially Valerie at Front Desk & the staff around the pool. We loved the relaxed atmosphere & friendliness. We enjoyed the food on offer in the Restaurants. I look forward to seeing the boardwalk completed as this would be a lovely stroll. I do hope Starwood puts the time & money into this Resort as it is a great place.

Room Tip: Sea front rooms are great