“The worst starwood hotel ever.”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #72 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Do not expect that this hotel would be the same as other starwood hotels. It was just a serise of dissapointment. It would be great if you don't care about these things; spoiled drinks in minibar, forget to replace the amenties, most of the staff don't know how to handle the problem, and the bad location. It was the worst hotel I've ever stayed.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank beeecky
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear beeecky,

We thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. Please accept our apologies for the less than satisfactory experience.

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with the services provided. It is standard procedure for all mini bars to be checked and replenished daily, same procedure applies to our room amenities. This was clearly neglected and you have my assurances that the matter has been addressed with those concerned to ensure our guests are not similarly disappointed in the future.

Meanwhile, key Department Heads have also been briefed to give emphasis on training to improve our associates problem handling skill for better guest experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your reviews and regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Warm regards.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

There is one word to describe this resort

DISGRACEFUL

I cannot believe that the Starwood group would allow this resort to detoriate to its current situation.Further I had a meal at the socalled up market Captains Grill==paid$70 aus for a fish meal with ants on the table--I dont thinkso/////

The staff at the resort are very good.

Nearby are excellent resorts for a similar price

Room Tip: Dont stay elsewhere
3  Thank NoosaJoad

Dear NoosaJoad,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not leave a positive lasting impression.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you went through with ants on the table during your dinner at Captain’ Grill – this can leave a negative lasting impression. We would like to assure you that periodic fumigation is carried out in all the rooms as well as public areas.

On a different note, we are very happy to hear that our associates were great – thank you.

We understand that your recent experience has tarnished your impression about us but we sincerely hope that you would give us an opportunity to make amends and let us welcome you back.

Kind regards.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have just returned from the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. I was a little anxious after reading some of the TA reviews before leaving, so thought I would add my own comments. Yes, the resort is a little tired, but being the low season they were doing some works whilst we were there, particularly to the walkway that runs the beachfront and links one side of the resort to the main restuarant/pool. There are other things that are glaringly obvious that need attention, mainly just paintwork and refreshed carpets and hopefully are on a maintenance schedule to be remedied. We found that the staff were delightful, all super friendly and happy. They do however have a lack of staff in key restruarants and hopefully this will be addressed. We were given a villa room as a SPG rewards member which was clean, large and typical Asian style with lots of timber. It was situated in the grounds on the top of a hill, therefore the walk to and fro to reception was our workout each time...which we didn't mind, but they do have an efficient shuttle service if you couldn't walk it. Only downside to that is that they run all night and some of the vehicles are vyer noisy and in need of new mufflers! Hence at 2am they tend to clatter and bang their way around the roads just outside the room! We visited each of the restuarants in the resort, the food at the Captains Grill was fantastic although quite pricey considering the service was very slow due to lack of staffing. Spice Trader was just OK. Feast had a great buffett dinner each night which was very reasonable (Rm88) but for the buffet breakfast it lacked a few things and was a bit ordinary compared to the breakfast at the Sheraton KL. Poolside, the menu was quite extensive and the bar staff were great. Our general thought was that they need to up their staffing levels, spend some time and money on maintenance to refresh and keep their current staff happy as they are an asset. The Resort is situated on the West side of the Island pretty much on it's own, there are two local restuarants on the outside road that provide a pickup service, which is best to take advantage of, as the road at night could be quite dangerous to walk. We hired a car to visit other parts of the island both day and night. It was really easy to drive around, very little traffic. We circumnavigated the island within a day and saw all the major sites! Langkawi is very quiet compared to similar destinations, so don't go expecting major nightlife , bars etc, but if you just want to unwind & refresh it's worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you want something different ask for a villa type room , suggest in the 1700 range so there's...
3  Thank kath-lee0810

Dear kath-lee0810,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us – it is always great to hear that our guests enjoy our friendly hospitality.

I am grateful for your comments as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering.

Our Food & Beverage venues offer different dining options, many thanks for your visit and comment on your experience. I’ll be sure to share your feedback with our Food & Beverage Team on the food and services provided.

Whilst it seems that you appreciate our shuttle bus service, I have taken your comment on board in regards to the noisy vehicles especially during night time. Rest assured this have been communicated to our drivers to ensure guest’s privacy is respected at all times. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

Once again, thank you for your invaluable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Langkawi.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Arrival at Langkawi Sheraton
We met a couple Sandy and Michael from Melbourne the 1st night who were moving out as weren’t happy at all and couldn’t get what they wanted from management .
But for us we stayed as couldn’t afford to move
Let’s Say it’s “ OUT OF ORDER”
As everything was ........out of order ......
Got to room and it was ordinary ,tired ,old ,needs a facelift
Go to open safe didn’t work ,called reception and 3 guys came to fix promptly ...needed battery ....all fixed but the best bit is you could pick the safe up from wardrobe and carry it with you
One computer in foyer working ...rest with out of order signs so had to pick your timing for use .....KL had 6 all working
Room ,was a joining room so we heard everything next door and it had timber floors so everytime someone moved next door it sounded like they were in our room ,after 3 young girls moved out I asked reception to help re not placing anyone there if possible and they did for the last 3 days (staff were good!)
Towels .....no hand towels for 1st 3 days then we got them on 4th day ,then had to ask for them every day after ,and bottled water a couple of times as the 2 bottles in room weren’t replaced ,only 2 per day here had to buy any extras
All towels were that old they had holes and bits off them
All locks on doors had been broken over time so some were replaced with old ones left there ,
Grouting and bathroom was not so good ,wouldn’t use the bath only for hand washing and we found one cockroach floating in washing ,but this might of been from a spraying they did re mozies which wasn’t that bad only one in room mozie that is .
Pool table out of order sign
Soccer table out of order sign
Recreation area out of order
Happy hour had plenty of guest but one waiter and made drinks inside and brought them out to you .....cocktails tasted like no alcohol in them and when making comment we later found out that supplies hadn’t been replenished ,every guest we met complained about this .we went twice didn’t go back as when having same drink in other bars could tell the real deal
Lunch at feast on 1st day ordered a tiger beer only had one sorry run out
Pool bar was great but lacked supplies and later we found out why ,cocktails here had alcohol in them
Pool decking was a trip hazard with parts lifting so had to be careful here ,pool was clean and water fine ,any sea equipment like kayak’s were in storage behind pool shed and looked like they hadn’t been used for years .
Went to Captains restaurant which closes every week one night for maintenance as we were there for a week we got a letter twice cost cutting here ,this is their main restaurant up market sea views ,very ordinary and had little wines we chose in stock ,steak was tough ,offered dessert only to find the cake type dish were frozen and quickly thawed hence soggy ,didn’t eat them after 1st bite

Breakfast was ok if you got there before 9am as it lacked after that ,staff- those who were there did their best to assist in all areas always a smile .food you could see that they did the best with what one would say lack of supplies
The best food story was we went to order some fish and chips snack at the pool only to be told no fish ???????????
So when chips came to us I again asked no fish ?? and staff said it smelt off so we didn’t want to give you food poisoning,...........see great staff !
2 stray cats always wandered around the Feast restaurant and pool area .......ok if you liked cats ........even got up on tables ........not my choice of guest at restaurants!
The monkeys kept to themselves even posing for photos by pool

As for $500 aussie credits and not wanting to eat there we decided to book the most expensive spa treatment on the last day to use credits up ,could get in with 2 days notice so we decided to go see then ...then they found room for both of us at last minute before we left ................treatment was our highlight of stay at Sheraton langkawi ....great girls there!

So feeling overwhelmed when we 1st got there we took a sleep and we decide to take it as it is and make the best of it as we had no other choice ,stay away from place as much as possible only to sleep and stay by pool

Room Tip: stay some where else unless you are ok with a 2 star place ,doesnt compare to other sheraton resorts...
3  Thank peter s

Dear peter s,

Many thanks for recently staying with us whilst visiting Langkawi and also for having taken the time to provide us with your feedback in this review.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that other Sheraton properties have provided for you. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience and we will certainly review the overall performance of our service to ensure we are able to provide the best service possible moving forward.

We understand that this has tarnished your impression about us but we sincerely hope that you would give us an opportunity to make amends and let us welcome you back.

On a different note, we are very happy to hear you enjoyed our spa treatment and that our masseurs were great – thank you.

Kind regards.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had read alot of reviews on the Sheraton Langkawi beach resort before I booked. I was in 2 minds after reading some of the reviews.However decided to gamble on it and stay there. It was beautiful. The rooms were lovey and clean. The staff were wonderful and were most helpful to us in the middle of the night when our little child was sick. The food was great. We spent alot of time around the pool area and the kids loved the pool bar and the staff loved the kids. Beach is good to build sandcastles with kids, the water is not cyrstal clear but it was still lovely.There was monkeys and squirrels around the pool area which was lovely to see. We always saw someone sweeping and gardening and I believe they are trying there best to improve grounds. There is a bit of rubbish around the grounds of the resort and yes it could do with an update on the outside. But if you take a good look around the island most of the resorts are in the same position. Also a short taxi ride to the Harbour will find you a few different eating options. Lovely spot to eat and food was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank nik0573
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear N Q,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to hear that my team members went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and your invaluable feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My rating might be a bit harsh but I have to consider the whole package so; our room was a good size, comfortable, and well (modern) decorated, the bathroom. But, the outside (public areas) are in need of an update - urgently. Also, when we first arrived we noticed rubbish strewn around near the villas, at first I thought that the staff obviously don't clean very well, and later I realised that it's the monkeys (cute but naughty) that obviously sneek into rooms (keep the balcony doors locked - we did see them in action) and steal anything they can get their hands on, but the rubbish was still there after three days, so obviously my first reaction was also correct. Having said all that I would like to say that the staff (food & beverage) were very good and the food was delicious. The hotel is placed in a quiet part of the island so you can really relax.

Room Tip: Sea view villas are in a great location but the partial water views are very partial because the tal...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aniajoe

Dear Aniajoe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this review,

We pride ourselves in giving you the most comfortable and relaxing environment.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us. Your comments are invaluable in helping us identify opportunities for improvement while assisting us in creating the ideal customer service
experience.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your concerns with us and for the opportunity to respond. If I can be of any further assistance in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me at kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went with my best friend for a week away and had a fantastic time. We were upgraded to a villa which was beautiful (I am not sure why everyone comments saying they were a poor quality, however, I dont go on holidays to spend time in my room).
The hotel staff were fantastic. I would like to particularly say thank you to the food and beverage manager (selva) who really made our stay and my birthday. His customer service was outstanding.
My only negative comment was the food around the pool wasnt great. However, that just made us get out more and visit the great restaurants in Langkawi.
Also make sure you try and spa...I had a great facial and pedicure there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank thinkingoutloud121
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear thinkingoutloud121,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort and taking the time to provide us with this review.

I appreciate your kind words regarding the service you received especially from our Food & Beverage Manager, Mr. Selva. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that he has went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable.

It is nice to know that you had a good experience at our Spa. I’ll share your compliments with our masseuse.

I have also taken your comment on board in regards to the food served at our pool area. Rest assured, your concern has been looked into with our culinary team to further improve.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.