“Good location, nice hotel, but some serious issues”

Century Langkawi Beach Resort
Ranked #73 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I had read some of the reviews of this hotel before booking and travelling to Langkawi and I had some doubts about booking a room here. But as we were on a weekend trip up from Kuala Lumpur and travelling with a small child (18 months) I was looking for something close to the airport and which had some facilities for children. So I eventually decided to book a room as it seemed to have all the facilities we were looking for. It was also a plus that I had been told by a friend that he had some relatives visit it the week before and had enjoyed themselves very much.

On arrival my doubts seemed to be justified. Our taxi pulled up behind another taxi van or one of the hotel's own shuttle buses. There seemed to be a hotel person in attendance but he was obviously way to busy with what was going on even to pay attention to us. So we were left to get all our luggage out of the taxi and to drag it into the reception. This was an inconvenience that I was still willing to excuse as he had obviously been very busy.

But there was no excuse for what happened next. We were struggling up to the doors with our bags and a kid in a stroller and I notice two of the hotel staff standing just inside the doors talking and laughing with each other. They obviously saw us struggling with our stuff and trying to make our way into the reception, yet none of them even moved over to open the door for us. Only when we were inside the doors and making our way to the reception desk did they finally come to their senses and offer to help us with our luggage. I have to admit that I was so angry and disappointed that I simply told them that if I had managed so far alone I didn't really need their help at all. However, after having learnt a little bit about the layout of the hotel I agreed for them to take my bags back out again to the concierge's desk for transfer to our room.

The check-in staff were all friendly and helpful, and they told me with a smile that we had been upgraded to a sea-front room with a jaccuzi, and they asked me if we wanted a king size bed. I was a bit puzzled as I had explicitly booked a sea-view room with a jacuzzi and a king size bed. So I asked them to clarify with me what the actual upgrade was as it wasn't immediately clear to me. This seemed to confuse the reception staff as they are obviously used to people just accepting the offer of an upgrade without any questions. But in the end it eventually became clear that the difference was that this room was located in a building right next to the beach front while the original room was a in a building set a little bit back from the beach but which still had a sea view. We were also given a complimentary voucher for the buffet dinner.

The rest of the check-in went just fine and we were eventually taken to our room by one of the Hotel's shuttle buses. This turned out to be room 1015 which was close to the edge of the hotel grounds, and located about 30 meters away from the beach.

I had specifically requested a cot for our son, and I had again reminded them about this at the reception desk. After the service we had received on arrival I had my doubts about whether it would be there and was preparing myself for having to chase it. But luckily the hotel got this absolutely right and the cot was there waiting for our son who by this time was ready for bed.

With some of the initial disappointment gone I was starting to feel that perhaps things would not be so bad after all. But the next morning the hotel quickly managed to erode all of the goodwill that they had gained by getting the room ready for us and by giving us a room upgrade and a complimentary dinner.

We made our way to the restaurant for breakfast and followed the path shown as leading towards the reception. Initially we made good progress with our son in his stroller, but once past the pool area the problems started again. Firstly there was no clear indication where we needed to go to find the breakfast buffet. We made our way around the side of the building facing towards the pool and the sea, but were stopped short by a long flight of stairs and no lift. So we turned around and tried to make our way around the other side of the building towards the reception. Up to that point the path had been completely even with no real obstacles for our son's stroller but for some incomprehensible reason the hotel had seen it fit to add a set of steps right at the end of the path. We were able to make our way past this with the stroller, but why add the steps in the first place? It would have been so easy to have avoided them altogether.

I was starting to realise that this hotel had been built without any thought to families with children in strollers, or to people in wheelchairs. This impression had started to form when I had noticed the spit level layout of our room, and was further confirmed by these steps and the fact that even the reception had a split level without any provisions for actually rolling a pram or a wheelchair from one level to the other. And the impression was absolutely confirmed when I realised that the only options for actually reaching the restaurant was by either walking up a long flight of stairs or by climbing down a slightly shorter set of stairs.

Having finally arrived at the restaurant we were pleased to find our friends waiting at a table for us to join them for breakfast. I found a high chair for our son and I sat down to look after him while my wife went to get some food. A few minutes later she came and announced that there was no food and that there was a huge queue for getting any fried food. I thought she was probably overreacting and suggested that she simply joined the queue while I continued to look after our son. After about 20 minutes of this one of our friends eventually decided to go look for her and came back and told me that she was still in the queue, but that she was getting close to the front. After about another 10-15 minutes she eventually returned with some friend eggs and an omelette but had been unable to get any sausages or turkey bacon.

Next we tried to get some tea for her as the tea she had been given on arrival was obviously cold by this time. This turned out to be another challenge and when they finally arrived they managed to further upset us by giving her less than half a cup and then walking off without even asking if anyone else needed a top up.

By this time we were all pretty upset. We had been at the restaurant for almost 40 minutes and my wife had only just arrived back with some food, and I had not been able to get anything at all yet. And quite understandably our son was getting both upset and restless at being sat in his high chair waiting for all this time.

While I went off to collect my food my friend had had enough of the service offered and demanded to speak with the manager. He apologised for the inconvenience caused and was trying to sort things out for us. He asked for our room numbers and told us that he would look at doing something for us to compensate. At the same time I had it confirmed that my wife hadn’t exaggerated when she said there was nothing to eat. Almost all the plates with the sort of food I want to eat for breakfast were empty and with virtually no staff filling anything up it was obvious that it would be a while if I wanted to wait for my preferred choices to become available.

Having had a real nightmare reception and first morning I was starting to get really worried about what the rest of the stay would be like.

The same morning we also had an issue with the table on our balcony. The stand was faulty, and our son almost managed to topple it over. To make it safe we lifted the top off and put it flat on the balcony floor. The table top was so heavy that my wife and I had to lift it between us. It was obvious that had the table toppled over it could have caused serious injury to us or done considerable damage to the hotel itself. We called housekeeping to get it fixed, and they came within minutes to pick up the base and take it to their workshop. It was obviously a safe option, but left us without a table. It felt a bit strange that they didn't even consider actually replacing it with one of the tables from one of the empty rooms around us. As the table didn't arrive back before we left I don't know what the condition of the repair is, but unless the repair is done properly it will be just a matter of time before someone has a serious accident.

So by now we were really disappointed with the hotel and our opinion of it at a rock bottom level. But from this point on almost all went well. We had a great time at the pool, and we found the housekeeping staff both friendly and helpful. The only issue we had after this was noise from monkeys jumping on the metal roof of our building during the night. And at one point we even had a monkey come into our room while the balcony door was open. We had left the door open while our son was having an afternoon nap so that we could hear him while relaxing on one of the sunbeds near the beach. As luck will have it I happened to be back in the room when the monkey decided to enter our room. I guess it was just as surprised as I was and it simply turned around and ran away. But we made sure that we kept the doors closed after this. This is perhaps not exactly a hotel issue, but perhaps something that they should have warned us about.

The complimentary buffet dinner turned out to be really good and the F&B manager that had taken our room number after our troubles at breakfast asked if we had received anything in our room yet. So we got the impressed he had requested that something was done for us, but to our great disappointment nothing actually did turn up. When we mentioned the issues we had experienced during our first breakfast at check-out we were only offered a complimentary leaving drink. I politely refused.

The hotel is actually quite nice, and in a reasonably convenient location. It is a real pity that it was let down so badly by inattentive staff on arrival and poor staffing or management at breakfast. In addition the lack of adjustments to ease access for families with children or persons in wheelchairs or with problems walking up or down stairs is also a huge minus for me. The split level layout of our room turned out to be a real inconvenience. It meant that it was always a challenge to move around the room while dimly lit and also when moving our son's stroller in or out of the room.

The pool area was nice, but with a lack of sunbeds actually placed in areas with direct sunshine. Only a handful of sunbeds wasn't permanently in the shade from the trees around the pool area. There is a small children's pool and a larger general pool. Both were reasonably clean and nice to use. The swim up bar in the main pool was ok, but again there is considerable room for improvement of the service provided. I frequently found that the staff "went missing" and that I had to shout to get their attention and come around to check what I wanted.

Room Tip: Consider booking a different hotel if you want to make sure you don't have any upsets or if you...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TheEagleGuy
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Dear TheEagleGuy,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and the time taken to post this review.

The inconvenience and unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort are very much regretted. I sincerely apologize on the shortfall areas.

As Guest’s comfort is our priority, I would like to address some issues personally. As such, I would appreciate if you could provide me with your booking detail and name to my email : kumar.renoo@sheraton.com.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment on the services provided upon your arrival. Our Front Office Manager has reviewed your concerns and corrective measures had been put in place.

Movement around the resort is shuttled by buses for our guest’s convenient. Although many guests appreciated this, some prefers to walk to enjoy the natural surroundings. Thus, we value your suggestion to improve our pathway from pool to restaurant or vice-versa for easy access of baby pram and wheelchair.

Our buffet breakfast is one of the hotel’s highlights that many guests enjoyed. Unfortunately, this was not the case for you and family. We sincerely regret to learn about the breakfast experience. Our Food & Beverage Manager had taken this matter up with his team for immediate improvement.

I appreciate your input on the monkey issue. They can be of a nuisance at times. FYI, we do share with our guest on do’s and don’ts about wild life upon checking in. I have reiterated this matter again with my team accordingly.

Thank you for sharing your pleasant encounter with our Room Attendants and the convenient of the hotel location that you like despite the shortfall areas.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and I look forward to hear from you again.

Warm regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed May 13, 2012

After going through the pictures on the net ...went ahead and booked the hotel. The Hotel is beautiful and the staff at the reception are nice. I was extremely disappointed with the housekeeping staff. The room had ants near the tea and coffee pot. The hot water kettle was dirty and stained. Bathroom shower was bad and every time I wanted to have a tub bath the water was yellow. Water bottles were not supplied on day to day basis so I had to buy water. The closest restaurant are two local restaurant. If you want to eat KFC then you can go to Petronas mall...the cab will cost Rm18.00 or you can take a cab to Pantai Chenang which will cost you Rm 24.00 where all the restaurants are. Breakfast spread was excellent....just remember if your having food in the open air you will have monkeys to share your meal.

Room Tip: If you take sea facing room you will like it. Garden facing room will have just a overlook of other...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rinimukherjee
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear rinimukherjee,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort in this review.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment on the services provided by our Room Attendants. Rest assured, our Executive Housekeeper has reviewed your comments with her team for improvement. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

Our buffet breakfast is one of the hotel’s highlights. It is nice that you like the range of choices available. Compliments to our Chef for their continuous effort in striving to improve our buffet spread to offer varieties.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I went to this hotel on the advise of my brothers when I first got there I was Very disappointed. First I did not get the welcoming drink that everyone raves about , after being shown to our room very quickly I have to say I was disappointed with the state of our room it was very shabby and not as clean as a 5star hotel room should be. But i have to say the lovely staff all over the hotel ,especially at the breakfast buffet made our stay a memorable one that I was able to overlook the state of the room .so if you are looking for brand new furnishings it is not for you but I can not fault the staff or location very beautiful , and the shuttle bus was always quick to come when we called for it .

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Ruba A
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Ruba A,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at our Resort in this review.

It has always been our pleasure in taking care of our guests’ comfort that they leave with a memorable experience. Our associates are the greatest asset of the hotel and I am pleased to know that they did impress you especially during breakfast at Feast. Their effort deserved to be complimented when exceeding guests’ expectation.

Whilst it seems that you were overall happy with your stay we have taken your comments on board that we could do better in regards to the arrival experience. Welcome drink is served upon guests’ arrival, please accept my apologies if our Front Desk associates have overlooked on this.

Meanwhile I have also noted your disappointment on the condition of our room, rest assured we have taken the necessary action to improve for our guest’s comfort.

Many thanks for your valuable feedback and l look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

This hotel is so over-rated. The whole place is not being up-kept properly. There were litters all around. The buggy/bus service was slow and inconsistent. The hotel rooms are ridiculously scattered. I saw a big long snake crossing the road right in front of me!!! At that time when I was staying, there were some kind of a protest going on outside the hotel, something about staffs being dismissed. Anyways they were drumming away the whole afternoon.
The pool is so far... Jacuzzi is another corner... Service is not good enough.. Check-in was slow, I waited 30minutes.. At night I could hear the sound of the cricket outside, it was so loud I couldn't sleep at all until 3AM!

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, get the room facing the ocean, if you take the forest view, you are g...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jTwT

Dear jTwT,

Thank you for the time taken to provide us with this review.

It is regrettable that our service and cleanliness did not meet up to the expected standard. Please rest assured that I am working closely with my team and to improve the overall performance..

Shuttle buses are provided for the convenient of our guests to move around the resort. Guests are advised to contact our Guest Services when pick up service is required. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience encountered with the delay.

We are sorry to hear that you were not impressed with the check in process. It appeared that your arrival must have been just at that moment when our Front Desk associates were trying their best to get the room prepared for you. Having said that we do take onboard that this could affect the arrival experience of our guests and we sincerely apologize for your wait.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience encountered and thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Warm regards.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

After having stayed at Westin Resort, this resort feels very rustic and a bit run-down in comparison. I travelled with my 2 yo son and we dad, and we had a nice stay, even there were a few drawbacks.

We requested a room with 2 single beds, non-smoking, and close to the facilities due to the baby pram, and got a room with a double bed, the room smelled very smokey and it was situated far away. After a phone call to the reception, they rebooked us. Although our room was big, it was a bit old and run-down and it was located far from the main facilities. That's why they have a caddy service with pick up and drop off, which was a bit hassle from my point of view, but my son enjoyed these rides so it became his daily activities. The staff was helpful. My son forgot his teddy, and we got it shipped and delivered promptly (thank you). We spotted birds, monkeys and lizards, and my son loved it.

If you prefer a quiet, rainforest rustic kind of retreat, then this resort is for you. In terms of value for money, we got more value for money with our stay at the Westin Langkawi (same chain though).

There are steps everywhere (to the pool and the beach), so it's not practical to travel with a baby pram.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Dear Emilus,

Thank you for the time taken to provide us with this review.

I fully appreciate the points you have raised and would like to offer our apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

Guest’s comfort is our priority. Rest assured, my team takes personal responsibility in handling guest requests and provide alternative solutions to ensure expectations are met during their stay.

The resort is spread over 38 acres of land and movement around the resort is shuttled by buses for our guests’ convenience. Many guests enjoyed the ride.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Wmderful hotel with very engaged employees, they are really putting teir customer as first of their priorities.
facilities are wonderful.

Room Tip: It is better to take a partial sea view or in front of sea.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
sheratonlangkawi, General Manager at Century Langkawi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Fayez f,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our Resort in this review.

It is our pleasure to ensure our guests’ needs are taken care during their stay and I am glad that the effort is appreciated.

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day vacation at Sheraton Langkawi. We loved the property. The location of this resort is wonderful. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a Lanai room which was very spacious with a big balcony. All the amenities in the room were up to date. Yes, the room looked a bit tired. But we did not feel bad as it blended perfectly with the natural surroundings.

We had dinner at Captain's Grill and Spice Traders. Both restaurants served amazing food. Swimming pool was also alright. Staffs were also very helpful. We also loved the boardwalk.

Overall, it was a lovely vacation for us. This resort made us feel that we were staying at a bungalow in a tea garden, or in a forest which we thoroughly enjoyed. The location is very romantic, quiet and peaceful. A perfect romantic getaway for nature lovers.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms close to the lobby and away from Chime (bar).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sunniath P,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at our Resort in this review.

The natural setting of our Resort does provide privacy and relaxation that many guests enjoyed.

I am proud to read your positive review and happy to know that you left with good memories. Many thanks for letting me know of your pleasant dining experience at Spice Trader and Captain’s Grill. Compliments to our Chefs for the good food.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.