Being regular guests for weekend breaks at the Westin Macao and having stayed a number of times at the Westin Shanghai we arrived in Langkawi with big expectations - how disappointed we were when we left...
First the positive feed back. The rooms and the bathrooms are wonderful and the food is great. The pools are nice (the shades are not, more about that later) and the view unbeatable.
When it comes to service, management and utilization of fascilities we were at times shocked.
After check in we were told to go "over there" to find our room and left to fend for ourselves. As the hotel has 4 different blocks with 4 floors each (which of course we did not know) we didn't even manage to find the lifts. We duly went back to the reception to ask for help and maybe someone to show us the way to the room - only to be pointed "over there" again. We asked a guest we met in block 3 and he helped us figuring out where the lift was and which floor we have to go to. After finally finding the room the luggage arrived - the wrong luggage, it did not even have our room number written on the tag.
Reading beforehand on the website that there are Yoga lessons I called to sign up and booked the morning Yoga at 8:30am. Reception told me to be at 8:30 at the fitness center, fitness center told me to be at 8:30 at the jetty. I arrived at the jetty to find it unbelievable filthy - bits of food from the night before was strewn allover the floor area (the jetty is used for special dining events in the evenings). It has not been cleaned from the evening before. Meanwhile the Yoga instructor waited for me at the lobby... We managed to meet after all and the lesson was held outside the Spa instead.
I tried to get a Spa treatment list at the reception and was told to go to the Spa to get it. At the Spa I was told that they have only have one copy. Back at the reception I complained about the whole Yoga issue as well as about the failure to obtain any list only to be told "We only opened 2 months ago, the list has not come yet from the printer". Considering that this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel I could not believe what I heard - they have a business center which is equipped with a copy machine among other things.
My husband went to the Spa and came back more stressed than he was before. He choose one of the packages which is supposed to be 150min long ending with a scalp and neck massage. After less than 120min he was told - coming out of a hot bath - finished, you can go and was given his clothes. The massage to cool and relax him was skipped and he was told to leave.
All that happened within the first 24 hours of our stay. My husband then wrote a letter of complaint and we met one of the managers. He was not pleased to hear what we told him and the Spa treatment was not billed - not surprisingly my husband had no desire to go back to the Spa.
The next day we left the room at 9:30am. Coming back at 3:00pm it was still not cleaned. The last thing you want after a day of Yoga, beach and exercise is not to have even one clean towel in the bath room. We cleaned up ourselves and ordered fresh towels from housekeeping.
A warning about the parasols. One our first day we stayed near the rock pool/beach area under one of the thatch covered parasols. The next day we stayed at the area of the infinity pool under one of the fabric covered shades and got both badly burned at face, shoulders and chest. I remember thinking that it was strange seeing the position of the sun through the fabric of the parasol (thin and loosely woven) - I should have run...
Frankly speaking I don't think that service and management deserve 5 stars, neither do they deserve the name Westin. Staff and management are not active, they are re-active at best and mostly only "complaint" active. We asked our travel agent not to recommend the Westin Langkawi in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on private beachfront property with shopping malls in the vicinity and the jetty just a stone’s throw away, The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa perfectly balances the joys of nature and the spoils of opulence. With views of the sparkling Andaman Sea, the pristine jewels of nature can be enjoyed from the comforts of our elegantly designed 202 luxurious guestrooms and suites. Private Pool Villas boast state-of-the-art amenities, as well as the ultimate luxury of an infinity pool. Restore body and soul in the perfect retreat for sheer indulgence at the award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin™, the only Heavenly Spa in Malaysia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Langkawi Hotel Langkawi
- The Westin Langkawi Resort And Spa
- Westin Langkawi Resort
- Westin Langkawi Hotel
- Langkawi Westin