“The best hotel in Langkawi” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“The best hotel in Langkawi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Me and my friend have a wonderful stay in the luxurious, clean and very comfy hotel last week. We love the hotel's location, which is very near to the Jetty point where you can get easy transport from Kuala Perlis to the legendary island. Here is my experiance regarding this hotel.

Lobby
We reach the hotel around 3pm ,the lobby are very warm because of the it's special design, we'd been waiting quite some times to check in. We'd been told that our room are not ready because of the high occupancy the day before so we decide to go to the town to have our lunch, and the good manered receptionist promised me she will ring me once our room is ready. I recieved her call half and hour right after we step out of the hotel.

In the room
The hotel staff carry our luggage and lead us to our room, but unfortunately, they give us the single beded room, but I did book a double beded room, so need to wait untill we get our room, and we are very glad because this takes only few minutes.The room are spacious, we choose the sea view room so the view are superb! Nice balcony which is very comfy when relaxing there with a cup of wine. But we are dissapointed because there is no bathtub in our room and the waterflow of the rain shower is not consistent. The heavently bed are superb, we both have a very comfordable sleep The bathroom aminities are nice, we like the leaf shape soap, it is very special and hardly can be found at other hotels.

Breakfast
The hotel's breakfast is superb, that is variety of food to choose from, we are amazed by the "auto juicer" where the hotel staff put the halfed and pealed fruits such as oranges and watermelon into the machine, the fruit juice comes out automatically! We saw variety of breads, muffins, cakes to choose from, we found that thier waffles are very tasty.

We really enjoy our two nights stay in Westin Langkawi, even we encounter some problems during check in but the hotel staff had do thier best to overcomed it and we are very satisfy for everything in this hotel. The hotels staffs are mostly friendly, always with smiling faces and well trained which is very important for a 5 stars hotel. We'll comming back to this hotel again in the future for sure!

Room Tip: Choose the sea view room where you can get suprb sea view!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Chickh,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your stay with us. I do agree that the resort offers really amazing views and the natural surroundings makes one’s stay even more magical. I would like to thank you for highlighting our newly rejuvenated rooms, especially our signature Heavenly Bed, which definitely provides undisturbed sleep for a great night. I am delighted to hear your good words about our SuperFoodRx buffet breakfast. On another note, I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have experienced like an inconsistent shower flow and please rest assured that similar issues are not likely to happen again. It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us, and we look forward to your return.

MS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

My partner and I had a nightmare stay at the Westin Langkawi. After a bad start things only got worse. I had asked for a quiet room, but we found ourselves on a corridor surrounded by families with young children. Also, through our window we could hear the loud hip-hop music from the pool bar. After much argy bargy we did get to move to another room. And almost everyone we spoke to had also tried to move room.

Generally, the resort has been ruined by permitting the intrusion of lowest common denominator culture and behaviour. The worst offenders are Russian guests from the Far East, who are predominant. Forget about Crimea, Russia has already annexed Langkawi and it's always a problem when one ethnic group dominates a resort, but the Russians can be especially hard to live with. They are clannish, loud, rude and ruthlessly selfish about the use of common resources. But the hotel plays into their hands. For example, there is a gorgeous large pool at the rear of the hotel facing the sea. But it remains open 24 hrs so intoxicated Russian guys can jump in and out of the water 24/7, annoying everyone else. One evening a week the hotel holds a lovely pool-side barbecue for the evening meal. But guess what? Just by your table idiots are screaming and jumping in and out of the water, while you eat.
So to the food: there are two restaurants. One down by the shore and one inside which is a large self -service buffet. The outside restaurant is ok, but half or more of the wine list was not available and many items on the food menu were missing as well. When you question anyone about this the staff just shrug and say that sourcing stuff on an island is difficult. But how can a Malaysian 5 start hotel run out of chicken satay or beef Penang? Also the hotel rents out it's restaurant for functions so on two nights we had to eat at the bar cafe listening to horrible rap music. The alternative was to go and fight with Ivan the Terrible at the Buffet. The Malaysian staff were mainly very pleasant, but not trained to work at a 5 star hotel. Fortunately, there were some European and North American staff who pulled their colleagues up and could solve most problems. A couple of guys called Adam and Antonio were excellent and very helpful.

Another bug bear here is that the only free wifi is in the Hotel lobby, which of course was full of folks beavering away on their tablets. The business centre is only open on demand and it took about 15 minutes to get someone to come and open up. But that was a waste of time as the guest printer and internet were not working; just what you need when Air Asia insist you turn up with a pre-printed boarding pass. Generally I found the basic staff very good, but with poor English, but the reception staff were not very helpful.

Overall view is don’t stay here if you have any element of discernment or sophistication. British readers will know what I mean if I say that it’s like Butlins on the Andaman Sea. The German manager hid away the whole time we were there. Maybe he’s terrified of the Russians. I know I am.

Room Tip: Don't take the first one offered, avoid overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Philip L
Dear Philip L,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We regret that we were unable to meet your expectation during your stay at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. Please accept my sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. Although we do not want to comment on our guests staying at our resort we can assure you that the Russian segment is not at all our main clientel. We understand from your comments that you might not return but we hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

My wife and I have just spent a week at this resort after a trip to Australia and then 16 days touring New Zealand so we wanted place to relax and we certainly found we could do this at the Langkawi Westin. The staff were all excellent and very helpful. Everything was right for us from the excellent room, amazing buffet breakfast which also includes some sparkling wine and all the amenities.We were surprised by all the wild-life at the resort including, monkeys,(which gave us a show each day outside our room), eagles, birds including the Horn Bill and reptiles. We visited the Spa one evening and again our treatments and the staff were second to none. The shops etc are a short walk from the hotel but there is a shuttle to them twice a day or a short taxi ride. We would not hesitate recommending this hotel to people who want peaceful time.

2 Thank Malcolm B
Dear Malcolm B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and share your opinion during your recent stay at our resort. We are glad you had a great time in our resort and felt our facilities and services have impressed you, thus enabling you to reach your potential. It was a pleasure to have you with us. The entire team at The Westin Langkawi looks forward to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Overall a quality hotel that I have few complaints about, but beware, the location does leave you somewhat captive...

PROS
-Location on the beach
-Stunning infinity pool
-Very friendly and obliging staff
-Champagne available on the breakfast buffet!

CONS
-The hotel is miles from the action (ie. west side of the island

CONS
-The location is remote from the action

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave M
Dear Dave M,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am happy to know that you had enjoyable stay at our hotel and also our friendly associates. Not too forget our signature buffet breakfast with free-flow of sparkling wine. My team and I hope we have the pleasure to welcoming you again in the near future.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I just spent a week at this resort after travelling through Vietnam and Cambodia so this was our first real big resort on the trip after almost a month of travel. We were looking for some luxury and definitely found it at the Langkawi Westin. I would recommend any upgrade or inclusion of the buffet breakfast ...it is second to none ...I can't think of anything I couldn't get at this feast which also includes some sparkling wine in case you want to indulge or correcto. The resort is 5 star so I won't bother listing the amenities ...they have all of them. The wifi is excellent throughout the property but they do try to charge for room wifi ...you might find you roam on the network "Westin free" in your room, so try free first if you are shocked that the Westin is trying for a wifi money grab. The resort is large, set on a point of property at the end of a road with a world-class view...yet for 10 rigget (2 $CAD/US) or a 10-15 minute safe walk you will be in town at the shopping centre with access to ATM's, restaurants, duty free shopping including some nice wines from around the globe at good prices. We were happily surprised by all the wild-life at the resort including 2 types of monkeys, eagles, birds including the Horn Bill (strangest looking shore bird) and reptiles including a fairly large lizard and lots of geckos. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort and have only one minor complaint ...time for a paint job in room 3417!

Dear james g,

Thank you very much for your kind comments . I am very pleased with your overall satisfaction with your stay here at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. Appreciate your feedback recognising our luxurious resort and our location which is convenient to you and also your positive feedbacks for our SuperFoodRx buffet breakfast. It was our signature buffet breakfast with free-flow of sparkling wine which gives our guest a renewing breakfast experience. On the other hand, I would like to apologies in regards of room condition and I have addressed this with my team immediately. It was a great pleasure to have you amongst our guests and I hope that we may welcome you again if your travel plan bring you here.

grangemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The location of the Westin is stunning and a lovely resort for a relaxing holiday. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. We found the staff very polite and helpful at all times. The three swimming pools are great for both older and young alike and the sun beds are good quality with clean towels provided. If you like a beach holiday be aware that the sand is full of small shells and sore on the feet.
The food we had was of a good standard in both restaurants although a bit pricey. My wife requires gluten free food and the hotel were easily able to accommodate her.
You can eat out at the yachting club at Charlie's Place for half the price or go into the town for even cheaper, we didn't eat in he town but did in Charlie's Place which we found good.
Taxes are very cheap and fixed prices.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear jtatxx,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. We are glad you had a great time staying with us during your relaxing holiday and appreciate you encouraging remarks about our beautiful pools, nicely rejuvenate rooms, polite & helpful staffs and our food. It will be a pleasure to welcoming you again soon.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The Westin resort is a very nice resort, great rooms, restaurants and good views from almost everywhere. We stayed there for 3 nights and had breakfast all 3 days and had fantastic view over the sea all days, the restaurant have great large windows and also a portion where you could sit outside. The quality of the food is great, especially the breakfast with both international options. Fresh juice is squeezed every morning.

The location of the resort is away from everything else, all big attractions are 20-40 taxi ride away. (e.g. Cenang beach). The resort does have access to a tiny beach strip but there are much more nicer beaches in Langkawi.

If you are going to Langkawi to relax on a resort, spend some time at a nice and luxury resort and enjoy the sun at the swimming pool - you should go for this.

If you are planning to do some other activities such as water sports, then try staying at one of the resorts near Cenang beach.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HarisBh
Dear HarishBh,

Thank you very much for your comments. I would say that the views from ocean make your stay extra special with the magnificent sounds of the waves and the breath taking scenic view is to die for. I am happy to hear that our daily SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast exceed your expectation. The hotel is located in a very lively area in Kuah Town, with many local restaurants and shops, a marina next door and a jetty which brings more than 2 m passengers every year, while offering a very tranquil setting at the Resort being at the end of the road. When your preference is to be next to some local attractions I agree that you have other hotels to choose from, but necessarily not in a 5 star segment, specially not in Pantai Cenang. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.