“Birthday Celebration”

Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Potton, United Kingdom
“Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at the Westin from 13 - 23 February to celebrate my wife's 60th Birthday. We had stayed at Pelangi Beach Resort 10 previously to celebrate her previously significant birthday. Our preference would be for the Westin.

On our early arrival (about 11.00am) we were informed that our room was not ready, however efforts were made to enable us to get our before the usual check in time which they did. As we were staying for 10 day our room was up graded and we were on the 2nd floor at ground level over looking the gardens. On arrival in our room there was a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of wine, most welcomed.

The room was large and well decorated, with regular deliveries of bottled water. The hotel is in a glorious setting over looking the Andaman sea and many of the other Langkawi islands. The beach is made up of course sand/shells and the sea is not particularly clear. However this is more than made up for by the various swimming pools. Towards the end of our stay we tended to walk to the spa area which was very quiet and relaxing. At the he Spa pool you could have all to your self. In addition on ocassions there was entertainment from a troop of monkeys.

Breakfast was magnificant which a large range of hot and cold items, many being freshly cooked. The view from the restuarant was stunning, what a way to start the day. We spent Valentines Day evening with a buffet/BBQ meal around the swimming pool with wine included in the price. This was made more romantic with a power cut midway through the evening. The food was wide and varied in choice, well prepared and tasty, being prodimately fish based.

For my wife's birthday she was treated royally by all the staff, she had cake and candles delivered to our room, greetings card from the Housekeeping team, what a nice touch, a vase of lilies plus another flower arrangement. In the evening we had the Malaysian Buffet which was terrific. The staff also gave my wife another cake and they sang her Happy Birthday. The hotel staff certainly made her birthday memorable.

The hotel is away from any main attractions but this adds to its charm. A short walk away is the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club which is nice setting for an alternative eating and drinking venue or a short taxi ride in Kuah for local eateries.

There is some building work going on outside the hotel, a new conference centre, which gave some backgraound noise. During our stay the Breezes bar was being renovated which did cause some noise disturbance at times.

We would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

1 Thank billy1950
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear billy1950,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for this special occasion. I am delighted to know that both of you have enjoyed 10 nights stay here with us. I regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation in regards to early check in as we were running an almost full occupancy in February. It is great to know you have enjoyed our comfortable newly rejuvenated room. In regards to the beach, I do agree that the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach. I appreciate the highlight on our unique pools, I can say that the spa pool which sits next to the spa sanctuary allows you to enjoy some precious moment of serenity. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. I hope our friendly associates have placed in much effort and attention to ensure your stay with us is a wonderful and memorable one. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

MS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 4, 2014

A typical tropical beach resort. Lovely beach with memorable sunset moments. Well equipped rooms with sea views. Poor service though. Lunch orders took almost an hour to serve and no apologies offered. Check in took time. Such a beautiful location let down by not superb service.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Michaellimhp
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Michaellimhp,

Thank you very much for your feedback I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of our team. It goes without saying that we will retrain our associate who delivered inappropriate service standards to you. We truly appreciate your kind compliments about beautiful location and newly rejuvenated rooms. We will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I visited here with my boyfriend for a romantic break, we were taken by surprise as to how beautiful the location was when we walked in. The room was very nice with a little balcony. The whole venue is stunning and perfect if you don't feel like leaving the hotel.
Beautiful pools and the chance to walk down the long beach.
We hired a mini and toured the island which was fun too!
I would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a room on the 1st or second floor as the view is better
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scarlettdubai
Dear Scarlettdubai,

Thank you very much for your recommendations to others. We appreciate very much your encouraging remarks about our beautiful location, nicely appointed rooms, unique pools and private beach. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

In a vacuum, you could probably call this a good resort. But honestly, with all the great alternatives here in South East Asia, this was a real let down.

While I would suggest going to another destination such as Redang, where the beaches are better, or even Bali, Krabi, Ko Samui or Phuket over this island, if you do have to come here, the Four Seasons and even some cheaper resorts will offer you a more memorable experience.

The peppery itself is quite impressively sprawling. It's just had a renovation a few years ago and definitely feels fresh. Rooms are decent for the price you pay and very clean.

The problem is that the beach is horrid and service at this place is far far below 5 star levels on many counts.

We travelled here for a destination wedding to be held at the resort and were at first pleased with how the place looked as we got off our transport. But that's when the troubles began. Everyone in our group of 8 had to bargain with the front desk to get the rooms we actually booked. All of us were couples and had liaised directly with the hotel for our bookings requesting long beds, but we were all given doubles! I can understand if they maybe made one mistake, but all of us? Our other friends arrived later and had other problems checking in as well. Eventually we for our rooms but not without major guilt tripping. We did not want to be mean seeing how this was just the start of a destination wedding.

Service by the poolside later that day was also horrible. Staff were unhelpful to say the least. No one came round to take orders or serve, and you had to order at the bar. Once the food came utensils were omitted and then our coconuts arrived HOT. I can asked why this was the case and the server nonchalantly responded, "oh, we put them in the sun that's why."

The food at the restaurants is served at hotel prices obviously, which is fine, but the quality falls far below any standard you expect of a Westin. Even local food is shockingly made with little if any pride by the kitchen. The nasi goreng and char kway
teow are horrible. Stay away from them.

At least the wedding went well. And food provided that night was also passable. But again the service is neither cheerful nor helpful.

The one saving grace was the Heavenly Spa which was not too exhorbitant. Service was good and the masseurs went out of their way to ensure our experience went well.

Try the Four Seasons if you want to pay these prices or something else. You're in for mixed bag here.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Yung O
Dear Yung O,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I very much regret that we failed to deliver first class service to you. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention in regards to the service from Splash poolside bar and a retaining is underway to address your comments. I am also concerned to note that the quality of food did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. Your comments have been discussed with the executive chef to look for various ways to improve. On the other hand, thank you for your positive endorsement for the award winning Heavenly Spa and I hope our experienced Spa therapists have made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience issues you have encountered and I can only hope to receive another opportunity during your next stay in Langkawi.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Being a frequent 5 Star traveller, the flaws were apparent from the get go. Staff needs to be trained, there is too much inconsistency with those that take pride in their work and those that clearly can't be bothered. Be ready to fork out an average of RM 500 ( + 10% Service Charge for every little item) a day (for a couple) just on food on top of RM 1000/day for the room. Quality of food is pretty 'poor' for a 5 star hotel... Not to mention restaurant choices being that there's only 2 restaurants. Both restaurants menu choices are baffling.... From seafood to pasta to Thai to Malaysian. You basically can't order an entree with complimenting main options without crossing the seven seas. When a hotel can't get their local food right i.e. Nasi Goreng / Char Kway Teoh -alarm bells start ringing. Best bet is buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner?? I think not... But that seems to be the direction being taken. The hotel property itself is beautiful... Great rooms that are fully refurbed. But paying RM 68 + 10% Service charge for a burger?? Get real! Good luck flagging down a pool attendant for a cocktail as there's no buzzers on the pool lounges. Upon checkout when your bill is served... Will you be a repeat customer is the question??

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Keepinitrealz
Dear Keepinitrealz,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I am certainly disappointed to note that our customer service was not up to your satisfaction. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest but I am always thankful for comments so that we can learn and improve. I am also concerned to note that the quality of food did not meet your expectations. I have addressed this with our Executive Chef and will review and look for possible improvements. Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. I understand from your comments that you might not return but I hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Stourbridge
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had discussed what we really wanted for the last 2 weeks of our approx. 3 months 'world' tour. We needed to relax in quiet surroundings, in accommodation that was of a good standard,clean and comfortable, offering a beach as well as a swimming pool, and an excellent choice of food, either in the hotel itself or nearby.This the Westin provided. The choice for breakfast would, we believe ,satisfy any fairminded person's requirements in both quality, variety and of course, amount. We asked for grilled tomatoes on one occasion and these were provided within 10 minutes //.We did eat outside of the hotel during our 2 week stay. The Royal Yacht Club and restaurants in the shopping precinct and in Kuah,a £2 taxi ride away were fine.
But , above all, we will remember the attitude of the staff at reception, the concierge / luggage men, the cleaners, both inside and out, and not forgetting the waiters ;all were most courteous,very helpful in anything we requested (,even requests outside their remit.) .,nothing was too much trouble.and they had the time to satisfy your requests.

Room Tip: Tell those at reception what type of room you would prefer. We waited until day 2 of our holiday to...
2 Thank Don M
Dear Don M,

Thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa as part of your holiday destination. Your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. Thank you also for recognizing our signature SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. On the other hand, it is also very kind of you to mention our friendly and helpful associates. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! I am very pleased with your overall satisfaction with your stay here. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

West Sussex, UK
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Have just returned from The Westin Langkawi Resort who claim they are striving to offer 'a stay leaving you feeling well rested, well nourished and well cared for'. That is exactly what we got from start to finish. Our bedroom was well serviced and quiet. Our experience in all the restaurants, whilst not cheap, the quality of food is excellent. The staff in all departments are friendly, efficient and well trained, always striving to achieve more. The beach is cleaned every day by an army of sweepers, but the water is average. The pools are the best with views to die for. True there was some building work, but the staff are always concerned to keep the noise to a minimum and this did not detract from our stay. The management staff in each department are always visible and checking that all was well for us. We'd give it 10/10 and will hopefully return next year.

Room Tip: Block 1, third floor is good with views of gardens, pool and sea.
Dear 2Turners,

Thank you for writing this excellent review. At Westin, our goal is to make sure you leave feeling better than when you arrived. First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your faith in our resort and I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. It is a great pleasure to know that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay in our newly rejuvenated room. I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations and needs were met. In regards to the beach, I do agree that the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach. And I also agree with you our infinity pool offers magnificent views of the Andaman Sea and I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. We hope to see you again in the near future.