“Fabulous resort let down by mediocre food and maintenance issues”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here in January 2014 for 5 nights for a work conference. The nightly room rate was AU$260 inclusive of taxes and buffet breakfast.

The resort: The resort was beautifully landscaped with tropical plants, palms and flowers. The three pools were fabulous, although I spent all my time at the main pool. The children's pool was seldom used as was the artificial rock pool. I loved the swim up bar! Most of the lounges were occupied by around 11am, with a mix of Muslim couples, western couples and young families.

The beach itself was very quiet, as it's a private beach - there are no adjoining neighbours and it is not open to the public. The water itself was clean but very murky - you can't see 30cm below the surface. There were always plenty of sunlounges available. The view from the main pool was unbeatable - looking out over the infinity pool to the neighbouring off-shore islands was magic!

The rooftop bar was nice with a beautiful balcony overlooking the lush grounds. My only complaint was the awful awful awful singers they had in every night, from about 7pm - midnight - the trio did bad covers, and sounded more like karaoke than professional performers. The beachside bar (Tide Bar) offered a varied menu with western and Asian dishes. The food was ok, but not resort quality. The breakfast was bland - the yoghurt was awful. Most meals were priced around AU$20-$30 which is reasonable for a resort. Cocktails were AU$10, and only $2 dearer than a fresh juice.

The room: I stayed in room 2304 overlooking the main pool. It was big enough but was showing signs of wear and tear. The laminate in the bathroom shelves was peeling and flapping in the air, the bottom of the door frames had evidence of water damage. I'm guessing this place is around 20-25 years old. If you declined fresh linen and towels, you'd receive a RM$15 (AU$5) credit to use at any restaurant or bar - I put these towards cocktails!

The service: The staff at the front reception were fabulous and obliging. Unfortunately the staff at the restaurants were not - it's as if they were work experience students who had poor English and no idea of good service. They just went about their jobs doing the bare minimum.

The location: Located 1km from Jetty Point (where all the big ocean liners dock), there's really nothing to see in the vicinity, apart from the statue of the huge eagle. Taxis are cheap and readily available from the resort's concierge desk.

Overall experience: A lovely resort that needs an overhaul of the breakfast buffet (everything was bland) and more experienced wait staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool/beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AdsMan
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear AdsMan,

Thank you very much for the detailed review about your experience. It is very kind of you to highlight our unique infinity pool and Splash pool bar. No doubt that our infinity pool offers magnificent views of the Andaman Sea and I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere. In regards to the beach, I do agree that the area here obviously not blessed with the best beach. I have taken note on your comments of the food quality at the Tide, I will definitely pass them on to our chef and F&B team. I am certainly disappointed to note that our room was not up to your standard and will review them with my team to make necessary improvements. Please be rest assured we will also provide additional training to our team to ensure they improve in their overall delivery of exemplary service standards. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back for another occasion so that you could experience the resort as it was meant to be.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This Hotel is beautiful and the view is incredible!! The restaurants are divine, you honestly could not ask for more (especially with the buffet breakfast...WOW!)
We stayed in the Garden View room, our room was spacious and clean! The staff were helpful and the facilities were great. I did not want to leave that pool, it was so relaxing. We didn't go to the Spa, it looked beautiful but it was way too expensive.

1  Thank emdtravel88
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear emdtravel88,

Thank you very much for your warm words. I have to agree with you on the beautiful location and stunning view, a real retreat for those wanting to escape the city life. I appreciate your positive comments about SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and your satisfaction towards our venues. It also comforts me to hear that you have enjoyed our newly rejuvenated rooms. I am delighted to hear your good words about our service and facilities too. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for spa; please rest assured that we will review our pricing strategy continuously. It was a great pleasure to have you here with us, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

We have recently returned from a 14 night stay at the Westin Resort and Spa in Kuah, Langkawi. We arrived quite late at night and we were given a warm welcome and offered refreshments before being shown to our room which was a Superior Garden View room. First impressions were very good in that the room was clean with a good range of features such as dvd player, flat screen tv, tea & Coffee making facilities etc.

The rooms have recently undergone a full refurbishment and are bright, clean and well maintained.

The staff in the most part, were friendly and helpful, some more so than others but any requests that we made were dealt with efficiently and without any drama.

Food in the hotel although good, came at premium prices which deterred us from eating there frequently and we tended to eat at the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club which is a 5 minute stroll from the Westin.- highly recommended by the way!

The choice of dining options in Kuah we found to be very limited and we opted to take a taxi to Cenang where choice is better but not great compared to other Asian counties such as Thailand.

Langkawi itself is beautiful and the local people we found to be friendly and welcoming. Transport such as car hire or taxis are cheap and numerous so getting around the island is very easy.

Back to the Westin, although the hotel as recently undergone a refurbishment there are some areas of the hotel which have clearly been overlooked. By far the worse area we found was the pool areas, particularly the Rock Pool. As mentioned in other reviews left by guests, the sun loungers and umbrellas look very tired and are dirty and in some cases in need of repair. The cleanliness of the Rock Pool water was awful and it was like swimming in soup at times!

The infinity pool was better but again, is not given the attention with regards to cleanliness etc. as other public areas in the hotel.

This aspect was the most disappointing for us. Having been fortunate enough to travel extensively to this part of the world so we have experience of other hotels to compare it too.

positives for the Westin in our opinion are:

. Location and views from the hotel are wonderful
. Staff friendly and helpful
. breakfast is good with plenty of choice
. Rooms bright and clean with good facilities

Negatives for the Westin:

. Food and beverages very expensive due in the main to lack of competition from other restaurants local to the hotel.
.Pool areas not given the same attention to detail as other public areas
. Housekeeping erratic and inconsistent with the room not made up some days until after 5pm

In summary, we found the Westin to be a lovely resort and would recommend it to friends but it isn't a 5 star hotel compared to other places in this part of the world. It may be a 5 star in the context of what Langkawi has to offer but certainly not compared to 5 star hotels in say Thailand (the Four Seasons Chiang Mai being an obvious example that springs to mind).

Langkawi is beautiful and well worth a visit.

3  Thank Dangermouse64

Dear Dangermouse64,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am glad that you have enjoyed the arrival experience and I would like to thank you for highlighting our newly rejuvenated Premium Garden View Room. Thank you as well for your generous remark regarding our friendly and attentive associates. I have acknowledged your comments regarding our pricing and please rest assured that we monitor our prices on a regular basis. Concerning your comments about the issues regarding cleanliness in public area and the inconsistent service from our team, I am extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up to the high standards we have set for ourselves and I have shared your comment with our team in order to address all the shortcomings. I am very pleased to hear your standards being met with regards to hotel location, friendly and helpful associate, SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and newly rejuvenated rooms. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. My team and I hope we have the pleasure to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at the Westin for ten nights after spending three nights in Kuala Lumpur. This hotel was quite simply just rest and relaxation. When we booked we were told we had an upgrade to a garden view room but were over the moon to find we had been upgraded to a partial ocean view room on a high floor with fantastic views of the sunset each evening from our balcony ( and not sure where the "partial" came in!) The hotel has recently been refurbished and our room was extremely spacious, with modern white furnishings, a bed which could have slept four people!! And was so comfortable. We received complimentary water every day and our room attendant Haniati was brilliant and very friendly, even stopping for a chat when she noticed us in the local night market when she had a day off! Every member of staff was extremely helpful but I must make a special mention of Faiz Ashfaq, who is a trainee at the hotel and was particularly helpful to us during our stay - we wish him well in his future career - we are sure he will do well. The in room dining was delicious and we also dined at Tide and sampled snacks round the pool, all of which were delightful, if a little expensive - but it is a five star hotel so we expect the prices not to be cheap. The location of this hotel with its views over the andaman Sea and other islands of Langkawi was second to none and more than lived up to our expectations. Thank you Westin.

2  Thank richarl

Dear richarl,

Thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted you have enjoyed our newly refurbished Premium Partial Ocean View Room. I would say that the views from these rooms make for an extra special stay. Thank you for mentioning our friendly associates; they are the most valuable asset of our resort. I am pleased to know that your dining expectations were met and I am sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. I am always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, wonderful panoramic views of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and the endless stretch of the blue sky. I hope that we may have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We had booked for 10 days, but only stayed 8, as we island hopped over to koh lipe ( would totally recommend )

The hotel is lovely, it's what you wouldn't expect for a 5 star resort, clean and efficient,

Out room was 2404, great views and very specious for a family of four! Very comfortable beds & bedding's The bathroom facilities are great also
The only negative comment I can make is that the noise from the breeze bar at night is a little to loud and that the singers pro-forming are terrible .

The staff are all very friendly, especially the breakfast chef ( from northern island ) .

The pool & beach areas are lovely and well kept, it's also a nice touch you have a cold water dispenser near the rock pool, if I can make a small recommendation is that you could have one near all the pools,

We booked the mangrove tour through the hotel and it was the best tour we have done as a family in a long time, would highly recommend it to anyone.

We would defiantly stay again .

Stayed: January 2014

Dear Tammyjohnston84,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I appreciate your positive comments about lovely hotel and clean environment. It is great to know you have enjoyed our comfortable room and Westin Heavenly Bed, which is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. I very much regret that your stay was disrupted by the loud music from the Breeze lounge; I have addressed this with my team to improve it immediately. Thank you for recognizing the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. I have taken note on your suggestion to have water dispenser close to pool areas and will review the possibility with my team. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is a very high standard Westin, with a beautiful outlook across a bay giving out to the Andaman Sea. It’s about a 5-10 min taxi drive from the nearest town, where the local ferry terminal is located. The hotel is attractively designed, with classical Malaysian line to the central building. The rooms and villas are off as wings to this and encompass the grounds. The main pool is of a decent size and has a swim up bar. The kids pool is exactly that - sufficiently shallow to allow them to play freely, splashing around in the fountains. The rock pool is great. Though beautiful to look at from afar, the beach is not that great. The sand is very coarse (not much good for sandcastles, Dads!) intermixed with a high proportion of broken sea shells - tough on both the feet and knees. The slightly better sand is directly opposite the private villas. To note, the sea state can change very quickly from calm to strong waves, depending upon the state of the tide to the wind - so parents need to be extra vigilant.

When we stayed here, we had 2 adjoining rooms for a family of 4. I'm a Platinum Life SPG but as the hotel was full, no upgrades were available, so (reasonably) we had the rooms we had reserved. That said, they generously allowed us to stay on late in one of the rooms. Both rooms were the standard Westin rooms. They were of an adequate size, but looking rather tired and with eccentric plumbing. Neither had a bath - fine for toddlers but not so good for babies.

The breakfast was good – but nothing out of the ordinary though for a "luxury" hotel - offering a reasonable choice of quality foods. The food in the restaurants was somewhat disappointing in terms of the choice offered - being primarily Western (presumably because that is what many of their guests want) with a limited choice of local food. There was some overlap between the 2 restaurants. Once ordered, the food was of a good quality and generous in size. The prices were the usual "aggressive" resort prices - unsurprising given the very limited competition in the town. Bar prices were comparable with those back home in Singapore - albeit with less choice. The children's menu was fairly priced but unimaginative in terms of variety versus some other resort hotels.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Angliskai

Dear Angliskai,

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree with you that the location that our resort is located at provides a breathtaking and a very stunning view over the Andaman Sea. Our beach can be disappointing during low tide; unfortunately we were not blessed with the best beach on the island. Alternatively, resort features four unique pools option. I appreciate your feedback in regards to your dining experience which will help us improve on our service delivery to all guests. I am happy to hear that our associates were great, making you feel very well taken care of. It has been a great pleasure serving you and your family and we welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I went to Langkawi for 9 days as part of our honeymoon & we highly recommend staying at The Westin. It may feel like you're splurging but trust me it's worth it!

We love food so the breakfast buffet at the Seasonal Taste restaurant in the hotel was absolutely incredible! We'd have a big breakfast each day & not need to eat again until late afternoon.

The staff are so friendly & accommodating too which makes your time there relaxed & special. We lazed around the beautiful pools in the sun a lot sipping on piña coladas & other mocktails.

Overall, a beautiful, clean, friendly hotel to stay in that is in great range to attractions & food spots.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katey L

Dear Katey L,

Thank you for having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your honeymoon and for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone. We receive a lot of nice comments about our SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast and I am happy to know that it was up to your standards too. Also, many thanks for highlighting our associates and their services. I trust that they performed the upmost best in providing hospitality to all our guests. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed yourself by the pool with a shot of mocktail. Your positive comment has definitely motivated us to perform better. It was a great pleasure to have you with us; my team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another rejuvenating stay with us.