As we had our wedding at the Westin Langkawi in March of 2013, I have had a lot of interaction with this hotel as well as Langkawi in general. To make this review more accessible, I’ve split it into three sections; the hotel, wedding and event planning, and staff. This may seem extensive, but I found it really difficult to find up to date information when planning our wedding and if I can help anybody out there in the same situation, I’d like to.
While looking at properties to hold our wedding, we toured most of the 5 star hotels on Langkawi. The Westin is one of the nicer hotels on the island, being well situated near Kuah town for shopping and dining but in a separate bay from the town itself so that the beach area is very private. Other hotels on Langkawi may be more ‘private’, but are all long drives from any off-site activities. Further, the Westin is the only hotel on the bay so there is minimal boat traffic and no risk of parties from other hotels or on other beaches keeping you up at night.
The hotel has several classes of room, and with guests staying in almost every category of room we had the chance to experience most of them. The nicest room by far was the private villa, but it is really expensive. The other room classes were all very nice and what you would expect from a 5-star resort hotel anywhere in the world.
The grounds of the hotel are very well laid out, with several different pool areas including a quiet pool for adults and an excellent fun pool for children (my sister has 5 kids who never left this pool except for meals and the wedding). The beach area is well shaded and clean and the hotel has lots of watersports activities but we didn’t do any of these. The grounds of the hotel are large enough that it doesn’t feel crowded, even at full capacity, but small enough that you don’t need to wait for transportation to get from place to place (no golf carts!). All the meals we had at the hotel were spectacular, particularly our catered wedding reception.
Finally, the hotel also provides parking for guests. Having been to Langkawi several times, I would generally recommend hiring a car for your stay. You can negotiate a very reasonable price for a car on arrival at the airport (usually between USD 15 and 20 per day) and gas on the island is cheap and easy to find. Traffic on the island is negligible and a hire car will provide you the freedom to see and do whatever you like around Langkawi without having to haggle with drivers (and probably works out cheaper, depending on how often you want to get out of the hotel).
I’d also recommend taking one of the boat tours that go around to some of the other small islands near Langkawi if you have time. These tours are not too expensive and make for a really nice family or small group activity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on private beachfront property with shopping malls in the vicinity and the jetty just a stone’s throw away, The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa perfectly balances the joys of nature and the spoils of opulence. With views of the sparkling Andaman Sea, the pristine jewels of nature can be enjoyed from the comforts of our elegantly designed 202 luxurious guestrooms and suites. Private Pool Villas boast state-of-the-art amenities, as well as the ultimate luxury of an infinity pool. Restore body and soul in the perfect retreat for sheer indulgence at the award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin™, the only Heavenly Spa in Malaysia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, Cancelon, Ctrip TA and Hotwire so you can book your The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Langkawi Hotel Langkawi
- The Westin Langkawi Resort And Spa
- Westin Langkawi Resort
- Westin Langkawi Hotel
- Langkawi Westin