“A superb resort, wonderful staff, great food!”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for a week (a business trip) during the Langkawi Airshow. This hotel is a fully self-contained resort, with multiple swimming pools, lots of restaurants, and lots of available sports and recreation activities.

The food is awesome, whether it is the (free) buffet breakfast - available until noon hour every day - or room service, or one of the many different restaurants on the property.

Staff are really, really friendly and courteous, very guest-focused.

I had a little problem with housekeeping the day I checked in (room 1315), but the hotel staff fixed that problem quickly and enthusiastically. I was impressed with the effort that everyone made to correct the oversights and make sure I was happy with my room. Often, the true measure of hospitality is how well a team recovers from a problem, and certainly the Westin team gets full marks for customer care and problem-solving.

The hotel has both 'renovated' and 'legacy' rooms. Apparently the plan is to have all the rooms renovated by mid-2013. I stayed in a legacy room - the decor in the legacy rooms is quite pleasant. The renovated rooms are more in tune with today's fashions in colour, fabrics, etc., but the 'bones' of all the rooms are fully up to date. Personally, I would be quite happy to stay in one of the legacy rooms in the future - certainly everything that really matters (bed quality, bathroom fittings, internet, fridge, etc.) is identical in both old and new rooms.

The hotel is laid out in a large 'U' shape, with many of the restaurants, pools, and other facilities in the middle of the U. If it is important that you have a quiet room, ask for a room on the outside (rather than the inside) of the U. The rooms on the inside of the U have spectacular views, but light sleepers might be bothered by the sounds coming from all the activities on the inside of the 'U'.

All rooms have ethernet internet connections. The internet service is fast and consistent. WiFi is also provided throughout the property, but some rooms are located in 'black holes' of WiFi coverage. If this is important to you, check the strength of the WiFi signal in your room as soon as you arrive, and ask for a different room if you encounter any difficulties. The front desk staff will happily oblige.

All in all, a delightful week at a very nice resort, I would gladly return and certainly recommend this resort to others for either business or vacation purposes.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside of the U shaped building are quieter, rooms on the inside have better views.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear solotravellerCanada,

First of all I would like to convey my honored gratitude to you for sharing with us this detailed review. I appreciate your choice for choosing our resort for your visit here in Langkawi. I appreciate the highlight on our four unique pools, which consist of the main Infinity pool, the ocean rock pool and a kid’s pool. The fourth pool - the spa pool – which sits next to the spa sanctuary allows you to enjoy some precious moment of serenity. Your renewal experience starts in the morning with the signature SuperFoodsRx breakfast in Seasonal Tastes. In the afternoon, you can even Splash yourself by the pool with a shot of Mojito. Unwind, relax and enjoy the magnificent view while you bask under the sun. Your dining experience at Tide restaurant will be a mesmerizing one with surrounded by stunning sea view of the Andaman Sea and nearby isles. At night, guests can also soak up the serene atmosphere from Breeze, a great place to unwind with signature martinis and live entertainment music performed by the resident band. On the other hand, It is also very kind of you to mention our friendly and helpful associates. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! I am very pleased that things came around and that you are well taken care of by all our associates in the resort. As for the rooms, I understand that the rooms are wearing off. However, I am pleased to inform that our rooms will be undergoing further renovations that will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You! And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. My team and I once again thank you for your modest review on our resort. We look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We visited for our honeymoon in September 2012 and we had an amazing time. The resort itself is very luxurious - fab pool area - and we were even shown to our own private infinity pool by the spa by the manager (who drove us and picked us up each day on a golf cart) so we could relax in style and enjoy the peace and quiet! All staff were very friendly and helpful and they made sure we had a fantastic honeymoon and even left little surprises and treats for us in the room e.g. a flower petal bath & wine. The breakfast each morning was amazing, in fact so was the food every time we ate there - the beach side BBQ was the best!

It's in a great location for if you fancy a walk to the local harbour or even for exploring the island it's self ( definitely recommended!)

I cannot give enough praise to this hotel, I could literally rave about it all day long, we had a long honeymoon and visited Kuala Lumpur and Bali as well but this hotel and destination was by far the best! We would love to come back one day and re-live our honeymoon and thank you to all the staff for making it so special for us.

Room Tip: High floor sea view rooms are worth paying the supplement for
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IsobelFabio

Dear IsobelFabio,

Thank you very much for your time an effort in writing us the priceless reviews and having chosen The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your honeymoon. I am very much delighted to hear that you had an amazing time here and you enjoyed the spa pool which sits next to the spa sanctuary and it allows you to enjoy some precious moment of serenity. It is very kind of you to highlight our friendly associates. I am very pleased with their efforts in ensuring your stay with us is a wonderful one and I am also confident that they are willing to go the extra mile to exceed guest’s expectations. Also, thank you for highlighting our amazing breakfast. I have to agree with you that it is one of the best breakfasts one could have. Thank you for highlighting your fabulous BBQ dining experience too. Once again, thank you very much for you kind words. My team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another rejuvenating stay with us.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I booked seven nights at Westin Langkaui in March 2013 and the resort was everything promised by our travel agent. Beautiful resort, great weather and the staff were brilliant. Pricing for food and alcohol was comparable to Melbourne but you can get around that by picking up very cheap alcohol in the local supermarket for pre-dinner drinks in the room looking at the fabulous view. Many quality restaurants also in close proximity as well but opted to eat mostly in the resort as food was great.

Room Tip: Lost a lot of sleep to extremely noisy neighbours from Arab states who would argue till three in the...
1  Thank Chris G
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Chris G,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your wonderful experience. I do agree that the resort offers some really amazing views and the natural surroundings makes one’s stay even more magical. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations were met. Someday if you have any travel plans back to Langkawi, you can always visit our website which you will find the best available rates. It was a great pleasure to have you with us, my team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were staing a Westin Langkawi for 9 nights. The overral impression is good, but not perfect. Gorgeous view> but not dirty beach. Cleanliness of the room is not at the hidh level. However hotel facilities are good espessialy Andrea masseur, very good SPA, 3 swiming pools,
We want to THANK MARIA from reception. She is very attentive and friendly/ When i fell down at seasonal taste restaurant, she followed me to the hospitality/ SPECIAL THANKS TO MARIA

1  Thank Anaida A

Dear Anaida A,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I do agree that the resort offers stunning scenery, a great award winning Spa and unique pools, yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. I am concerned about the issues regarding our room cleanliness and the inconsistent service from our housekeeping team and have addressed this already with the department. I’m delighted to know that Maria’s personalized service was to your satisfaction. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I do hope that we may welcome you again at the Westin Langkawi.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Westin to celebrate our 25 years of marriage. The hotel and the staff were truely fabulous and we enjoyed every moment of our holiday. Our room had been fully renovated and had a beautiful sea view. The views are to die for! The room was clean, spacious and the heavenly bed so comfortable. The food in each of the restaurants was simply divine and this was most important as we are real foodies! I highly recommend the coconut prawns with mango salsa. Breakfast is a must catering for all tastes and the free flowing fizz an added luxury to start the day. We chose the Westin as it was close to the town and therefore we could go and explore the local restaurants too. Wonderland restaurant was great and The Cliff although 30minutes away by taxi had the most beautiful sunset with great cocktails and amazing food .( we even had royalty dining in the restaurant! )
The hotel arranged two trips for us. One jet skiing around the beautiful islands. Very nice but make sure there is no risk of rain as we did get caught out and it was a bit hairy! The second a day sailing on a beautiful yacht with kayaking including a barbeque and drinks. It was just great. Thank you Erica for making the arrangements. Oh and I spotted the monkeys as we were leaving for the airport! We both love sailing and made use of the hotels hobbie cats. The hotel pools are vey nice and the sun loungers comfortable and always plenty available. Thank you to all at the Westin it really was a first class holiday and we would highly recommend your beautiful hotel.

3  Thank Claire B
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Claire B,

Thank you for having chosen Westin Langkawi for your wedding anniversary celebration. We are pleased to hear our associates provided warm and caring service which was up to your satisfaction. I’m delighted to know that you enjoyed our newly renovated Premium Ocean View room. Besides, it’s great to know you have enjoyed our Westin’s signature bed. Heavenly Bed is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. Also, It is great to know that we managed to meet your dining expectations. I do also agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. We appreciate for choosing The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your stay during your travel to Malaysia, and our arms are always open to welcome you and your spouse back here in the near future.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Can't fault the bright modern rooms and great amount of space at the beach and pool area.
We booked an award winning hotel that was dearer than westin but checked out immediately as the rooms were dark and gloomy.
We were very grateful to change to westin as it was absolutely relaxing as I definitely do not want to worry about monkeys and bugs .
The restaurant was great in value for breakfast and dinners and snacks by the pool were fabulous
Service was attentive and friendly.
That's a holiday

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank SingaporeVirgo

Dear SingaporeVirgo,

First of all I would like to thank you your valuable and great review. I’m very pleased to hear that your stay with us was pleasurable. Your satisfaction towards our rooms, beach and pool area makes me truly happy. It is great to know that our Food and Beverage outlets managed to meet your dining expectations. it is also very kind of you to mention our friendly and helpful associates. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! My team and I once again thank you for your modest review on our resort. We look forward to welcoming you for another rejuvenating holiday.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The seaview is absolutely amazing with comfortable cushions to snuggle in for star gazing at night. Overall, service was good thought some furnishing needs some upgrading. Would certainly like to stay here again in my next visit to Langkawi,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Amberain,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for sharing your experience with others. I am very pleased with your overall satisfaction with your stay here at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. For 2013 we have as well reserved some funds to upgrade existing furnishings in public areas in addition to our room upgrade. It was a great pleasure to had you with us, my team and I are looking forward to welcome you for another renewing stay with us.