“Good Location”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 105 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights before going to Penang. The hotel has stunning views and we wish we had booked the sea view instead of the garden view. The rooms are clean, beds extremely comfortable and staff excellent.

We sat around the rock pool most days as it was quieter but I was disappointed with the actual pool as it could have done with a good clean especially the blue tiles. The large main pool was kept immaculate.

The hotel is quietly situated outside the town and although it is a bit of a trek we walked into town every evening for our meal and got a taxi home.

We would definitely stay here again if we visited Langkawi.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tazel
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Tazel,

Thank you very much for your honest review with our hotel. I appreciate your time and effort spent on sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to know that your expectations are being met whilst your week stay here at our resort. Also, I would like to thank you for highlighting our rooms, especially our Heavenly Bed, which I have to agree with you, are amazingly comfortable. However, I’m concerned about the issues regarding our pool cleanliness. I’m extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up to the high standards we’ve set for ourselves. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. Lastly, I hope that we will have the chance to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I loved everything about the hotel, the location, the facilities, the food, and the staff/service including the management.this one of best hotel i stayed in my life ,The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. My wife and I were on our honeymoon

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Almawardi,

I appreciate your kind review on our resorts facilities and services. It is very kind of you to highlight the location, facilities, and the cuisine of the resort. With that, I am very proud. Also, many thanks for highlighting out associates and their services. I trust that they performed the upmost best in providing hospitality to all our guests. I congratulate you and your wife, and we hope to welcome you back once more.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Overall, Resort had a very similar feel to the Westin Kaanapali (Maui) and Phuket.
Family of 5 - stayed in a 1 bedroom villa (renovated). WOW. What an experience - private pool, HUGE bathroom, essence oil with candles, oceanview and seconds away from the beach, surrounded by nature (with a family of spectacled leaf monkeys up in the trees!).
Food was excellent quality and taste and good variety - my wife had to seek out the head chef and pass the message on personally! Spa water provided in the lobby was just heavenly (wish we could have our own mini jugs in the villas!)
Kids had a blast at the kids club and the recreation centre - ping/pong, pool, tennis etc.
They had a good selection of Mojito's (which my wife loves!) and the bar by the main pool played some excellent "jams" (i.e. music!).
Finally the staff: Jana, Josepth and the rest of the crew were simply wonderful, friendly and very quick and responsive to our needs.
I would highly recommend a stay at one of the villas if possible - you won't regret it! It made what would have been a good experience very, very special: my 9 yr old daughter asked why we can't just continue to live there (because daddy has to work!)
Highly recommend the 3 or 4 hour Jet Ski Mangrove tour - it was a blast and an experience we won't forget for awhile!
Downsides: not a lot, but (a) some rooms have not been renovated, so are a bit dated. (b) No coconuts! (I can't understand why in a resort that has coconut trees I can't get served coconuts!) (c) Water activities a bit limited to kayaking and sailing. Hotel could provide more variety. (d) Tennis court fence didn't have a wall to practice solo). These are relatively minor gripes, so let these hold you back.
SPG Platinum member

Room Tip: Villas are excellent for families or couples. Try to get a renovated one
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Heise R,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. I do agree that the renovated one bedroom villa is indeed magnificent and the natural surroundings around the villa make one’s stay even more special. I appreciate your highlight of our villa’s features as well as the dining experiences you had. It is also great to know that your dining expectations are met and I’m sure the chefs are pleased to know that as well! It also comforts me to hear that your kids had an enjoyable time at the Kid’s Club and recreation center. Not to forget, it’s very kind of you to also mention our wonderful and professional associates! I’m sure they have placed in much effort and attention to ensure your stay with us is a wonderful and memorable one. They truly are the heart and soul of the resort! However, with regards to the downsides of your comments, I have personally taken notes on them and will look into it as promptly. It has been a great pleasure serving you and your family and we welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Lovely hotel with great views, very friendly and genuinely helpful staff. I couldn't fault it.

We decided to save a bit of money and choose a garden view room instead of a sea view room as we figured we wouldn't be in the room very often. A sea view room would have been gorgeous, waking up to that view of a morning, but we didn't regret our decision to book a garden view room.

The spa was lovely but my therapist had a cold, which I seemed to have when I arrived home a couple of days later - otherwise excellent. I'd certainly like to be there right now.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Jayne J,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your warm words. I’m always proud to agree on the beauty of the resort, spectacular location and stunning scenery, yet we’re just few minutes away from the main town. Thank you also for highlighting the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. I always think that they’re the most valuable asset of our resort! Besides, thank you for your compliments about the award winning Heavenly Spa. I hope our experienced spa therapists made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. I’m truly sorry that you seemed to have a cold too, please accept my sincere apologies. Thank you for sharing your valued opinions with others. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel met our expectations. Attentive service (most of the times).
When we checked in the front dest didn't ask and assigned us queen sized one-bed room. We didn't quite notice until late in the day had to change room the next day.
There is a quiet private beach. It's nice for sitting around. The sand is not very fine and the bottom becomes mud a few meters into the water line. So the water is not clear.
Good pools.
Close to the jetty.

Room Tip: Do tell the front desk what kind of bed you want if you have preferrence. The don't ask.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear mh001,

Thank you very much for your priceless feedbacks. I’m pleased to find that your expectations on this stay were met. I’ve also looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and sincerely apologies for the shortfall. . We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach. And although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 7 wonderful days.
And we still have only positive memories about this hotel.
Just like on the picture! The rooms are large, baths are equipped with modern technique, everything is new and function good. The all pools are large and incredibly beautiful. The only negative thing, guests occupy sun beds by the pool early in the morning and almost impossible to find a free.
Fitness room equipped very well. You can rent bikes, etc.
First of all, the staff incredibly attentive and friendly, especially in the main restaurant and bar in the hotel lobby, you will not notice any flaws in this hotel, due to staff.
The hotel restaurant prepares excellent food, good wine selection. Breakfast is great! In general, within 7 days of our stay in the hotel, we didn't want to go out for the territory (except for excursions, which we had booked at the hotel tour desk).
In the evening in the lobby bar, singing trio of remarkable singers, can sing a song in order, if requested).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mik D,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others and for your warm words regarding your stay. We really appreciate your positive comments on our nicely appointed rooms. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. Concerning your comments on sun loungers were not available; I can say that we do expect a good amount of new sun loungers in early March, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience. I’m very pleased to hear your standards being met with regards to our WestinWORKOUT, recreation facilities, cuisine, as well as attentive and friendly associate. Furthermore thank you for mentioning our Breeze Lounge which offers a relaxed atmosphere with live music, the perfect combination for a nice evening. My team and I would hope to have another opportunity to welcome you here in order to restore your faith in delivering a great overall service to you.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Having stayed at many Starwood hotels in the Asia Pacific region, the Westin Langkawi is definitely the worst.

Upon check-in, the front desk associate's attitude was not friendly and polite. It took him about 10 minutes to find my booking (I booked it through spg.com). In addition, he gave me the worst possible room in the entire resort. The room was in a far corner overlooking a swamp, and smelled as if an animal had crawled in there and died a slow death. Upon complaining to the front office, I was switched to another room. The door of the room has cracks all over it, I found a dead fly on my unused bathroom towel and the wine in the minibar has already been opened by the previous guest.

Whoever the owner of this resort is, there are some serious renovations and restoration which need to be done before the 5 star rating or even the Westin branding can be justified. Please consider this in your capital expenditure budget!

I will not be staying at this hotel ever again, and will definitely inform my friends that they will be wasting their money and time here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nikki Y

Dear Nikki Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated and it goes without saying that it is very much embarrassing to read your comments. I do want to sincerely apologize for your experience whilst your stay here at our resort. Please rest assured that all points are being taken and addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. We are regretful to have not been able to meet your expectations. Also, we are actually in the midst of renovating our rooms. The finished look of refurbishment will reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. I realized that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi, and maybe try our newly renovated rooms.