11 people are viewing this hotel
Expedia.com$163
Priceline$163
Hotels.com$163
3,996 results
All reviews tide restaurant breeze bar seasonal tastes yacht club heavenly bed infinity pool bedroom villa ocean view kids club jetty point private beach main pool buffet breakfast an upgrade andaman sea ferry terminal eagle square
Selected filters
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a difficult review to write. Our initial impression, when arriving very late, started well at reception, felt a little less so once in our room and then over the stay went up and down a little like a roller coaster.

We apparently had a renovated room, nice in general, however the in-room safe did not work and the fridge actually warmed drinks rather than cooled them. We rang the front desk and the safe was fixed and the fridge replaced quickly. Although the fridge never really worked throughout our stay - a factor of the cabinet design not allowing these small bar fridges to work as they should due to heat build up.

So here are our highlights, good and bad:

The Pros
The staff were fantastic in general, if we had a problem someone would quickly attend to it, the service in the restaurants in general was high class, the front office staff always addressed our questions quickly, the staff in the kids club were great and worthy of special mention as do the pool bar staff. Our room was generally fine (other than the above comments) and if you have a choice, get one with a balcony - we did not do this due the the price difference at the time and over a few days this did start to make a difference and by the end I would have happily paid the additional amount to have one as getting around the pool was a little difficult - see The Cons.

Breakfast quality was very good, the selection was a little less than one might expect and did not fairly cater to the guest demographic, however we appreciate the cultural foundation of the resorts location. The food in all outlets was of very high quality.

The band and the staff in the lobby bar were great and we thoroughly enjoyed an after dinner night cap there every night of our stay, again praise for the staff.

The Cons
There were many tiny little things that were just not right, each irrelevant and not noteworthy in isolation, but overall just a little too many over a 6 day period.

The property, although being slowly upgraded, feels tired, this will change over time I'm sure.

Number greatest problem requiring attention- there are not enough lounge chairs around the pools. Watching quite a few altercations between guests, and hotel staff were at times also involved, this was a major issue. Guests wishing to enjoy what is a very nice pool area were getting annoyed and visibly upset due to inconsiderate and plainly ignorant selfish morons thinking it is ok to 'reserve' a pool lounge and leave it unused literally for hours (in some cases 90% of the day), until the same moron felt like a quick dip and 10 mins of dry off time before going off and again leaving it 'reserved' and unused - a significant pet hate for me and one easily fixed by hotels and resorts if they wished to - like 'no reserving' rules or 'personal belongings safely stored if left unattended for more then 30 mins".

We were there in peak time (arriving 1 Jan), this means high (basically 100%) occupancy and high prices - having worked in hotels and hospitality, these peak seasons allow for higher pricing which should partly also provide for additional staffing to accommodate more guest, this did not really appear to be the case, great staff just not enough of them. So paying higher for effectively less service was the general feeling we had.

All in all the Westin is fine - again not really disappointing - but just not quite there and the pool bar staff were my personal saviours during the stay - thank you all.

The resort has everything a 5 star resort should have, there was just something missing that would not really convince us to come come back - considering what we paid there are many other options to consider within the region and on Langkawi.

For all the good things the resort had and could offer we will leave the Westin Langkawi to the lounge chair hording morons and those "tourists" with more money than class for now.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, ask about the in-room bar fridge efficiency.
Date of stay: January 2013
4  Thank RB_TheWiseTraveller
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear TheWiseTraveller_RB,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Firstly, I would like to convey our sincere apologies for all the unfavorable experiences that you’ve encountered during your stay. I acknowledge your comments regarding the situation at the pool area and issue in your room. Please rest assured that all points are being addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. Nevertheless, I would also like to thank you for your generous remark regarding friendly and helpful associate as well as our cuisine. I realize that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night, but because of a late departure to KL could use the facilities of the hotel for the whole day. Perfect rimflow swimmingpool. Large enough for some exercise, but also easy acces to the poolbar! We choose the renovated rooms, altough we were upgraded to a larger room (with balcony, sea view and bath &shower). But i liked the renovated rooms more. In the end you spend most of the time outside the room. Service at reception was perfect, that also counts for the different restaurants. Stayed here with much pleasure!

Date of stay: January 2013
1  Thank IdB11_NL

Dear irene2013,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our resort’s swimming pool, newly renovated rooms, and perfect service. I’m pleased to hear your standards are being met with regards to our facilities as well as services. I would say that our associate tries their utmost in creating a memorable stay for our guests. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We wanted a really special destination to get the whole family, who live at opposite ends of the world, together for Christmas and the New Year, and also to celebrate my mother's 80th Birthday and my sister's 50th. We chose the Westin in Langkawi and it more than delivered on every front.

Firstly, the Westin is in the most stunning location, sitting in a private bay that looks out towards a group of uninhabited islands rising from the ocean, and surrounded by nature, wildlife and space. Secondly, despite the hotel and villas being booked almost to capacity, it was wonderfully quiet and peaceful, and we often had the beach entirely to ourselves. Thirdly, the service and attention to detail, and the real warmth extended by all the staff was truly exceptional.

We stayed the first week in the resort's 5 Bedroom Villa which has been beautifully designed and offers every luxury, superb views, real privacy and unbelievable spaciousness. For the second week, we moved to some of the 1 Bedroom Villas on the beach, which also offer a quality and spaciousness rarely available.

The management team and our butler, Joseph, greeted us on arrival and from that moment, everything, literally everything, was taken care of. In addition, there were many occasions when we were truly overwhelmed by their thoughtfulness, and what they did for us to make our stay truly memorable.

The Westin has got it absolutely right when it comes to the cuisine. Chef Chandran makes it his personal mission to calmly oversee the entire culinary experience and to get to know his guests. We ate at both the buffet restaurant and the signature restaurant, and also had-in-villa dining ... it was all excellent.

Highlights are the incredible welcome we received, our Christmas Eve Night at the 5 Bedroom Villa, the New Year Celebrations, and our trip out on the resort's cruiser, "Freedom".

The Westin has something for everyone ... superb accommodation, a top of the range spa, tennis, squash, swimming pools, boat trips, excursions, nature, peace, tranquility. And when you add to this, the wonderful staff who do everything you could ever want to make your time perfect - and then go and do even more - you are assured of the trip of a lifetime.

7  Thank Sophie P
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Sophie P,

Thank you very much for your time and effort spent to write these priceless feedbacks. I’m truly proud and pleased that my team has managed to meet your and your families expectations and that all of you left satisfied. This is what makes our day. I know that our staff definitely do their very best and go the extra mile just to ensure our guests have an unforgettable experience. Thanks for mentioning them and to highlight a few of them in person. They are truly the heart and soul of the resort. I’m delighted to know that the entire family has enjoyed their stay with us in our spectacular villas. Our villas are fantastic as it combines modern amenities with unparalleled peace, which are equally suited to tranquil family vacations. Not to forget, I will have to agree with you that with breathtaking views accompanied with luxurious accommodation make a perfect day, and a perfect stay, you are so right. Thanks as well for mentioning. Once again, we truly appreciate your highlighting on our services, cuisines, facilities, our Freedom boat as well as the New Year’s Eve Celebration with our traditional great fireworks. I’m very pleased with my team’s effort as well as your memorable stay with us. It was a great pleasure to have you here with us and I hope that we can welcome you again. It was a pleasure serving you.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Everything is fairly easy going at the Westin in Langkawi. The welcome could be a bit friendlier and right off a 12 hour flight from a cold UK, followed by another hour long flight, arriving in a red hot Malaysia a complimentary cold drink might have been nice, but over-all this is a good place to stay.

Make sure you get breakfast included in your price as it is GOOD! the pools are fantastic, There is even a very quiet pool by the spa which no one seemed to use and a fantastic rock swimming pool with fountains which the kids spent three days in.

Beds are comfy, sheets are soft, we had a great shower and separate bath. The rooms are quite quiet - unless you are on the main corridor from the reception which would be anything but quiet (so...avoid).

They don't tell you - but there is a free cocktail or mocktail at the main bar (Breeze Bar) each evening, so tootle on down. And when we were there we had a free room upgrade (it may be a deal as we booked through Trailfinders).

The hotel was (quite) happy to accomodate us arriving 5 hours before we could check in, but the welcome was a little lukewarm if we are honest.

Just down the road (10 mins max on foot, past the Royal Yacht Club) is a bustling spot by the giant Sea Eagle. If you want some authentic Malaysian food at authentic prices, you can find it there. The locals were friendly, the food was spicy and delicious and it cost about the same as a can of coke at the hotel to feed a family of 4 (seriously).

Would we go again? We'd go again tomorrow; definitely.

Room tip: We had a garden deluxe room in which were two double beds. As a family of 4 we had to share and it was a bit much. When booking as a family (of 4) ask for a room which could accommodate a spare bed and get one put in. Avoid the corridors by the main reception.
3  Thank Willberto

Dear Willberto,

Thank you for spending some time to write these valuable feedbacks. I’m very pleased to hear your standards being met with regards to our cuisines, Heavenly Bed, as well as facilities. On another note, I’m truly disappointed with regards to our teams’ friendliness. Rest assures that your comments are being addressed within the team and precautions are taken. We convey our sincere apologies for your bad experience. It was a great pleasure to have you with us. My team and I would hope to have another opportunity to welcome you here in order to restore your faith in delivering a great overall service to you.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I celebrated the wedding at the Westin in Langkawi. It was fantastic. The staff was very helpful to accommodate all our needs and the ceremony and dinner were beautifully organized. We constantly had 5 staff around us available for any issue or request and they contributed to make our day amazing. The room they gave us was amazing and It's a great hotel that I recommend to anyone. Definitely worth the price!

1  Thank alessandra m

Dear alessandra m,

Thank you so much for choosing The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your wedding celebration. My team and I congratulate you and your husband once again. We are very thankful for your feedbacks and I’m so pleased to know that your expectations and needs were met. I would say that our associate tries their utmost in creating a memorable and amazing wedding. And a special thank you for your recommendations towards The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa. My team and I are really grateful for your comments and we wish to welcome both of you again for one of your anniversaries or any other occasion