“This is worse than 3 star hotel”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We came here with the family for a Christmas vacation with two rooms on 3rd floor supposedly the newly renovated wing.
First of all the rooms are very dirty. Stains in washroom, floors, desks and even the linen and TV. Like the other commentor we had slippers in our room and despite asking for new ones they were very obviously reused slippers with feet and black marks on them. They also took forever to come change my linens after my complaints.

The renovation work was also very bad and u can see many untouched up spaces. Shower water is also very weak.

In addition the phone on our room was broken and despite calling the technician they were unable to fix it.

I have travelled quite frequently in Asia and generally stay at 4 to 5 star hotels. As a basic requirement I expect the rooms to be clean! The hallways also smell awful.

For the price I would go elsewhere. I have stayed at other Starwood hotels. This place is 3 stars at best. Go elsewhere!!

• Stayed: December 2012
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear CZHK,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. I’m concerned about the issues regarding our room cleanliness and the inconsistent service from our housekeeping team. I’m extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up to the high standards we’ve set for ourselves. Also, I’ve taken note of your comment on new room condition. Please rest assured that all points are being addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. I realize that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We were there at The Westin for 3 nights, in early november 2012. We certainly had a great time there. The service was second to none and the bed was so comfortable. We were in rebak Island resort A Taj Hotel, for 2 nights prior to coming here and rebak is a dump compared to Westin. (see my comment on rebak).

The breakfast was very delicious and I have no hestation to recommend to friends and families. I know where to stay at my next visit to langkawi.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear asa97,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and for sharing your Westin experience with others. It’s great to know you’ve enjoyed our Westin’s signature bed. Heavenly Bed is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. Thank you also for highlighting about the varied array of SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. Your highlight on area of satisfaction towards our accommodation and services is truly appreciated. Thanks for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone! It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed in the Standard Room Private Balcony W/garden View (SPG). 2 rooms 1 night, mid-December. Travelled with parents, wife and son.

Here's my breakdown:

The good:
1. The property is huge and very well planned. 3 swimming pools, impressive lobby, well maintained, and good views of the sea.
2. Welcome drink at check-in.
3. Good location, near Kuah - if duty free and food is what you're after, beside Jetty as well.
4. Family friendly especially for the children.

The not-so-good:
1. Check-in time is at 3pm. Despite coming at 4pm, only one room was ready. Come on, you don't expect that to happen for the price you're paying.

2. Housekeeping & room disaster:
a. No complimentary newspaper.
b. Smelly towels (smelled of damp sweat)
c. No hair dryer
d. No creamer
e. No batteries in the fan remote control
f. TV remote control battery cover was broken
g. There were sand on my bed sheet
h. Called Express Service to change my bed sheet and get me my hair dryer. Called twice - no pickup!
i. There were ants on the reading table
j. There was no floor mat
k. The slippers had obvious signs of being re-used

3. I'm pretty sure the block I stayed in was newly renovated which was great (rooms 3000 series) but the GM has to really go in and run a QC on the renovation quality. Upon entering there is an industrial smell from probably the glue or paint. The plaster finishing on the tiles and walls really needs some tidying up. There is accumulated dust from the drilling on the door hinges, and switches. The wardrobe glass door also needed some good cleaning, plaster marks were visible.
4. The Hansgrohe Heavenly Bath was as expected, the only thing that needed work on was the water pressure. Not as strong as other Westin properties. The water temperature was also not stable.
5. Again for the price paid, please get an Ipod docking station. Cheaper Starwood properties even have them.
6. The beach is not as good as the ones in the north of Langkawi (ie. Andaman).

Previously stayed in the Andaman and thought of trying the Westin Langkawi. Personally for the price paid at the Westin and what was received/experienced, I would rather go back to the Andaman despite it being secluded.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Teh_Ais

Dear Teh_Ais,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. We really appreciate your positive comments about resort environment, location, swimming pools and refreshing welcome drink. On another note, I’ve looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and sincerely apologize for the shortfall. I acknowledge your comments regarding room not ready on time, room cleanliness and facilities. Also, I’ve taken note of your comment on new room condition. Please rest assured that all points are being addressed within the team and precautions are taken that similar incidents are not likely to happen again. I realize that your faith in our service capability might indeed be shattered, but I would be thankful if you would give us another opportunity to be of service to you on your future travels to Langkawi. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you’ve experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We booked 3 rooms and stayed there for 3 nights in mid-December based on strong recomendation by my sis-in-law. This trip to Langkawi would be her 3rd stay at Westin Resort and Spa. She even bought a few box of chocolates and presented to the Reception as token of appreciation from her previous positive experience at Westin.

Good:
a. Ambience of lobby was nice
b. Sense of security is felt as there's security at hotel entrance
c. Refreshments provided complimentary to guests at lobby
d. Swimming pools were great so is the view
e. Conceirge was welcoming and helpful
f. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows had this nice scent to it

Needs improving
a. Check-in was not prompt even at 4pm. We were only given 1 room. We decided to leave the Hotel for late lunch
b. The menu for breakfast was almost the same for whole time we're there. Not much variety although it was delicious
c. Some staff could be more smiley especially housekeeping and the restaurant service staff
d. The ceiling fans, though new, need better quality control as it kept changing its speed on its own
e. To review the set-up of the balcony for garden view rooms as a lot dried leaves fell from the trees and make place un-usable
f. No complimentary newspaper were given to our rooms till we reminded Reception. Given on the 3rd day of our 4D3N stay

Not sure whether we will stay at Westin again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in Block 2 and 3 which have undergone renovations.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear miafarik,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our resort during your trip to Langkawi Island. Appreciate your kind words on lobby atmosphere, refreshing welcome drink, swimming pools, helpful associate and comfortable Heavenly Bed. We also appreciate your comments regarding the other areas of concerns you mentioned and thank you for allowing us to learn from your experience. I’ve taken note of your comment on delay in check in, breakfast menu, room facilities, room amenities and attitude of associate. Please rest assured that we will review and improve it immediately. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you’ve experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Sometimes all you need is a time of your own. No work (dump that BB/ iPhone), no interruption, whatsoever, just ME and my little ME-time. Packed with me are my books, swimsuit, flight ticket to Langkawi & a per-booked room at Westin - yes, that is what I'm bringing for the 2 nights stay (aside from the necessity n money of course..:)
Day1 - Checked-in, went straight to hotel room and nap on my favourite Heavenly bed for the next 2 hours - I wished I slept longer. Whip out my long-forgotten-storybook and laze by the pool and took a dip. Staff was giving away fruits by the pool - i swear the starfruits tasted much more jucier than those back home - or probably just because you were being pampered...hehe... Timing was perfect as it was almost sunset - the view was simply stunning. Nothing could be more relaxing than watching the sun goes down while being surrounded by nature - the greens, water, earth, the sky....it's a feeling of self-healing...Try this wen u are there (almost close to sunset): Lean at the front edge of the pool, take a deep breath, see afar and watch the sun & sky work it's magic...Priceless...
Day2 - Woke up early to my favourite seat for breakfast - outside at the balcony. Westin is being surrounded by nature. Siting outside in the morning has always been my favourite. You get to smell the morning grass, morning dew and light breeze...there wasn't much people when I was there so waiting for the freshly cooked omelette was easy...breakfast spread was mostly similar to most hotels - from bread, cereals, eggs to desserts. What I love most is actually their tea - they served Jing tea (I deserved a good cup of tea aside from the regular Dilmah) These are some of the signature moments I remembered each time I stayed in Westin. :)
Took a stroll out from the hotel, brought along my left over bananas from breakfast and feed the monkeys while walking out - pls caution that It is NOT advisable to feed the monkeys to avoid any unnecessary screaming moments. (I fed them by throwing the fruit as far as I can and ran...)
After meeting up a few friends which I've made during my past visits, went for a mangrove tour that the hotel has conveniently arranged. The mangrove tour was perfect! The boat ride brings you deep into the nature and there would be visits to Kelongs where you get to feed the fishes. It was like a National Geographic moment - feed the weird looking fishes, eagle-watching, monkey-feeding...experiencing nature first hand that is unavailable anymore in modern cities.
Mangrove tour was great which has been topped off by a great spa right before dinner.
Aaaah so perfect, no phone calls, no hiccups, just me & pampering me...and I get to share this with my fav hotel in Langkawi, Westin.
.....My stay may be short but it was definitely a well deserved stay and experience I need so, thank you Westin...I'll be back...again....:)

Room Tip: Sea facing for a wonderful view. Garden facing for a quieter room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nora_Devilicious

Dear Nora_Devilicious,

Thank you for your loyalty to Westin Langkawi and for this positive detailed feedback about your Westin experience. I’m happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Reading your personal experience its like diving into another world and its so true. The nature is a key element around the resort and while those moments are getting less and less in our hectic world its so good that places like this exists. Your highlight on area of satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. It was a great pleasure to have you with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Langkawi on your future visits to Langkawi Island.

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Beautifully friendly staff who will meet your every request and there are so many you are bever left waiting. Definitely worth paying for! Pool is amazing and there are so many things to do like kayaking for only $5. Especially nice is the refreshing elixir drinks (cinnamon apple, citrus and lemongrass and ginger) which are iced and always available to pour yourself near reception!
Rooms are massive and look out across ocean.
Meals can be quite expensive here but a cheap cab ride will get you into town.
Overall excellent!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear 018Simone,

Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. It’s very kind of you to highlight our attentive and helpful staff and I’m very pleased to know that you felt well taken care of. I do agree with you that our pools are amazing and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. We really appreciate your positive comments about refreshing welcome drink and our nicely appointed rooms. I acknowledge your comments regarding pricing for food & beverage and I’ve addressed this issue with our F&B team. Please rest assured that we will review our pricing strategy continuously. Your valued comment is the intrinsic motivation that encourages us to improve our services continuously. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I can't wait to come back to this place. My last visit to Westin Langkawi was a pleasant one. The check in was a breeze and the room is spacious and spanking clean. Upon entering the room, we were greeted with nice fresh scented smell and on the table was a basket of fresh fruits and chocolates. I remember that I had a wicked migraine that day but it felt instantly better when I stepped into the room.

I enjoyed myself there and I still cannot forget how comfortable the bed was.
I recommend this place highly. Good service, excellent pool, great food. I cannot ask for more.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear EzDoesltSG,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others and for your warm words regarding your stay. I’m glad that you are comfortable with our check in process and appreciate your kind words on well-appointed room. It’s great to know you’ve enjoyed our Westin’s signature bed. This Heavenly Bed is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. Your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities is truly appreciated. Thanks for recommending Westin as a brand to everyone! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Langkawi on your future visits to Langkawi Island.