“Average”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 107 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed in two adjoining rooms in the Starwood Preferred Members wing and were very disappointed. To be fair the hotel was renovating some wings, and they may not have had renovated rooms available. The rooms we were placed in were very weathered, mold, and they smelled. We asked to move, but were not able to be placed elsewhere. The room cleaning staff did a very poor job cleaning the rooms. We were surprised we were staying at a Westin!

Te kids club was also lacking in staff, organization and planning. Pool side staff was not available and we had to search for towels often to find none available.

The staff was very nice and made an effort to make us comfortable. Perhaps, the renovation left them a bit flustered as several mistakes were made.

The location is beautiful. The pools are wonderful and fun for all ages. The restaurants have views and the food is decent, no memorable.

We wouldn't go back, but if we hear the renovation is complete and there are overall improvements.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear DowntownDC,

Thank you for posting these comments and we appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you’ve encountered to our attention as this will only assist us in improving towards service excellence.  I’m concerned about the issues regarding our room cleanliness and the inconsistent service from our housekeeping team. I’m extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up to the high standards we’ve set for ourselves. I instructed my housekeeping team to improve immediately.  I note from your comments regarding some lapses in service during your stay. I’ve shared your feedback with my team which will help us improve on our service delivery to all guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistent service you’ve experienced and I will ensure that we continue to improve on the different areas you’ve mentioned. We really appreciate your positive comments about friendly associate, beautiful location and wonderful pools. I understand from your comments that you might not return but I hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Michael Schlueter

Write a ReviewReviews (3,218)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Im delighted, they get me a diapers in the middle of the night for my 2 years old daughter..
Also they gave free dine for my 3 child which would cost RM150X3 ..

great service!!

On the negative side..be careful of monkeys..sometime they hang out on the balcony with out noticing it..which is very dangerous for your children..

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank popisdead
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Firstly this hotel is currently undergoing renovation works. This meant there was no direct lift access to our guest floor. We firstly had to go down one level on a spiral staircase and then walk along a corridor, still (nominally) carpeted but crowded with construction workers, dust, noise and the smell of a paint.. Only a minor inconvenience but disappointing that the hotel chose not to share this information, either on their website at the time of booking or when checking in..

More annoying was being given a room with an inter-connecting door, even after this was twice specifically requested not to happen. On calling to request that this be corrected, we were told that we had been given an upgraded room and that a room without an inter-connecting door was not available.

This was my 5th stay in this hotel and from prior experience I know that the soundproofing between rooms with inter-connecting doors is dreadful, having had a previous bad experience due to this. It seems bizarre that the hotel provides an "upgraded room" which was not requested or indeed wanted, but chooses to ignore guests other requirements..

So whilst the location of this hotel is more convenient for me (near the yacht club) in future, rather than risk the same thing happening, I will still at The Datai, less convenient on the North of the island but a nicer hotel and with a much nicer beach.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cmdsea

Dear cmdsea,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review and for your loyalty to The Westin Langkawi. I was disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable experience on your stay due to resort refurbishment, which is a temporary issue. Please accept our sincere apologies about the inconvenience caused. I’m pleased to share with you that the resort had successfully completed phase 1 refurbishment. The finished look reflect a modern, contemporary resort product, showcasing the brand’s philosophy of Westin, For a Better You – and positioned as the benchmark for superior product quality on the island, ensuring that our guests indulge in a relaxing and rejuvenating Westin Journey. We regret that your stay was disrupted by the excessive noise from the neighboring rooms.  I’ve addressed this with my engineering  team to improve it immediately. We sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision and that this incident has not marred your trust in The Westin Langkawi. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you’ve experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. Despite your less positive comments, I do hope that we may welcome you again and I would like to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were upgraded to the five bedroom Royal villa rather than having five separate rooms in the Hotel which was a nice touch at the end of some ocean yacht racing. Great location and a stunning looking property. Great breakfast and tasty room service hamburgers, however.. No porter to help with luggage on arrival (1am was past there bed time) Piano n the Louge was wonderful! Bathroom in suite 1 had paint splashes on floor, wall tiles and fittings and shockingly lots of the previous guests pubic hair on the floor in the toilet and shower, also cheap quality toilet paper.. TV not tuned correctly, hair drier was faulty and filled the room with a nasty burned plastic smell. All the power on bottom floor tripped out but was back on after 30 minutes. Nice coffee machine, but I had to clean and empty the grinds draw which was full of mould and had not been cleaned for a long time. Our friends complained about the rooms in the hotel being under renovation. Staff were OK but did not know which suite the guests were in so kept on calling #1 suite with messages for other people which happened over 20 times. Nice pool with a great view, but no proper access to beach or jetty from it. Could have been a worlds best hotel experience but was let down with lack of attention to simple details (such as cleaning) But still glad we stayed there!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sounder_Guy,

Thank you for choosing Westin for your stay on Langkawi and for your time to share your experiences on Trip Advisor.  It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. Thank you for highlighting about the varied array of SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. I’m concerned about the issues regarding our room cleanliness and the inconsistent service from our housekeeping team. I’m extremely disappointed that we failed on this occasion to live up to the high standards we’ve set for ourselves. I’ve addressed this with my housekeeping team to improve it immediately. Once again, I’m truly sorry for any inconveniences caused. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you’ve encountered to our attention as this will only assist in improving towards service excellence. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had moved to this resort from The Andaman and found The Westin was larger with more pool areas but lacked the personality and personal touch of the Andaman.

Things I liked: 3 different pools with lots of space to spread out and swim. Beach front although beach was too rough for relaxing in. Buffet breakfast had a large variety. Poolside bar lunch was very good. Large bedrooms with very comfortable bed. Large variety of English cable TV channels. Cold towels in the gym, gym had lots of exercise equipment to use. Sauna, spa, table tennis, pool table, tennis and squash courts available. Kid's playground on site. Not right in the tourist area so was peaceful however still close enough to the Jetty and to Langkawi fair. 3 different "elixir" drinks were available free of charge in the lobby at all times, made a good change from plain water.

Things I didn't like: Kid's club was an extra charge to use, renovations were going on in the wings closest to the lobby so even though we were not in the renovation areas, we had to walk through them to get out of the hotel. Patchy cable TV reception. Gym had a leaking roof in one area and air conditioning wasn't on high enough. No footpath to walk from hotel to nearby jetty or yacht club even though it was only 500m away.

Things that could be better: Service from staff was merely sufficient. I found staff at the Andaman friendlier. Once renovations are complete then it will not be such a round-about route to walk between the lobby and some rooms.

Room Tip: I stayed in 4308 and found it sufficient, it's in the wing closest to the gym. Rooms numbered 1...
1  Thank snough
SchlueterM, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear snough,
Thank you very much for the detailed review about your experience at The Westin Langkawi. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. I’m truly sorry that we’ve let you down with regards to the beach. Our beach is not as good as the beach in the North of Langkawi, as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island. Thank you for highlighting about the varied array of SuperFoodsRx buffet breakfast. Our stylish buffet breakfast is well-known by its widespread variety of nourishing food with a free-flow of sparkling wine which provides every guest a luxurious yet renewing breakfast experience. Besides, it’s great to know you’ve enjoyed our Westin’s signature bed. Heavenly Bed is enveloped in crisp layers of pure cotton bedding and abundant pillows to ensure a blissful night’s sleep. Also, thank you for highlighting our cuisine & recreation center and I’m so pleased to know that your expectations and needs were met. Furthermore, it’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. On another note, I’ve looked into the less positive issues you’ve mentioned and sincerely apologize for the shortfall. I appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you’ve encountered to our attention as this will only assist in improving towards service excellence. Your valued comment is the intrinsic motivation that encourages us to improve our services continuously. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Was there for a conference. Had to extend stay due to some miscommunication with airline. Very peaceful. Slept all day long. Situated a bit far from town, though. Great restaurant. Friendly staffs. Make sure you book the room on the right side of the hotel, facing the swimming pool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear rizalzulkapli,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. We really appreciate your positive comments about the quality of our venues and I'm sure that our F&B team has treated you well. Thank you for highlighting the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful associates. They are always the most valuable asset of The Westin. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Sometimes expectations before you arrive don't help when the experience received does not match. Having heard good things from friends, we were underwhelmed by issues around check-in (that were sorted eventually) and the breakfast was good quality but limited. The location is quiet, and not too far from Kuah when you want to escape the overpriced alcohol & food.
The tour desk is very helpful to arrange some excursions and we enjoyed the mangrove tour and jetskiing.
Lack of shade around the main pool is an issue, but there is a shadier one just behind the restuarant.

Dear turbozmr2,
Thank you for taking the time to write and post this review. All guest comments are gratefully received and reviewed. I’m sorry to hear that there were some lapses at check in, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. On the other hand, I’m delighted to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. Our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. Thank you for sharing your valued opinions with others. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.