“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Langkawi
Perth, Australia
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Very nice hotel, staff is very friendly and helpful. The pools are excellent with beatiful is views. Very hard to pick the best restaurant out of 3, food is excellent. The favourite spot was the Breeze bar, very relaxing atmosphere for enjoying the drinks and shisha. Should defenitely try Heavenly Spa. If you book with Expedia make sure your itenary reflects the deals they advertise in the package like free massages or romantic dinners and compilmentary wine etc. When we were booking with Expedia it advertised romantic dinner, free massage and wine, but the only thing we got was massage, and when we asked about the rest they said there is nothing on your itenary. That was the only let down though. We also got a free late check out and transers to the airport.

1 Thank JohnyX255103
Helmut P, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear JohnyX255103,

Thank you very much for posting your review about your experience at The Westin Langkawi. It is very kind of you for highlighting the quality service offered by our friendly and helpful associates. I always think that they are the most valuable asset of our resort. I do agree with you that our pools are awesome and our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort. We really appreciate your positive comments about the quality of our venues and I'm sure that our F&B team has treated you well. Furthermore thank you for mentioning our Breeze Lounge which offers a relaxed atmosphere with live music, the perfect combination for a nice evening. It is so kind of you for all the warm words and again, thank you so much for your compliments on our award winning Heavenly Spa. I am sure our experienced spa therapists made you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. It is very important for us that our guests feel they get value for money during their stay in The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Hence my suggestion, you can always visit our branded web which you will find the best available rates. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and I hope that we may welcome you again in the near future.

Helmut Pluecker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Definitely not a Starwood Experience!

The hotel is falling apart. There is paint peeling off all the woodwork. The bathrooms have cheap tiles...no Italian marble here! There is plaster falling off of the bathroom ceiling. The doorbell doesn't work. Neither does the door closer..so each time the door slams shut, the entire hallway shudders.

Housekeeping is terrible. The pillow covers are mismatched. We actually had a duvet laid on the bed, a stained duvet, without a cover! Then it was replaced with another one where the zipper was spoiled, so the duvet just fell out of the cover. There is mildew around the bedframes, that was not cleaned despite requests. Carpets are sloppily vaccumed...

There is not one flower or picture or paining in the room. No fruit basket. No turndown service at night.

When you check in...you actually stand in line and wait for your turn. No one asks you to sit and wait. There is no hot or cold towel. No welcome drink. Checkout took forever! Nobody at reception had a stapler that worked, so the bills could not be stapled together. Starwood points were not credited properly.

The staff are polite..but definitely not friendly.

Food in the restaurants is ok..but not fabulous. The bread is cold and you will only get olive oil if you ask for it. The food outside the hotel is far better.

You get the feeling that the management is just waiting passively for the hotel to fall apart...at which time they will redo it. But in the meantime...they certainly are not going to extend themselves.And so the whole experience is a total and complete rip off. Really sad when you vacation so rarely!

If you go onto the narrow stretch of beach which is littered with broken shell, so you can't walk barefoot on the sand. Do apply liberal amounts of insect repellent..we were badly bitten.

Really not a Westin experience at all!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sharmalavika
Dear sharmalavika,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Even though your feedback is much valued and appreciated I find the title of your review too harsh towards our property. Rather than just demolishing the building we will review the possibility of revitalizing it in the next phase of our refurbishment project. I have looked into the issues you have mentioned and sincerely apologize for the shortfall in the service standards. Your comments on the level of cleanliness of the room have been noted and I have addressed this with my housekeeping team. Rest assured we are doing all we can to ensure that this does not recur. I am sorry to hear that there were some lapses at check in, I sincerely apologies for any inconvenience caused. I have addressed this inconsistency with our front office team and will take the necessary action to improve continuously. We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach. And although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. I appreciate your comment and it is very important for us to know on your experience so we can learn and avoid similar issues happened again. Feedback that you have mentioned will help us to improve ourselves on service delivery. Although it isn't pleasant to hear about issues you are experienced during your stay, I would far rather hear about them than go on oblivious to our faults. We deeply regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectations on this visit. It is indeed unfortunate that you had to experience these shortcomings but I’d like to re-assure you that they do not form part of our standard service levels. We sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision and that this incident has not marred your trust in The Westin Langkawi. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

From the moment you check in to check out, you really feel well taken care of but not in an over the top way, but just nice that you still go your own way in this sprawling place. But the bottom line, is that you get this wonderful treatment when you pay this much. Was here only because hubby had an all expenses paid conference, so was piggybacking on the opportunity.

The resort is self contained and is catered for those who just want to laze and enjoy your own company. Was informed that it was fully booked, yet never felt there was a crowd, anywhere (except for breakfast, which was a given).
Plus points:
- Princess coffee makers in each room for that freshly brewed aroma in the room. Nice personalized touch
- Good sized baths for that lovely soak
- Four great swimming pools - catering for the bubs to the adults
- Great breakfast spread - you name it, you can get it for breakfast :). One is usually so stuffed, so its more like brunch.
- The very secluded pool near the spa, fantastic infinity pool and never more than two people at any time.
- Loved the moon shaped cocoon loungers at the beach, slept like a babe in one.
- The beach is near the ferries that ply Kuah town, but never noisy.
- Time literally stood still for me, which was priceless.

Minus points
- yes its pricey, with prices double for everything for accommodation and food. You could go cheaper and stay at the Frangipani, but would you get total peace and seclusion?
- Not a top notch beach, as its fairly muddy. But the beach is kept clean.
- Watch out for the monkeys - who I guess are more playful and just looking for food.
- Slight wear and tear, but not too noticeable when your far too distracted in just chilling.
- Quite secluded and away from anything, so its either a 15minute walk to the ferry complex where you have some food, shopping etc, or a 10 min taxi into Kuah town for shopping and food.

Overall, its still 5 star for me, as my expectations were surpassed, given that i travel with comfort in mind, and wouldn't sneeze at lux either.
Would I stay here again, in a shot, yes, and if they had value specials on.

Room Tip: Try the spa pool, which is a 5minute walkaway, but very worth it. Rooms closer to 24xx were closeby...
2 Thank JemimaBond
, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear JemimaBond,

Thank you very much for the detailed review about your experience at The Westin Langkawi. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you especially for highlighting your satisfaction towards our accommodation, services and facilities. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing and rest assured that we do continue to monitor our prices to make sure that we are in line with other 5 star hotels on the island. We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach. And although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. Concerning your comments on the resort condition, we will review the possibility of revitalizing it during our next renovation project. Thank you for sharing the tips regarding the monkeys with others! They are cute and indeed wild too. It was a pleasure to have you with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This a nice hotel but the place is a little it worn out. Great reception staff but other than that service is not up to the usual Westin standard.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view is best. We got the drive way view !!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Awahed
Dear Awahed,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our resort during your trip to Langkawi Island. Thank you for highlighting the quality service offered by our friendly associates. I always think that they are the most valuable asset of our resort. Concerning your comments on the resort condition, we will review the possibility of revitalizing it during our next renovation project. Your valued comment is the intrinsic motivation that encourages us to improve our services continuously. Thank you again for choosing the Westin Langkawi and I hope that we may welcome you again. My team and I would like the opportunity to restore your faith in our resort.

istanbul
Reviewed July 9, 2012

checking in the hotel took a long time, way longer than one would normally expect. by the time we were finally shown to our room it was a disappointment as we had booked for a full ocean view deluxe room and the room they show us was hardly facing the sea. we had to refer to our booking over and over again and after visiting a couple of more rooms that had nothing to comply with a "full ocean view" description the staff had to call the manager who was very helpful. She offered us a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite and it was a very nice room.
it didn't start well in the hotel but we really enjoyed our stay after finally settling in our room.
the hotel management cares for their customers satisfaction and most of the staff is very friendly.
the heated infinity pool was very nice. my little son didn't want to come out. they have a very nice play room for the kids too..
at breakfast time we could see the hotel was full but we could never figure out where all the people disappeared rest of the day. the hotel grounds were so big and there are many things to do in the island so we never felt how packed the hotel actually was.
the spa was amazing and the staff of the spa was one of the best. they sent me back my bracelet in an envelope and i didn't even remember leaving it there!
we had a little bumps on the way but overall it was quite an amazing holiday for us. i wish i was there right now.

Room Tip: they have live music at the bar every evening until midnight. we didn't mind it but if you think...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Feyza T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for highlighting the quality service offered by our management as well as our friendly and well-trained associates. I always think that they are the most valuable asset of our resort. On another note, your comments on the arrival experience have been noted and I have addressed this with my front office team. Rest assured that we are doing all we can to ensure that this does not recur and I have instructed our front office manager to take immediate action. Thank you again for having chosen The Westin Langkawi as your holiday destination and I hope we have the pleasure to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 9, 2012

it was an amazing property for a honeymoon trip, the service was amazing and so friendly staff working there

Room Tip: Ocean View private pool villa
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mohammed911
Dear Mohammed911,

Thank you for having chosen Westin Langkawi for your honeymoon. I know that this is the most precious of holidays and I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your Westin experience. Thank you for highlighting the warmth and wonderful service provided by our associates, they are definitely the most valuable asset of The Westin Langkawi. Again, I am so pleased to know that you were able to relax and enjoy the atmosphere here. My team and I hope we have the pleasure to welcoming you back for another renewing stay.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2012

If you're just planning to lie by the pool, pay western standard prices for food, and enjoy a mediocre beach with little to no effort, then the Westin is for you. I will say the time we spent by the pool was quite enjoyable and gorgeous, as I'm sure many reviews echo. One of the pool staff members even brought complimentary fruit kebabs by. However, I found that the pool experience was the only one at this hotel that didn't require effort. There is no effort to discern a guest's needs - we had to call for extra towels and a robe, sat by the lobby bar (where the prices were extortionate compared to local options, but we were willing to pay assuming we'd be treated with the same level of service we received at the pools) for over ten minutes with no one coming to take our order, and generally found that staff made it feel like you were interrogating them before providing a useful answer. In addition, there were signs that the property should be on its way to renovation: wood is chipped, paint is worn in some places, carpet smells musty or smoky in some corridors. Further, the only local attraction or restaurant remotely close by is the yacht club. Pantai Cenang (imo one of the island's best beaches) is over 30 min by cab at a cost of ~30 MYR. The beach at the hotel is ok, but it is filled with seashells and not too sandy.

Room Tip: A third floor room would provide ideal access to the pool and breakfast, plus then you wouldn't...
2 Thank wmk191
Dear wmk191,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. I appreciate your positive comments about our recreational staff as well as quality time by the pool. I have also looked into the less positive issues you have mentioned and sincerely apologies for the shortfall in the service standards. We regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectation with regards to the beach. And although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides but however, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. Concerning your comments on the resort condition, we will review the possibility of revitalizing it during our next renovation project. I am never proud to know that we have failed to delight a guest but I am always thankful for comments so that we can learn and improve. We take your comments seriously and will review them with our team to make necessary improvements. I do hope that we may welcome you again at the Westin Langkawi.