“Honeymooners Please read...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 106 Hotels in Langkawi
England
“Honeymooners Please read...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the second week of our Honeymoon, we usually stay in 3 or 4 star hotels so are by no means toffs or over expecting like some reviewers on here.

We stayed in May 2012, we had a delux full ocean view room booked. The hotel is set in lovely grounds, the Lobby and reception look great.

We were shown to our room... There were smudges on the covers, the furniture was chipped and worn, the floor was dirty and the shower curtain was stained... Again im not one who complains but as a honeymoon couple this was not on. We complained and paid to stay in a suite.

The suite was nice, it was what we were expecting to stay in standard wise. It was a large room with two bathrooms, kitchen and living area which we didnt use but the bedroom and main bathroom was good, its just ashame the normal rooms arent up to this standard.

Breakfast was busy, there is a good selection of things to have but everything runs out really quick and you almost feel stressed. Lots and lots of kids, i dont mind kids but when their parents let them run around and shout it does tend to wind you up after a while.

The pools and staff are their saving grace, the infinity pool looks over the sea with an incredible view. There is a kids pool a little walk away from the infinity pool which does take the edge of. There was a bit of a race in the morning to get a sun bed around this pool as all of the adult guests were keen to sun bathe and chill out in peace.

As i said there were a lot of kids and if you are honeymooners then im really sorry to say this but it wont feel like a honeymoon. Maybe it was the time of year we went but there were a lot of kids and i know they are on holiday too but it takes away that honeymoon feeling.

The staff were fantastic, happy to help and always smiling. The pool bar was a nice touch however be warned it is very expensive!! £4 for a small bottle of evian!! Again im not a pikey but even i was a little shocked at the prices.

The hotel is situated near the Jetty so there is around a ship an hour going past which wasnt a massive problem but is still noisy.

The beach was not worth going down to see. We had a nice massage at the SPA which looked amazing. The Float they have looked like a lovely place to have dinner situated at the end of a pier in the sea.

We hired a car which was the best thing you can do. It costed around 10-15 pounds a day for a little run around. The west coast is around 25 mins away and is easy to drive to. The beaches are what you expect it to be at the hotel. They have lots of cool water sports and the sea is warm!

We didnt bother with any excursions but i heard the eagle feeding is good and the cable car.

We went up to the Four Seasons hotel for dinner one night which is around 20 minutes north of the Westin. This was fantastic. This is a honeymoon hotel. We were blown away at how amazing the hotel was, the grounds, the beach and the restaurant... This is where we should have come..

However the Four Seasons looked expensive and probably was expensive. I dont want to ruin anybodies honeymoon who has already booked it but just dont expect too much from The Westin. The pictures make it look better than it is.

It is a nice hotel, by no means 5 star, maybe we were unlucky with our room. We had a nice time but would not go back.

MY ADVICE: IF YOU ARE SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY TO COME ALL THIS WAY, GO TO THE SHANGRIA LA RASA RIA IN BORNEO INSTEAD. OR IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT THE FOUR SEASONS IN LANGKAWI.

Oh and the duty free was very good, smokes and booze are very very cheap, perfume not so much though.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can or a Villa, if your not an SPG member i think they will fob you off..
1 Thank George1984
, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear George1984,
Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Many thanks for taking the time to write and post this review of your experience at Westin Langkawi. All guest comments are gratefully received and reviewed. I appreciate your comments and I know that it is extremely important for us to hear these comments so we can learn from your experience and prevent similar problems in the future. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guests. My team and I would very much like the opportunity of welcoming you back to Westin Langkawi, and restoring your faith in our resort.

Helmut Pluecker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

This was our second stay at The Westin Langkawi. We spend 3 nights last year and that wasn`t enough, so spend 5 nights this year, this hotel is situated away from the other hotels which gives the resort a much more private feel. The facilities are well appointed and, its well maintained and cleaned. The staff are always going the extra mile to serve you. We stayed at garden view room it was very peaceful and quite, Whatever you do don`t miss out on the buffet dinner by the pool including a wonderful show ,The beef dinner held on Tuesday night & the seafood dinner is held on Friday nights , make sure to say hello to Antonio the manger who Will go out of his way to make sure you having a great time, we will back again next year we won`t stay anywhere else on the island but Westin

2 Thank Vince L
mgntRepresentative, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Vince L,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you for your loyalty to Westin Langkawi and for this positive feedback about your Westin experience. It’s wonderful to know that you enjoyed our peaceful location. I agreed on your feedback regarding the beauty of the resort, our resort is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town. Furthermore, thank you for highlighting the quality service performed by our friendly and helpful staff. They are always the most valuable asset of The Westin. I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay at comfortable deluxe garden view room too. It is very kind of you to highlight our cuisine and I am so pleased to know that your dining expectations and needs were met. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Langkawi on your future visits to Langkawi Island.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Beautiful hotel near Kuah town. We quite enjoy our stay here with 2 toddlers. Nice beautiful room, nice infinity swimming pool and kids pool. Great amenities with superb service. The only drawback is that you can't really enjoy and swim at the beach. Since it's quite near to jetty and town, it's a lil dirty. So, avoid beach. Other than that, it is PERFECT! What you pay is what you get.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DianaJana
Dear DianaJana,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you for posting this review and sharing your valued opinions on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your positive comments about stunning location, wonderful room, nice swimming pools, great amenities and quality services. I am truly sorry that we have let you down with regards to the beach. Our beach is not as good as the beach in the North of Langkawi, as we were unfortunately not blessed with the best on the island. Although we endeavor to keep it clean, we unfortunately consistently battle in our area with the debris brought in by the tides. However, we will continue to constantly do our utmost to monitor and improve the condition of the area. Thank you very much for your compliment regarding your stay. I do hope that we will welcome you back again to Langkawi.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Westin. We booked the hotel based on experiences in other Westin hotels, this was our first mistake, the second was not leaving soon after check in.
The lobby itself was nice and the front desk were pleasant enough even offering us a 'upgrade' upon check in. Thus imagine the dissapointment when we entered our room to discover stained and scratched furniture, broken bathtub, and a lacklustre room. Upon speaking to the General Manager we were transferred to another room that was marginally better in terms of light entering the room. Unfortunately attention to detail when cleaning was severely missing. There were finger marks on the shower room door, the closet, and the desk. The bedside menu had tea stains and pen marks on it, but the worse was finding hairs attached to the handheld shower (from the previous occupants I assume). To avoid room hopping, we left the issues with this room alone and proceeded with our holiday.
Langkawi itself is a beautiful place and the hotel (outside of the rooms) was not bad. Generally the staff were attentive and friendly. The breakfast buffet had a good selection and although the Westin only had a couple of restaurants the choices were ok.
There are two main pools, the rock pool that you share with a number of dead floating insects (I know it's tropical, but seriously a little cleaning would not go amiss) and the infinity pool which generally looked cleaner. We spent the majority of time in the infinity pool, and lucky for us, and not so for the remaining guests the following incident occurred on the day we were leaving. A small child had a accident outside of the infinity pool leaving a trail of feces by the pool. Another guest notified the pool attendant, who then notified two of his colleagues and then.. Nothing. I remained by the pool for the next half hour and in shock watched as none of the staff bothered with this matter. It is not only terrible hygiene but unknown guests especially children could run around and transport this too the pool.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, while the upper management at the hotel are trying, they definately need to give basic lessons on attention to detail and cleanliness to the staff.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Slone79
Dear Slone79,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. Your feedback is much valued and appreciated. I have looked into the issues mentioned by your good self and sincerely apologies for the shortfall in the service standards. Your comments on the level of cleanliness have been noted and I have addressed this with my housekeeping team. Rest assured we are doing all we can to ensure that this does not recur. We deeply regret that we were unable to fully meet your expectations on this visit. It is indeed unfortunate that you had to experience these shortcomings but I’d like to re-assure you that they do not form part of our standard service levels. At the Westin, we strive hard to ensure our guests leave feeling better than when they arrive, and hence, will do our utmost to exceed guests’ satisfaction. We sincerely hope that you will reconsider your decision and that this incident has not marred your trust in Westin Hotels & Resorts. Once again, our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have experienced. I will ensure that we continue to improve on our service levels and product quality. Should you like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to let me know as I’ll gladly reach out to you.

Danville, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

In mid-May, the traffic was very light. We had the entire beach to ourselves, and plenty of room around the pools to lounge. The location's excellent, close to the ferry dock and downtown Kuah town. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Wifi coverage only in the lobby, not in the restaurants, pool area or rooms. No AC in the lobby. The rooms and patios are decent-sized and nicely furnished, but showing signs of wear. We had maintenance issues with a running toilet that never got fixed properly.

Restaurants pricey, but that's to be expected in a resort like the Westin. Food quality and variety are excellent. I've seen much higher prices for less in other five star resort restaurants.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view; Rooms furthest from the elevator shaft are better as well, as the c...
Dear Roadwearrior,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you very much for writing this review about your experience. I am glad you like our location as it provides lovely scenery for a quiet getaway, yet it is just a few minutes away from the main town. We really appreciate your positive comments about quality of foods, also friendly & helpful staffs. We appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention as this will only assist us in improving towards service excellence. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for food. Please rest assured that we do continue to monitor our prices to make sure that we are in line with other 5 star hotels on the island. It’s important to me that our guests receive value for money. We hope we have another opportunity to welcome you back to Langkawi Island and The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa.

be well
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This has got to be one of my top 3 places to have stayed in the world. The views, pool and surrounds really kicked my trip through malaysia off in the right way.

I came in over night via Singapore from Melbourne. After my transfer I had to wait around an hour for my room, this wasn't ideal but I could understand given it was before 12pm.

Yes, I did notice that the lobby was warm but given it is a hot place yu really can't expect them to have the whole place inclosed and have the air-con pumping. My experiance if AC in places like this (singapore, Thailand) is that it is over kill and you get too much contrast between hot and cold going in and out of buildings.

Anyway, the whole place is awesome! the only thing I found disapointing is that there is little night life. They have bars etc but really in the evening there is little to do, I think this was Langkawi in general but really it did make the nights long sometimes.

The resort is a short walk to some shops/ the port and if your up for it walking distance to shops and "town".

In the grounds I did see some native birds and monkeys.

Over all I was really happy, I would stay again if I return to Langkawi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Dear iac0n,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. Thank you for choosing Westin Langkawi for your stay on Langkawi. I am grateful for your comments and feedback. We appreciate you bringing up the shortcomings you have encountered to our attention as this will only assist us in improving towards service excellence. It was a great pleasure to welcome you to our resort. Once again thank you very much for your warm words regarding your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Langkawi on your future visits to Langkawi Island.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Langkawi after researching a lot of 5 star properties on the island.
It was an excellent choice and a great stay after spending the first three days in KL.

5 different pools, a decent beach, an excellent kids club for our two toddlers, very good service and a very large variety of breakfast options.

The hotel is part of the Starwood preferred guest group and finally we got a benefit of being a member of a hotel club - 15% off on all dining :)

We rented a car for the day - very good idea. Room size was very good. Be careful though of leaving food on the balcony - a monkey came over and grabbedour jelly beans. And if u leave anything out n the tables you can expect ants.

Resort has beautiful views even if you get a partial sea view. We were on the third floor and got to see mountains, the pools and the sea.

Well worth it and the kids absolutely loved it :) Wife loved the spa services as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Imran T
Dear Imran J,

Warmest greetings from The Westin Langkawi Resort and Spa. I would like to thanks for choosing our resort during your trip to Langkawi Island. I am so pleased to hear that you are enjoyed your stay at our lovely partial ocean view room. We really appreciate your positive comments about resort facilities and quality of services. Besides, I am delighted that you took advantage of Starwood Preferred Guest dining benefits program. It offers great value for money. I do agree with your suggestion to hire a car to explore the island. Langkawi roads are in good conditions and it is very easy to find your way around. We have a car hire company based at the hotel for the convenience of our guests. Thank you so much for mentioned about the award winning Heavenly Spa your wife has tried. I am sure our experienced spa therapists definitely make your wife feel relaxed and rejuvenated. Thank you once again and we definitely look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin Langkawi on future visits to Langkawi.