“Rent a car and BYO food/drink”

The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 104 Hotels in Langkawi
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This hotel was set in a great location and although the beach didnt look overly inviting the views and the pool area were wonderful.
We were given 2 rooms on the second floor. on the RHS looking back from the ocean. The childrens room had a great view it was beautiful.Out balcony had a tree obscuring the view, so we asked to move and were courteously moved to a room on the third floor which had an unobscured view.
The food and drinks were ruinously expensive here eseciallly for a family of 4 especially the outdoor buffet which looked amazing but just too many $$$. We much preferred getting in our trusty Proton and finding out of the way resaurants near the beach or in the middle of a paddy field. Occasionally these restaurants didnt serve alcohol and di not wish you to BYO either.

The hotels were saw in Kuah town looked awful stick to hotels on the beaches

If you leave langkawi by boat it is a lovely trip to the Thai mainland and a nice way to leave the island.
WE would definately stay there again, but shop at the boat quay for duty free drinks and food.

Room Tip: get RHS of resort as you look from the ocean. Becareful of trees obscuring the view..level 3 or 4 be...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sue J
mgntRepresentative, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2011

Dear Sue J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your precious comment in Tripadvisor. I acknowledge your comments regarding our pricing for food. Please allow us to continue monitor our F&B pricing, and to make sure it is in line with other five star hotels in Langkawi. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay despite the shortcomings you have experienced regarding the view. Your valued comment is the intrinsic motivation that encourages us to improve ourselves continuously. The entire team and I at The Westin Langkawi look forward to welcome you back for another renewing stay.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is what you would expect from a 5 star resort, meets all expectations as well as a few nice surprises.

Check in was fast and friendly, as expected. However, two email requests sent to their reservation office were not actioned and therefore the front desk was unable to assist, no fault of theirs. Arrived before the check in time, and unfortunately no rooms were available but our luggage were stored and we ventured out to explore.

The room was very comfortable and spacious for an 11 night stay. Only complaint is that the room was next to a staff maintenance room where there was a generator or machine that was running 24/7 which became annoying and noticable at bed time. It was a lovely furnished room, no complaints. The general noise level outside the room was noisy with other guests banging the doors, walking through the corridors and common doors - this was quiet season - but you get this everywhere.

Room ammenties - towels, towels, water - were replenished efficiently. Although for the first week either face towels or hand towels were forgotten. A call to house keeping fixed that quickly.

Buffet breakfast was manic, but staff worked efficiently to have patrons seated. Food were replenished quickly. No complaints and looked forward to breakfast every day!

The three pools were fantastic! The rock pool was unique and pretty special! Selfish guests hogged sun decks even when they had left the pool areas for hours!

The spa facility was a stand alone building and provided high quality services.

Five restaurants and two bars on site... Very well self contained resort.

Tourist desk on site to assist with day tours or car hire, convenient!

The cons:

As a part of the hotel package booked via their Starwood program, there were some added discounts such as two complimentary massages, 20% of all food and beverages and some services onsite as well as two way transfers to airport. I asked upon check in how I would redeem these discounts and I was told that they would just know as it was on the system. You can already anticipate that via that response the account would be 'stuffed up' and things would go wrong. I would just recommend that one keeps an eye and a journal of all services billed back to the room and any discounts that should be applied as you will need to go through by line and ask for an adjustment when you check out. Keep a printed copy of any special programs as part of your stay as the front desk will not have it!

The cost of food, beverages and services at the hotel are the same as Australian prices despite being in SE Asia. The yatch club 5 min walk from the Westin serves western food, $20 AUD for a large lamb shank. The hawker stores near the Jetty (10min walk from Westin) have very cheap local food, AUD 2 for rice with beef radang.

Don't bother with the free wifi on the front seating area near the reception. You cant get onto it and if you do, its slow. If you can find one, get a data sim card, and for ipads, get them to cut the sim to a micro sim ! A 5 star resort shld be providing fast and free internet everywhere on site.

Irrespective, a wonderful resort to relax and to relax more.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the sections immediately following the reception sitting area. More people traffic. A...

Dear PaulineAndBear,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and share your opinion with us. First of all, please accept my sincere apologized for the shortcoming. It is always grateful to receive comments from our guests; this will help us to improve even more. I have taken note of your disappointment on being allocated a room which is currently under rectification. I truly sorry for the slight disturbance but due to the shortage of your specific room category we were unable to allocate you a room further away.

Thank you so much for your kind words about our facilities and infinity pool. I am happy that you like the service provided by our Heavenly Spa. We regret that internet usage is currently chargeable but will look into the possibility of extending it free of charge in future. I have taken note on your kind feed back regarding the challenge that you encounter on discount redemption process. My team and I will look into this in no time. Last but not least, Thank you again for choosing The Westin Langkawi as your holiday destination. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future!

Reviewed November 30, 2011

Picking the right resort is never an easy job! It took almost a week in which I finally made my decision to pick the West in Langkawi and I am very happy I did so! Here is my input on my experience at the hotel.
Price: the West In hotels had an average price, they were not by far the cheapest but they were not as expensive as the four seasons and Datai bay which was why it took me a while to truly make the decision. However they usually have some great packages available all year around if you are willing to pay for it in advance.
Location: Compared to many of the other hotel and resorts, I think it was centrally located and an 45 mins away from the airport. As a resort, I liked knowing that almost all places are a maximum of 30 to 35 (restaurants, beaches, and Golf Courses) minutes away (except the Datai which is on the opposite side of the island and an hour away by car!) plus you have private West in beach which makes it more convenient for you to tan.
Rooms: First we stayed at an executive room with a sea view which was a modest 42square meter room, the rooms were clean however we decided to move to the suite the next day and we were more than happy to have splurged just a little. Not only do you get a kitchen, a living room but the balcony was HUGE and the perfect place to have a nice little in room dining, with such a beautiful view of the sea. I would highly recommend that you try and upgrade to the suite it was well worth every penny we spent.

Food: The breakfast buffet was my favorite part of the day! You had a selection of Asian, European and Indian stands to choose from. Wether you are in the mood for crepe, curry or just a plain old Omlette they had it there! This is why I particularly enjoy traveling to asia, their buffets are way more Lavish, better selection compared to the ones in top European hotels. We tried out the Splash restaurant after coming back from a trip and it was pretty decent and a good selection of snacks to enjoy.

Service: Nothing made this trip feel hassle free like the services they provided us! First the team had an activities manager who actually booked us some of the excursions and activities, they even suggested some of the restaurants to try and made sure we got great seats! If this is how west in resorts would be with their guests then I am always going to pick west in resorts!

Overall we had an unforgettable time and very happy I chose to stay at the West In instead of the other hotels and would deff recommend everyone to pick the west in hotel.

Room Tip: Choose the Suite! its big spacious especially if you are a party of three +
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aj07
mgntRepresentative, General Manager at The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Dear aj07,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review and share your opinions with the other reviewer in Tripadvisor. This indeed will be a very useful guide especially for those who find it hard to decide. I am glad that you like staying in one of our spacious suite room. It is delighted to know that you enjoyed the convenient of our location. I am always proud to agree on the beauty of our resort which is beautifully located with the stunning scenery yet we are just few minutes away from the main town.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and services provided by our friendly staffs. I do love our delicious food and beverage like you too! It is all credit to our wonderful culinary and F&B team. They do their best to provide high quality food and beverage to our guest.

I am happy to know that the team has successfully impressed you during your stay with us. Your valued comment is the intrinsic motivation that encourages us to improve ourselves continuously. I am pleased to have you with us. The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future!

be well,

Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at the westin in September 2001 for 4 nights. I had trouble choosing the right hotel in Langkawi as there were heaps to choose from. I ended up choosing the Westin for the location. We we arrived we had to wait for an hour to check into our room. When we got to our room it was a dog box...tiny, dirty, stained furniture and carpets, mirrors stained, walls peeling etc. I cried and went to the front desk where a lady came to inspect it. I demanded an up-grade. We waited 2 hours in the room where i din't want to touch anything. We got a free up-grade to a bigger room but the same problems...walls peeling, stained and dirty carpet, old and stained furniture, the bathroom had to luxury 5 star fixtures..the shower looked like it was made in 5 minutes with a ceiling that would collapse on you in any second. The toilet ran the whole time, lights didn't turn off. We were told we would get a bottle of wine, chocolates and a friu basket for any inconvience. We recieved NO WINE, 3 pieces of chocolate and our fruit basket was a bread plate with 1 dragon friut and 2 apples with a STAINED napkin. I do not recomment anyone to stay here and to top it off Qantas holidays who sold us this 5 star hotel have done nothing about it. No refund what so ever for the worst 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in. It was the biggest disappointment to end our Malaysian holiday with.

Room Tip: Don't choose a hotel room you may have better quality in the villas but I just recommend you don...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank claire245

Dear claire245,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your valued opinions on Tripadvisor. We appreciate you bringing up the issue you have encountered during check-in, I apologize for the delay in allocating you as we were running an almost full occupancy and we do not have a readily vacant room of the specific room category you have booked. I will ensure that we better handle this issue in the future. I take onboard your comments in regard the room condition and will ensure that it is included during our next possible refurbishment project.

I am disappointed to note that the Food and Beverage team fail to deliver their promise towards your compensation and I truly understand how frustrated it can be. Your feed back had been addressed and they are instructed to avoid future reoccurrence.

The entire episode you experienced during your stay is totally unacceptable. I offer you no excuses for our shortcomings in regards to this and please note that the necessary action has been executed. Although you have indicated that you will not be returning to our resort again, I trust that you will continue to support our other Westin hotels & resorts worldwide. I wish many more renewing stays wherever you may wish to visit

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed at the Westin early Nov 2011 for 7 days and had a lovely time there. I lamented greatly over the choice of hotel in Langkawi as there were so many options. Having previously stayed at a Four Seasons we had initally wanted to stay there but being almost double in price to the other 5 star hotels we could not justify it this time around.

Upon arrival we were wowed by the view of the Andaman Sea, surrounding islands and beautiful pools. We were offered a juice and commenced check in. We were pretty tired after almost 12 hours travelling so when the check in person told us the room wasn't ready (just one hour before the check in time) we were pretty annoyed. The person then also was a little pushy in offering an upgrade to a villa at almost $400 extra a night.

But instead of letting it bug us we enjoyed a cocktail, some lunch and the amazing view. The next 7 days were lovely but I would have the following comments:
- we had a garden view room but faced out towards the sea despite the check in lady saying our room was facing the other way, we think this was to push us into an upgarde
- room was lovely, spacious, well fitted out, although things like the soft furnishings and couch were a bit grubby and not 5 star standard
- buffet breakfast was fabulous - so much choice, lovely staff, breakfast until 11am! you could have breakfast and even skip lunch there was so much to eat
- pool was lovely
- restaurants in the hotel were also good but pricey - the do it yourself BBQ for dinner by the pool was great- you get a massive bowl of seafood and meat to cook yourself on your own table BBQ overlooking the Andaman sea
- conceirge was pretty useless. We were hoping to get suggestions of places to eat and things to do but to be honest we got better info from the taxi drivers we had.
- the hotel doesn't offer any cultural activities, anything would be good... some malay singing/dancing in the evening cocktail bar or malay cooking class, basket weaving, batik painting, info on when night markets are on . You could've been at any hotel anywhere in the world and not know it was Malaysia. This was a real disappointment.
- go into Chenang beach- even though its 30 Ringgit ride ($10AUD) - you will save the return cost and still have a great meal out. Top pick is Orchid restaurant
- do the cable car - it was fun and scary with great photo opp's
- you can hire taxis via the hotel for 4 hours for 100 ringgit so $30 AUD to take you to other beaches, cable car, batik factory etc - worth doing this to get out of the hotel
- try and get to a night market to sample food. I think there is one every week close by, 5 min cab ride. I am pretty fussy but had no hestation trying foods and for so cheap.
- don't go to the highest peak, Guyung Raya - there's nothing really there - cable car is much better
- spa was amazing and so so beautiful - head for a massage!
- if you are a beach person this isn't the best location... water isn't fabulous but we found this reflective of langkawi in general and not just the Westin
- do the jetski tour with Mega Water Sports - Tour 2- so much fun and the best way to see all the amazing uninhabited islands close by

There isn't anything about the Westin that makes it rate badly , there are just a few things they do to make it that whole much more better!

5  Thank Dee_Kiss

Dear Dee_Kiss,

Thank you for posting comment regarding your recent stay at our resort. Thank you for bringing up the issue you have encountered during check-in, please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during the up selling process. I am glad to know that they are aggressive on promoting our suites and villas however I personally think that it will be very annoying when someone over done it. We will continue to improve in this area.

It is delighted to note that you were happy with the garden view room, and satisfied with our friendly and helpful staff and the delicious food prepared by our culinary team. Lastly, thank you for taking the time to post this informative review and your kind comment is greatly appreciated as it definitely inspires and motivates us to perform even better in future. We hope to welcome you back soon in the near future!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I spent part of my honeymoon in this hotel it was the best hotel I stayed in.
Nice location. Quite if like it. Nice swimming pool and (fantastic)beach. Breakfast is marvelous as quality, variety, quantity and overlooking the beach.
Concierge are excellent but receptionists are average.
About one mile away from the fairy station and small mall. If you don't like the hotel restaurants there are two restaurants away on a walking distance.
Concierge could arrange a taxi driver with hourly rate to take you to the tour attractions.

Room Tip: Try to book a sea facing (totally) or at least partially sea facing. I don't recommend the villa...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yaser A

Dear Yaser A,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Langkawi Resort & Spa for your vacation, and for sharing your experience in Tripadvisor. I am delighted to receive positive comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad you like the convenience of our location as it provides lovely scenery for a quiet getaway, yet it is just a few minutes away from the main town.

Thank you so much for your kind words about our facilities and infinity pool. Not to forget that our infinity pool is definitely one of the main highlights of our resort, I am so into the spread of magnificent view from there. Besides, I do love our delicious food and beverage like you too! It is all credit to our wonderful culinary and F&B team. They do their best to provide high quality food and beverage to our guest.

Lastly, we appreciate your valuable feedback and My team and I looking forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Liked the resort - good pools and facilities. Nice rooms although the "ocean view" rooms required some straining of the neck to see the ocean.
The SPG Platinum benefits were not brilliant (no upgrade) but with a little encouragement they got there in the end. Staff were friendly and helpful although this was only surface deep (checkin was bizarre and quite slow - she told me one room and wrote a different number on the key).
The location has pluses and minuses - close to town is good for provisions; close to the ferry port is good if you are arriving or leaving by ferry but much of the time it was like running a gauntlet to get past it in the taxi. the shuttle bus to the shopping area was only once per day, so pretty useless although it only took 20 mins to walk there. However, the beach was quite disapointing - harsh, shelly sand and lots of mud flats a low tide, so not really a "beach" resort. The view, however, across the sea to the other islands was lovely. However, all the "attractions" (good beaches, cable car, underwater world etc) and the airport were on the other side fo the island entirely, taking 30+ minutes in a cab to get to - good for relaxation but not good for "attractions". It worked for us, were are not big on "attractions".
Food was good, if somewhat expensive but not out of order for this kind of resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms don't have a great view of the ocean - only those on the back side, not the sid...

Dear Yaser A,