“PRICE AND LOCATION ARE GOOD.”

De Baron Resort Langkawi
Ranked #104 of 159 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Requires alot of walking. English is spoken, so ask???

We spent a great (low cost) month in Malaysian.
After KL, we took a night train up to a ferry to Penang Island. Afew days later, we took another ferry up to Langkawi. We took a taxi to DE BARON RESORT. It was advertised as cheap, breakfast included. Also wi-fi.

It's a very pretty view of the oceon, islands and boats.

The place is for Malaysians to come and relax. I saw only 2 europeans and no americans. The "resort" places are further down the road.

There was the main building plus one across the street. Therer's no balconies, but the main building had windows facing the ocean.
The free breakfastto was very!! local,so I ate bread/jam and fruit. For 500 ringgits ($1.67), you can upgrade to an american breakfast, which is waffles/omelets.

NOTE!!!!!!!:First nite, eat at restaurant on the water and a great!!! view.--an

WI-FI: the password is on the papers you get on singing in
we had a hard time signing in finally. We had to sign-in every time we want
to use the internet.

What to do while there(every one speaks english, so just ask ???n the water.

1. Eat at the hotel restauran outsde on the water.
2. Island-hopping. The hotel travel agent was never there, so we went thru the
front door, saw a metal rooft (the right side) thru the parking lots to buy the
next day tickets. The tour leaves from the same place. It's great!!!
3. night market(on wed nits?) has satays
drinks,and various snacks. Locals buy and take home for dinnr.
Go out the doorleft on street until another street go left. Go to an on-ramp
turn right, down that street.(watch traffic!!!!!!)
4. langkawi cable car--we were walking around and saw a taxi. (you do not see
on the street but, the front desk will call one for you. Ask the price first!!! He
drove us 30 min, then came back to take us back.The price is good.
They have a great steep cable car and fatastic views.
5. wonderland--It has huge shrimp, local food, and very clean. Go out the door
left on street until another street go left. stay on left side for 15 minute
walk.

Room Tip: no balconies,but a window for buildin facing ocea/ but building across street not as good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ArizonaOn-the-go
There are newer reviews for De Baron Resort Langkawi

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Been here 2 yrs ago and we were thrilled. Even the resort was not fully functional, the pool is still undergoing some renovations and the sitting areas (near the pool) cant be used yet but in all we were pleased with the whole environment..
BUT when we arrive again this year on Feb, we swear we will never come back to this place again. The lobby is just old and run down, the receptionist was hopeless, front desk officer (a male malay tall guy whom I believe he thot he is a male model waiting to be discovered )took 10minutes to acknowledge us. After checking-in, we were told that our room is located across the road. We of course tell them it was not the case because I specifically book under the sales team and told them i want a sea facing view and even after few emails changed they still gave me that rooms. I still insist the rooms that I wanted and I have to fork out extra cash for it. I was livid but it was late and the children were tired.
Upon entering the room, we were welcomed with a strong odor, the whole room and the toilet just stinks.The ceramic tiles chipped. The AC was not maintenanced oftenly and the room was so hot. Only 1 Keycard is given!!
To make the stroies all short, DO not book this hotel at all cost!!

1  Thank Siti8183
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don´t know where to start.... Our check-in took almost two hours. Don´t know what the problem was, but I don´t think the staff knew either. There were seven (7!) clerks on the desk and none of them could speak understandable English.

The superior room itself was not superior at all. It was stuffy and dark. The safety box didn´t work, (and no one came to repair it even though I informed the reception about the problem, so I had to buy new batteries for the lock my self.) The cord of the TV was broken (it sparkeled everytime it was plugged) The shower got broken and we had to wait for 2 days to get it fixed. Towels were replaced with dirty ones!

Breakfast wasn´t too good either. Not too much to choose from...

Overall the staff was almost rude. Even when greeted in the morning nobody answered. Unbeliveable!

We stayed there for four nights even though we had reserved and payed for 9 nights. We just didn´t want to ruin the rest of our vacation because of a poor hotel.

Think twice before You reserve a room from this hotel. You´ll get disappointed for sure!

2  Thank Matti L
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The lobby looked run down, front desk was hopeless and check in process was slow. I was asked for RM100 for deposit even though I had paid in full for the room via internet. They took my credit card details to secure as deposit. After checking-in, we were told that our room is located across the road. There were 2 buildings in total; one was featured in most ads, where the view was more acceptable whereas the second one looked just like a row of shop houses.
We have to find our way to the other block and when we entered the second building, the lobby looked old and was not well-kept. We were welcomed with a strong odour, rubbish all over the floor (near the lift and staircase) and with no one (staff) to guide us with the location of the rooms.
The room was reasonable big with spacious bathroom ( i booked for a family room with 3 beds). Complimentary drinks (mineral water and tea/coffee) were given on the 2nd day of our stay. The towels were old and rough (looked just like a floor matt) thank goodness I brought mine!.
Breakfast was just okay, with limited choices. Don’t expect service with a smile, it took them a while to replenish the tea, and when you thanked them, they just don’t respond to you!
I have to check out very early (around 5am to catch my flight), and guess what?? No one was at the reception counter. I was advised by the guard to leave my key there if my deposit was not made in cash. So I just gamble, hoping that nothing will be charged to my card.
What made me stay there was the beautiful view, especially during sunset, and its location (very near to the town and night market).

Room Tip: Do request the room in the main building facing the sea/swimming pool. The second building look mor...
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel's room is dirty and the cleaner only come around 3pm.

Reception counter is not in order and not organize, caused us at least 15-30 minutes to check-in and check-out

There are some uncomforted smell around the cafeteria at the new motel (the one opposite the reception)

Free breakfast is average quality

Room Tip: Rooms at hotel is better than the new motel room type
1  Thank ongyeehuey
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We booked a room in the sea-facing (main) building for a king or 2 single bed room with city view. We were given a room with two king size beds and a sea view, it was a very nice, large room. The grounds are very pleasant, well planted out with a nice large swimming pool. There is even a small beach which they do not advertise, it does not have beachbeds, but the sand is clean. Breakfast was quite good, with several dishes and a chef cooking omelettes to order. Reception staff not too bad, the staff seemed to help as much as they could. Don't know about the building across the parking lot as we did not see inside it. Can't understand all the complaints - as someone says, you get what you pay for - we upped a grade when booking and were upgraded to a sea view on arrival - this has happened before, it does not always pay to choose the cheapest option. It seems to be a business/courses hotel which means it is quiet most of the day for guests on holiday - quite a bonus! Well situated near Kuah centre and the night market, with a shopping mall in the other direction within easy walking distance. The jetty area is walkable , mostly through a park, but if not fully mobile is within 5 mins by car

Room Tip: Worth the sea view option - do as we did, choose to book a step up from the cheapest and cross your...
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm actually a bit skeptical when I booked this hotel.... As per the previous reviewer, it depends on the price you pay... I'm paying RM150/room/night for 2 standard rooms (1 twin and 1 double). So my expectation with this hotel is super duper low or rather no expectation at all.... Ended up, I'm not that disappointed at all..

If you can tolerate all these then this hotel should be good for you:-

1. Initially when we checked in, we were given with 2 rooms - 1008 & 1019 - but one of the room smell badly and the other room was still in a messed and has not been cleaned up at all... So we were given another rooms after my husband "insisted". So we were given room 3021 & 3029. It took about 1 - 1.5 hours just to check in and sort this out....

2. Both rooms are very spacious and with basic amenities but DO NOT expect to see 2 pairs of complimentary slippers in the room.... Bring your own if you need one.. The hotel will provide a pair of "plastic type" of slipper which you will find it useful in the bathroom... DO NOT expect a window with sea view, you need to pay more for this..

3. Housekeeping in this hotel means - changing of towels and replenish the 2 mineral bottles.... DO NOT expect the dustbin to be cleared, or bedsheets to be changed...

4. Extra pillow at no extra charges but the 4th pillow will be charged RM5....

5. Hair dryer upon request.. But the funny thing was, when my husband requested one for me, the staff actually said "We don't have anymore hair dryer at the moment"..... And again my husband "insisted" to have one... And they did send one shortly after...

6. TV channels included AXN, Discovery Channel, Fox Sport, Astro Ria and local channels.. Please request rooms at higher floor as I think the TV reception should be better.

7. Swimming pool will be closed at 7pm "SHARP - on time"... DO NOT expect to get towel from the pool... Make sure you bring your own from your room. And I do agreed with some reviewer about the sunset view.. It's beautiful....

8. Oh the bathroom - with a rain shower - BUT - I supposed due to budget constraint and trying to cut cost, there aren't any glass partitions... We adults don't enjoy it at all. But my 5 years old like it...

9. Breakfast at Tok Majid Cafe is more suitable for local. Most westerner paid extra RM5 and walked to Tok Tijah Cafe for a better and more variety breakfast. DO NOT expect the staff to serve you with a smile... Or rather DO NOT expect the staff to serve you at all...

Breakfast menu:
On Thursday : Fried rice, fried noodles, sausages and cucur pisang with chili and tomato sauce.
Fruits - watermelon and pineapple.
Plain porridge with peanut, ikan bilis, soy sauce, fried onion, green onion or sesame oil.
Corn flakes and rice crisp with milk.
Bread with butter and strawberry jam.
Drinks - mango and orange juice, coffee and tea.

On Friday : Kampung fried rice, fried noodles, sausages and cucur vegetable with chili and tomato sauce.
Potato soup.
Fruits - watermelon and papaya.
Potato soup.
Drinks and cereals remain the same.

On Saturday: Nasi lemak and meehoon with sambal, cucumber and egg, sausage and pan cake with honey, strawberry or chocolate syrup.
Fruits - watermelon and papaya
Porridge and Drinks and Cereals remain the same.

They do have a water dispenser for you to refill your water...

10. When check out, the hotel charged me extra RM10 and told me that my room I've upgraded the breakfast which we didn't. If we were to upgrade our breakfast, it should be for 2 rooms and not for 1. And again I have to "insist".

If you are fine with the above 10 items... Then do click "book it!!" Otherwise search for other hotels.... : )

3  Thank patpo