“I can see myself being a regular here!”

Temple Tree at Bon Ton
Ranked #6 of 159 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We booked a few nights at Temple Tree as the last leg of our honeymoon. I'd always wanted to go to Langkawi but I knew (from being a travel agent) that the bigger fancier resorts at Langkawi were generally overpriced and a little overrated. So when I found Temple Tree and Bon Ton Resort (next door) - through Trip Advisor - I was excited about staying somewhere a little different and was hoping to be very happy with my choice.
Well... I was absolutely in love with the place from the first minute to the very last. We felt immediately at home thanks to all the lovely welcoming staff.

Things to love about Temple Tree and Bon Ton:
- Welcome drinks
- Great coffee
- The food at both Temple Tree and Bon Ton is amazing! Make sure you eat at both (many times).
- Service in the restaurant at Temple Tree is perfection, and likewise for Bon Ton.
- Our house 'black and white house' was gorgeous! Stylish, colourful, quirky, luxurious, and spacious. Two waterfall showerheads, a japanese bath which was surprisingly very comfortable with two people!
- The swimming pools are heaven. Love the long skinny pool!
- Afternoon snacks by the pool - lovely surprise and tasty morsels
- The staff (and special mention to the manager) were incredibly helpful and efficient. They booked us a hire car which arrived in 15 minutes, a fabulous massage nearby and a mangrove tour which was excellent (Dev's Adventure tours).
- The cats around the place are gorgeous and we loved their company.
- The local malay food night at Bon Ton
- Best laksa ever at Bon Ton restaurant !
- Awesome cocktails!
- Great wines! and the staff remembered which wines I liked

Overall a fabulous experience and we can't wait to go back and spend more time lounging by the pool and eating laksa.

3  Thank Josefina79
There are newer reviews for Temple Tree at Bon Ton

Reviewed December 17, 2010

Very relaxing place to stay. Room (Estate 1) was large and very comfortable. Service very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the room worked for us, but might not suit everyone. The pool areas are nice and you have use of next door Bon Ton facilities as well. The only downsides are that it's a 10-15 minute walk to the beach and you can get some aircraft noise from the nearby airport. As other reviewers have said, make sure you like cats.

Reviewed December 9, 2010

Oh my goodness, where do I start.
Temple Tree is the most accommodating, most amazing looking place I've stayed in.
Starting off with the rooms, there are so many little things that make you feel like your the best person, from the little bath rocks to the plunger coffee, everything is so delightful at Temple Tree.
If you are looking for a relaxing holiday where you just want everything done for you with the best everything come to Temple Tree.

I am personally pretty picky when it comes to the little things, but this place had me so wrapped for so long.

If you can afford it, definitely come here. Without question.

Reviewed December 4, 2010

This accommodation is made up of colonial beautiful buildings that are all very different. The swimming pool is elegantly simple with complimentary afternoon food which was great. the main building was a superb place for your evening meal with unbelievably helpful and friendly staff. The manager, Dennis goes out of his way and always seems to be there. The food was the best we had in Malaysia and they make a mean mojito! I would recommend this to everyone and it's far nicer than being in the big commercial resorts.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Disclaimer: I live on this island and I am a regular customer of Bon Ton and Temple Tree but I am in no way related to their business.
Every so often I stay in either one of them for a night or two to give myself a bonus. This time I had the chance to stay for only one night in the Chinese House.
This house indeed takes your breath away! Sitting on the balcony of the upper floor for the sunset or in the morning – at any time actually, you will love it. The view is magic. Overlooking the swampy area behind the resort and at the horizon you can even see a bit of the ocean. The mountains in the background are majestic, and give you the impression of being in the highlands.
The house itself to describe is beyond my vocabulary; just that you want to live here forever!
The bed was extraordinary comfy and I slept at least 10 hours. I invited some cats to stay with me (if you don’t like them, it is easy to get them out)
I did not need the air-condition for the night and neither the mosquito net. I have not been bitten at all!
For dinner I went just down to the restaurant and coincidently they had the special menu this evening. It was superb as always.
Dennis, the Manager of the resort is just the perfect host! He would go any extra mile to ensure that you have anything you might need and you can see and feel that he loves the resort and his job.
Although I did not know any of the other guests, we quickly chatted around and had a great time.
Even if you just come here for dinner, you will not regret spending your money!
Eva
P.S. Dear Narell and Alison,
My honest admiration goes to you for what you have achieved for Langkawi. Keep up excellent work!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaptainEva
Reviewed November 23, 2010

A distinctively different experience. We got an immediate upgrade as soon as they saw me, because I was too tall for the bed in the Bon Ton hut we'd booked. Then we were welcomed and talked through everything with a pineapple mint tea. Our room had 15 cushions, assorted bits of antique furniture, and 2 IKEA rugs (nice ones, though). The whole area is very natural. You can see plenty of birds and flowers. Staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Food remarkably good; we shared a Nonya Platter followed by a Sandwich Duo dessert: both delicious, and quite enough for two normal appetites.
The only drawback is the breakfast, which is brought to your room the evening before: poor-quality fruit, and the rest is sugar - juice, cake, little jars of honey and marmalade. Non-sugary was the salty cheese bread one morning that we were expected to put the honey and marmalade on. No protein at all. The tea and ground coffee supply is OK. They really need to improve this.
There is an animal sanctuary on site, so cat-allergy people might not be happy. We enjoyed having them around.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markdalton73
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Temple Tree in Langkawi is one of the most unique and wonderful places we've stayed. All the rooms are set in restored antique wooden houses which have been tastefully decorated in their own individual style to suit each type of house. An eclectic, colourful and quirky mix of antique, chinese, malay, indian and contemporary styles with the odd bit of Ikea thrown in for fun. Nothing is too precious and everything about the resort is perfect for relaxing and indulging.

We stayed in the Black and White House which had it's own Japanese hot tub in the bedroom as well as a separate sitting room and it's own gym room. All the rooms have air conditioning and there was free wifi throughout. The owners of the resort also run Lassie, an animal shelter for stray cats and dogs here in Langkawi. A percentage of proceeds from the resort go towards the shelter. If you love cats, you will absolutely love it here as they 'rule the roost'. We had several cats which followed us everywhere for cuddles.

The location is about 10 mins drive from the airport. Whilst there is no beach next to the resort as such, there are 2 lap type swimming pools to choose from. The nearest beach is only 5 mins drive away. I would recommend hiring a car for a few days to explore the island. It is small so it is quite easy to tour around for the day. We went to Datai Bay (stunning but unfortunately you need to stay at the resort to use this beach), Tanjung Rhu Beach and took the Cable Car up Mt Cincang which was fantastic for island views.

The staff are excellent, the restaurants are fabulous and we had an amazing time here.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple