“unique and special”

Ranked #6 of 150 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“unique and special”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Temple Tree for a 3 day long weekend and couldn't have been happier. The houses are really cool and the pool was great for lounging around. We hired a car to explore the villages and island but were happier spending the most of our time at the Temple Tree. We managed to sample most of the food on the menu at the Bon Ton restaurant and it was all tasty and reasonably priced. We're looking forward to our next visit at Temple Tree.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for a week last August at the end of a 3 week trip across Malaysia. It was the perfect place to unwind. Rooms are not luxurious but are comfortable, although you might have to share it with the wildlife (cats, lizards, and the odd cockroach). We were given spray to get rid of any creepy crawlies, which visit due to the rustic nature of the accommodation. We loved the set-up of the place - individual houses spread through the lush grounds. The staff here are amazing, so friendly and helpful. Extra touches like fruit and cocktails brought to us at the pool were much appreciated. We ate in the restaurant a couple of times and really enjoyed the food. We also drank gallons of the delicious pineapple mint tea! The beach and resort are a 5 minute taxi ride away, and easy to do. If you want 5 star luxury, this place may not be for you, but if you like somewhere a bit different and more personal, give it a try!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed March 12, 2013

So, where should I start ?? If I could give more than 5 points which means already excellent I would...wrote a mail to tripadvisor if they they can make an exception just for temple tree, because the time we had there was truly out of this world !

I spend 3 wonderful days at TT , when we (my parents and me) arrived, Richelle, the Resort Manager was already waiting for us and greeted us by names, we felt right from the beginning, what true and genuine hospitality is... Richelle invited us for a welcome drinks, a mix of tea, mint and pineapple juice which was delicious, we sat outside on the veranda and did the check n formalities, very quick and easy... Richelle escorted us to our room(Plantation 1) , an amazing 2 bedroom flat with extraordinary furnitures and cozy ambience....we couldn't believe our eyes, everything was so special, all those little details, just amazing !! We settled, changed and headed to the pool area. The pool is just lovely, the water is chilled, and the sun beds (total 16 with umbrellas) were very comfy :) the pool is a designer pool I believe , very stylish, never seen before, about 20-25 meter in length and 2 meter width...we lounged in the sun the whole day, Mas from the restaurant/bar came every 20 minutes with complimentary ice water to refill our glasses and to keep us hydrated, just lovely. Mas was really friendly and attentive, it was so nice talking to her, a pleasant character and one of the good souls of TT:) when we were chilling by the pool, Rachelle approached us, asking about our satisfaction...she offered us a room upgrade to Colonial 4 , which is even bigger than the room we had before, she said that the room will be not occupied for the next days, so she would like to make our stay even more comfortable !!! How awesome is that ??? The guys helped to move our luggage, needles to say, Colonial 4 was breathtaking ! Everybody had their own bathrooms, separate lounge, a wooden tub at the end of the corridor, very very stylish !!! Little amenities such as: locally made balm for sunburn, Moscito spray, high quality shampoos and body lotions !! I stayed in so many hotels and guest houses in my life, but TT was the most special place !! The owner has an eye for beautiful things, all those little details, antique furnitures, the staff there, everybody seems to enjoy their work and they loved what they do...

My mum loved to take the resort dog "JJ" out for a walk, we loved playing with the cats and kittens, the breakfast ( they put the evening before a continental brekkie into your Minibar) , was absolutely enough and we liked the idea...so you don't have to get ready in the morning to go to a buffet...just like at home, you open the fridge and you get your first meal of the day, whenever you liked...

One of the staff, Yazid, recommended us a nice Seafood restaurant, 5 minutes from TT (Orkid Rea), please see me review about it, it was really really good and we had a great time.

My father and I rented scooters and we just explored the island, my mum chilled by the pool and had some awesome "me time" ...

Dear Richelle & TT team, thanks again from the bottom of our heart for such a wonderful time. Even though it was a short stay, we enjoyed it to the fullest and we will be surely back and recommend your beautiful place to all friends :)

Tobi with Parents :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
gold coast, australia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our third stay at the Temple Tree. Everything was just as good as it was the previous two times. The staff were super friendly. The food was fantastic - I think we ate every meal for the week at the Temple Tree and the Bon Ton. And the atmosphere was as peaceful and relaxing as I remembered it. We had booked Penang 2, though got upgraded to Penang 1, which are both beautiful rooms.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the houses over the estates. I've stayed in the Colonial and the Penang buil...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank azzabazza18
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have an awesome stayed in Temple Tree Plantation house 5. We stayed there during the CNY and the price almost on par with 5 star resorts. Fortunately, we get what we wanted and the suite room exceeded our expectation. It was very comfortable and given us a unique and luxury feels. Please note that this resort is full of friendly cats and a cute dog called JJ(please please bring him a walk as he loves it). Staffs are very friendly too! The only minus point is the breakfast as it is too simple, consider my suggestion improve it by adding eggs and sausages at least!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed her for 9 nights over Christmas and New Year 2012 in Plantation House 6. We had a very spacious apartment with 1 double room & en suite on one side of the lounge area and a twin room & en suite on the other side. The whole place is decorated with style and an eye for colour though my one caveat is that as the furniture is a kind of distressed Chinese antique style, wooden benches etc, there was no comfortable place to lounge about reading a book inside - not really an issue unless it rains. Bathroom was enormous. What makes this hotel worthy of an "Excellent" rating is the staff. Everyone is really friendly and goes out of their way to help you. They will organise yoga sessions, massages, trips to the mangrove area (Dev's tours highly recommended) We ate here a lot as we enjoyed the quality of the food. It is probably not cheap in comparison with other restaurants but it is cooked with love and still a lot cheaper than London! The Plantation House 6 is an open structure so you can sometimes hear the guests in other parts of the house. However, most guests respect others and throughout our 9 days we never had a problem with noise. The Christmas dinner at the associated Bon Ton restaurant was excellent with crackers and silly hats to make us feel at home. Breakfast is delivered to the fridge in your room the day before. The advantage of this is that you can have breakfast when you want and you don't have to get dressed. The downside is that you don't have much choice. The resort is about 10-15 minutes from the beach. The town of Chenang is a bit further but taxis are very easy to get and are very cheap. Don't stay here if you don't like cats, though having said that, I am not a great fan, and simply made sure all the doors were closed when entered or left the apartment. Our family (2 daughters early 30s) all enjoyed the holiday and we would all recommend it to others.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here in January 2011 (I have been lax with adding this review, so couldn't put in the proper date that we stayed) for one night at the end of our 2 month honeymoon (we stayed at Bon Ton for 4 nights at the start of our honeymoon). It was wonderful!
We expected that being the 'little sister' of Bon Ton (it seems all the top reviews etc. go to Bon Ton) it would be something less than its infamous sister. However, we were delighted to find a charming, rustically but stylishly appointed, spacious and really lovely place to stay, that was different to, but in my opinion the equal of Bon Ton.

On arrival we found that there had been an accidental double booking and our room (can't recall which we booked, possibly Colonial 1) wasn't available, which after a long trip from India almost sent my wife and I into tears, however, without hesitation they gladly upgraded us to another, more expensive room for no extra charge - the delightful Colonial 2.
It had oodles of space to laze about in, a huge bathroom, as well as a large outdoor space with bath and sun lounges.

The bed was quite comfy, and the room quiet, which was a blessing after a long trip to get there. It was lovely to have cats coming and visiting us, and although they put on an air of hurt and disappointment, they were not fussed about being put out when we didn't want them in our room. I wouldn't stay here if you dislike cats, or are allergic to them, as they roam freely about, but if your feelings towards cats are somewhere between apathetic and love, then it won't be a problem.

The restaurant here was excellent, I think better than at Bon Ton (though Bon Ton was great too), and the staff and service throughout were brilliant, and genuinely friendly and pleased to see you, not that affected friendliness that can make you feel dirty at some hotels. The pool was beautiful as at Bon Ton, with a more open feel of the pool and surrounds at Bon Ton with the more rural views over the wetland.

The only downside would be the cost of the rooms and the restaurant, which I feel is a touch high, but you know the cost before going, so if you're comfortable with that then go for it!

I think the only difference between Bon Ton and Temple Tree would be preference for the different styles - lovely, free standing, wooden rustic plantation houses at Bon Ton, vs lovely spacious and quiet suites in larger houses in a range of styles at Temple Tree.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple