“quiet but far”
Review of Senari Bay Resort

Senari Bay Resort
Ranked #17 of 161 Langkawi B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Peaceful hang out with little private bay, hammocks, but far from main beach. The hotel provide very basic facilities i.e. only rooms (with ac, hot water, tv, wifi etc) They don't provide breakfast, or any other food. For any food, you have to walk at least 10-15 min. That's the only disadvantage. Rest it is fine.

Room Tip: please buy food and stack it in fridge. They have mini fridge.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pushkar K

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I booked Senari after reading previous reviews. We were met at the airport by the owner's 2 friendly sons. As we drive onto the property we were a bit afraid we had made a big mistake, but we had not! The owner insisted we see our rooms before checking in, the rooms (2) were spotless clean, nice sized and 4 feet from the clean sand of the beach. The owner helped us with requests for taxis, and tours which where reasonable priced. Every evening we sat and talked with the owner and her lovely daughter and had ice cream, they were always smiling and extremely friendly. The taxi ride to the main strip was only RM $10.00 ($3.30 USD) and they were always there in 5 minutes or less. Recommend you have at least one dinner at the Boat Qyae Restraunt next door. Also had a great dinner at the Brasiere in town. Breakfast was best at the chinese restaraunt directly across the street from Underwater World. Would stay at Senari Bay Resort again for sure!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jon E
Reviewed March 26, 2012

If you're not looking for luxury but rather for clean, simple, right on the beach location, then this is the place for you! On top of that I got very good wireless connection that allowed me to upload most of the pictures I took there. Friendly staff. I totally recommend that you rent a bike from the front desk (30MYR/day) and you can freely explore the whole island.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Alexandru M
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have stayed in this resort from 26 Feb 2012 to 03 March 2012. Its a vey very very very good place to live. very quite place and with a private beach, every facility is available, for breakfast Mangsoor give me bike for half hour for FREE. he arranged the very very very good car on just reasonable rates. very cooperative people and family runs this business. His wife Ida helped us in many things as we didnt knew about langkawi much, she arranged every day activity for us and with very very reasonable rates that is less from market rates, and I have personally verified this. She cares a lot for thier guests. Her daughter is so sweet and caring and anytime we enter the resort, there is always a very very cute welcome smile on her face, the best smile in Langkawi.
She also helped us in many things.
If you request Ida, Everyday in early morning they can wake u up if u inform them in night, so that you dont miss your activity. Her advises were best. Also she discounted me 1 day motor bike rent (25 MYR) :) Thanks a lot Ida.
All basic necessities are available there that you need to live with. Air conditioners are in very good condition, room is always clean, cold drinking water is available anytime you want.
I recommend you to stay at SENARI bay resort when ever you visit to Langkawi. its really very cool, quiet place. Every one says that main happening beach is 15mins away from there, but I say that its very good its 15mins away because you will not do jetski, banana boat or parasailing everyday, so u have to go only one day for all this stuff and the rest days you have to go other places in langkawi.. so thats good that u are little far from main area and you found very relaxing environment.. also very clear sea water on private beach.

Have a good tour couples :) don't forget to keep lot and lot of sun blocks. umbrella (anytime it can rain there)

Thanks Mangsoor, Ida and all family members

Room Tip: Select the corner room to enjoy the full private beach, very good view. enjoy sunset and sun rise al...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fahad_bAvA
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I booked this place from reading TA's recommendations.

It is a quiet place - located along a river stretch where fishing boats are moored just before the jetty that is undergoing construction. It's not very shady during the day so best to enjoy the place in the early mornings and late evenings and nights. I would also recommend that you have your own wheels to move about although several TA reviewers use a shortcut to get to Pantai Cenang. It's still a fair walking distance and the inner roads are not lit at night. For this reason, I would have rated the location as 'poor' but since I was already driving a car, I'm rating it as 'average'. The owner has motorbikes and cars for rental.

The brown beach is not easily accessible. The entire front portion of the resort fronting the beach have concrete pilings with rusty steel rods coming out and rocky boulders. There is a spot where you have to walk to the other block of rooms, then descend down to a sandy part of the beach before gingerly crossing over these obstacles without getting too close to the steel rods.

The room is clean and spacious (I requested for a room facing the beach if available) and got one of the corner rooms so I could draw open the curtains on the side windows to see the white sandy courtyard and the Andaman Sea beyond. The floor though felt as if there was an oily slick like that of sun block lotion - maybe it was the floor cleaner to protect the ceramic tiles - but I brought my own house slippers which I used.

Outside each room is a laundry line so you can hang out your swimwear or clothes as well as a table and two chairs to view the sea (and every time you angle the chair to face the sea view, it is always later returned to its original place - facing the inner courtyard) showing how the local family who manages the place likes everything prim and proper. The resort's courtyard of white sand is dutifully cleared of leaves - a lady goes round with her sack and garden rake every morning without fail.

In the centre, between the two blocks of rooms, is an open-sided rotunda with hammocks but with only one usable one - the rest are hung just too low. This is nice to catch the evening breeze but beware of mosquitoes and there are a few hanging about.

At night, you can lie on the deck chairs at the edge of the resort just before the drop to the beach and see, on cloudless nights, an amazing star spectacle. I'm not sure how possible this is on Pantai Cenang where there are more hotels and light pollution. Mosquitoes also like this area. This is also the flight path of arriving and departing planes, so you can also see and hear them crossing the mouth of the bay - night or day.

At the mouth of the bay is a permanent barge, which at night, has a noisy generator going and pop music - sounds as if there are people living there. With the air-conditioning on in the room, the sounds are however muffled.

Priced at RM150/night, it is rather steep - you could get similar rooms with a nicer beach with easy access for RM120-RM130 on Pantai Cenang and daily room cleaning. Here, your rooms are cleaned every 2-3 days but if you need anything - whether it's a toilet roll or fresh towels, you can always request and get them from the family who stays on the premises. Security was not an issue here either.

I've not had a hospitality problem with the owners - I saw more of the wife than Mr Mangsor - and she was always asking about my day, whether I've eaten etc. In fact, although I texted them that I will check in later at 3.30pm, I arrived at 2pm because I was feeling tired. My room was not ready because another guest had opted for a late check-out. The wife graciously allowed me to have a nap in another room and provided me with a litre of cold bottled water. They said they would inform me when the room was ready, but I suspected they didn't want to disturb me until I was awake and that was two hours later.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best view of the sea, but then you're also closer to the barge generator a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank assamkl
Reviewed February 1, 2012

the room is nice and clean with basic facilities.. very quiet surrounding (this can be up or down factor for certain people). the location is not far from pantai cenang hotspot..

but as a local guest from KL, we expect to get same "smile and advice" from the owner Mangsor as what i read from the previous reviews.. but i never get that in 2 nights stay.. it's the same thing happened to me when i visit Perhentian Island last year when there's "peak season".. most of the front desk person told me they are focusing on "mat saleh" (local word to describe white people or international tourist)

i thing we only can get that "smile" from the owner on "off-peak season" when there's very few "mat saleh" around the island..

Room Tip: not recomended if you are malaysian...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anna_Hana
Reviewed January 24, 2012

completely Laid-back resort located far from the main happening area and this place is suitable only for people who seek silent secluded place for a holiday.
Even for breakfast /Lunch, you need to hire the motorbike / car from the owner and drive for 10-15 mts.
Nice view and peaceful place.
If you are coming to Langkawi by plane, this place is easily reachable.
If you are coming from Kuah , its quite far and takes about an hour to reach.
Nice service and hospitality, the owners directed us the way to drive and helped to call for taxi when needed.Do not expect much from this place.Nice small rooms with basic facilities.

Room Tip: The water heater in room 2 did nt work and when reported, the owners were kind enough and they immed...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family