“Organized, Smooth, Clean”

Book In Advance
More Info
$50.00*
and up
One-Way Ferry Ticket from Penang to Langkawi with...
Ranked #48 of 63 things to do in Langkawi
Reviewed August 29, 2018

We took the ferry from Langkawi to Penang and were impressed! The port looks and feels more like an airport, and the ferry was pretty comfortable. Took about 3 hours to get to Penang, and navigated well through the choppy water. Keep in mind your bags get thrown with everyone else's bag and your stuff may be crushed.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"jacket"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

Before we boarded the ferry we were sick with nerves after reading the reviews. We grabbed several sick bags which were provided as a safety measure for what may come. Lots of others were doing the same.
As it turned out it was probably the calmest boat journey we've had to date. The staff were very friendly and helpful. All emergency exits were clear of bags which were stacked in a designated area in front of the seating area, like many other ferry companies do. They showed 2 kids movies while we were on board.
Air con was good, no sweating and no freezing. The ports on both sides were quite impressive, more so Langkawi, very modern like walking through an airport.
There was a smell of fuel in the beginning but it subsided after a while and the seats were quite close together.
All in all a very pleasant experience. It really must be down to the weather and sea conditions at the time of travel.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

The boat trip from Penang to Langkawi was torture. The boat is so small you can hardly call it a ferry. As a result, it nearly capsizes with every wave. For 3,5 hours I was paralyzed with fear, while my neighbor was vomiting from seasickness. I’m so relieved I made it out alive.
I heard that the plane to Langkawi costs about 25 euros. I would have gladly paid the 10 euros extra to avoid this near-death experience.

1  Thank charlottefabri
Reviewed August 19, 2018

having read the other reviews i can concur that it is one rough piece of water.
the ferry was going up and down and sideways almost the whole journey.
Luckily i didnt get sea sick, but if you think you might, it would be a better option to catch the train or bus to Kedah and then get the ferry from there, i did that trip on the way back from Langkawi and it was as smooth as

1  Thank Brent H
See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

We went from Penang to Langkawi and it just feels so unorganised and hectic. The actual journey itself isn't too bad, really. It's an extremely boring journey and I don't like how crammed in I felt, but if you take a book and are lucky enough to sit in the isle seat, it's not completely unbearable.

(I suggest going to the toilet beforehand because the state of the loos are appalling. Sick and urine absolutely everywhere).

My main issue is how the staff treat the luggage. There's absolutely no organisation or any clear plan regarding the sheer volume of suitcases/bags etc. There's well over 100 people on this boat, all with luggage and the staff place all of it in a pile, meaning if you go over an aggressive wave, all the bags are just all over the boat. So when you eventually arrive at your destination, your luggage could be anywhere.

I'm a bit of a cheap skate and I swear to you, it's worth paying a little bit more for the plane. 100%

4  Thank Zutroyhere