“The best place to stay on the island Langkawi”

Sunset Valley Holiday Houses
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Sunset Valley for 2 weeks at Christmas time. The resort is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for beautiful flora and fauna in combination with a fantastic location. Surrounded by jungle and paddy's you sleep in a beautiful built traditional Malay house. It was paradise to us.
Gudrun's service and hospitality were impressive, the peaceful surroundings did the rest. We definitively will come back!
Ed and Jose Meijer

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Our family of 4 planned to stay 4 nights here, but could not tolerate the wildlife INSIDE the house and left after 2 nights. A large gecko next to the main bed, 2 frogs, and lots of ants. Ants on the floor is fine, but its not when they start crawling onto the beds...I had trouble sleeping the second night when the "invasion" become more serious.

To be fair, the place is really nice, and the view of the mountains is lovely. The new owner is also very friendly. In fact, my 2 young kids actually thought having all this wildlife around was fun and exciting!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in the forest house and our hosts were most welcoming.
The forest house is spacious enough for two adults and two kids, any extra people would have to sleep without nets and the mosquitos are quite vicious!
come prepared with mosquito spray in hand and plug in mosquito repellants.
I would advise you to take advantage of the AC which is 25 RM per day extra, we had trouble sleeping without it, it is pretty humid at night time. The house is quite charming and quaint and open to the elements from all sides, so there is plenty of wildlife inside and outside!
Our only criticism is that we would have preferred to have had a cleaner available during our stay to empty bins and do some general clean up and we would have been happy to pay for this, we found the house kitchen to be below our required standards of hygiene even on our day of arrival and were not always comfortable to use it. for short stays it is probably not such a big issue, but we stayed for 8 days and within 5 days we had bathroom bins overflowing with tissues which we could not put down the toilets (or it will block the system) and the bin outside was also packed to the top with our rubbish and not emptied until we left.
We used the swimming pool which is a very nice area and quite picturesque with the paddy fields behind and the mountains in the distance, but developed an ear infection towards the end of the week which we thought was because the pool was not properly cleaned, at the start of our stay there appeared to be no chlorine in the pool, but the last two days it seemed that somebody had rectified this issue and there was too much chlorine. It might be worth investing in a proper PH management system for the pool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We rented the Padi and Forest houses for our family of 5 for five days. Our hosts were very welcoming and helpful and we particularly enjoyed our afternoon on the Educat catamaran. We found mosquitoes were not a problem although we used plug in and personal repellants just in case. The pool area was lovely but with more than two families space was at a premium. Our family loved swimming in the waterfall pools and trying the night markets.
You must have a car to stay here as the nearest food shack is a 30 min walk and we did find that local restaurants were difficult to find. Driving at night is not a good idea so keep a stock of food in your fridge.

Room Tip: The Forest house is large and well equipped. Padi house more suitable for two persons and not three.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
KrinaLangkawi, Owner at Sunset Valley Holiday Houses, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

We love that our guests had a very nice time and want to put this review in perspective of the ramadan time, thats is why it was a problem to get food. Then our local stalls are all closed. Normaly we have already at 10 minutes walk a very nice restaurant. We have a convenient store under our house which is very "convenient" if you like to stay on our spot.

We have good maintained roads, but you always have to look for "wild" life, like buffalo's or cow's.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at the Forest House for 1 week, myself and my partner and two friends of ours. The location and setting were beautiful, sitting by the pool with a beer watching the sun set over the paddy fields was definitely a highlight. The house itself was very nice, although the open nature of the building didn't offer much privacy between rooms. The veranda was beautiful, and the amenities provided were good. There were a few problems with ants in the kitchen, but when nature is right on your doorstop it's to be expected, and the same anywhere in the tropics really. Ria and Andre were wonderful, and couldn't do enough to help us plan our activities and provide us with information. The only other negative we had was that the man who looks after the gardens was away whilst we were staying, so we had to skim the pool every morning ourselves, but it was no big deal, and everyone deserves some time off! Overall a really nice location, and very kind hosts.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The location was beautiful and the owners were so hospitable and laid back. We stayed in the forest house with three children. The sounds of nature around us was wonderful, however there was a bit too much nature in the rooms! Little one was bitten a lot by Mosquitos even with nets and the ants moved in on us. Huge geckos were sharing the cabin with us too! Apart from that we really enjoyed the experience. We stayed on a beach resort afterwards but were glad we had enjoyed living inland for a few days...paddy field and mountain visats were lovely.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Claire J
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I loved my little paddy house from the first time I saw it on line and was never disappointed. I stayed at Sunset Valley for a week by myself and wished for more. The house was charming, perfect for one person and certainly big enough for two. The grounds are beautiful and beautifully maintained, full of flowers, coconut palms, hornbills at sunset, the resident lemurs flying from tree to tree. The property is surrounded by rice paddy and rubber trees and feels very far from the busy parts of the island, though access is quick to beaches and town. There are only 5 cottages plus the owners house, and though it was fully booked when I was there, it felt very private and peaceful.

My house had a small terrace overlooking the lawn and pool. It was occasionally rainy while I was there and my terrace was a perfect sheltered spot to watch the passing storms.
The pool was a great size--not huge, but I wasn't sharing it with anyone most of the time, though Ria and her local friends did invite me to join their regular morning water aerobics class. It was fun and a good work out with a chance to chat with other island ex-pats.

Andre and Ria were gracious hosts, inviting me to accompany them to town for dinner several times and introducing me to the group that gathered most evenings for a cocktail at sunset. Ask Ria to direct you to the local department store in Kuah town for really fun shopping at local prices--sarongs, pillow covers, fabric, traditional dress items for men, women, and children as well as an extra shirt or pair of shorts if you need something. I bought sarongs and sari fabrics for great prices.

You do need a car, but I think you would no matter where you stay in Langkawi--it's an interesting island and it would be a shame not to get around a bit. I rented one from Sunset Valley for a few days--it was easy and fairly priced and in good shape. And I only had to pay for a car when I wanted one. They were always more than fair about all things financial.

I will certainly return to Sunset Valley if I come back to Langkawi and I might come back just to stay here again...

Room Tip: I loved the Paddy House as a single. I would like it less for 2 as the bathroom is divided from the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo