“Tapaz at the dock of the bay, it's Sangria time all day.”
Review of Tapaz

Tapaz
Ranked #54 of 487 Restaurants in Langkawi
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I visited Tapaz both alone and with company, and it was always enjoyable. The first night was the result of a steamy day of walking in the rainforest followed by a meal elsewhere in Perdana Quay, with a nightcap of french fries and onion rings with a jug of sangria. My partner's appreciation for good onion rings complements my occasional capacity and desire for good sangria, and together we made a lovely couple, perched out on a bench seat by a table right next to the water.
The sangria was delicious and refreshing, and had an unexpected flavour that might have been mangosteen or something similar, and washing down the freshly made fried food with the ample and affordable drinks was a pleasure.
Our late night snack break was made all the more entertaining because one of the staff was just delightfully grumpy. Excepting her the staff are pleasant and jovial, but in all seriousness I enjoyed the contrast she made against the backdrop of easygoing indulgence the place provides. Not typical, perhaps, but I enjoy the odd grumpy waitress or waiter on my travels; makes it all seem somehow more real. She wasn't rude or unhelpful at all, just clearly not bursting with enthusiasm for being there.

My next visit to Tapaz was unplanned. I was slogging through the heat and humidity Langkawi turned on for us - probably unusually pronounced if the number of shop attendants I saw taking refuge in the open doors of drink refrigerators is any indicator - when I spied Perdana Quay again and slumped my soggy, wilted, weary frame down under a fan outside Tapas.

I'd planned only drinks but was lulled by the rocking of the boats and gentle slapping of the tamed ocean agaist the dock and stayed for lunch and a couple of beers. The Salad Nicoise was fresh and tasty, with Danish feta adding an unexpected zing, and the tempura fish was similarly good, and clearly made with recently caught fish. I tried not to eat the accompanying fries with aioli while I did some writing but tastebuds and discipline eventually stalemated and I ate half of them.

On another visit my partner and I went to Tapaz for dinner. The greek salad, squid, bruschetta, and chicken wings made for a lovely dinner, again overlooking the bay. The crew of a till then shuttered wealthy owner's yacht were making it ready to set sail, providing a nice counterpoint to the gentle slapping of waves against the harbour wall.
Halfway through dinner the disenchanted waitress of previous mention came on shift to complement her cheerier counterpart. After observing what might well have been the owner sitting at another table with his young daughter - he with an imperious sense of entitlement I found a tad offputting (I have to say: I don't own or run a restaurant, and have no idea what it takes. Maybe this is one way to maintain standards. I am not an expert, except in consuming their output) - I moved from enjoyment of to sympathy for the waitress I dubbed "sweet miss grumpalot".

The food is fine fare, and affordable for Langkawi. The service is also good, and you should take my observations about my favourite Malaysian waitress with a pinch of salt. There's nothing here not to like, and a lot to love, and in spite of being one of the world's renowned perspirers and seekers of coolth, I will carry away with me fond memories of eating and drinking at Tapaz under a quiet but present fan, with a great harbour view.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Extensive menu and the food was really good. We enjoyed sitting out in the evening or over lunch enjoying the view. Really convenient being just next to the hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

great choice, great fresh food, and very good value drinks in a 5 hour happy hour. Good choice for kids

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Reviews for this place are a bit mixed. It is a nice enough setting. We ate here twice. The first night we had a selection of tapas. They were pretty good. Food was fresh and well cooked. The second time we had the paella and it was very good. It was packed full of seafood which was all perfectly cooked. The service was a little slow. You tended to have to call staff over to order etc rather than them coming to you in a timely manner. Overall it is a good choice if you are getting sick of the food in your hotel.

Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here twice during our 4 day stay. The tapas are great and very tasty and the mains we ordered were fantastic. Freshly cooked and served hot. Beer or sangria was buy one get one free (bonus). Millionaire boats to view and people watch. We would personally recommend the homemade burger and the salmon.