“Nice restaurant! Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of USSR - CLOSED

USSR
Cuisines: Russian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Newcastle, Australia
“Nice restaurant! Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good food, but décor is quite dated. Service was fantastic! Reasonably priced. Should be a restaurant closer to town!

Visited October 2013

Brisbane, Australia
“Mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I dined here and although my husband's Chicken Kiev was enjoyable I found the Beef Stroganoff small by comparison and gave me severe cramps and gastric disturbances about 5 hours later.
Barbara, Australia

Visited October 2013
“A Little Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Don't hesitate to try this restaurant out. The decor is a little off putting with everything red. The service was good and food delicious. We ate the Beef Stroganoff and the Chicken Kiev which were superbly cooked. The drinks menu is vast with good prices. Over all a great little restaurant with outstanding service.

• Visited September 2013
Alor Setar, Malaysia
“A Russian Feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was a bit skeptical throughout my visits to Langkawi over the course of the past four years and it is purely out of the uncertainty of how the food would turn up that had me focused on the more familiar restaurants around the corner at Telaga Harbour; rather than the USSR restaurant. From the outside, you could grasp the true vibrant feel of the interior decor which is draped all over in red coupled with the posters of previous and current prominent leaders of the republic. To be honest, I have never in the past sampled a Russian dish and so with some slight trepidation and palpitations, I decided to finally walk into the restaurant for dinner during my last visit to Langkawi.

I must say that it was the most delightful evening spent in the almost empty restaurant at that particular night. Sighting a non-peaked season, I had the whole place to myself and with that, I took the opportunity to snap off some photographs just prior to sampling their local delicacies. The waiter was extremely pleasant and helpful in aiding me with the signature dishes that he recommended. He was so convincing that I decided to follow with what he suggested. I had my fair share of their baked beef draped in cheese, potatoes and tomato slices coupled with a side dish of broccoli and cauliflower smothered with mild salad dressing that night and despite its simplicity (I was dining alone), it made my night special. The food was just right in all aspects and despite the cheesy appearance (photo provided) of the main dish, I wasn't overwhelmed with the consequence of having quite an amount of it. I still have a lot more to try on their other menu listings and would reserve the whole general comments of food restricted but I believe that the ultimate point of selling this place off to diners would be their vivid decor that aims to recreate the ambiance of a Russian affair. And I believe they manage to do it well.

• Visited April 2013
“Great restaurant - don't be put off by its name!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great food and very reasonable prices. Don't be scared by it being a Russian restaurant, the menu is fairly standard with some good local dishes as well as those with a Russian twist. I had the assorted seafood which was fantastic. A must visit!

• Visited August 2013