“Thai amongst the trees”

Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Thai amongst the trees”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Great setting high almost in the forest canopy, really good food and the usual friendly and attentive Datai service.

Visited September 2012

• Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The food was absolutely wonderful here. My only problem, being arachnaphobic.....we're the spiders above my head! But this is an open air restaurant in a rainforest, so it is to be expected! I'm sure if I'd asked to be moved, nothing would have been too much trouble. The chef came out after we had finished our meal for us to thank him for such a lovely meal. Slightly over attentive staff ( if you can call that a problem) maybe that was because they were not full, so they had more time.

Visited September 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I used to visit the restaurant years ago when I was based in Langkai it was the end of week treat. The setting is still stunning, the starters were great but the main course ranged from average to awful. My theory is that we turned up at the exact time everyone breaks their fast during Ramadan so I can only assume the kitchen was empty and only the b- team holding the fort. This also happened at the lobby bar same sort of time the following day where it took 20 mins for an ice lemon tea to arrive, they did apologies and didnt charge for it but the waitress said there was only one staff looking after the kitchen at the time.

• Visited August 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Truly unique magical Thai gourmet Rainforest experience”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We visited the Pavilion twice whilst staying for a week at The Datai (see separate Datai review). Picture the idyllic scene; this is a small (maybe 60-80 covers) restaurant, 100 feet high elevated on natural wood posts, in the middle of the canope of Langkawi Rainforest. As with the rest of The Datai the service is impeccable, and the food is incredible. On our first visit we ordered a range of main courses – standout dishes included the richest massamam curry we have ever tasted, exquisite Phad Thai, plus some fabulous prawns in chili and lemongrass. A few reviews have stated that they found the food too hot however our servers asked us on every visit how hot we wanted the food – so do let them know as they are happy to help. Don’t be put off if you have children who don’t like spicy food - the whole of The Datai has a children’s menu – but with food this delicious our 7 year old son tried everything. On our second visit we went on a Wednesday night and had the incredible Lobster seafood menu. This incredible five course banquet feast includes; fresh crab rolls, spicy seafood salad, deep-freed fish roll, coconut prawn soup with turmeric, stir-fried lobster with lemongrass sauce, steamed Garoupa, wok-fried scallops with fresh herbs and green peppercorns, stir-fried Kailan, carved fruits and it goes on! The menu is expensive but well worth it for a truly unique experience – the portions are generous – we ordered 2 and the restaurant staff were very happy to bring plates for our son to share with us. All in all a truly unique magical Thai gourmet Rainforest experience in what I am sure must be one of the most romantic restaurants in the world!

• Visited July 2012
Rome, Italy
“One of the best Thai restorants I tried”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Once in a lifetime experience, very romantic setting with best thai food I've had in my life. The fish and vegetables are particularly good...mango with sticky rice desert was my favorite.

Visited July 2012