“Unnecessary loss of life!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Langkawi Coral

Langkawi Coral
Ranked #66 of 94 things to do in Langkawi
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Either on the 17th or 18th August 2012 not sure now as I want to forget that day. I with 2 children aged 9 and 12 boarded the Langkawi coral ship to go to the marine park Pulau pyaar using their floating platform. After a lot of research I decided that this was the best company and safest option even though it was more costly. We arrived to this heaven on earth place with calm waters, sun shinning. I was shocked at the number of people on the platform. Ages ranged from 3 to 70yr perhaps. There were many Chinese females alone with 2 or 3 children. Possibly 150-200 people.
Without any explanation or enquiry about safety, ocean currents, swimming ability safe parameter all were asked to pick life jackets stashed in corners, asked to wear them without explanation and told to go in the water with simple instruction. Lunch will be served at 1.30!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was the most wonderful experience with hundreds of fishes swimming around you nibbling at you feet it could not be better. But the coral was Dead! But that did not matter.
However, soon I realised that we were snorkling away from the boat pushed by this unseen current. I forgot about the fishes and pushed the kids to the platform. I was making little progress but full marks to the 12 yr old who saw my problems and helped her younger brother back after nearly struggling for 30 minutes. We did not venture into the water after that!!!!!! NO ONE WAS OVERLOOKING THE HUNDREDS OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THE WATER. ONE GUY WAS SITTING AT THE TOP Of THE PLATFORM FOR FIRST FEW MINUTES AND THEN DISAPPEARED? WE WERE ALL ON OUR OWN!!
Later swimming on the beach with little sharks was thrilling.
I opted out of scuba diving after the early experience when I realised the lack of supervision.
I am so glad I did that
Suddenly after lunch somebody shouted BODY IN THE WATER BODY IN THE WATER!!
There was utter panic on the platform no one knew what to do. Women started crying and the children looked shocked and scared. They then dragged out the body of a young Korean man 18-20 yrs old and started jumping on him. There was no first aid, no alarm, no water or air ambulance . We were on our own. It was clear that the man was dead. It is likely that he jumped of the platform into the water and no one noticed him getting into trouble like us and he then drowned. The wailing of his friends for their loss was unimaginable.
IT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE
My comments are not put down the company but to warn others that go to these places but take extra caution. Clam waters few hundred yds from beach can still be trechrous and deceiving if you are not used the conditions keep your children close. Go out in pairs. Buy whistles yourself to attract attention and at no point float away from the platform.
Apparently the staff told me that 1 other accident took place on the same day and deaths have happened before.
I hope the company will take note and put safety befor money by limiting the numbers on a day increasing staff to customer ratio, better training and resuscitation facilities so that no more unnecessary loss of life takes place. I grieve for the family of that young man.
This has left a deep affect on my children that will take a long time to resolve.

20  Thank Asad87

Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Coming from Australia the coral was diss appointing, all of it was dead that we saw. The fish however were in abundance and the reef sharks were a highlight. The buffet was excellent and the ferry ride about 45 mins (bonus compared to the barrier reef) if you have children they will love this trip for the reef shark element. Definitely do if you have kids. We went in low season so we had plenty of space on the pontoon (may). The scuba diving I think is better because you r taken to a different location where the coral has not been trampled on. Overall a good day out

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Just got back and I honestly would say they barely got a pass. Everything had a fly by night feel to it. Oh well, I came for the fish, not the boat. Oh the snorkeling was barely passable too. Water was turbid and the reef looked trashed from over-tourism/neglect. There were lots of fish and some cool semi friendly sharks (ie not biting unless provoked) but I wouldn't recommend this mob. Others I met on the tour agreed. The snorkeling in QLD, Au; Egypt, East Malaysia and Thailand were all much better. If this is the first time you've ever been on a reef trip, you would be happy seeing so many fish. If you've been on other tours, you will be underwhelmed. The buffet lunch was ok. Noodles, rice, fried chicken, the usual Malay style buffet. Everything about this tour looked old, tired and not maintained.

3  Thank djwhu
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Firstly, if you do not like snorkeling (or diving), do not take the trip to Pulay Payar (as there is nothing much else to do). But if you love snorkeling, do as follows:

You will have two choices, to either go to the beach (150 ringit) or to the platform (~260 ringit). Take the platform - really! The platform has all the facilities you need, such as toilets, fresh water showers and shade. It also has easy access to the water/corals and you can literally jump into the middle of the fish. In the price of the platform is also included buffet lunch, snorkels and life jacket.

Okay, first you get to snorkel around the platform, where you see a lot of different kinds of fish. And then you get the lunch. During lunch some get the change to sign up for an extra snorkeling tour around the island (30 ringit). Take it (and if they do not come asking, ask them)!

After the lunch most of the group will go feeding the baby sharks (some of which you can see also while snorkeling) and to the beach. But with the extra trip you will get to the tip of the island and snorkel one hour, while the guides will show you some fish and corals (we saw some lobsters, too). Here there are a bit different fishes and the corals are nice. Really worth the extra 30 ringit!

Note that the trip to Pulau Payar will take some time, since first you take a bus to Kuah town and from there a ferry to the island (this will take altogether some couple of hours, depending on where your hotel is).

And remember: do not touch the corals and do not feed the fish (even though some tourists seem to love throwing bread into the water...). Let the nature be as is :)

5  Thank Finnish_Travelleress
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We took a snorkling cruise (www.LangkawiCoral .com ) from Penang to
a floating plantoon neer Pulau Payar . The snorkiling is pretty good.

Pulau Payar has a beautiful beach. People loves to swim with a few
cute baby sharks.See couple of bigger reef sharks which supposedly not
having interest in biting people. none of the swimmers appeared to be
scared of the sharks there.

1  Thank lilygc