We drove up from SIngapore early Saturday morning and berthed at the hotel's pier just after 09.00. When we got to reception we were informed that we had two beds in our room despite confirming over the phone that the room could sleep two adults and two children and having the same on our confirmation. They said that they could add another bed but when I looked at he room it was clear that the only way that this would be possible was if someone was to sleep standing up. The room was also not at all pleasant given the $270 per night I was paying for it. Somewhat upset by now I told them that this was not acceptable and wanted to see the manager. The chap at reception left and came back saying that we had ticked a box on the internet saying that the room had one queen and one single bed and simply refused to accept that our confirmation clearly stating two adult and two children was valid and insisted that we tell him the name of the person we spoke to on the phone. Obviously this did little to calm me down since he still had not called for the manager who finally arrived twenty minutes later meaning that by now we had been waiting nearly an hour. And what did he do when he did turn up, insist that we had ticked a box on the internet. I finally lost all sense of calm and was finally shown two single rooms close to the backpackers' bar that was holding a party that might and told there were no other choices. A similar thing had happened to friends of mine who had arrived the day before so obviously standard procedure for a hotel who think they can dictate policy to their guests.
Aside from this, the hotel is very pleasant and food surprisingly good (better than Batu Batu of late).
My advice is to search out which are the best rooms and insist on them although this too does not guarantee anything as some other friends of ours who has specifically booked two rooms next door to each, arrived finding that they didn't have said rooms and they tried to speak to Management they just didn't bother coming to talk to him.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Rawa Island Resort, an idyllic tropical island for guests to unwind from the stress and strain of modern life. Feel the grains of white, sun-baked sand between your toes as you stroll along the beach. Take a dip in the warm waters of the South China Sea. Enjoy the green scenery. Snorkel along the natural coral reef just metres from the shore. Or simply relax as you watch the sun disappear lazily over the orange horizon. Situated within the archipelago of the Sultan Iskandar Marine Park, Rawa Island is accessible by a twenty-minute boat ride from Mersing, Johor. This beachfront resort features 77 rooms, each individually designed to blend in with the natural landscape. Modern furnishings provide guests with the comforts of home. We invite you to take a break from the monotony of daily routine. Experience the island's natural beauty and our Malaysian hospitality. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rawa Island Safaris Hotel Mersing
- Rawa Island Safaris Mersing
- Rawa Island Resort Mersing, Malaysia - Johor