“Amazing getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rawa Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mersing
Rawa Island Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mersing
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This could just be the best short getaway destination from Singapore, depending on what you are looking for. It is basically one resort split into two - backpacker and more upmarket. We stayed in the the backpacker dorms which were basic but adequate. The beach is amazing and you can do as little or as much as you want. You can paddle round the island, play on the slides, fish, swim, snorkel...or do absolutely nothing! At night the more upmarket resort pretty much shuts down as far as I could see but that's when the party starts on the backpacker side. And a good party it is too! I can't say how much the noise affects the resort next door but I do know we had an amazing weekend! I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you want a relaxing time, you know which part to go to!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a pristine beach, unspoiled compared to most other islands. The food is good and staff are friendly and helpful. The only things I wasn't happy about was our hillside room which was tiny and the bathroom which really could use some renovating. Having said that, the room condition only bothered me coz I had my 14 month old baby with us, and we spent most of our time outdoors on the breezy deck, lovely white sand or out in the clear blue sea.
My recommendation is if yo're travelling with kids, spend money getting the beach front rooms which are must more spacious. All in all we had a lovely time and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Get the bigger room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I wouldn't say the accomodation was terrible but neither is it fantastic/luxrious. I stayed at room 65 Waterfront Bungalow for 2D1N on 22 March to 23 March 2014. Despite paying approximately SGD300/pax/night, dont expect too much from the resort itself. Its very basic accommodation tho the scenic view. The bed is clean, shower has no hot water, aircon was not cold. But the entire bungalow has full length windows which means if you do not close the curtains, the sea is right infront of you just beside your private patio. The room has no tv and phone so its very much a place away from technology, but that would also mean that if you needed any help or etc when you're in the room, the only thing you could do is walk back to the main lobby. Free wifi is provided at reception and dining area.

The beach is fantastic and it has slides. Snorkeling is not too bad, you could see many corals, nemo fish and some other small fishes. The sand is soft and water is extremely clear. You'll love this place if you truly love the beach! Which I really do. The beach could make up all the imperfection of the room itself & I would have to say I really love Rawa.

A speedboat would pick you up from Rawa office @ Mersing jetty & its only less then 30mins ride to reach Rawa. Food is included in the package and its good. On Saturdays, they provide BBQ as well ;) However you'll have to sneak some own soft drinks/snacks/food else a can of coke is about SGD5.

In Rawa Island Safaris Resort massage is available there. You could also do kayaking, table soccer, island hopping, fishing, trekking to hill top (took me about 30 mins to reach the top). Sunset there is amazing.

The island itself is rather small & Awang Rawa is just located beside Rawa Island Safaris Resort.

In conclusion, I still love this trip & Rawa Island. Just lower your expectation on the accomodation. Its not a luxurious stay but still acceptable. Food & service level is good too. On top of that, its a rather good getaway from Singapore over the short weekend since its just approximately 3 to 4 hours drive (incl custom clearance) from Singapore to Mersing jetty.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank jasmine6868
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

it was a good experience except that the island is too small. but the beach was 5 star [it was the main reason we came hear]. we are going hear again. because i went snorkelling and i could see tones of colourful and beautiful fish see you soon...

Room Tip: near the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank holiday482
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

After reading some of these reviews I had to respond....
I was on Rawa in September and it was the most amazing tranquil and relaxing place I have ever been ( and I have travelled) I didn't go there for a luxurious room or to have a pesky waiter/waitress annoying me! But the rooms were clean and useable it was only a place to lay your head after all... People are saying the staff were rude and unhelpful, ridiculous complete opposite they had your every need in hand but let you have the relaxing holiday that Rawa is about and to no be pestered and fussed upon but when u needed service they were there (since Rawa I have even become friends with the staff on social network sites) anyone giving bad feedback are the sort of people who holiday on/in over commercialised resorts waited on hand and foot! If you want complete relaxation and no fuss go to Rawa, we have spoken about getting married there or spending honeymoon there it's that amazing! Thanks to all the staff for making it a amazing trip and to management for not going down the commercial route and ruining the island

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Scott D
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed in a Beachfront room with a great view. The bathroom was extremely tired and the plumbing (sink tap and shower) did not work properly. We didn't have a hot shower the whole time we were there and everytime you turned on the tap you got soaked. If I was staying longer, I would have complained but since it was a very short break, we didn't want the hassle.
The door was difficult to lock and I actually got locked in the room on the first day because the key broke in the lock. In an emergency you could climb out the window at the top of a very steep flight of stairs.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and I must say they catered really well for my dietry requirements (vegan) helping me to make selections from the buffet and catering for me specially on the night of the barbecue. I was very impressed by that as I've gone to other places where I've had little to eat. I was definitely not short of food. On the food front, it would have been good to have soy/almond milk as I wasn't able to enjoy coffee or hot chocolate.

It was a very relaxing place however though they could do with more casual seating around the public area especially in very busy times. I forgot about sharing resorts with Europeans, they have a bad habit of putting their towels on everything before breakfast so that when others come out, everything is booked (Brits, French and Germans are very bad for this). The resort needs to discourage this as it's extremely unfair.

A great place for kids with the water slides, trampoline etc. Disappointed about the opportunity for diving. They rent equipment but there is no Dive Master to take people out. I would consider this a bit of a safety risk personally.

All in all it was a nice quick getaway from the hustle and bustle of Singapore and I would return. I would have given it 'excellent' if the bathrooms were better. I'm more inclined to try out other places because of this but I wouldn't rule it out.

Room Tip: If you truly want away from the hustle and bustle get one of the rooms over the ocean as you'll...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dragonflymummy
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I've heard fabulous reports about Rawa Island but this is our first visit in 40+ years in Singapore! I booked a week before CNY thinking no hope of finding accommodation. To my surprise they had a room and the Mersing office arranged everything for us. I had read some rather negative reports on TA about the food, service and the state of the rooms and most of all I didn't believe the promotional photos. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised, it is truly a magical setting, great service and super food for all tastes. Most of all the the dive shop and souvenir shops don't rip you off, very reasonable. It's not cheap to stay (still considerably less than the 5 star resorts or Bintang), but the relaxed stress free environment makes it well worth the 3 hour drive from Singapore).

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank littlebali
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Sibu Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Pulau Besar
Muara Inn Hotel
Muara Inn Hotel
#7 of 14 in Mersing

Been to Rawa Island Resort? Share your experiences!