“Amazing!”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Mersing
Hout Bay, South Africa
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and I had the privilege of spending our 15th wedding anniversary at Sibu Island Resort with our two children aged 14 and 10. I have to say that we were treated like royalty from when we arrived at Tanjung Leman. After a short ferry ride we arrived at the resort to be greeted by a long line of staff with fruit juice and cold towels. It turns out we were the only "actual" guests for the weekend, so we were waited on hand and foot! Shortly after arriving at our very tastefully decorated suite, there was a knock on the door and the assistant manager, Razif brought in an ice-cold bottle of champagne and coldrinks for the children to celebrate our anniversary - what a lovely start to our stay! The sports and recreation staff treated us to a little bit of everything - archery, flying fox, abseiling. My husband and I also had the pleasure of visiting the spa for a massage - well worth it! One of the young recreation staff, Zainol, was constantly on hand offering to take the children off our hands for a bit - eventually convincing them to go on a lovely long walk to beach no. 4 - definitely worth seeing! The food was good and we were treated to the most wonderful barbecue buffet on the Saturday evening, which just happened to be Valentine's day. Our children also had the chance to plant a coconut tree with the help of Ihsan Syahid and Sham Sudin - a big fuss was made and photos were taken and we have since received a card and photo in the mail from the sort. What makes this resort even more special is the deer, goats and peacocks just wandering around - the children had the time of their lives feeding the deer everyday. I would recommend this resort to everyone. I can't wait to have the opportunity to return! Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so special and something we will never forget!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank LaurenOel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Malaysia
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Visited Sibu Island just after it had been refurbished and it is truly lovely. My sister and I (both old but active) were taken such care of my the wonderful staff. The food is excellent. The chef served up superb Western cuisine, worthy of any top London restaurant. We visited just after Chinese New Year and midweek and were amused to discover we were the only guests! No wonder we were so spoiled. The animals roaming around the grounds are a total delight - you can feed deer so tame they eat out of your hand. Can't recommend it highly enough. The smallest of niggles is the wine list. If you're a connoiseur you had better take your own!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chief-Rabbit
singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2009

we drove from singapore to mersing, stayed at the timotel for 1 night before heading for tanjung leman to catch the ferry the next day. didnt realise the ferry terminal is quite far from mersing, took us nearly 1 hour getting there. We were greeted by the hotel staff at the terminal, helped us with our luggage. It was a 20 min journey in an air-conditioned catamaran, safe and comfortable.
the hotel has just reopen after complete renovation, so everything is brand new, I would say the decor is 5-star for island resort in malaysia. there arent many guest around, staff are in training before the high season kicks in in april. all the staff are very helpful. there are many animals roaming around, goats, deer, peacocks. the house goats are present to the sultan, are very fierce. when we tried to feed them, the goat butted me as I fed the deer.
menu in the restaurant is limited. the chef said they are preparing the main menu, and can cook anything for us off the menu. We had fish and king prawn for dinner which was delicious. We mainly had local food and they were excellent, and good value for an island resort. Staff were attentive and tried their best to help. when we mentioned to the chef that i would like to have fresh coconut which was not in the menu, the chef had 1 plucked from the tree for me. there is no alcohol in the restaurant, but you can get it from sea-sport centre and karaoke bar.
We went to a snorkeling trip,to the nearby island, the coral is not as good as the ones in tioman or prehentian. we also went fishing in the kelong with not much luck. however, i had more luck fishing on the island. I would advise others to bring your own fishing gear with lots of hooks and a torch. the kitchen also cooked the fish for us.
there are 4 beaches on the island. the main beach can be a bit dirty, as the tide brings rubbish from mersing although workers do try hard to keep the beach clean. We also went to beach4, a hotel staff carried our beach towel and mat and took us there along a steep coastal path and bought us back . however, that beach is not good during low tide as the dead coral is too shallow. cant comment on the other 2 beaches.
we had a relaxing holiday, enjoyed our stay very much, cant ask for better service than this.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kpchia
Copenhagen
Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed in Sibu Island Cabanas Resort one week in September 2007. Resort personnel was very friendly and nice did everything to make our staying very pleasant. Nice sandy beaches and clear water. Be aware of sandflies!

2 Thank TP2005NY
Mys
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Sibu Island Resort.
The Impression of Sibu Island Resort from us is great.
they have good management system. nice scenes and the services excellent and fast.

• Liked — nice scenes. get away fr city. quality
  • Disliked — quality.relax.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tina-chin
singapore
Reviewed December 16, 2006

We were there for 3 days in June 2006 (11-13 Jun), with another family and we enjoyed the short but good stay. Although not everything is up to par with other 4-5 star resorts (you could say SIR is a 3 star trying hard to be a 4star), and some credits should be given to the staffs (not the management) running it daily, as most greeted us whenever we met any staff along our way, and made our stay pleasant.

Arriving from Singapore from via JB causeway (by bus abt 1.5 hours) to Tg. Leman Jetty, we were pleasantly surprised as the ferry stops directly at the resort of Pulau Sibu, the clear water and well scaped lawn lend a relaxed resort like to the environment. We were welcomed by a band of trio singers and given drinks that looked exotic. The tall lobby atrium further gives an airy feel to the otherwise hot June weather. i think we made the right choice for a 'summer' holiday.

Rooms/resort - our rooms are on semi-attached hut like houses, but viola, once inside quite a small room with modern amenities; just right for citybumps like us! Most things worked well and clean, except the floor does feel sandy.(but what shold we expect of a Sun sand and sea resort? - not a spick and spank hotel). Living in such hut were itself an experience as the surrounding were rain forest like and nature creature (and crawly) abounds. Choose & ask one nearer open air if those were your fears and u think will definitely spoilt your holiday.
Facilities - As this is a self contained resort (and Island ! ) there are no / very little other inhabitants on this small island. Most entertainement are in-house, including events and activities run by the staffs (this is where staff try to make our stay a pleasnt one), but depending very much on participation of fellow inhabitants!! Good thing we were a two family huddle, else we will be left much lonely!
Deer roam freely but care should be taken for very small children to be not left alone. There is also a mini-farm where you can feed chickens, rabbits, etc.
Snorkelling - since the water is ok (clear) but nowhere compared to further out and up Tioman or Rendang, it was good for my graowing kids where it was their first time. Fishes will swim to you if you have some bread (good thing a friend of ours told us before we came) on hand, but these are more like 'ikan bilis' small fry fishes and some larger angel fishes. The island snorkeling trip (the main highlight for us) should be part of your resort stay package unless you opt out.
We do had one very short power failure but it was no where annoying. We enjoyed the compnay as well as the resort and food served.

• Liked — Unconventional hut-like semi-detached houses on stilts
  • Disliked — Some things are not perfect ! haha
  • Tips/Secrets — To note limited activities, must love sun sand sea and snorkelling (though not very much to offer if going for corals)
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
Reviewed June 3, 2006

I went to the resort with my family (my husband and my two very young children, the oldest aged 3 and the youngest aged 1). I went through Sun & Sand Holiday Pte Ltd ("the travel agent") to book my accomodation. From the start, we liase through email in fact the very same email address which I'm using now. As they were fully aware that we were Singaporeans, amount quoted was in RM and also S$.

The first time I stepped into the resort, I didn't have a good feeling because the surrounding was too quiet unlike other islands where the staff have this smiley face on them and always greeting us. Putting aside all those negative feelings, we tried to make do with what the resort can offer us. The food was good and to our liking especially the mee goreng and also the BBQ buffet held on the Saturday, but too bad the incident that took place will deter us from coming back to the resort!

One of the downside of the resort is the generator problem where power supply would be cut for a solid one hour duration from 4-5 pm. Mind you, this doesn’t happen in any other island-resort! I was appalled! It was not once the power was cut off from my room but several times in fact! It was already a warm and sunny day, add on to the power failure, my children were bawling and throwing tantrums. It turned out to be such a horrid holiday experience! We called the customer service and told them it was unbecoming of a resort to be having frequent power failures. They did not offer any help nor offered any kind of remedy to pacify us their customers/visitors! We (husband and myself) discussed this incident through out the night and decided to highlight it to the manager on the day we check out.

On the day we checked out, we told the front desk that we would like to see the duty manager. A Mr Subash came to us and introduce himself as the duty manager. Subash told us it was the resort's policy not to compensate in any kind and any way to visitors/tourist/customers that are staying in the resort. He (Subash) also mentioned that he was willing to apologise but the technical problem (power failure) was beyond his and the resort's control.

I reiterate, this so called technical problem doesn’t happen to other resort/island. My husband told Subash that it was like staying in a training camp with no power supply and if this was the case, we might as well stay in a camp-site. Subash got angry and since there weren't any other issue he could raised, he threw this accusation at us, and I quote "I've got the right to stop you from leaving this resort since I've notice you took up a cheaper package that is not meant for Singaporeans". Is Subash insinuating that since we have paid a cheap price, in which I deny, we should grit our teeth and bear with it all? For your info, I feedback this incident to a collegue of mine whom actually recommended this resort, she told me 3 years ago, she too experienced the so called technical problem (power failure). So I guess this technical problem had been happening for many years and nothing had been done??!!!

We were speechless. This statement/threat coming from a resort manager! Even if we had taken up the wrong package in which WE DENY, Subash CANNOT TAKE UP this issue directly with us because never once did I liase with Sibu Island Resort directly as I've used a travel agent to do the necessary bookings. Subash should have discussed with our travel agent that is Sun & Sand Holiday and not took it up on us and if there is a mistake regarding the pricing and quotation, Sibu Island Resort should have stop us from entering and staying at the resort from the very first day or settle the matter on the day when we checked in to the resort.

• Stayed April 2006
19 Thank Lyana N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Embassy Hotel
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa Sibu Island
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
#1 of 2 in Pulau Besar

Been to Sibu Island Resort? Share your experiences!