We are a family of 4. We stayed in the Layang-Layang Suite for 3 nights in June 2013. Transfer from Tanjung Leman Jetty to Sibu Island was smooth and efficient, perhaps because it was a week-day and off-peak. Check-in was smooth (perhaps for the same reason) and we were given our room keys at on check-in at around noon despite the official 3 pm check-in time.
The rooms were comfortable if somewhat tired looking. Bathroom was clean and showers, toilets and taps worked reasonably well.
The resort is extremely spacious. A big plus for our boys( aged 11 and 8) were the many free-ranging deer, peacocks, chickens, a very regal-looking tom-turkey and cute little baby goats. The boys had a great time foraging for leaves plants and other tidbits for the animals.
The pool was small, but reasonably fun for the kids. The biggest turn-off is the disused pool-bar which was not just empty. It contained a several centimetres inches of bilious green slimy looking water. It was revolting.
Service standards are Fawlty Towers-que. It would be extremely funny as long as it happened to someone else. We searched in vain at the Towel Kiosk for someone to pass us the beach towels. After 15 minutes of searching, we eventually tumbled on the fact that you had to get towels from the Activity Desk. It gets even better. The following day, we brought our used beach towels to exchange for fresh ones. We were told by the person at the Activity Desk that we had to dry them first before returning the towels, and in any case, we were to be issued beach towels only once per stay. Perhaps the hotel expects guests to launder all towels before returning them or exchanging them for fresh ones! It was only after some protests that the person agreed to give us fresh towels ... along with free dirty looks and mutters.
Service at the restaurant was slow and inconsistent. The staff were polite, but not friendly. They showed very little warmth, and seemed to think that saying "thank you" was the height of service excellence. The restaurant was swarming with flies. Something which the staff took absolutely no notice of. The resort does not serve alcohol.
House-keeping was kept at the barest minimum. Daily house-keeping seemed to consist of making the beds and taking out the trash. In the 4 days that we were there, the house-keepers did not trouble themselves with replenishing toilet-paper, toiletries, coffee and tea bags or water. Again perhaps the hotel has a single-issue policy, like their beach towels. To be fair, though, these things were replenished quite quickly when we requested. It's just comical that we had to request for re-supply of everything. Less funny when we realised that we were paying international hotel prices.
The beaches were quite nice, and generally uncrowded. But there again, this hotel chooses to distinguish itself. There were absolutely no deck chairs except on their most popular beach, Coral garden, which had 2 chairs. There are no facilities to shower off the salt water, nor anyone to serve drinks or snacks at the beach. The Management philosophy seems to be - you have the sea, you have the sand, you don't need anything else.
Our opinion - not a bad place, if you have no where else to go, and if you enjoy being surprised by "unusual" service standards.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sibu Island Resort is Johor’s idyllic island gateway. It is located off the east coast of Mersing, a town in the state of Johor, Malaysia, on the South China Sea. The island presents 3 sandy private beaches and 7 separate small islands.Sibu Island Resort is considerably close to Singapore, since it is only one and a half hours’ drive away from Johor Bahru to reach the Tanjung Leman jetty. From there, the journey to the island is only 30 minutes via a comfortable ferry.Sibu Island Resort is the perfect island resort for relaxing, adventure and corporate teambuilding. It has completed a make-over involving the refurbishment of its 121 deluxe timber chalets surrounded by lush greenery and equipped with well-appointed amenities. Featuring wooden flooring and furnishings, air-conditioned rooms all come with a cable TV and minibar. Some rooms have a balcony. Each bathroom is equipped with shower facilities. Free Wi-Fi, an outdoor pool and a tennis court are available. There is also a spa and water sports activities.There are no lacks of activities at the resort. Guests can take part in an obstacle course, trek across jungles or go fishing along the coast. Snorkeling, scuba diving and kayaking are available at the beach.The open-air Lumba Lumba All Day Dining Restaurant offers international buffet spreads, as well as specially packed picnic baskets. Drinks can be enjoyed at Tenggiri Pool Bar and Suji Lounge.Merak Spa offers all the elements of an out-of-this-world spa experience – calm and relaxing surroundings, serenity of its ambiance, and unparalleled world – class treatments that is set to honor you as our guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sibu Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sibu Island Hotel Mersing
- Sibu Island Resort Mersing, Malaysia - Johor