“Nice but not worth the price you pay for, maybe for some”
Review of Sibu Island Resort

Sibu Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Mersing
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took some old folks to visit the island on Sunday morning, after almost a 2hrs drive to Tanjong Leman Jetty, i parked the car their and was told that there's 24hrs security guards patrolling the carpark but they still don't any take responsibility if there's any damage of theft on your vehicle. I still parked my vehicle there and make sure that's it's secured and locked.

The resort has got their own counter at the Jetty and so we'd to register our group and were given a boarding pass. Their specially owned ferry will leaves at 1100hrs and only take guests that's booked for their resort. The sea was calm and we've had a smooth ride to the resort. Upon arrival to the resort, i noticed lots of long tailed Jelly fish swimming around as the water was so clear, you could see them very clearly. I came to understand that it's the jelly Fish season right now for the next couple of months. So looks like it's not really a good idea to go for a swimming at the beach but according to them they only appears in the morning till day break.

We were welcome by some nice welcoming drinks and singing group. We'd to change our booked 2 rooms into a 2 bedroom Layang suites and paid an additional RM200, totaling RM1000 spent for the suites. We took it as the other rooms have a lot of stairs with no hand railing to hang on to and it's not safe for old folks to climb the steep steps.

The Layang suites is beautiful but the living room is small thou, not much defects with everything working fine except for the TV where there's not much channels you can watch.
The restaurant is nice but a LOT of FLIES, friendly staffs trying their best to serve grumpy old folks when some flies drowned in their soups or drinks. Food is average, nothing fancy but you'll have to eat and chase flies away at the same time. Food is expensive, for a paxs of 5, we spent almost RM200 on ala-carte.

We stroll along Beach number 2, nice small beach with lot's of rocks and broken shells, we didn't see any Jelly Fish there thou but they dare not take the risks of dipping into the sea. So they'd decided to dip into the swimming pool instead...which is much safer of course.
The resort is superb for youngsters as there will be a lot of activities planned for them. So i think the young will not be bored there. There's a lot of deers, peacocks roaming around and doesn't shy away from humans unless they see empty hands. In the evening, there's music group singing at the restaurant...which i think is nice. There's a karaoke lounge that doesn't play your request number.

We checked out on Monday, at the jetty the music group will sing some nice goodbye songs, almost all the hotel staffs will send you off at the Jetty. I've to admit that i didn't enjoy much because i'm with some old folks but it's a nice short getaway experience for me. I think it'll be fun if to visit this place with adventurous and active friends or youngsters, they'll have a lot of activities there and they'll have a lot of funs.

Room Tip: Bring your own water....!!!!! I couldn't drink the water, coffee or tea there because it's t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Mohdrafimi

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went for 3D2N with my family & 3 kids by bus from singapore...there were some miscommunications during making the reservations which lead to some stressful conversations regarding the price & number of days of stay & travel options. I felt that reservations should be much more professionally dealt with. the bus journey was a little over 3 hours, all the activities on the island were very interesting and the free interaction with the animals was a stimulating experience. the accommodations were basic but clean. the beach was beautiful...definitely recommended for a short getaway!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank happyhaneen
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Spent 3 days there with my wife and 2 kids (3years and 9months).
It's an old hotel that had a rustic charm about it.
If you go in thinking you're getting a great price for a swanky beach resort, think again.
It's not swanky but it works. Sure the rooms etc could be better but it's that kinda place.
My kids loved the beach and the staff was always friendly.
Things could've been done faster but you're on holiday.. There is no deadline.
The food was great if you had a taste for spicy food.
The beaches were also good and the water was clear.

The deer and other animals roaming freely was a very unique characteristic of the hotel that the children will enjoy.

Personally felt it was money well spent for a short getaway.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is my second visit to the resort after 3 years. We drove to the jetty and parked at the car park. No parking safety issue for Singapore car. Car park charged at RM16 for 3 days. Ferry - the ferry was overcrowded and i suspected it were overloaded with passengers due to peak season. Another danger point is the ferry crew latched up the cabinet door to prevent passengers coming out to the deck when the ferry is moving. I wonder how do we escape should there anything happen to the ferry.
Room was spacious with few defects. Heater on for full day without any hot water. AC remote not in the room and safe box cannot operate. Called reception to send technician but no one turn up. Electricity tripped a few times during our stays. Not much channels to watch as the TV reception was poor. Very poor wifi with intermittent service.
Food was fine with buffets serving as the resort was full of guests. Nothing fantastic on the food. The beach is full of broken sea shells making difficulty walking with bare foot. Many stones at shallow water. Pulau Besar beach is far better.
The swimming pool was terrible as the pool water looked very dirty and I doubt they change and clean the pool regularly.
One good point is the nature setting with deers and peacocks running around the resort and some free activities like archery and flying fox. Oh, there used to have a small playground but was gone and replaced by a diving Company(I think). How to entertain the younger one?
I doubt I will visit this resort again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank keecheng
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I would like to share my poor experience of 3D2N stay at Sibu Island Resort on 24-26 Mar 13 for my girlfriend birthday which fall on 26-Mar
We had a very unpleasant experience or can also rate this as my worse holiday experience ever

Transportation - Singpore to Tanjung Leman Jetty
We made arrangement through the resort for return transfer from Singapore-Tanjung Leman Jetty-Singapore that we were told to be a mini bus but end up we were put into a van that is smelly and uncomfortable, the air in the van is stale; half way to the jetty we were switched to another car that smell worse than the van with no air-condition, bear in mind the return transfer cost us RM200 for both person

Arrival greeting
We arrived the jetty early so waited for the ferry transfer to Sibu Island that depart 11:30am which was okay; when arriving at the resort we were greeted at the jetty, singers and welcome drinks at the front office; getting the room key was quick and easy but our room 1073 was difficult to find as the direction signage is not clear

Room 1073
The room is a disappointment not to mention the size
- the floor was sandy
- curtain is very dusty that I do not even dare to close the curtain worry the dust will fly all over;
- TV channels was bad, only FOX Channel & National Geographic Channel is clear, other channels in the list was totally not watchable
- I called front office to report the light on top of the sink is not working but it was not fix until I check out
- wallpaper around the sink was peeling
- and I found a used tower from previous guest at the back of bathroom door

Wifi
Wifi signal was fair but we do not seem able to connect it until we check out even signal at the front desk area is strong
Lucky we did not bring out laptop to watch online movies

Electricity
There is also 1 hour power shut down twice a day for both days when I was there, which they claim to have problem with generator overload
Every few hours there is a power trip throughout the resort so we have to switch on the air-con each time this happen, this happens both nights and I have to wake up atleast 4 time each night just to switch on the air-con, I suppose to catch up with my sleep during my holiday since I also work as a hotelier on rotating shift but this holiday makes my sleeping disorder worse

Water supply
Water pressure was very low especially the sink, and they shut down water supply at night (not sure from what time) to 6am
My first night wanted to take shower about 11pm and found there was no water, I called front office to report the issue and realized they intentionally shut down the supply due to some reason, I inform them I need to take shower but the guy who answer my call ask me to wait till morning 6am, so I can only use the toilet without flushing

Meals
Our package comes with fullboard buffet meals, it was very basic and taste horrible, our first night we ordered additional ala carte order since the buffet food does not suite our pallet, we ordered penang char koew teow and satay, the penang char koew teow was soggy and the texture is like baby food, the satay did not come after half an hour and realized they send to wrong table after we ask them to follow up our order, so we cancel it, potential revenue gone
Being over 15 years in F&B department ourselves we both noticed many minor problems in the F&B operation which can be improve through training
Perhaps you may want to consider replacing the 3 piece band, they are out of tune and forgot song lyrics; a young western couple was laughing their way through their dinner

Transportation - Tanjung Leman Jetty to Singapore
The night before we depart I stop by front desk after dinner to inform that we will be leaving next day morning 10am ferry as we do not wish to stay any longer with all the bad experience, I requested for proper arrangement for return transportation
On the returning day when we arrive Tanjung Leman jetty, the girl at the Sibu Island counter ask us to wait for awhile and we waited for almost 30 minutes but our transport never arrive; I spoke to her again then she call Sibu Island front desk and a girl over the phone told me I book for afternoon 2pm transport, I told her I had inform front desk the night before I book earliest transport and questioned her how could it be possible for me to check out front office 9:30am but book for 2pm transport, she manage to arrangement my transport soon after that

Resort Manager
During my stay there was a VIP came to Sibu Island for lunch and left after that, there was a guy seems to be the incharge person in the resort because he was having a walkie-talkie and supervising the staffs while the VIP is dining, the next day I also saw him having breakfast with the chef like having a discussion
Throughout my 3D2N stay I numerously asked to speak to resort manager after continuously going through unpleasant experience, but the front office staffs keep telling me the resort manager is not in property, and nobody get back to me even until in check out

Surrounding
The only plus point for the resort is the nature, this island has a nice and peaceful surrounding, having the animals running around the resort and interact with visitors impromptu bring us closer to nature;
The resort should take care of the beach condition as I notice there are some rubbish in the water while snorkeling at beach 2

Mother nature provided free and we are pleased with what was presented, however we paid a full amount for other services but it does not meet our basic expectation
Hope the management are taking necessary steps to improve the situation for the sake of future patrons

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank loh_winston78
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The 4 stars for Sibu reflect our overall enjoyment of our 4 days in Sibu with friends. We loved the resort, even allowing that not everything was perfect. But sometimes (especially in this part of the world) you have to overlook those little things (which, frustratingly, could be so easily fixed), laugh at the mis-steps, don't expect too much and just enjoy being outdoors in the breeze under a bright blue sky, watching the deer, the peacocks, the birds and the people. Go snorkeling, go kayaking, take the jungle trek, swim, watch the sunset, swing in the hammocks, enjoy a variety of good food. Nothing should take away from the pleasure those things provide. But, next time we'll take a couple of bottles of wine!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed January 25, 2013

stayed here in november and though it is during the moonson season, it is still ok to visit and do some activities here on the island. theres positive and negative side of this resorts, lets starts with positive : nice resorts (though the rooms are quite badly maintain) despite that overall the resort has nice view, with a mini zoo ( which kids would love it) and the boat transfer was a mini ferry instead of a small speedboat.
negative : customer service is quite bad. i had to request many times for a simple yet very important item to be delivered to the room and had to call more than 4 times to keep reminding them and after a frustration period of 45 minutes, finally the item arrived. room were badly maintained though it is called a 'suite'. i paid RM2000 for 2 nights and i regret to say it is not worth it at all.
the seaview suite is right at the back portion of the island and it is isolated plus u have to walk and climb up the hill without having offered a buggy service by the resort. the suites which is located at the back of the island is far away from the lobby and theres isnt any security measurement and anyone could actually trespass the resort from the back area and incase of any emergency the front office wouldnt know as there is not even a security personnal assigned to guard around the island. for me security is very important as i travel with 4 young children.

overall i didnt quite like this place and if u are travelling with young kids dont think or plan of coming here during weekend or public holidays as the resort can get very pack and stuffy..
the bathroom full with fungus and bad smell.
for the price we paid, im certainly would say its way to much for such a resort. ive been to other resorts in most of the island in malaysia and i would say this resorts is quite badly managed,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank timetravellerz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Timotel Hotel
Felda Residence Tanjung Leman
Muara Inn Hotel
Muara Inn Hotel
#6 of 14 in Mersing

Been to Sibu Island Resort? Share your experiences!