“Horrible Experience”
Review of Sibu Island Resort

Sibu Island Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Mersing
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I would like to share my poor experience of 3D2N stay at Sibu Island Resort on 24-26 Mar 13 for my girlfriend birthday which fall on 26-Mar
We had a very unpleasant experience or can also rate this as my worse holiday experience ever

Transportation - Singpore to Tanjung Leman Jetty
We made arrangement through the resort for return transfer from Singapore-Tanjung Leman Jetty-Singapore that we were told to be a mini bus but end up we were put into a van that is smelly and uncomfortable, the air in the van is stale; half way to the jetty we were switched to another car that smell worse than the van with no air-condition, bear in mind the return transfer cost us RM200 for both person

Arrival greeting
We arrived the jetty early so waited for the ferry transfer to Sibu Island that depart 11:30am which was okay; when arriving at the resort we were greeted at the jetty, singers and welcome drinks at the front office; getting the room key was quick and easy but our room 1073 was difficult to find as the direction signage is not clear

Room 1073
The room is a disappointment not to mention the size
- the floor was sandy
- curtain is very dusty that I do not even dare to close the curtain worry the dust will fly all over;
- TV channels was bad, only FOX Channel & National Geographic Channel is clear, other channels in the list was totally not watchable
- I called front office to report the light on top of the sink is not working but it was not fix until I check out
- wallpaper around the sink was peeling
- and I found a used tower from previous guest at the back of bathroom door

Wifi
Wifi signal was fair but we do not seem able to connect it until we check out even signal at the front desk area is strong
Lucky we did not bring out laptop to watch online movies

Electricity
There is also 1 hour power shut down twice a day for both days when I was there, which they claim to have problem with generator overload
Every few hours there is a power trip throughout the resort so we have to switch on the air-con each time this happen, this happens both nights and I have to wake up atleast 4 time each night just to switch on the air-con, I suppose to catch up with my sleep during my holiday since I also work as a hotelier on rotating shift but this holiday makes my sleeping disorder worse

Water supply
Water pressure was very low especially the sink, and they shut down water supply at night (not sure from what time) to 6am
My first night wanted to take shower about 11pm and found there was no water, I called front office to report the issue and realized they intentionally shut down the supply due to some reason, I inform them I need to take shower but the guy who answer my call ask me to wait till morning 6am, so I can only use the toilet without flushing

Meals
Our package comes with fullboard buffet meals, it was very basic and taste horrible, our first night we ordered additional ala carte order since the buffet food does not suite our pallet, we ordered penang char koew teow and satay, the penang char koew teow was soggy and the texture is like baby food, the satay did not come after half an hour and realized they send to wrong table after we ask them to follow up our order, so we cancel it, potential revenue gone
Being over 15 years in F&B department ourselves we both noticed many minor problems in the F&B operation which can be improve through training
Perhaps you may want to consider replacing the 3 piece band, they are out of tune and forgot song lyrics; a young western couple was laughing their way through their dinner

Transportation - Tanjung Leman Jetty to Singapore
The night before we depart I stop by front desk after dinner to inform that we will be leaving next day morning 10am ferry as we do not wish to stay any longer with all the bad experience, I requested for proper arrangement for return transportation
On the returning day when we arrive Tanjung Leman jetty, the girl at the Sibu Island counter ask us to wait for awhile and we waited for almost 30 minutes but our transport never arrive; I spoke to her again then she call Sibu Island front desk and a girl over the phone told me I book for afternoon 2pm transport, I told her I had inform front desk the night before I book earliest transport and questioned her how could it be possible for me to check out front office 9:30am but book for 2pm transport, she manage to arrangement my transport soon after that

Resort Manager
During my stay there was a VIP came to Sibu Island for lunch and left after that, there was a guy seems to be the incharge person in the resort because he was having a walkie-talkie and supervising the staffs while the VIP is dining, the next day I also saw him having breakfast with the chef like having a discussion
Throughout my 3D2N stay I numerously asked to speak to resort manager after continuously going through unpleasant experience, but the front office staffs keep telling me the resort manager is not in property, and nobody get back to me even until in check out

Surrounding
The only plus point for the resort is the nature, this island has a nice and peaceful surrounding, having the animals running around the resort and interact with visitors impromptu bring us closer to nature;
The resort should take care of the beach condition as I notice there are some rubbish in the water while snorkeling at beach 2

Mother nature provided free and we are pleased with what was presented, however we paid a full amount for other services but it does not meet our basic expectation
Hope the management are taking necessary steps to improve the situation for the sake of future patrons

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank loh_winston78

Reviewed January 27, 2013

The 4 stars for Sibu reflect our overall enjoyment of our 4 days in Sibu with friends. We loved the resort, even allowing that not everything was perfect. But sometimes (especially in this part of the world) you have to overlook those little things (which, frustratingly, could be so easily fixed), laugh at the mis-steps, don't expect too much and just enjoy being outdoors in the breeze under a bright blue sky, watching the deer, the peacocks, the birds and the people. Go snorkeling, go kayaking, take the jungle trek, swim, watch the sunset, swing in the hammocks, enjoy a variety of good food. Nothing should take away from the pleasure those things provide. But, next time we'll take a couple of bottles of wine!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed January 25, 2013

stayed here in november and though it is during the moonson season, it is still ok to visit and do some activities here on the island. theres positive and negative side of this resorts, lets starts with positive : nice resorts (though the rooms are quite badly maintain) despite that overall the resort has nice view, with a mini zoo ( which kids would love it) and the boat transfer was a mini ferry instead of a small speedboat.
negative : customer service is quite bad. i had to request many times for a simple yet very important item to be delivered to the room and had to call more than 4 times to keep reminding them and after a frustration period of 45 minutes, finally the item arrived. room were badly maintained though it is called a 'suite'. i paid RM2000 for 2 nights and i regret to say it is not worth it at all.
the seaview suite is right at the back portion of the island and it is isolated plus u have to walk and climb up the hill without having offered a buggy service by the resort. the suites which is located at the back of the island is far away from the lobby and theres isnt any security measurement and anyone could actually trespass the resort from the back area and incase of any emergency the front office wouldnt know as there is not even a security personnal assigned to guard around the island. for me security is very important as i travel with 4 young children.

overall i didnt quite like this place and if u are travelling with young kids dont think or plan of coming here during weekend or public holidays as the resort can get very pack and stuffy..
the bathroom full with fungus and bad smell.
for the price we paid, im certainly would say its way to much for such a resort. ive been to other resorts in most of the island in malaysia and i would say this resorts is quite badly managed,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank timetravellerz
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We planned to spend a nice diving weekend in this resort. Arriving in our little bungalow we recognised already that the bathroom has obviously been cleaned only superficially for weeks. We asked three times for the houskeeping. But all what they did, was changing the towels and sweeping up the sand. Same with the rooms. Sheets were clean, but having a look under the beds was quite disgusting.

Visability for diving was bad, therefore we decided to focus on the attractions that are offed by the resort and to relax a bit at the pool. Tennis is charged, which is in general ok, however I would have expected then that the court, rackets and balls are in a good condition which was not the case. The net was fixed wit a brush on the one side and (as far as I remember) with a bucket on the other side.
We signed for archery. As too many people showed up we were told that each of us is only allowed to shoot 5 arrows. After 5 min session was over.
To go on a banana boat trip was not possible, as the boat was "out of order".
However, the pool and beach area were clean and quiet. So we stayed there most of the time.

Food was ok, but service staff was very lazy. At dinner we recognised that they were discussing who of them has to go to collect the empty plates. We recognised that our coffee cups from the afternoon were still on the tables when we went for dinner.
We were charged for everything. Even when we asked for a cooler for our ice the staff wanted us to pay a rental fee.

In general I would say, that the location itself is really fantastic.The beaches are great and also the bungalows are build to fit nicely into the nature. The management of the facilities and staff must be totally crap. It is really dissappointing to see what they made out of this resort, that could be so nice.
Even the low-season-rate does not justify the cleanness, very loud aircon, equipment and possibility of "attractions".

Luckily we had us - making the best out of it and having fun.
We live in Singapore and hoped to find a nice location for more getaway options in the future. But we will definitely not choose Sibu Island Resort again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank weltreise79
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I was skeptical about heading to this resort after reading reviews back to back (not good ones) but I've been here before 11 yrs back and i loved it and I was curious to see if there are any changes made.
Went there with a heavy heart and thank god, i wasnt disappointed. We had the deluxe room and it didnt failed us. There were singers who welcomed us and instantly it cheers me up. We were also given a map of the resort.
Though the food was slightly expensive (we understand why) but it was delicious. Please try the tom yam! I had it twice for dinner during my stay .
There were loads of activities to do. Pool, table tennis, archery, flying fox , snorkelling. Etc etc. Snorkellig was upsetting cuz we went on a rainy season so water was kind of milky and choppy.
There is a small shop which sells many tings too. U may wanna buy from tanjong leman as its slitely cheaper.
I hope this helps. :)
And to feedback on the ferry to and fro. We hope in the future, please do nt overload passengers. We had to stand 30 mins and its unpleasent. And dangerous too. Tank u!

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Musliha
Reviewed January 6, 2013

1) When the time I make booking – Sales and Marketing Poor services on Duty and Sales responsibility.

Thanks for the mail.
I would like to check with you about the price for the package 3D2N, I read from the website your got " December Promotion " booking is from 29th Nov 2012 - 31st Dec 2012 but why you still billing me for the RM560 ?
Note: I called direct to their Sales Office to make the booking on 30th November 2012.

Sorry for the hassle. Actually, the promotion comes out after you book your package. But nevertheless, you can still change the package to ‘December Promo’ as we still honor the changes. I will get help from Reservation Dept to change it and email the revised one to you for your next action.

2) Shutter Services Arrangement – Give Wrong timing and No responsibility after Sales.

Ms. Aisha doesn’t know her job & irresponsible when things went wrong.
She reminded us to at Puteri Pacific Hotel lobby between 6:15 to 6:30 am, when pick up is at 6:45am as printed on Shutter Services Arrangement. We took taxi arrived hotel at 6:20am , No show of driver at 6:45am, we ask the Hotel staff to help us call Ms. Aisha of Sibu Island but she say wrong person and wrong no we called, Hotel staff reconfirmed it’s right !
We are no others choice we decided to request hotel staff help us to call direct to the Shutter Service person in-charge Mr. Nordin he answer up the pick-up time is 8:00am (pick-up time is 8:00am not 6:45am) and he ask us wait till 8:00am and give us the drive mobile contact no. Just in case we not able to look for the driver.

3) The amenities in the room;
1. Staircase steps was corrupted before enter to the room not well maintenance.(dangerous especially during raining day) during my staying days it was raining day.
2. Two Single bed join together and cover by 1 bed sheet become double bed, we called to Reception counter request to change other room, they call us back and say sorry for no others room available, but they can ask room services come to separate it to two single bed for us.
3. There was shoes mark on bed sheet, and the Towel with yellow dirty mark.
4. The lighting inside the room is not all function.
5. The room floor was dusty at the corner, under the chair and bed, and when I move the chair I saw a big piece broken glass on the floor..

4) The Lumba-Lumba Restaurant serve Breakfast lunch and dinners

The buffet breakfast, Lunch and dinner are below standard, I want to highlights here... all foods serve in cold not hot enough!!!
I want to emphasize: I really can not stand flies everywhere in the restaurant. And what is happening to us, during we have lunch, flies accidents dropped to my cousin's plate, and I went to get a salad vegetable, I saw a dead fly the inside the cucumber slices disk. This is really felt uncomfortable and unsanitary.

I was wonder why the Management never ever takes any action and said a single word!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank dolphinjac
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Poor food, lazy service and dirty rooms. The location is picturesque: wonderful beaches, use of sea kayaks and great views. The 'resort' is poorly maintained - rotten stairs to cabin, moudly bathroom, smelly rooms, dirty common toilets. Ok but not great. You can do better if you book ahead

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Brooke2802
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Timotel Hotel
Felda Residence Tanjung Leman
Muara Inn Hotel
Muara Inn Hotel
#6 of 14 in Mersing

Been to Sibu Island Resort? Share your experiences!