“Really good resort”

Felda Residence Tanjung Leman
Ranked #8 of 14 Mersing B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Although the location is quite remote (70+ miles) from Johor Bahru but the resort itself is really good. Clean room, big pool, basic gym facilities, and friendly staff. However, food variety at the cafe need be improve. Definitely will come again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
10  Thank andai
There are newer reviews for Felda Residence Tanjung Leman

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Location:To get to the hotel, you have to drive through acres and acres of palm oil plantation.

Building: new hotel, beautiful lobby(I love the high ceiling). Room is small though.

Pool: nice, huge but i wish that the hotel could impose some rules to disallow guests entering the pool
In normal attire. It is a common in most Malaysia hotel pools to allow people swim in their normal attire (t-shirts, track bottoms etc). I don't like it at all ever since I had a few bad experiences; once at felda Tekam in Pahang (the water was oily and smelt of perfume, which came from their t-shirts I think). The other time in PD,I saw some parents let their kids swum in their diapers)..

Food: not good. Same menu for two consecutive days. Something which looked like a pie was too hard to chew!

Staff: very friendly, nice and helpful ESP those incharge of recreation activities. They helped me when I got stung by a jellyfish.They suggested my family to discover the small towns of Sedili.

I don't know if I want to come here
In future. To me it is too far away, unless you want to go to Sibu island,you can stay here overnight before taking the ferry.

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank Fizakadir
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Felda residence Tanjung Leman is actually like a chalet. This is what i felt for de 3 days staying here. Not implying that it's bad, but most of its guest here are local malaysians. Cant see any foreigner's at all during my stay. But it' s fun to see Malaysians with their families having a good time swimming in de pool, playing volleyball on de beach and so on. Felda residences caters much to company events for families to gather. Without this events going on, this place will be quiet and boring. We booked for a deluxe room and we got a nice one facing the Rough moonsoon period sea. Windy and occasional rain that drops and stops within seconds. It's also a long long way in thru plantations to get here just FYI. Wi fi is available but has many blindspots.

Service: Dont expect a warm welcome like any other resorts. For frequent travellers, perhaps you would expect a warm welcome with cold/warm towels with welcome drinks. All you get here is you will have to approach the counter and greet the reception staffs for check in. But reception staffs here are not rude. Just quiet and lack of character,flair or innitiative to bring hospitality to it's guests.Their mindset is perhaps fixed on a chalet business instead of a resort. Bellman are not visable and you're expected to take the keys and find you're own way to the room with your bags.The bellman are there, only when u insist of your luggages to be carried. Thats what i observed. Rest of staffs like housekeping, security guards & technician are role players. But have to give compliments to some of them for at least greeting me with a smile if they pass by (always by the technicians). Operators are a one touch service by dialing '0'. I had a power trip on my room, dialled it many times but no one answers. I have to walk near the reception and guess which staffs is the technician. The food and beverage deparment restaurant and room service are run by a subsidary company. Its serves a very good buffet breakfast with a lot of malaysian food varieties. While its lunch and dinner serves a selection of western and local cuisine(ala carte or semi buffet). Prices are not steep. Eg: Spaghetti + Fish n chips + a scoop of ice cream + coke + tea= $52 ringgit. Staffs are friendly and approachable here at Sibu restaurant.

Rooms: Superior are standard size (not that big)but its worth to spend just a little bit more for deluxe or suite rooms for bigger space & comfort. If you come with 3 pax, a deluxe room comes with a sofa bed. My deluxe room is clea and modern concept and it's tomy liking except that it has a connecting door to the next superior room. Noise filter does not exist. Bathroom is just fine by size and has a standing rain shower with hot water. Complimentary coffee, tea nad 2 bottles of mineral water is replenish every day. No minibar or any alcohol. I really enjoyed my deluxe room as i can open my back room glass door and have a nice view of the beach and sea. Breathtaking and relaxing is what i call it.

Facilities: Not much is provided to cater for guest as it has only a small gym, pool (closes at 7pm), function room & business centre. No karaoke rooms, no games rooms or anything else. Kinda bored for a three night stay honestly.

Outside premises: Tanjung Leman jetty is just located 3 mins less by drive. This is where they ferry us to Sibu islands and it cost $70 ringgit per pax. Not advisable to go on moonsoon season eg now in December. Strong winds and waves.Ferry's or boats will not ferry you anywhere. There is Kentucky Fried chicken outlet at that area. The one and only fast food outlet around here. Dont bother to find any good food out and around the kampung area. You'd be dissapointed. Provision shops are available though and flea markets at Tenggaroh 2 on Tuesday.

Overall experience, I felt that the local malaysian families are very friendly and if you just want a very short relaxation and without much things to do. Here is the place to stay. All turn quiet after 7pm. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

• Stayed: December 2011
10  Thank Asiadreams
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My second stay here, i specifically choose this hotel as my family is extremely happy the last time we were here. Check in was smooth, room has been prepared prior to my arrival as for this time i made a booking.. :) Friendly & efficient service from Front Desk staff, did not get her name as she was wearing a "Trainee" name tag. Bellman is available to assist with your bags too. Excellent services from the Bellman (Did not get his name too), remembered our family and made us felt welcomed. I stayed in one of the suites as it is really comfortable, clean and very suitable for family. This time i got a seaview facing room, really enjoyed the view! :) The pool is beautiful and the scenery is breathtaking. We did order the room service that night, have to say that the food is just allright, nothing really special. And the foods there are a bit pricey. They also provide free wifi, and have a little convenience store which sold drinks & ect at normal price. My mum and niece went for breakfast and this time they managed to eat as the hotel is not full and foods are still available. We were given a late check out for which i am very grateful. This place is really amazing, displaying malaysian great hospitality. I definitely will come again soon as my family has fallen in love with it.. :) Thank you for the excellent services provided to us and see u guys soon! I highly recommend this place for family getaway..

Room Tip: If travelling withn family, book a suite as it is really affordable
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Lady_N82
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband and I came across this hotel while surfing the hotel websites, and we did not book online as there is not much reviews on this hotel because it is still new. Instead we decided to go there to have a look before we decide to stay there or not. We decided to stay there for a night after we reached there and go around the place. And surprisingly, we got a promotional rate which rounds up about the same rate as the rate offered online.

It is quiet, new(some rooms still under renovation). The front office staffs are polite( especially Mr. Fadzli who always greet you with a smile) and helpful. As it is not peak season and is on weekday, the hotel occupancy rate was not high, we manage to get a superior room with seaview. View is so nice and we felt so comfortable with the sound of seawaves and the nice view. Room is spacious, aircon is working very well. And the whole place is so quiet and peaceful except once in a while drilling sound from the room next to us, there are some workers doing some renovation touch up works. But they had tried their best to lower down the noise.

We went to swim in the pool in the afternoon, and enjoyed very much because there was nobody else except my husband and I. It's like we had booked the whole place. It's so great swimming in the pool with just the two of us!!! Nobody came to disturb and even the hotel staffs passed by, they just smiled and walked away. Their friendly smile really made us feel more comfortable!!!

One thing that wasted a bit of oour time is that when we intended to make payment via credit card, their machine was down and we had to drive to mersing to draw some local cash and back to the hotel to pay. The whole journey to and fro the hotel took us 2hrs. So make sure you prepare enough cash to cover your hotel rate at least and some extra money for food. Prepare some potato chips and cup noodles if you are someone who will feel hungry in the middle of the night, as there are no other food outlets around that area, only one KFC at the jetty to Sibu Island. And it is not 24hrs. And if you are someone who like to drink beers, please buy some before you go to the hotel as the hotel doesn't sell beers or alcoholic drinks at all.

We took our dinner at the hotel cafe and the fried Kuay Teow is very very delicious, but the cantonese fried noodles is not good at all. Think the chef is better with spicy and fried dishes, not chinese style cooking. Breakfast was good, even with low occupancy rate, they still bother to prepare quite a variety of food such as, fried beehoon, nasi lemak, half boiled eggs, breads, sausage and hams, fruits, malay cookies and kuay, coffee and teas, milk, fruit juices, chicken, porridge etc. With that kind of hotel rate, the food and room and services you get is really fantastic, and worth the money you pay for it. It is so much better than what you get at kota tinggi waterfall resort, the one we initially intended to book.

In conclusion, Felda Residence Tanjung Leman is a good choice that we had made, I strongly recommend it. If you intend to have a peaceful, quiet and romantic couple trip, this is the place to go. And if there is enough time, you may go to the jetty(which is just 3mins ride from the hotel) and get a boat ride to the nearby Sibu Island!!!

Room Tip: Ask for seaview room, superior room is spacious enough,
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Clanceroy
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Nice and clean beach. Clean and comfortable rooms. Amenities were still new and hence a pleasure to use! The restaurant offerred a simple variety but decent portions, reasonably priced and good enough for a 2 day getaway. Kids loved it. Good and friendly service.
Will go again for sure!

Room Tip: Deluxe room came with an additional sofa bed .
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank SheilaQ
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed 1 night during the weekend with my family. Just passing by and saw the resort. Walked in and stayed in one of the suites. Price very affordable and i must say that i really really love the room.Room is spacious with living room. LCD TV & DVD Player (Which is rare in most hotel i stayed) available in both room. My family loved the swimming pool. My parents went for breakfast however the foods were finished by 10AM. Understandable as the resort was full with groups and families during that. Overall, pleasantly surprised to find such comfy and modern establishment in the middle of nowhere. Will definitely come back to stay here as soon as possible! :)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lady_N82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
Embassy Hotel
Muara Inn Hotel
Muara Inn Hotel
#6 of 14 in Mersing
Sari Pacifica Hotel, Resort & Spa Sibu Island

Been to Felda Residence Tanjung Leman? Share your experiences!